PDA

View Full Version : My internal storage has a virus

ammar.m
2011-11-10, 19:21
I connected my N9 as mass storage in a PC that had some virus in it. Now all folders appear as shortcuts. I dont have any data atm and i was doing this to copy songs. Can someone tell me what to do?

dolphins
2011-11-10, 19:27
I don't understand what you mean by the shortcuts part.
But if you have identified the virus files in the PC, then search for them in your device (in offline mode if you want to be absolutely sure nothing gets sent out) and delete the files.
The alternative is to format the card, but why bother, the virus is likely unable to do anything on the N9

cddiede
2011-11-10, 19:28
OH NOS!!!! ITS TEH VIRUSES!!!!!

Seriously, you need to be more specific:

1: Your PC is an infected piece of junk. Big Deal. No "virus" you may have on your Windows based PC will do anything to your Meego Linux phone.

2: Where do "all folders" appear as shortcuts? In your windows file manager when browsing the N9's contents while connected via USB?

3. Does clicking on these shortcuts get you anywhere? What happens when you try?

4: You said: "I dont have any data atm". Does that mean you have yet to move any media files to the N9 via USB?

TiagoTiago
2011-11-10, 19:55
OH NOS!!!! ITS TEH VIRUSES!!!!!

Seriously, you need to be more specific:

1: Your PC is an infected piece of junk. Big Deal. No "virus" you may have on your Windows based PC will do anything to your Meego Linux phone.

Not true, some might actually mess with the files and folders, and might even corrupt the filesystem trying to write in some non-standard way trying to avoid detection. Of course Windows executables won't run on the phone, but they do run on the Windows machine that has been given read+write permissions to the USB mounted filesystem. And of course, like with a "dumb" stickdrive, if you plug that device on another Windows machine with poor protection that machine will run the payload and infect itself.

pusak gaoq
2011-11-11, 03:34
yes those were virus coming from windows pc...u might well clean your pc first before you clean your device....cleaning your device only wont free you from the virus...as long as the virus still on your pc it will still effects your device later on...

ok first of all find a gud antivirus for your pc...i suggest ESET NOD32 or you can download Trojan Remover (free for 30days) to atleast remove those damn virus from your pc....
antivirus & Trojan Remover also can remove virus from your device but your pc is the virus main port right now so go after it first...

TiagoTiago
2011-11-11, 04:47
Depending on the virus neither AVs already installed nor ones you try to install after the infection would be of much use, they might just crash the AVs but in some more advanced examples they trick the AV (and somtimes even low level OS systems) into not seeing anything of significance or even plain nothing at all in place of the virus. In those cases i believe the recommended procedure is to use a clean machine to burn a live cd with an updated av inside and clean your machine with that; though depending on the techniques the virus is employing to stay hidden, and in some cases intentional booby traps, just plain removal could leave you with an unbootable OS or even corrupt filesystem; manual cleanup and reconstruction of the necessary valid bits are theoreticly possible, though many people dismiss that possibility due to the amount of work and difficulty of execution and just tell people to format it.

ammar.m
2011-11-13, 13:23
Well the PC wasn't mine. I use a MacBook but for some reason I needed Windows. The issue was that the folders in the mass storage drive were automatically set as hidden + system folders. And in their place shortcuts with the same names were appearing which when clicked didn't do anything. I then had to manually set each 'actual' folder as a non-system folder to get them to be visible without having to set windows as 'show all system folders'.

HtheB
2011-11-13, 15:11
You can fix the problem with the a filebrowser.

You can download Filebox or Filemanager from the OVI Store.
and then just delete the shortcuts :)