PDA

View Full Version : Thread with Poll: How is the N9 Responsiveness over time?

stefanmohl
2011-10-31, 16:03
Many of the reviews have lauded the N9 for being very responsive. But, reviewers don't always have time to start using the device heavily before writing their article. The N900 has quite some problems with responsiveness over time (often due to poor process separation between hildon-home and widgets). How is the N9, once you have started using it properly?

shockr
2011-10-31, 18:58
I've only had mine for 4 days now so I don't think I'm in a position to answer this poll.

However, I've noticed that the wireless sometimes misbehaves and stops detecting networks (this has happened twice) altogether and the only way to fix this is a restart. The phone also rebooted on its own once when I was trying to plug in a headset while playing music. This happened 2 days ago and I'm really not sure what caused this but it's been stable since then.

Rugoz
2011-11-01, 00:32
Its smooth in general, but it still could need improvements performance-wise. E.g. music player, maps or others tend to slow down the system considerably, resulting in a not so responsive UI (hickups). I hope most performance issues will be resolved with PR1.1 :).

dymaxion
2011-11-02, 04:41
I've had mine a few days now, and yes the phone does stutter and pause every now and again, but there's no apparent reason, it's not the number of apps because I have on occasion had only 4-6 small apps running. Other times I've had 20+ apps including big ones such as NokiaMaps and it's still been smooth

So I'm guessing perhaps it's some sort of system process going awry, or scheduler gone mad. I'll click on some action buttons in an app and nothing happens and then suddenly after 30secs it wakes up and responds to the backlog of UI requests. Overall however it's super buttery smooth.

I've had a few other bugs such as the lockscreen go completely pear shaped and rendered in 8 bit with the quick launch buttons double in size, and a few other quirks such as web browser rendering of page images corrupted. Hope they fix these things in PR1.1

cloud596
2011-11-02, 04:49
while charge i always shutdown the device thats why i never encounter any lags yet

gerbick
2011-11-02, 04:50
No rhyme nor reason on the hiccups so far. I've been without them so far until today. I couldn't find any reason either. Only two apps were running - web browser and messages. Fresh off of a reboot and hit with a slight hiccup.

None beforehand.

ajalkane
2011-11-02, 05:57
I have noticed some background processes that occasionally run can slowdown the system. For example a process ominously named smartsearch, which probably is related to the search application.

Manatus
2011-11-02, 06:25
Uptime four days and no N900 like slowing down apparent yet. I suspect we don't see those soon, as with N900 it was mostly caused by increased swapping load on hildon components coupled with slow sdcard IO. N9 has 256 megs of swap created with compcache and none on the flash card, so we are not going to have much IO related slowness on this device unless heavily loaded cpu wise.

Also if something leaks memory only so slightly, it is going to take time until we notice when the phone simply stops and does not come around anymore without a reboot.

biatch0
2011-11-02, 10:17
Almost 3 weeks with mine, seems to be no different then when I got it.

optimistprime
2011-11-02, 10:42
how is the responsiveness with screen protectors? any recommendations on protectors to use?