PDA

View Full Version : N9 WLAN issue

sunc
2011-11-04, 01:17
So, I have a D-Link DIR-615 wireless router at my office, set up in "bridged" mode (LAN only), WPA pre-shared key. The problem is that while N9 can connect to the network and gets a DHCP lease, mail web etc times out. I get no replies to ping (either way), same for ARP unicast requests to N9. However ARP broadcast works.

Attached are dmesg and syslog output from a connection attempt.

Interestingly, I tried to reboot the router, and voilą - everything worked perfectly... for about five minutes :confused:

I wonder if this is a problem with the router, N9 or maybe both? iPhone and SGS have no such issue.

rAtmAn
2011-11-04, 07:36
I have had similar problems with same D-link model. As long i stay close to router, connection works just fine. If i move few meters away, WLAN stops working. After that router also drop out all other connected devices because of connection problems with N9.
With N900 don't have similar problem.

noetus
2011-11-04, 07:58
I also have issues if not physically close to the router at home. I believe the N9 has wireless connectivity issues, and I also believe these are due to be fixed in upcoming updates.

reinob
2011-11-04, 08:05
@sunc,

It seems that your router does not properly support powersaving mode.
From your dmesg:
"wl1271: AP with dysfunctional ps-poll, trying to work around it."

That means the WLAN firmware detected that powersaving doesn't work OK with the router.

You could try disabling any power-saving options in your router (if at all possible) and/or disabling power-saving for WLAN on your N9 (no idea if that's possible, in the N900 it is).

sunc
2011-11-04, 14:50
You could try disabling any power-saving options in your router (if at all possible) and/or disabling power-saving for WLAN on your N9 (no idea if that's possible, in the N900 it is).

I don't think there are any power-saving options on the router (couldn't find 'em). As for the N9, I have the same issue both with power-saving mode (general) on and off. Not sure whether it has any effect on WLAN PS though. Any shell magic I can try (I'm UNIX user/dev for years but mobile Linux is something new for me)?

On a side note, can anyone suggest a WLAN AP/router that works with N9 with no troubles?

Thanks

legoman666
2011-11-04, 16:36
I don't think there are any power-saving options on the router (couldn't find 'em). As for the N9, I have the same issue both with power-saving mode (general) on and off. Not sure whether it has any effect on WLAN PS though. Any shell magic I can try (I'm UNIX user/dev for years but mobile Linux is something new for me)?

On a side note, can anyone suggest a WLAN AP/router that works with N9 with no troubles?

Thanks

Anything with dd-wrt works great in my experience. I use a WRT54g at work that has dd-wrt installed. At home, I use an Asus RT-N16 with dd-wrt. Both work perfect.

I had problems with a linksys wap54g, but I think it might have been a fault with the device itself, not the N9.

Soppa
2011-11-05, 21:00
I have a d-link dir-855 wireless router at home (WPA2). While for me it does work perfectly with N9, good reception throughout the whole flat, I've had problems with WLAN reception at work (FortiAP wireless access points). Konttori's blog states that there are numerous WLAN improvements in the next firmware update (PR1.1).

cpitchford
2011-11-25, 13:15
I'm using a dual band set up at work with 2.4GHz and 5.2GHz 802.11n/g/a/b. Its a cisco corporate set up.

I can remain connected to the wifi all day (it picks 5GHz automatically, not sure how to force it to 2.4 at the moment) However, if I use bluetooth it will report the dysfunctional ap error and stop talking to the network ( I can't ping out and I assume that nothing can reach my N9 either.. but I can't prove this)

I've turned on my bluetooth headphones and less than 10 minutes later its fallen off the network..

This is repeatable consistently at work on 5GHz... Bluetooth + 5GHz seems to wreck the wlan connection..

I'm going to try and find out if I can connect to 2.4GHz and reproduce (it would be on the same AP equipment here)

I will also try at home where I have a Linksys E4200 (2.4/5GHz 11abgn) and a Billion 7800n (2.4 bgn)

tl;dr I can connect 802.11n on 5GHz, but if I use bluetooth the wlan connection fails

jalyst
2011-11-25, 15:09
That's lame...
I want to use Bluetooth & 802.11an or 802.11gn simultaneously.

You on PR1.1? Maybe try a full reset, re-flash, full reset, and a reboot.

I hope it's not a universal bug/issue...
Once/if you're certain it is, you'll have to report it in the bug-tracker.

cpitchford
2011-11-25, 15:21
I'm sitting here listening to music via BT headsets and I'm off the wifi lan.. even though iwconfig reports I'm connected:

$ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0: IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"mynetwork"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.18 GHz Access Point: 08:17:xx:xx:xx:xx
Bit Rate=54 MB/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=50/70 Signal level=-60 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0