PDA

View Full Version : N9: Accuweather not updating automatically on events-view.

skripis
2011-10-27, 07:51
Short story: Accuweather suddenly stopped updating/showing the weather in the upper right corner. I have to click it to enter the applicaton itself, and then exit to view the weather in the corner.
If I then leave the device on standby for a while, and unlock it, the icon is "blank" again. (Only showing the AW logo.)

What have I done? I can't see any settings for the accuweather "widget", anywhere...

toki
2011-10-27, 07:53
its been happening to me as well.. not really sure how to fix it..

skripis
2011-10-27, 07:59
FYI I have disabled all FB, Twitter and RSS feeds. Dunno if they are responsible...?

toki
2011-10-27, 08:01
nope.. iv got all mine active, but accuweather doesnt update itself..

tplastic
2011-10-27, 08:15
Same here....

zaoltryence
2011-10-27, 08:23
Same here i think its the problem of the app itself or something

marrat
2011-10-27, 08:42
The AccuWeather sync seems to work over the msyncd daemon running in the background (at least I found an awx sync plugin for this) and it looks like as soon this sync does not work automatically, the weather forecast disappears, it does not cache the forecast for this event view.

A reboot often fixed this for me. Also, you have to make sure you have allowed background connections, otherwise the msyncd is not allowed to do its sync.

The other possibility is to install MeeCast and replace the events view plugin of AccuWeather with the one from MeeCast (How-To is in the MeeCast thread). I've switched to this for a few days now and it works fine. Contrary to the AccuWeather plugin, the MeeCast indeed seems to do a caching of the forecast and still shows it (albeit maybe not the real state of a changed forecast) without any internet connection.

skripis
2011-10-27, 08:45
Ok. Let's hope it's one 1 of the 3500 fixes. :)

I'll try out MeeCast and see how I like that.

masab
2011-10-28, 12:30
I had the same problems until I allowed the background connections. Now it seems to be just fine.

skripis
2011-10-28, 16:49
Background connections are allowed on my device too.

I uninstalled AW and installed MeeCast. However, I don't like the forecasts themselves, Accuweather is more detailed. How do I go about installing Accuweather again? :o

Creamy Goodness
2011-10-28, 17:25
My n950 had this problem with the beta2 firmware, then when they updated us to 1.1 it's fixed.
apt-get install wxapp if you lost accuweather. I had to do this after restoring a backup.

ENNINE
2012-03-06, 01:02
There is an update for AccuWeather, to:1.0.17+8m, about 4,5 MB.

navot
2012-03-06, 04:43
I just got a second update on Acuweather and im on PR1.2

delmar
2012-03-09, 12:18
since I've updated accuweather I've got a similar issue like mentioned in post 1. I have to open the pgm from the right corner and then close it to show the actually weather situation in the icon, but after a few minutes the icon goes frozen again.

Because I'm on PR1.1 (damn country variants) I don't know if this is related with the missing PR1.2

kai_en
2012-03-09, 13:04
I think I've stumbled upon a quick/temporary fix. I seemed that by disabling developer's mode, delete the developer's package and re-enable back developer's mode, let it reboot. That seemed to solve the accuweather problem. However, I suspect that this workaround only last until the next reboot. Then you have to repeat the procedure again. Will keep you guys posted should I find out anything else.

cddiede
2012-03-09, 20:31
Well, I've disabled devel mode, uninstalled dev-utils and dev mode packages. Then I rebooted, refreshed the accuweather, re-enabled dev mode, and re-installed the devel packages that were removed.

So far my weather icon hasn't blanked out, but I'll keep watching it...

Arie
2012-03-09, 20:46
Well, I've disabled devel mode, uninstalled dev-utils and dev mode packages. Then I rebooted, refreshed the accuweather, re-enabled dev mode, and re-installed the devel packages that were removed.

Use Meecast, accuweather sucks. :cool:

litemotiv
2012-03-09, 23:08

I've tried it, but even though it has a dozen of different icon sets, i really don't like any of them and feel that they disturb the UI of the feed screen...

kai_en
2012-03-10, 08:14

Meecast is not accurate at where I am staying.

By the way, I found that the icon will not update in the morning once I switchback from flight mode during the night and I have to redo the uninstall and reinstall dev-mode method all over again.

Arthuro_Adam
2012-03-10, 19:00
Somewhere wrote that the problem come up when the connection changed (wifi-3g). I have that problem.

Arie
2012-03-11, 01:29
I've tried it, but even though it has a dozen of different icon sets, i really don't like any of them and feel that they disturb the UI of the feed screen...

Meecast is not accurate at where I am staying.

By the way, I found that the icon will not update in the morning once I switchback from flight mode during the night and I have to redo the uninstall and reinstall dev-mode method all over again.

Both of you please post your complaints in the meecast thread here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76291&highlight=meecast

Thanks, Vlad the developer himself will respond to you and help you fix your problems.

kai_en
2012-03-11, 10:17
Both of you please post your complaints in the meecast thread here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76291&highlight=meecast

Thanks, Vlad the developer himself will respond to you and help you fix your problems.

oh I think you have misunderstood, the icon not updating part, I was refering on accuweather after the fix I mentioned earlier.

marrat
2012-03-11, 10:43
For me, a simple reboot fixed that problem in the past (on PR1.0). Since PR1.1 I didn't have the problem anymore. When I had a period without internet connection, the icon would go blank after an hour (seems the default update interval). But when connection was restored, at the next check interval everything was fine again.

kai_en
2012-03-12, 04:04
For me, a simple reboot fixed that problem in the past (on PR1.0). Since PR1.1 I didn't have the problem anymore. When I had a period without internet connection, the icon would go blank after an hour (seems the default update interval). But when connection was restored, at the next check interval everything was fine again.

I think you have to re-read the whole thread to grasp the issue on accuweather PR 1.2

Arie
2012-03-12, 04:23
oh I think you have misunderstood, the icon not updating part, I was refering on accuweather after the fix I mentioned earlier.

Accuweather sucks, use Meecast.

efion
2012-03-12, 05:30
Accuweather sucks, use Meecast.

I think the guy is clearly want a solving statement on Accuweather bug, rather than an alternative app statement.

Anyway,
I've tried MeeCast, but after i uninstall it, the lockscreen icon was still appeared, reboot won't fix it.
But restoring my backup before the MeeCast installation did solved it.

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-14, 11:32
So whats the fix for this caching bug?
I dont want to use background connections :/

marrat
2012-03-14, 12:45
So whats the fix for this caching bug?
I dont want to use background connections :/

Accuweather relies on background connections. If you want a weather display without background connections, only Meecast can bring you this.

litemotiv
2012-03-14, 14:17
I have contacted AccuWeather support about this and other issues. Apparently they are trying to push a new release with fixes to the store, but Nokia has been a bit slow with updating the package. It should be there one of these days though.

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-14, 14:53
:/ i just need the caching.. also, no ads would be great :)

Beelzebassie
2012-03-20, 14:47
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but AccuWeather does seem to update if the energy saving mode is disabled.

Noticed that when my energy saved N9 was being recharged - and the device goes into normal mode - it keeps track of the weather...

marrat
2012-03-20, 15:21
Observed another ocassion that AccuWeather wouldn't update anymore automatically after being in Power Saver mode and later in Normal mode again.

Two ways of fixing this: Reboot your phone OR (much faster, but Terminal required) kill the "msyncd" process of the Buteo-Sync-Framework for which AccuWeather just has a plugin for updating the homescreen widget.

After killing msyncd and restarting AccuWeather, a new instance of msyncd will be started, this time with the AccuWeather plugin correctly loaded again.

kai_en
2012-03-21, 04:25
Observed another ocassion that AccuWeather wouldn't update anymore automatically after being in Power Saver mode and later in Normal mode again.

Two ways of fixing this: Reboot your phone OR (much faster, but Terminal required) kill the "msyncd" process of the Buteo-Sync-Framework for which AccuWeather just has a plugin for updating the homescreen widget.

After killing msyncd and restarting AccuWeather, a new instance of msyncd will be started, this time with the AccuWeather plugin correctly loaded again.
cant seemed to find the process using the top command

marrat
2012-03-21, 11:35
cant seemed to find the process using the top command

Look with 'ps'

> ps | grep msyncd

and then

> kill <msyncd PID>

kai_en
2012-03-21, 22:56
Look with 'ps'

> ps | grep msyncd

and then

> kill <msyncd PID>

1280 user /usr/bin/msyncd

so this is the process that i should be killing?

Fuzzillogic
2012-03-21, 23:12
I'd try to do it the nice way first, by graciously restarting the service instead of recklessly killing it:

~ # /sbin/initctl restart xsession/msyncd

Run as root. No need to look up the PID.

However, it didn't help in my case (killing msynd didn't either).

marrat
2012-03-22, 10:06
1280 user /usr/bin/msyncd

so this is the process that i should be killing?

Yes, that helped for me.

In your case it would be

> kill 1280

But as I see, for Fuzzillogic it didn't help... Strange bugs are strange...

delmar
2012-03-27, 12:02
The problem is back!

After I had made the update from Accuweather, the weather situation has not been updated on the screen. This problem could be solved as follows:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1177188&postcount=16

Now, this problem reappeared, though in the meantime I have done nothing else except phone-calls, internet, sms and installed two games from the store ( Bugs Smoke + Free Cell).

For a complete information: I'm actually running PR 1.1 because the damn "country variant".

SamGan
2012-03-27, 12:24

I did the above and Accuweather is updating. But there is still a strange bug. After coming out of airplane mode Accuweather refuse to update until a reboot. Very annoying.

marrat
2012-03-27, 12:30
I did the above and Accuweather is updating. But there is still a strange bug. After coming out of airplane mode Accuweather refuse to update until a reboot. Very annoying.

Yes, after flight mode I have the same problem. But killing msyncd solves the problem for me without rebooting.

efion
2012-03-29, 01:12
I do the reset devtools and kill msyncd tasks.
But after 5-10 minutes, the weather icon is blank again.
I'm out on this.

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-29, 01:13
Yes, after flight mode I have the same problem. But killing msyncd solves the problem for me without rebooting.

The only way i got it working was to disable the battery saver mode and turn background connections on :)

efion
2012-03-29, 01:18
The only way i got it working was to disable the battery saver mode and turn background connections on :)

OK, i was not tried yet with background connection ON.
I'll try it, although i know it will cut the batteris into half.

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-29, 01:19
OK, i was not tried yet with background connection ON.
I'll try it, although i know it will cut the batteris into half.

Dont forget to reboot :) Its important.
But with PR1.2 it doesnt drain that much, i have a daemon running background and the phone hangs 1 day with regular use :) battery save was just about the same :D

efion
2012-03-29, 01:37
Dont forget to reboot :) Its important.
But with PR1.2 it doesnt drain that much, i have a daemon running background and the phone hangs 1 day with regular use :) battery save was just about the same :D

Thx for the info
Trying now :)

delmar
2012-03-29, 06:40
The first Time I had solved the problem by uninstalling the entire Developer stuff, but after 2 weeks it has reappeared.

After I had done this procedure again and had installed the Developer stuff again, Accuweather has ever stopped working. For several days I have hence this developer stuff again uninstalled and Accuweather works perfectly. The problem seems to be so effective in these two applications that are somehow incompatible.

Edit: I've enabled always the background connections

marrat
2012-03-29, 09:11

Uhm... yes... Accuweather only syncs with background connections. It seems to built this way. It tries to sync every hour and if there is no active connection, it cannot sync and greys out the icon on the Events screen. It doesn't initiate a connection to sync when background connections are disabled.

dumpystig
2012-03-29, 18:45
Uhm... yes... Accuweather only syncs with background connections. It seems to built this way. It tries to sync every hour and if there is no active connection, it cannot sync and greys out the icon on the Events screen. It doesn't initiate a connection to sync when background connections are disabled.

Yep, that seems how it works - which makes perfect sense to me.

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-30, 18:37
But.. It stops working correctly when battery save mode is on :/
Restarting process now..

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-30, 18:40

So.. u say it syncs every hour.. Any way to go to a config file to change this? If more sync time.. more cache time?

This is just me throwing ideas :P

dumpystig
2012-03-30, 18:50
That's the intentional thinking behind battery/power saving mode - to stop using any apps that require more current draw and therefore prolong battery life. So it's working correctly, just not how you would like it - you can't have your cake....

tiiagoFernandez
2012-03-30, 19:33
That's the intentional thinking behind battery/power saving mode - to stop using any apps that require more current draw and therefore prolong battery life. So it's working correctly, just not how you would like it - you can't have your cake....

sorry, not what i meant.
The thing is when battery save mode gets on, the accu weather sync stops. ok to that. but when save mode is off again, the sync dont gets on.. has to be forced..

dumpystig
2012-03-30, 21:12
Ah, OK. I'm not sure about that, in fact I will have to see how mine is functioning although up to now I don't think there are any probs...

SamGan
2012-03-31, 07:14
I'd try to do it the nice way first, by graciously restarting the service instead of recklessly killing it:

~ # /sbin/initctl restart xsession/msyncd

Run as root. No need to look up the PID.

However, it didn't help in my case (killing msynd didn't either).

This command works to reset Accuweather to update again after coming out of airplane mode if run in terminal. But when I create a *.desktop file to execute it it doesn't work. Anybody knows why? Is it because it requires root access?

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Name=ResetAccu
Exec=sh -c '/sbin/initctl restart xsession/msyncd'
Icon=/usr/share/applications/iconaccu.png
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable

efion
2012-04-13, 14:00
To everybody who found Accuweather stops updating again after run all those command above, try to installing Restore Accuweather for N9 on Nokia Store.
Running all day long and keep updating til now...

dolphins
2012-04-14, 03:21
2nd that, Restore Accuweather worked for me too

SamGan
2012-04-15, 07:14
To everybody who found Accuweather stops updating again after run all those command above, try to installing Restore Accuweather for N9 on Nokia Store.
Running all day long and keep updating til now...

It doesn't update after coming out of airplane mode.

ajalkane
2012-04-15, 07:19
This command works to reset Accuweather to update again after coming out of airplane mode if run in terminal. But when I create a *.desktop file to execute it it doesn't work. Anybody knows why? Is it because it requires root access?

Yes, initctl requires running as root.

SamGan
2012-04-15, 09:17
Yes, initctl requires running as root.

So is there any way to write root access into the script?

tiiagoFernandez
2012-04-15, 19:03
2nd that, Restore Accuweather worked for me too

So i did this one and uninstalled the 'organizer' app that uses a running background daemon to sync feeds with calendar automaticaly.
AccuWeather now works normal again.. One of those fixed it :D

efion
2012-04-16, 01:12
It doesn't update after coming out of airplane mode.

Never done that.
It's almost 5 days in normal profile, and keep updating.

Edit:
Tried offline mode, the icon still there but it's not updating for about 5 minutes, entered Accuweather app and it's updating again.

Matt-UAE
2012-09-23, 19:26
I have an issue updating the latest update I receive via OTA
for my Accuweather on my N9. It does not get updated and gives me an error.

To simplify I have attached the below 2 snapshots.
Appreciate any help on this please, coz even if I click on "Ignore the update", it comes back in few days and again fails.
( I am on PR 1.3 and UAE based )

minimos
2012-09-23, 20:57
for my Accuweather on my N9. It does not get updated and gives me an error
Hmm... the dependencies for accuweather package don't seem so bad:
Depends: libqt4 (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqt4-network (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqt4-xml (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqtm-location (>= 1.2.0), libqtm-sensors (>= 1.1.1)

If you have PR1.3 all those libraries should be already newer than what accuweather requires.
Do you have possibility to try to install accuweather from command line? ("apt-get install wxapp" would be the command to use). The error reported would help to understand which package bring an incompatibility.

Matt-UAE
2012-09-24, 12:03
Hmm... the dependencies for accuweather package don't seem so bad:
Depends: libqt4 (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqt4-network (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqt4-xml (>= 4.7.3~git20110418-0maemo1), libqtm-location (>= 1.2.0), libqtm-sensors (>= 1.1.1)

If you have PR1.3 all those libraries should be already newer than what accuweather requires.
Do you have possibility to try to install accuweather from command line? ("apt-get install wxapp" would be the command to use). The error reported would help to understand which package bring an incompatibility.

Minimos.. Thanks for yr reply. But I m honestly not very user friendly with Terminal... The update is not a must for me.. As Accuweather still gives me accurate info and refreshes regularly.

The only thing annoys me is that the Software Update notification comes back every few days, ending in update failure.. thats it..
(cant even resolve by clicking on 'ignore update')

thedead1440
2012-09-24, 12:07
I'm quite sure this is an issue due to OTA updating to pr1.3...

Matt-UAE even though you are not familiar with terminal just do the following in it and it should work:

devel-su
rootme [this is default password]
apt-get install wxapp
apt-get install -f

Matt-UAE
2012-10-01, 08:38
for my Accuweather on my N9. It does not get updated and gives me an error.

To simplify I have attached the below 2 snapshots.
Appreciate any help on this please, coz even if I click on "Ignore the update", it comes back in few days and again fails.
( I am on PR 1.3 and UAE based )

<<<<<<<<<< No luck yet.. i still get this Accuweather update prompt every few days which I cant update and I have to click on Ignore Update. I dont need to even have this Weather info so already have disabled the Accuweather widget from homescreen, through Home Screen Setting app. But what to do about this update that I cant update..... Help ??? >>>>>>>>>>>

SamGan
2012-10-02, 02:01
Matt-UAE, did you try the solution given by thedead1440 one post above you? I had the same upgrading problem and it solved my problem.

cabiludo
2015-08-17, 13:14
who has the running app could post here as it is the file contents:

/home/user/.config/AccuWeather, Inc./awxapp.conf

for us compare

milev86
2015-08-28, 07:08
Why AccuWeather dont work properly?! Is it stop worked, as Facebook and other MeeGo apps?! Any idea for repair?! :confused:

chrm
2015-08-28, 08:52
They have changed the API.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95493&page=9

Uninstall Accu and install MeeCast.

ka9yhd
2015-10-13, 05:18
Has AccuWeather stopped supporting version 1.0.19 on the N9?

Because all I get is a zero degrees and a blank screen, but the maps for the radar still work.
It has been doing this for the last 2 or 3 months.

Bharateeyudu
2015-11-29, 18:57
ka9hyd, I am afraid you're right. Check the post before yours on this thread, they apparently changed the API. Use MeeCast instead: https://openrepos.net/content/vasvlad/meecast

It's currently the best and vasvlad does a great job supporting the app!

ka9yhd
2016-08-08, 07:14
And more recently the weather maps stopped working. So I have uninstalled AccuWeather and installed MeeCast.

Now if I can find an app that will show the weather maps.