PDA

View Full Version : Bent/slightly broken usb cover

chrisp7
2011-11-10, 01:40
Anyone else has this issue? - mine opened up somehow and caught on something and is bent so wont sit flat now. Its a pretty bad design..

Maemomd
2011-11-10, 03:06
Word on the street is they will be selling replacements soon, and they are easily swappable. Although, instead of N9 it will be for the Nokia 800, but the parts are the same on those areas.

F2thaK
2011-11-10, 04:27
i hate the cover, id take it off but it would look ugly

dolphins
2011-11-10, 04:54
Word on the street is they will be selling replacements soon, and they are easily swappable. Although, instead of N9 it will be for the Nokia 800, but the parts are the same on those areas.

Good point. A bit funny that the clone of N9 will be helpful when it comes to things like this. So it's good the clone is supported lol.

ste-phan
2011-11-10, 06:21
Recognizable.
After 2 weeks mine was hardly movable without dangerously bending the lid.
Reason was the plastic on plastic friction by the spring system that pushes the cover in position (2 step) and the cover part itself.

The cover came out with no damage, but usage marks were clearly visable.

Here is a picture of the phone with the lid off. (how to imbed flickr pictures anyway?)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69122168@N07/6322663895/in/photostream

It is not only the cover that needs care but also the tiny spring stamper, located under the inox hinge.

I doubt Nokia will sell user installable spare parts for that.

So it is better to apply some oil film on the touching plastic parts and you are good to go for another couple of days / weeks.

dolphins
2011-11-10, 06:42
So for you does it come loose without effort? Kind of worried about this now, I haven't used it enough to experience this but when loose it looks ugly

ste-phan
2011-11-10, 07:57
So for you does it come loose without effort? Kind of worried about this now, I haven't used it enough to experience this but when loose it looks ugly

True, the lid came of by itself because of the force needed to open close it (also bending it). At a certain moment it came out but undamaged.

It just needed lubricant, after application it could be clicked back firmly and now it is a joy to click open and close. But that won't last a year of course.

High tech precision material needs maintenance to remain in good shape for functioning as a status symbol, like your Ducatti or Ferrari :)

I would not just remove the cover, it leaves a big gap to catch dust and dirt that possibly will find its way to the internals.

gonzo
2011-12-06, 12:30
How did you manage to remove the USB cover? Mine didn't break but doesn't look nice anymore. I asked a Nokia repair center and they would send me a new USB cover. But I am not sure how the remove the old one. I don't want break the rest of the case. Do I simply have to pull with much force? Thanks for your help.

Niwakame
2011-12-07, 18:25
The service manual states that you should pull it away from the phone, parallel to the screen, when open.

So when you look in portrait mode on the screen, just upwards.

gonzo
2011-12-11, 22:04
Thank you for your help. I ordered the USB door and I will try to replace it.

slashd0t
2011-12-12, 04:21
I'm ultra careful with the cover. Scares me every time I have to open it..

F2thaK
2011-12-12, 04:42
It would be great if someone could design, manufacture and sell replacement covers that just has a hole for the USB

Thekholm
2011-12-12, 08:55
I did buy two extra USB-covers to my Nokia N9 from Nokia Care in Sweden. They cost me about $10 each or 70kr/pcs. Very easy to change!

It took about 3 days to get them...

Best regards
Thekholm

ENNINE
2011-12-12, 11:54
Can you give us the link?

Thekholm
2011-12-12, 15:37
This is the email address to them, service@mobilbyran.se

Best Regars
Thekholm

Nokia N9 rules...

automagic68
2012-01-25, 07:51
I emailed them and they replied to me in Swedish I think. . . :eek:

augustmeier
2012-01-25, 10:00
I emailed them and they replied to me in Swedish I think. . . :eek:

Well, actually your Nokia Service-Point should be able to sell you such covers...

:-)

mcdull
2012-01-25, 10:11
My cover got curved up slightly after the first day but didn't get any worse so far.

However, I like the design of the door of USB and SIM card compared to all others I've seen before. It would be better if the OEM case doesn't cover the SIM slot so I can switch out the SIM easier.

somedude
2012-01-25, 22:28
It would be great if someone could design, manufacture and sell replacement covers that just has a hole for the USB

what happened to the dude that was making stands for the n900? Maybe he is the one that could do this? Just to match the USB door he can make the sim slot too, and preferably something that is not plastic as we see even the POLYCARBONATE can break so easily.
I never bought the stand for mine but if anyone could make a list of people that would buy the spares and sense him an email he might be able to.help?

qorax
2012-01-25, 23:31
My cover got curved up slightly after the first day but didn't get any worse so far.

However, I like the design of the door of USB and SIM card compared to all others I've seen before. It would be better if the OEM case doesn't cover the SIM slot so I can switch out the SIM easier.

Most do not switch their SIMs [the micro being compatible only with the iPhone4/4S]... thus, I guess, the OEM case having no cut-out for the SIM tray works perfectly with most.

That case, BTW, is fantastic, don't u guys think so? Augments the phone perfectly... by far the best OEM case inside the box of any other!

Qorax

DarkSkies
2012-01-25, 23:48
That case, BTW, is fantastic, don't u guys think so? Augments the phone perfectly... by far the best OEM case inside the box of any other!

Qorax

That's right. Very true!

catbus
2012-01-25, 23:50
I'm ultra careful with the cover. Scares me every time I have to open it..

So how do You open it? There is nothing to be scare... If You do it right, it is very simple and safe.

Maybe some video instructions should be made... Maybe later...

lancewex
2012-01-26, 01:09

Qorax

Agreed. I normally don't use cases. I don't care about minor scratches, and cases feel so cumbersome and hide the phone's nice looks. But not this one. It's simple & elegant.

automagic68
2012-01-26, 01:26
So where in the US of A can I get a replacement cover?

qorax
2012-01-26, 01:39
So where in the US of A can I get a replacement cover?

Nokia-US, not having launched the N9 or the L800, might be of no help... there's another thread here on this issue, and the last poster there might have a better answer 4 u:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80024&highlight=micro+usb+cover&page=3

qorax
2012-01-26, 01:41
...Maybe some video instructions should be made... Maybe later...

A youtube vid on 'opening the trap-doors? -LOL !

geneven
2012-01-26, 02:55
what happened to the dude that was making stands for the n900? Maybe he is the one that could do this? Just to match the USB door he can make the sim slot too, and preferably something that is not plastic as we see even the POLYCARBONATE can break so easily.
I never bought the stand for mine but if anyone could make a list of people that would buy the spares and sense him an email he might be able to.help?

The dude has the memorable name of Fake and there is probably more contact info if you can find the thread.

Dragoss91
2012-02-12, 12:25
I hate that little cr*p , I hope I will not have to open it if I get drunk . When nokia will start producing these covers and sell them separately I will buy maybe 5 pieces .

danested
2012-10-06, 20:09
I have a slightly bigger problem:(

The USB door has broken at a very close point to the phone, so theres barely any room for me to grip it with pliers :(

Is there any way I can remove it without damaging whatever its attached to or my phone itself?

I've ordered a spare few days back that should be coming soon...But the problem.is getting the old one off...

danested
2012-10-06, 20:12
I was thinking of levering it out but i fear damaging the USB port... For now its cosmetic... That would be a disaster!

danested
2012-10-07, 05:02
Guys... Anyone?

thedead1440
2012-10-07, 05:05
just use your fingers to pluck it out...

danested
2012-10-07, 13:46
Tried... Then i tried my teeth too... Dint work :(

It sits quite firmly in its place...

danested
2012-10-07, 14:14
Was able to take it out with the help of some soldering tools...
Pics:
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/967/12100023.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/9548/12100019.jpg

i could see a little hole on either side, i hooked into them with these on either side and pulled it out. There is a barely visible dent on either side though :(