PDA

View Full Version : Nemo mobile discussions

Pages : [1] 2

mece
2011-11-25, 08:38
This is a thread is for discussing Nemo mobile. Please keep the announcement thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80338) free of discussions.

Some links:
Nemo wiki (http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo#Nemo_Mobile)
bugtracker (https://bugs.merproject.org/)

gregoranderson
2011-11-25, 10:39
For the curious cats amongst you who have yet to dip their toes in the Nemo water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGrvs7TbVBs

This is a run through of 2011-11-17 running on an N900.

w00t
2011-11-25, 11:30
For the curious cats amongst you who have yet to dip their toes in the Nemo water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGrvs7TbVBs

This is a run through of 2011-11-17 running on an N900.

It'd be nice to see the latest release get a runthrough. The VKB appearing in the wrong orientation, for instance, has been fixed (thankfully!)

sperle
2011-11-25, 11:43
2011-11-24 installed on sd. nice work!

pelago
2011-11-25, 15:34
Although I appreciate that you would like to keep announcements separate from discussion, in practice I think this will be very hard. People like to respond and discuss a release in an announcement thread. I think the only way to stop this would be to lock the announcement thread, or only allow posting in it by some members, which I don't know if this forum software will allow.

Fabry
2011-11-25, 15:49
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1128875&postcount=14
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1128878&postcount=15

I link my posts from other thread.
Next responses only in this thread

@Fabry
How do you do it? Is it by chroot? multiboot?, u-boot or bootmenu?

It is by u-boot or by flasher (one-shot boot for testing purpose)

jalyst
2011-11-25, 15:49
Although I appreciate that you would like to keep announcements separate from discussion, in practice I think this will be very hard. People like to respond and discuss a release in an announcement thread. I think the only way to stop this would be to lock the announcement thread, or only allow posting in it by some members, which I don't know if this forum software will allow.

The perennial issue of not nearly enough mods to organise everything.

SD69
2011-11-25, 16:07
Although I appreciate that you would like to keep announcements separate from discussion, in practice I think this will be very hard. People like to respond and discuss a release in an announcement thread. I think the only way to stop this would be to lock the announcement thread, or only allow posting in it by some members, which I don't know if this forum software will allow.This forum has light moderation by design. All open threads can be posted in by all members in good standing.

mece
2011-11-25, 17:28
@Pelago it's not catastrophic if some posts end up in the announce thread. As long as there is discussion here and this thread is mentioned in announcements it'll be fine.

On topic, what size and type of cards are you using for Nemo? I've only got a few class4 cards and meego took quite a while to load on those. I've list my card reader so o have to get to the shops anyway.

shmerl
2011-11-25, 19:00
Thanks for the dedicated thread. Is it possible to open a dedicated forum section here as well? (I understood that the idea of going as far as opening a separate forum didn't get enough interest yet). Instead of maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > MeeGo / Harmattan to make it maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > Nemo Mobile. I don't think it's too hard for administrators to do, and will make things much neater IMO (for example it won't push putting all topics into one thread, and will allow opening many threads dedicated to Nemo specifically without cluttering the Harmattan section).

jalyst
2011-11-25, 20:01
Thanks for the dedicated thread. Is it possible to open a dedicated forum section here as well? (I understood that the idea of going as far as opening a separate forum didn't get enough interest yet). Instead of maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > MeeGo / Harmattan to make it maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > Nemo Mobile. I don't think it's too hard for administrators to do, and will make things much neater IMO (for example it won't push putting all topics into one thread, and will allow opening many threads dedicated to Nemo specifically without cluttering the Harmattan section).

I suggested that the announce thread too...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1128577#post1128577
Perhaps the mods will do when they next have time.

w00t
2011-11-27, 18:07
On topic, what size and type of cards are you using for Nemo? I've only got a few class4 cards and meego took quite a while to load on those. I've list my card reader so o have to get to the shops anyway.

I used an 8gb class 10, back when my n900 was operational.

shmerl
2011-11-27, 18:48
Nemo progress on HP touchpad:
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/nemo-running-hp-touchpad/

Should there be a separate layout / theme for tablets in contrast with handset one?

w00t
2011-11-29, 10:00
Should there be a separate layout / theme for tablets in contrast with handset one?

Some of my work on lipstick may help enable things like that, but I'm not prioritising it right now, in favor of getting core functionality working (and working sexy), when I have time.

gregoranderson
2011-11-29, 10:15

I would urge everyone who enjoys getting their hands dirty on their N900 to treat themselves a Touchpad while they can. Amazing piece of hardware for the price.

WebOS itself is rather nice, and there's good solid community (Preware) in a similar style to Maemo (albeit maverick, as it's not as closely related to Palm, now HP), but the speed at which Cyanogen have been able to get Android 2.3 running on it (and it runs very well - they are humble in their description of "Alpha status"), plus the ability to chroot (Ubuntu runs nicely on it) makes it a great "toy".

You do not have to soil yourself with an ipad, or expensive Android brick to get into the tablet game. And the amount of wheeeeeeeeeee fun you can have VNCing to you N900 and having Maemo run on a 9.7" makes you a) flutter a little inside and b) feel sad that Nokia never pushed out a large screen tablet running Fremantle.

But I digress. All I'd like to say is Nemo on Touchpad is superb news.

don_falcone
2011-11-29, 10:30

Please please please... i'm so interested in having the full gstreamer etc. plugin set (especially container formats), full libpurple protocol sets, and so on instead of the crippled webOS functionality.

It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained, while no one fixes the support for something in the OS / frameworks itself. That is, f.e. Kalemsoft Media player plays more formats than webOS' gstreamer integration provides, but of course only when you install their own streaming solution on the server which, of course, is available for Windows only. No one seems interested in fixing gstreamer-0.10 and i don't understand much of the code for where to hook into.

WebOS itself is rather nice, and there's good solid community (Preware) in a similar style to Maemo (albeit maverick, as it's not as closely related to Palm, now HP), but the speed at which Cyanogen have been able to get Android 2.3 running on it (and it runs very well - they are humble in their description of "Alpha status"), plus the ability to chroot (Ubuntu runs nicely on it) makes it a great "toy".

<insert barf here>

No no no hell no. Maybe it was for the Pre etc., but IMHO not for the TouchPad! This community here (Maemo/Mer et al) is _much_ more competent than the one for webOS, not only for the technical background you have but especially because you guys seem to be much capable and WILLING to work with the community instead of trying to commercialize your half-baked self-contained "apps" in the stores, without caring for the OS and supporting open standards/interfaces/frameworks. ;)

Most of the patches you'll get from PreWare are relatively simple Javacsript things, and no one seems to be interested to port the Pre stuff. Running Mojo programs in the "emulator" window is just.. meh. Changing uiRevision from '1' to '2' is not all; scenes need to have an "Back" button to etc. and even then the UI is just ugly scaled.

The OS itself doesn't even provide scrollbar / page indictor support, as far as i read...

Anyway, enough OT.

Technical Question: how is the installation procedure for Nemo on the TouchPad? (Just out of curiosity) I don't know about what kind of bootloader HP used etc.

gregoranderson
2011-11-29, 11:00
It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained

I'll admit, that is a real pain. There's no long term future for webOS, but I still think in hardware terms, it's got a lot going for it. We just need to release the shackles.

BTW - to solve the streaming issue, with the latest update (3.04 I think), HP improved the codec support. While you still have the mp4 container issue, support for video codecs is greatly improved, so much so that all you need to do is demux your mkv, or divx content, and remux into an mp4 container and it will play very nicely, streaming over HTTP.

So, in effect, I have apache running on my local server (which is also running serviio for the rest of my DLNA empire), serving the mp4 versions of my files.

Pretty simple to do (pre-req is to have ffmpeg installed):

ffmpeg -i someMoviewOrOther.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy someMovieOrOther.mp4

Vigorous use of find will allow you to convert a whole raft of content if required.

Then browse to the content using the touchpad's browser, click on the mofo and whooooooof, served content in glorious 9.7". 720p content plays back nicely assuming you've got a decent wireless router.

Even nicer is the fact that the codec support means that it will play BBC Iplayer content (using get_iplayer) streamed across HTTP as well in the same manner, without any ffmpeg gymnastics.

I stick with webOS for media purposes and while I am still a bit iffy about Amazon Kindle (I'm an fbreader man), after using fontforge to masquerade the Ubuntu font as Verdana, I'm a lot happy with it.

don_falcone
2011-11-29, 11:23
...using Serviio too, and the N900 happily plays along with it. I like it for it's clean minimal UI, and for supporting multiple platforms.

I'm working around the issue currently using CIFS with the Drive Mapper (http://forums.precentral.net/nelsun-apps/303257-network-drives-enyo-network-drive-mapper.html), as i have no dedicated home server for now (it's planned), but only my Win 7 x64 workstation. So no ffmpeg solution for now (time etc. restriction).

The Serviio guys stated that MP4 container is not stream-friendly, especially opening it while still writing to a partial container. i'm not that much into such details, this would need more effort to delve into on my side.

AFAIK they implemented support for WMA and OGG/FLAC only in 3.0.4? There was no record of improved video codec support. Do you have a reference? There's a 3.0.5 in the wild too...

Anyway, i apologize for capturing the thread.

gregoranderson
2011-11-29, 11:37
The Serviio guys stated that MP4 container is not stream-friendly, especially opening it while still writing to a partial container. i'm not that much into such details, this would need more effort to delve into on my side.

AFAIK they implemented support for WMA and OGG/FLAC only in 3.0.4? There was no record of improved video codec support. Do you have a reference? There's a 3.0.5 in the wild too...

Anyway, i apologize for capturing the thread.

Aye - agreed about the thread hijack. I shall have a look for a TP thread elsewhere on the forum. In the meantime, I beleive there were improvements (rather than additions) to mp4 support in terms of B-frames (can't remember the specifics). I'll dig out the thread related to this, but I remember reading it and thinking "Oooh - they'll work now". And they did.

F2thaK
2011-12-03, 13:41
can we use the N950 nemo image on N9?

m4r0v3r
2011-12-03, 13:56
F2thaK ive been told yes

shmerl
2011-12-04, 15:25
The last report on the wiki suggests it's not yet ready. Better ask on the Nemo IRC.

Alfred
2011-12-15, 21:01
Does any1 know what's new in the today's release

robin92
2011-12-15, 21:32
http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Status
I think it is the last changelog :p

w00t
2011-12-22, 14:58
New release is out! http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-handset/2011-December/000873.html

Who's going to be first to try it?

shmerl
2011-12-22, 17:55
Is it usable enough? I don't have a spare device to experiment, but I'm willing to install it on my primary day-to-day used N950 if it's in usable shape (I need at least phone calling / text / e-mail to work in order to use it on the regular basis).

Manatus
2011-12-22, 21:59
Is it usable enough? I don't have a spare device to experiment, but I'm willing to install it on my primary day-to-day used N950 if it's in usable shape (I need at least phone calling / text / e-mail to work in order to use it on the regular basis).

It is so and so. I tested phone calls and sms, and they seemed to work, while lacking polish on UI side. I don't know any email clients, and didn't notice that there would be one pre-installed. Package manager (gui one) froze, so zypper should be used.

Tested with N900. Class10 memory card (random r/w might be better with quality Class6 one). It was very sluggish in many occasions.
I'm curious on how well this could run with a device with more memory. I do not dare to try putting Mer/Nemo on my N9 yet, since I probably couldn't fix it if I blew it.

Overall it looks nice already, although I actually liked naivistic "meego" graphics better than the new shinier icons. It is still ok with current style though. Graphics were very smooth when not chugging with lack of memory or because of bugs.

I wish 3g data would work, but alas it doesn't even while there are settings preconfigured for Finnish telcos. WIFI works only in my home, not at work, so I can't use this as primary OS on N900 yet.

There was couple of irritating bugs in task switcher; one was that thumbnails didn't center on screen properly and worse one was I often had to be very precise in hitting it in the right spot to activate the application.

Edit: Virtual keyboard was pain in previous builds, as it always jumped in front of terminal screen, and there were also focus errors in terminal. Now this is fixed and terminal can be used as it should. Also virtual keyboard has started to resemble Harmattan one (as it should too :) )

w00t
2011-12-22, 22:50
It is so and so. I tested phone calls and sms, and they seemed to work, while lacking polish on UI side. I don't know any email clients, and didn't notice that there would be one pre-installed. Package manager (gui one) froze, so zypper should be used.

No, there isn't a mail client at this point. Contributions more than welcome, I'd be happy to point someone in the right direction to work on one. BTW: if you have bugs (like the package manager freeze), please, please! report them :)

Edit: Virtual keyboard was pain in previous builds, as it always jumped in front of terminal screen, and there were also focus errors in terminal. Now this is fixed and terminal can be used as it should. Also virtual keyboard has started to resemble Harmattan one (as it should too :) )

VKB has indeed gotten a lot of work recently. Nice to hear it's been noticed!

Manatus
2011-12-23, 14:09
No, there isn't a mail client at this point. Contributions more than welcome, I'd be happy to point someone in the right direction to work on one. BTW: if you have bugs (like the package manager freeze), please, please! report them :)

Hmm, funny thing. Now after rebooting Mer+Nemo three times, everything seems to be working a lot better than with two previous times.
The package manager is working now. Previously frozen top bar is ok now too. It seems that Nemo really needs some time to settle and may need even couple of reboots to get going. Before I constantly got qtm_reco_app-notifications that wen't away all by themselves for pretty much anything, now only one this far.

I'm still having problems with task switcher accepting selection only from very random points on screen. I'll see if there is any bugs open for that.

Swipe to get to the task switcher is very good btw! It'd be very nice if this was in Maemo5 too. :)

Edit: I created a bug about too sensitive swipe functionality in task switcher. Using very pointed pushes with the finger or just using stylus works much better than using your thumb to select open applications. Hopefully Mer Interface Vendor was the right place for this in bugtracker.

Alfred
2011-12-25, 15:44
Hello, everybody and Merry Christmas!
I have a few questions, what is the default password for root in terminal
and the second one is why can't i update packages in "Packages" app?

Transaction Error
Failed to obtain authentication

EDIT
the password if not changed is meego

Zingel1986
2011-12-29, 18:16
Hi Alfred,

That is my problem too. I am not able to update packages but I did not found anything to this problem.

I am new to the mer project but it looks very nice

ayazpak
2011-12-30, 01:44
TOday installed latest image bit better than previos also updated. keyboard ok, faster response but camera not working. May be a bug. Package manager still frozen for any package installation only terminal can be used for the purpose. Applications status is same as previous. Hope in first week of 2012 it will improve

w00t
2011-12-30, 10:50
Please, make sure you're reporting issues you find to bugs.nemomobile.org. Or even better, work on helping to fix them.

ayazpak
2012-01-05, 18:20
New image arrived, I will check it today http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20111208.2.NEMO.2012-01-05.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-testing/

primusx86
2012-01-05, 20:56
I would like to install nemo on my N900. Since I don`t have a SD card can I install it native (on the internal storage)?

ayazpak
2012-01-05, 22:46
I would like to install nemo on my N900. Since I don`t have a SD card can I install it native (on the internal storage)?

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/EMMC

B-RUNO
2012-01-05, 23:35
guys i manage to install latest image posted today, just one dummy question how to shut down? great job!!!

Zoxir
2012-01-05, 23:44
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/EMMC
That failed for me because flasher wouldn't recognize the nemo image

Manatus
2012-01-06, 00:00
guys i manage to install latest image posted today, just one dummy question how to shut down? great job!!!

I haven't found any other way than doing it from the xterm.

xterm ->
'su -' ->
'meego' as the password ->
'reboot' or 'shutdown now'

I too checked the latest image. Again required two reboots until things settled, including battery image which turned normal eventually (was light blue rectangle before that). Had couple of errors after first boot such as lock screen getting stuck and not reacting to input at all.

Looks like virtual keyboard is gone or not started automatically, which is bad since it contains some characters you can't get from the hw-keyboard currently and thus keeps me out of my WLAN.

General feeling is that it is again smoother. Possibly less problems with task switcher too.

B-RUNO
2012-01-06, 00:18
cI haven't found any other way than doing it from the xterm.

xterm ->
'su -' ->
'meego' as the password ->
'reboot' or 'shutdown now'

I too checked the latest image. Again required two reboots until things settled, including battery image which turned normal eventually (was light blue rectangle before that). Had couple of errors after first boot such as lock screen getting stuck and not reacting to input at all.

Looks like virtual keyboard is gone or not started automatically, which is bad since it contains some characters you can't get from the hw-keyboard currently and thus keeps me out of my WLAN.

General feeling is that it is again smoother. Possibly less problems with task switcher too.
Regarding the virtual keyboard i can confirm is missing, my WLAN running fine, packages not working properly keep geting error about autentification wlan, a small bug on the browser when making zoom invokes volume, so far very good.

ivgalvez
2012-01-11, 09:52
Have anyone seen this (http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/intels-dream-of-x86-cpus-inside-smartphones-closer-to-reality.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)announcement from Intel?

With complete open source drivers for Intel SoC it should be easier to port Nemo Mobile to this kind of phones. I don't really need Nemo on my N900 but in any other device for the time my beloved device dies.

shmerl
2012-01-11, 16:26
Sounds good (if drivers and specs will really be open). The more devices - the merrier.

Estel
2012-01-11, 17:03
Intel claimed that its single core, two-thread 1.6 GHz "Medfield" Atom processors offered better performance and lower power consumption than unspecified ARM processors in unspecified popular Android phones.

:rolleyes: how cute. I think they need to learn *much* about meritocratic approach, even when it comes to announcing they own projects. BTW, my Sharp calculator got better performance than unspecified Intel CPU bundled in unspecified motherboard, released on unspecified year of unspecified millennium.

/Estel

m4r0v3r
2012-01-12, 12:47
:rolleyes: how cute. I think they need to learn *much* about meritocratic approach, even when it comes to announcing they own projects. BTW, my Sharp calculator got better performance than unspecified Intel CPU bundled in unspecified motherboard, released on unspecified year of unspecified millennium.

/Estel

would be great if it was true, i'd buy it over an N9 any day, as long as drivers and bootloader were open.

m4r0v3r
2012-01-12, 12:54
after some digging up

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/intels-medfield-atom-z2460-arrive-for-smartphones

i guess the power consumption isnt too bad especially compared to the nexus and GS II but it kind of shows, that for the high stress processor tasks it uses a lot of power, like 720p playback or anything really thats going to put the processor at 100% maybe cause the gpu isn't involved?

jalyst
2012-01-12, 13:06
after some digging up
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5365/intels-medfield-atom-z2460-arrive-for-smartphones

Yeah linked to that here...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1149034#post1149034
For the love of God Nokia why!? .... Why!?! :(

i guess the power consumption isnt too bad especially compared to the nexus and GS II but it kind of shows, that for the high stress processor tasks it uses a lot of power, like 720p playback or anything really thats going to put the processor at 100% maybe cause the gpu isn't involved?

That's at least partly explained in the article IIRC

m4r0v3r
2012-01-12, 13:44
if they stuck with mother****ing Meego life would of been some much better, I mean imagine that processor running Meego in that slim sexy body, with 720p main profile running perfectly and am pretty damn sure that processor is fast enough for anything they need. then you'd have us just randomly installing any linux flavour easily and any linux apps if intel keep things open.

but i guess thats in a perfect world

ayazpak
2012-01-12, 22:16
Another latest image arrived http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120105.1.NEMO.2012-01-12.2/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-testing/

ayazpak
2012-01-19, 19:30
Today Nemo relased new testing image with some bug fixes http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120105.1.NEMO.2012-01-19.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-testing/

Flynx
2012-01-19, 20:09
Today Nemo relased new testing image with some bug fixes http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120105.1.NEMO.2012-01-19.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-testing/

tried flashing to internal memory using the same method as meego, but it didn't boot. should i do something differently for nemo? the installation instructions were only for sdcard.

ayazpak
2012-01-19, 20:57
tried flashing to internal memory using the same method as meego, but it didn't boot. should i do something differently for nemo? the installation instructions were only for sdcard.

The best way to install it on SD card with Uboot

shmerl
2012-01-19, 23:02
Alas, no SD cards for N9(50).

ioncelmare
2012-01-19, 23:07
it become usable for n900?

Alfred
2012-01-19, 23:22
it become usable for n900?

if you mean calling and sending sms then yes

ayazpak
2012-01-27, 07:29
New Mer based "Nemo Image" available for N900/N9 and N950, on N900 I am checking, boot time is very fast, Now we can install applications/packages from Package Manager. Some important bugs fixed http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-01-26.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

AlMehdi
2012-01-27, 08:13
New Mer based "Nemo Image" available for N900/N9 and N950, on N900 I am checking, boot time is very fast, Now we can install applications/packages from Package Manager. Some important bugs fixed http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-01-26.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

How do i go about to install this? Like this http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Install/EMMC ?

edit: yep, it worked ;)

ivgalvez
2012-01-27, 09:53
Where can we see the list of available applications without installing Nemo?

gregoranderson
2012-01-27, 10:10

The Nemo gang continue to rock. Awesome work guys.

B-RUNO
2012-01-29, 15:03
Latest build pretty stable running smooth Virtual Keyboard is back, Package Installer Working!

Now just a noob question how can I install a FileManager on Nemo?!

Thanks

buchanmilne
2012-01-30, 13:50
With two different Micro SD cards, I get the following error when booting nemo:

twl4030_wdt twl_4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device
Power Management for TI OMAP3.
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising the SD card
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,1)

And when I boot back into Maemo, the time has been reset :-(.

I have in the past booted Meego images with the same cards on the same device, with no problems.

I validated the md5 sum.

On inserting the SD card into a machine running linux, the filesystems on the card automount without problems, and the contents looks valid.

B-RUNO
2012-01-30, 14:38
With two different Micro SD cards, I get the following error when booting nemo:

twl4030_wdt twl_4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device
Power Management for TI OMAP3.
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising the SD card
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,1)

And when I boot back into Maemo, the time has been reset :-(.

I have in the past booted Meego images with the same cards on the same device, with no problems.

I validated the md5 sum.

On inserting the SD card into a machine running linux, the filesystems on the card automount without problems, and the contents looks valid.

I was having the same problem the cause was my MicroSd adapter is not working properly, what i did was put my micro sd on my n900 connected via usb on Mass Storage mode then write the image on the memory card.
I did all via windows 7 and was pretty strait forward:)

ayazpak
2012-02-02, 19:52
New weekly nemo mobile release is available for N900, N950 & x86 with some bug fixes, mobile browser heliumreborn http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-02.1/images/

Netweaver
2012-02-02, 21:32
I was having the same problem the cause was my MicroSd adapter is not working properly, what i did was put my micro sd on my n900 connected via usb on Mass Storage mode then write the image on the memory card.
I did all via windows 7 and was pretty strait forward:)

Lots of people are having the same issue now when using the latest Pali u-boot mechanism. I just tried your 'alternative' image transfer method (with todays image) and unfortunately it gives me exactly the same result : thousands of mmcblk1 -110 errors.

So I don't think this is a solution for everyone. Would be strange anyway to have so many people with bad SD card readers. :D

Feel free to look also in the latest u-boot thread, as of page 10 we're trying to find out who/what is impacted and what might be the solution. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613&page=10
(http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613&page=10)
Latest thinking is some missing/not-reverted patches in the Nemo N900 Adaptation kernel. I've raised a bug for this on the Nemo Bugzilla. To be continued.

D@vIcHoJD
2012-02-02, 23:42
One question I have on my microsd easy debian image, there is no inconvenience in having the 2 images to run the os, it is posible?:confused: And works with kp49 and cssu??:confused:

Some thread how to install and run the operating system from the microsd, or do it from the mmc (32GB) without any problems for maemo 5.:D

ironm8
2012-02-03, 20:59
Can someone upload a vid to youtube with the latest release?
I am very curious about it's current state

D@vIcHoJD
2012-02-03, 22:32
One question I have on my microsd easy debian image, there is no inconvenience in having the 2 images to run the os, it is posible?:confused: And works with kp49 and cssu??:confused:

Some thread how to install and run the operating system from the microsd, or do it from the mmc (32GB) without any problems for maemo 5.:D

Someone can confirm this please:cool:

TransTech
2012-02-04, 09:28
Can anyone tell me is there a file-manager in the latest build... or how can I download one? or is it available?

p.s. Filebox for n9 doesnt work.

TransTech
2012-02-04, 09:30
Can someone upload a vid to youtube with the latest release?
I am very curious about it's current state

me 2

10chars

nisheet
2012-02-06, 03:25
i tried to install NEMO on my mmc with following all instructions on NEMO wiki and the data gets copied easyly on my UBUNTU11.10 but after that every time my mmc gets currupted error and i m not able to use NEMO plzzzz some one give me a good solution to this problem...

thanxxxxxxxx in advance...

Netweaver
2012-02-06, 09:01
can u give details on the exact error messages and the brand/size/class of the card ?
There is investigation going on in the root cause.
But most (if not all) of these issues are with the Pali version of uboot. Not with the 'official' uboot+pr13 version from the repos and not with some older, much more limited versions.
It's a Nemo kernel issue combined with (probably) slightly higher access/init timings in some newer class 6 and class 10 cards.

Also you say the card is corrupted after trying to boot with it again. What is 'corrupt' to you ?

TransTech
2012-02-06, 09:23
i tried to install NEMO on my mmc with following all instructions on NEMO wiki and the data gets copied easyly on my UBUNTU11.10 but after that every time my mmc gets currupted error and i m not able to use NEMO plzzzz some one give me a good solution to this problem...

thanxxxxxxxx in advance...

I got the same error for the first time i tried to installed, so I formatted the card with SDFormatter and tried once again, it succeeded... :) (p.s. On Win7 with uboot+pr13 version in devel repos )

buchanmilne
2012-02-07, 09:37
can u give details on the exact error messages and the brand/size/class of the card ?
There is investigation going on in the root cause.
But most (if not all) of these issues are with the Pali version of uboot. Not with the 'official' uboot+pr13 version from the repos and not with some older, much more limited versions.
It's a Nemo kernel issue combined with (probably) slightly higher access/init timings in some newer class 6 and class 10 cards.

Also you say the card is corrupted after trying to boot with it again. What is 'corrupt' to you ?

My post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1157870&postcount=60) is about a 'Official u-boot' (the one from Meego 1.1 days) on CSSU-testing, on 3 different cards, one 4GB class 4 (which has run about 3 or 4 different Meego images without problem) and 2 brand-new cards, 1 16 GB class 4 and 1 8GB Class 10.

I am not running any funny stuff (I had KP *long* *long* ago for mobile-hotspot, but removed it with PR1.3 / u-boot, Meego 1.1 as I don't need hotspot feature now), so currently no KP, no new u-boot, no battery or speed patch of any kind. The only potentially funny stuff is CSSU-testing, but that still means stock kernel etc.

I will try and test with an older Meego image on all of these cards today.

mankir
2012-02-08, 15:02
Qole ported his Easy Debian to Harmattan, as described in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82114
It's called HarmChom and should allow to run apps from other distros in a chroot environment. I was able to open firefox10 from oneiric on the n900, it's a bit unstable but it should be generally possible to use up2date debapps on top of nemo on the n900!
Update: Audacity1.3.13-beta is recording and playing out of the box

blackjack4it
2012-02-08, 15:10
Can some dev try again in asking Nokia the GPS driver source code? Now they are with Microsoft, I hope that they won't care anymore about their "closed source components" and they'll be more kind with us

EDIT: With "source code" I mean the missing part that allow us to communicate with the GPS chip through the modem..If I am not wrong Nemo lack of GPS too because of this..they could unlock two projects (Nemo and Nitdroid) with a piece of code
Last edited by blackjack4it; 01-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Stskeeps
2012-02-08, 15:25
Can some dev try again in asking Nokia the GPS driver source code? Now they are with Microsoft, I hope that they won't care anymore about their "closed source components" and they'll be more kind with us

EDIT: With "source code" I mean the missing part that allow us to communicate with the GPS chip through the modem..If I am not wrong Nemo lack of GPS too because of this..they could unlock two projects (Nemo and Nitdroid) with a piece of code
Last edited by blackjack4it; 01-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.

We have a plugin that qt mobility builds against, which has the N900 location stack. It's working but not rewired in after Mer rebase of the UI/hardware adaptation. Closed source, but redistributable

blackjack4it
2012-02-08, 15:39
We have a plugin that qt mobility builds against, which has the N900 location stack. It's working but not rewired in after Mer rebase of the UI/hardware adaptation. Closed source, but redistributable

Is possible to port that feature in Nitdroid too?

Stskeeps
2012-02-08, 15:40
Is possible to port that feature in Nitdroid too?

Not really. It's a pretty full framework with dbus needed, closed binaries, etc.

blackjack4it
2012-02-08, 15:47
Ok, thanks for answering :( last favour, could you please give me the link of the source code of that plugin? thank you

Stskeeps
2012-02-08, 16:42
Ok, thanks for answering :( last favour, could you please give me the link of the source code of that plugin? thank you

"Closed source" usually implies there's no source.

Dhicky
2012-02-09, 07:31
can maemo, tripleboot with nitdroid and mer.. ??

blackjack4it
2012-02-09, 08:40
"Closed source" usually implies there's no source.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that with "We have a plugin" you intended that Mer Group wrote a plugin around a closed Nokia Binaries..so no Source :( very bad :(

Hurrian
2012-02-09, 10:00
can maemo, tripleboot with nitdroid and mer.. ??
We're waiting for the u-boot port of NITDroid's init system.

Estel
2012-02-09, 15:13
Qole ported his Easy Debian to Harmattan, as described in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82114
It's called HarmChom and should allow to run apps from other distros in a chroot environment. I was able to open firefox10 from oneiric on the n900, it's a bit unstable but it should be generally possible to use up2date debapps on top of nemo on the n900!
Update: Audacity1.3.13-beta is recording and playing out of the box

Using up-to-date debian packages in N900 is possible and hassle-free for quite long time - thanks to sulu's work, Easy Debian can be (safely and working) updated to 100% Squeeze distribution. I also did full upgrade to packages from squeeze-backports, and everything works flawlessly.

Sorry, as it's a little off-topic here - yet, I though it need clarification.

/Estel

ayazpak
2012-02-10, 15:14
New weekly Nemo Mobile release is available for N900/N950/x86 Bugs fixed:
- NEMO#27: Photos does not show thumbnail grid of pictures
- NEMO#76: tumbler crashes when going to wallpaper applet
- NEMO#88: Apps client does not show any content
http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-09.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

TransTech
2012-02-11, 08:03
New weekly Nemo Mobile release is available for N900/N950/x86 Bugs fixed:
- NEMO#27: Photos does not show thumbnail grid of pictures
- NEMO#76: tumbler crashes when going to wallpaper applet
- NEMO#88: Apps client does not show any content
http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-09.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

can you post a video? thanks.. ;)

pycage
2012-02-11, 10:35
can you post a video? thanks.. ;)

Why not try it for yourself?
All you need is install uboot from extras-devel on Maemo, and sacrifice a reasonably fast micro SD card. Nemo dual-boots with Maemo.

hermes040
2012-02-11, 14:07
I have installed Nemo for sometime now, but only have standard package of applications, which is missing even a file manager.
Can someone lead me how to install N9/N950 apllications or add Ovi?

fw190
2012-02-11, 14:13
All you need is install uboot from extras-devel on Maemo, and sacrifice a reasonably fast micro SD card. Nemo dual-boots with Maemo.

until we have new u-boot for kernel power you have to compile it by yourself or reinstall stock kernel and say goodbye to benefits of kp. For me selc compiled u-boot with latest kp wasnt working perfectly so the decission isn't this easy. well for me it isn't :)

TransTech
2012-02-11, 14:18
I have installed Nemo for sometime now, but only have standard package of applications, which is missing even a file manager.

same problem with me...

all I need is a music player and a file manager, then I can make this my primary OS on n900, (maemo for more features thought ;))

It would be good if anyone can write a wiki or post here how to install my required apps. :)

TransTech
2012-02-11, 14:20

I can do that... but I dont have much time nowadays.. :( (btw I had installed 5-1-12 version but virtual keyboard was missing :(, so I had to switch back to maemo5)

hermes040
2012-02-12, 09:43

Hold the power key pressed for approx. 5-10 seconds, nemo shuts down.

hermes040
2012-02-13, 15:34
same problem with me...

all I need is a music player and a file manager, then I can make this my primary OS on n900, (maemo for more features thought ;))

It would be good if anyone can write a wiki or post here how to install my required apps. :)

@TransTech,

Have you imported contacts into Nemo? if yes how?
I also want to use Nemo as primary OS longer time, but couldn't manage to import my phone contacts, which are approx 1200, thus virtually impossible to record one by one.

kingpin
2012-02-14, 15:52
Sorry if i'm askng too much of a noob question but can anyone please direct me as to how can i test nemo on my N9 ?

hermes040
2012-02-14, 18:15
@kingpin,

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you have it already :)
Nemo is N900 version of your original OS.

sada11
2012-02-14, 18:18
@kingpin,

its call MAEMO :p

edit: meego :)

Alfred
2012-02-14, 18:20
@kingpin,

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

@SADA it's maemo 6

sada11
2012-02-14, 22:02
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/131/351/eb6.jpg?1307463786

@SADA it's maemo 6

yeah Thanks:eek: or maemo 6 It's called ;)

Stskeeps
2012-02-15, 05:43
Nemo's based off real MeeGo.com, the modern stack, not the phony Maemo6-based Harmattan :P

thanhtung285
2012-02-15, 16:05
Really want to install but i have memory card only 2gb
So sad. :(
anyway to install on eMMC ??? i'm using win7

mrsellout
2012-02-15, 16:20
Sorry if i'm askng too much of a noob question but can anyone please direct me as to how can i test nemo on my N9 ?

Here's one method:
http://jon.severinsson.net/NemoN9/Nemo-Mobile-N9-instructions.txt

It requires you to repartition your emmc, and the links included are to images that are 4 months old, so a bit more work is required to get the latest images running.

TransTech
2012-02-16, 10:25
@TransTech,

Have you imported contacts into Nemo? if yes how?
I also want to use Nemo as primary OS longer time, but couldn't manage to import my phone contacts, which are approx 1200, thus virtually impossible to record one by one.

Sorry mate I didnt try that..

shmerl
2012-02-16, 15:31
Is it possible to run Nemo in some VM to test it out before actually installing it on the device, and are there any instructions how to do it?

w00t
2012-02-16, 15:36

File manager will be coming in the next release. I think there's also an apps.formeego.com client coming soon.

gregoranderson
2012-02-16, 15:38
Is it possible to run Nemo in some VM to test it out before actually installing it on the device, and are there any instructions how to do it?

Latest i586 image here:

http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-09.1/images/nemo-handset-i586/

VirtualBox settings here:

http://fureidofort.blogspot.com/2011/12/meego-and-nemo-on-virtualbox-settings.html

Imagine a world without google ...

don_falcone
2012-02-16, 15:41
Imagine a world without google ...
And before, there was altavista.digital.com, and the internet prospered too. :D

w00t
2012-02-16, 15:42

Not really in any sort of form where effort has been made on getting it working. It will be coming, sometime in the future, though.

gregoranderson
2012-02-16, 15:45
And before, there was altavista.digital.com, and the internet prospered too. :D

I'm from the school of Gopher on JANET :)

shmerl
2012-02-16, 15:55
gregoranderson: I was interested in the answer from those who work on the project :) And it would be better to run the ARM version in Qemu for example or something of that sort. But if VirtualBox with x86 image works - I'll give it a try.

jflatt
2012-02-16, 16:54
Is it possible to run Nemo in some VM to test it out before actually installing it on the device, and are there any instructions how to do it?In the old MeeGo proper, the missing video acceleration made it unbearably slow

Stskeeps
2012-02-16, 17:18
gregoranderson: I was interested in the answer from those who work on the project :) And it would be better to run the ARM version in Qemu for example or something of that sort. But if VirtualBox with x86 image works - I'll give it a try.

ARM version is always unbearably slow. Why bother with ARM when X86 version works in a virtual machine?

http://releases.merproject.org/~carsten/nemo-handset-i586-0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-09.1.iso

BEWARE though:

* This is a work in progress and a technology preview
* You'll get best FPS on a VT-enabled machine and you'll need an SSSE3-enabled processor in order to boot this. The more processors allocated (SMP) the better FPS
* Ignore the Tizen part of "Boot Tizen", it's a fluke from the image creator, which we share with the tizen project
* There is a bug with the compositor, so some applications will result in a black screen. To get out of this, gesture from bottom to top to get to task switcher

w00t
2012-02-16, 18:01
In the old MeeGo proper, the missing video acceleration made it unbearably slow

llvmpipe (faster software GL in mesa) is helping with this. It's early days, though, so the code certainly isn't battle tested.

w00t
2012-02-16, 20:47
File manager will be coming in the next release.

I spent some time filing features for the new file manager: https://bugs.nemomobile.org/buglist.cgi?product=Applications&component=File%20Manager&resolution=---

jflatt
2012-02-16, 21:10
Would Search be included in a file manager, or a higher OS services level?

w00t
2012-02-16, 21:13
Would Search be included in a file manager, or a higher OS services level?

Search for what?

shmerl
2012-02-16, 23:34
I was able to run it in the VirtualBox. Some transitions take long, but other ones work pretty smoothly. How can one get in the terminal there for example (or how to install one using the default image)?

Stskeeps
2012-02-17, 06:37
I was able to run it in the VirtualBox. Some transitions take long, but other ones work pretty smoothly. How can one get in the terminal there for example (or how to install one using the default image)?

Host-F2

(this needs more than 10 characters)

shmerl
2012-02-17, 07:36
Switching consoles worked, but how can one log in there (i.e. what is the default user/password)?

UPDATE: Didn't realize first the home screen was scrollable, just found the Meego Terminal on the second page but it opens just as a black screen with a cursor.

nemo nemo worked btw ;)

ayazpak
2012-02-17, 10:37
New Weekly Nemo Mobile image available at http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-16.1/images/ with some bug fixes and two new applications File Manager and QML Gallery

TransTech
2012-02-17, 11:24
Can anybody tell me if a Music Player for Nemo available...

then it would be fully usable (day to day) OS for N900.. :)

vi_
2012-02-17, 11:53
I'm from the school of Gopher on JANET :)

LOOL. Did you figure out how to hax 'LANschool'? I did, you could get 'teacher' privilege's and muck around typing bad stuff like 'a55' and 'poo' on the other students screens.

Aaaah, to be back on my high school LAN. If I knew then what I know know I would have pwn'd the shít out of everything.

...Actually if I knew then what I know now I would be rich as fúck.

gregoranderson
2012-02-17, 12:00
LOOL. Did you figure out how to hax 'LANschool'? I did, you could get 'teacher' privilege's and muck around typing bad stuff like 'a55' and 'poo' on the other students screens.

When I say school, I mean University, and the worst I ever did was playing back .au files on workstations across the campus. Beautiful, shiny Sun and DEC workstations and Good god, they were delicious.

Also, the rest of the time was taken up trying to find enough working floppies to copy a entire Linux distro (something like 52 at the last count before CD-ROMs became cheap enough to buy without taking out a mortgage).

And while I am here ; my apologies to shmerl for the flippant remark about Google - it wasn't my intention to sound offensive but I appreciate such a comment makes me sound like a bit of an arsehole (which I may be, you never know).

shmerl
2012-02-17, 17:46

Missing e-mail client is really the main part for me at least to consider it ready to switch to for day-to-day usage.

woody14619
2012-02-17, 18:54
Also, the rest of the time was taken up trying to find enough working floppies to copy a entire Linux distro (something like 52 at the last count before CD-ROMs became cheap enough to buy without taking out a mortgage).

Ah, the good old days... :)

And what a noob you must have been back then! Any aficionado would have told you you really only needed 9 floppies to install linux: 1-Boot, 1-Root, 5-Base, 2-Network. And if you had a standard MFM controller, you could do Boot/Root on one floppy, so you only needed 8! Once you had network you could plug-in or dialup and download the rest and use pkgtool. :) You only needed the others if you wanted to install X and friends from floppy, which would have taken forever since floppy reads were only like 4 or 5 times faster than dialup anyway. ;)

Now I want to install pre-Slack on my N900. :confused:

So, Nemo is at least looking like it's starting to come around as a viable system. Is calling/texting stable yet? That's the one thing it has over all the alternative distros IMHO, since not one of them can actually use the GSM bits enough to make a normal call.

How fast of a flash card does one need to get it running reasonably? I have a class 6 (8G), but last I tried it took forever (>5 minutes) to even get to a desktop, and made my old 386-40 look like Speedy Gonzales.

D@vIcHoJD
2012-02-17, 20:06

Is posible, run the image with easy debian? any confirm it please:D

w00t
2012-02-17, 20:31
Just in case anyone is curious what Nemo's new file manager looks like... (NB, this is v0.0.4, the next release - v0.0.3 made it into this week's release)

http://qtl.me/filemanager-v0.0.4.png
http://qtl.me/filemanager-details-v0.0.4.png

Hope you like it! :)

w00t
2012-02-17, 20:35
Changes for v0.0.4 so far:

virgin:~/qmlfilemuncher% git log --pretty=oneline nemo/v0.0.3... (W07 - 02/17@21:23:02 CET)
69ee326c6f376d79fe4d4e7067a8eea84acc2190 Fixes: N#124 - Rename capability.
411b69ed450205214ceb170fc8dc9f9a58c09e37 Correct eliding of text on details view.
d3fd82ad9402090d175216c05bb82e4880c67978 Move some logic into the backend.
3fe8dcfe39cadcfc7a925c1e4d0df90bbb52b734 Fixes: N#126 - File manager should provide a method to view extended information
18ee0a56ff34a2caa74a5644ec11347dc6dc0a97 Some fixups to use platform style margins.
df829fce9d0061cfe1d5167180cb5ddc5c5730ce Fixes: N#122 - Items should have a context menu for easy use
0c03d7b904891604437b95a4bf71ea5e86a5b58d Fixes: N#128 - Folder overview should show file size
1dfebd25181e78d99ec6a945f59324ed09a1f05e Fix some style issues.

pycage
2012-02-18, 12:05

There's Music Shelf preinstalled. But please keep in mind that Nemo is not able to play MP3 out of the box for legal reasons. Ogg and FLAC work fine, though.
That version of Music Shelf is a little old, though. I plan to upgrade it soon to the same version which runs on Harmattan.

shmerl
2012-02-19, 00:40
Can you use mplayer on Nemo? It'll play mp3 without any problems.

alinux
2012-02-19, 21:03
Keep up the good work guys -
I would really love
1-Email client
2-IM capabilities

I am not a multimedia guy, but the two features above make alot of difference to me.

w00t
2012-02-19, 21:28
Two more screenshots. Both of these will hopefully be on the next release!

File manager (again, v0.0.4) - demonstrating the shiny new thumbnails. These are cached (as they should have been from day one) meaning no stupid insane wait times to view a directory with lots of images:

http://qtl.me/filemanager-pretty-thumbnails.png

And one of the gallery, also showing off the new thumbnails. It shares code with the file manager :)

http://qtl.me/gallery-nemo-thumbs.png

ivgalvez
2012-02-20, 08:20
Is it possible to use Harmattan version of Filebox by CepiPerez?

w00t
2012-02-20, 08:24

It doesn't look like the source is available, but you can always try installing it. If you have feature requests for Nemo's browser, please file them at http://bugs.nemomobile.org - or better yet, implement them and send me a pull request: https://github.com/nemomobile/qmlfilemuncher/

PartyboyXP
2012-02-20, 18:29
There's Music Shelf preinstalled. But please keep in mind that Nemo is not able to play MP3 out of the box for legal reasons. Ogg and FLAC work fine, though.
That version of Music Shelf is a little old, though. I plan to upgrade it soon to the same version which runs on Harmattan.

Yes please

B-RUNO
2012-02-20, 18:40
Applauses to nemo team latest version its very stable scrolling it's so smooth file manager is great, 5**** for nemo project.
Just a quick question how do make zoom on helium browser?

THanks!!

w00t
2012-02-20, 19:09
Applauses to nemo team latest version its very stable scrolling it's so smooth file manager is great, 5**** for nemo project.

THanks!!

See: https://bugs.nemomobile.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107

pycage
2012-02-20, 20:02

No, it won't start because it's dynamically linked against Harmattan's share API library which isn't available on Nemo.

PartyboyXP
2012-02-21, 01:03
Keep up the good work guys -
I would really love
1-Email client
2-IM capabilities

I am not a multimedia guy, but the two features above make alot of difference to me.

That's true, IM capabilities is a very important feature to use Nemo everyday

hermes040
2012-02-21, 20:42

THanks!!

I have nemo installed on my device, can you tell me how to upgrade?
Should I write the new image on SD card like installing it first time or is there a way to upgrade?
TIA.

fw190
2012-02-21, 21:07
The best way is to put a new image on your sd card. I did it this way when I was testing nemo. It' quick and easy and safe :)

shmerl
2012-02-21, 21:23
Doesn't work with N950 that easily. So there is no way for over-the-air upgrade at the moment?

fw190
2012-02-21, 21:30
Well. I do not have the N950 virus ;) so dont know how to help.

w00t
2012-02-21, 21:43
So there is no way for over-the-air upgrade at the moment?

You can zypper ref; zypper up from a console (as root, obviously). But this doesn't *always* work, as occasionally changes need to be made that aren't backwards-compatible. They are usually a bit rare, though.

B-RUNO
2012-02-21, 22:13

THanks!!

See: https://bugs.nemomobile.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107

Thank w00t for the hint! i really thought we could zoom in the browser with the volume keys, i remember on the first nemo version of 2012 i was able to zoom but at the same time would invoke the volume at the same time i think a metioned on this thread, any way thanks for the response keep doing a great job :)

littelrob
2012-02-22, 22:15
Hi everyone,
first congratulations, I've just installed Nemo and I think it is very promising.
I was wondering if it is possible to connect to 2G/3G network data?
I only manage to use wifi connexion.
...Maybe I've missed something!

w00t
2012-02-23, 15:00
New release is out! See:

http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-23.1/images/

Changelog:

- NEMO#106: Tapping near the edge of screen in applications leads to view change to multitasking
- NEMO#116: Missing application icons for App manager
- NEMO#117: Missing icons for file manager
- NEMO#120: I/O should be threaded
- NEMO#121: Thumbnails should be cached on disk
- NEMO#122: Items should have a context menu for easy use
- NEMO#124: Rename capability.
- NEMO#126: File manager should provide a method to view extended information
- NEMO#128: Folder overview should show file size
- NEMO#144: Images with a non-lowercase extension are not thumbnailed
- NEMO#145: Thumbnail cache should store the size in the filename
- NEMO#148: Thumbnailing should be more UI-friendly
- NEMO#151: File manager should check isDir before checking for a jpg/etc

ayazpak
2012-02-23, 15:57
I manage to put some MP3 files in music folder and shown in Nemo Music Shelf but not playing? How to change any custom wallpaper? any Idea....

ivgalvez
2012-02-23, 16:29
Do you think that the Sparck tablet with Plasma Active on top of Mer, could benefit Nemo Mobile? Specially concerning availability of applications and repository structure.

hermes040
2012-02-23, 17:41
Installed the new image that came out today. works very well. File manager and Meego Apps Loader working nicely.
Can anyone tell me how to see my N900 files?

shmerl
2012-02-23, 17:42
Do you think that the Spack tablet with Palsma Active on top of Mer, could benefit Nemo Mobile? Specially concerning availability of applications and repository structure.

I'd like to see some shared community repository for Mer derived OSes. Mer itself doesn't take care of this, since it provides only core packages. Asiego didn't clearly comment on this issue, just mentioned that zypper repositories should be supported on Spark. Can apps.formeego.org be used for that? How is the issue of enabling dependencies resolutions going there? That repository should store common libraries which are out of scope for core Mer packages, but still are needed for different software. Otherwise package maintainers will need to statically bundle these libraries every time.

Joseph9560
2012-02-23, 18:22
I manage to put some MP3 files in music folder and shown in Nemo Music Shelf but not playing? How to change any custom wallpaper? any Idea....

As someone already wrote, MP3 won't work out of the box because of legal issues.

TransTech
2012-02-23, 18:44
what is meego app loader? can we use meego apps on nemo? and what about harmattan apps for nemo on n900?

off topic: can anyone share the nemo winter wallpaper and a screenshot of the homescreen as i'm creating something awesome for maemo.. ;)

PartyboyXP
2012-02-23, 23:22
As someone already wrote, MP3 won't work out of the box because of legal issues.

But... that's permanent? We can't never play mp3 ?

shmerl
2012-02-23, 23:28
You probably can use mplayer for that (if you build it).

jacktanner
2012-02-24, 04:57
But... that's permanent? We can't never play mp3 ?

Not all legal issues are issues in all countries. Someone will inevitably compile a 3rd party player for mp3s. The question is how would such software be distributed.

Joseph9560
2012-02-24, 05:59
I don't think there is any issue in creating an app to play mp3. The problem, as far as I know is including mp3 player in OS or at least that's what I understood from since the period of Ubuntu that also do not include the mp3 player in its default OS but allows to download codecs for mp3 as soon as user installs it in its system.

hermes040
2012-02-25, 10:22
off topic: can anyone share the nemo winter wallpaper and a screenshot of the homescreen as i'm creating something awesome for maemo.. ;)

I am not sure if those are the files you asked for, but here you go.
The original file locations are in /usr/share/themes/darko/meegotouch/images/

Couldn't do screenshot of homescreen as I don't know how to make screenshot in nemo/meego. Key combination of maemo didn't work :(

tanpoaran
2012-03-01, 08:54
New release is out! See:

http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120120.1.NEMO.2012-02-23.1/images/

Changelog:

gprs networking did not worked :(

TransTech
2012-03-01, 17:11
I am not sure if those are the files you asked for, but here you go.
The original file locations are in /usr/share/themes/darko/meegotouch/images/

Couldn't do screenshot of homescreen as I don't know how to make screenshot in nemo/meego. Key combination of maemo didn't work :(

Thanks a ton... I will be using this in MaeMeeMo,

p.s. I will give you a credit for the wallpaper there :) (and also the Nemo team for the original work.)

thanks again :)

Edit: btw I dont need the screenshot as I already made the App-Menu icon by myself. :) hope it looks same. :)

hermes040
2012-03-04, 12:27
Thanks a ton... I will be using this in MaeMeeMo,

p.s. I will give you a credit for the wallpaper there :) (and also the Nemo team for the original work.)

I don't think I deserve any credit cause all I 've done is copy the files for you from relevant directories, but thanks anyway.
Extracted some more images from meego themes for you, just in case you may offer options.

stlpaul
2012-03-05, 07:02
Tried Nemo for the first time on my N900, no SIM card, wifi only, seems to work pretty well so far. Lots better than the MeeGo build I tried a year ago ;)

acrux
2012-03-06, 07:38
So tested the latest build from March 1st (nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-0.20120209.1.NEMO.2012-03-01.2). In comparison to CE builds the look and feel are more uniform and the selection of apps is more natural. Unfortunately the e-mail app is still missing.

On the negative side - there are for now no other virtual keyboard layouts except english. No way to insert letters like öäü etc with it. Fortunately by editing the X.org config file I was able to get german hardware keyboard layout working.

Sometimes it is impossible to answer a call. The display lights up, but no ringtone plays and no dialer application appears.

Keep up good work :) Thanks!

PartyboyXP
2012-03-10, 15:48
Someone try the latest build?

acrux
2012-03-10, 18:03
Someone try the latest build?

The build from March 1st is the latest. No new build this week. ;)

guisoliver
2012-03-13, 02:54
Well, i already saw the video showing a new release of Nemo and i was very happy because this new system can be a good option to keep the N900 live with a new operating system

But if everybody says that the Maemo 5 have few amount of softwares, this Nemo will have less than five interesting applications. But for me, don't matter that we have million of apps but common smartphone apps (or tasks) are needed for me.

It's possible to run Hartmann Apps on Nemo? And it's possible to dual-boot this system with original Maemo?

ivgalvez
2012-03-13, 07:52
Well, i already saw the video showing a new release of Nemo and i was very happy because this new system can be a good option to keep the N900 live with a new operating system

But if everybody says that the Maemo 5 have few amount of softwares, this Nemo will have less than five interesting applications. But for me, don't matter that we have million of apps but common smartphone apps (or tasks) are needed for me.

It's possible to run Hartmann Apps on Nemo? And it's possible to dual-boot this system with original Maemo?

Yes, it's possible. However it's not error prone and not all applications work. There isn't any Wiki or list of working applications.

Indeed Nemo is progressing nicely but more applications are needed to be useful.

whisk4s
2012-03-13, 14:57
I played around a bit with Nemo in Virtualbox. Unfortunately, the performance while being on desktop and menu is horrible. Are there any performance tweaks apart from hardware virtualization (VT)? What about "LLVMpipe"? I found no explanation how to use that...

Fun fact: the performance while being in the App Manager is fantastic :cool:

panjgoori
2012-03-13, 17:50
i will try it now. btw my sd card speed while connected to usb is 8 mb/s. does this will effect nemo's performance ? thanks and from where i can find apps for Nemo.

ymartin59
2012-03-16, 21:26
My N900 is configured with multiboot and kernel power...

I am looking for a multiboot item to boot the Nemo image I have copied on my sd card but found nothing yet.

Thank you for your help.

ayazpak
2012-03-20, 08:54
New weekly image available at http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120315.1.NEMO.2012-03-19.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/ also for N950, N9, Virtual Machine and PandaBoard

ivgalvez
2012-03-20, 11:01
Is actually working any one in porting Nemo to different devices than already supported?

shmerl
2012-03-20, 16:41
Is actually working any one in porting Nemo to different devices than already supported?

Are there any new devices with X/Wayland support? Until Tizen ones come out, I doubt you'll hear any news.

ivgalvez
2012-03-20, 16:47
SHR actually works in nice number of devices: http://shr-project.org/trac/wiki/Devices

The more devices running, probably the more developers involved so I think it would be good to have a bigger number of supported devices (even if not fully functional) to attract more developers.

shmerl
2012-03-20, 16:52
I think fully supported devices are needed to get something serious. And these are still very few. If they never make to the consumer - they'll be just hacker toys.

PartyboyXP
2012-04-06, 00:40
Someone test the latest release?

tanpoaran
2012-04-07, 00:56
Someone test the latest release?

not working: bluetooth, usb mass storage mode, usb networking,
browser still slow at loading

ayazpak
2012-04-13, 10:45
New Weekly nemo mobile image available http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120405.1.NEMO.2012-04-12.1/images/

PartyboyXP
2012-04-13, 19:25
New Weekly nemo mobile image available http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120405.1.NEMO.2012-04-12.1/images/

Thank you :)

lirikosova
2012-04-21, 10:46
okay guys I installed nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-0.20120405.1.NEMO.2012-04-12.1-mmcblk0p I think this was last release but shame to say i don't know how to close applications i clicked that X icon which appears from status menu but it doesn't work also I have problem with time changing I cannot change time and time zone >>> home screen need more improvement there is a little space in screen ... i'm getting also charger errors battery errors now I'm again stucked how to close an application guys :$:D

lirikosova
2012-04-21, 10:47
okay i found how to close application sorry but it needs more improvements

shmerl
2012-04-22, 01:28
Can anyone please help maintaining Trojita port for Nemo? It's a handset e-mail client:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=5837

PartyboyXP
2012-05-01, 19:40
okay i found how to close application sorry but it needs more improvements

Yep, but it's going in a good way

Sourav.dubey
2012-05-02, 15:39
New nemo image available to download
http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120419.2.NEMO.2012-04-30.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

skykooler
2012-05-02, 15:47
How would one go about installing an application that isn't in the apps browser?

shmerl
2012-05-02, 20:22
Just install the RPM?

mrp
2012-05-03, 10:03
any video showing the progress available?

PartyboyXP
2012-05-14, 16:08
any video showing the progress available?

Yes please!!!

zappAtom
2012-05-15, 09:22
Would also like to see progress visually ;-)

Estel
2012-05-15, 09:44
No problem, just install it, run, and record video, then post it here.

Really, do you think that developers doesn't have better things to do with their limited free time? Video is a thing that *really* can be done by testers, even with 0 compiling/coding experience.

You can't contribute by code - it's OK, but at least, don't demand thing that You can do on your own.

/Estel

zappAtom
2012-05-15, 10:45
It wasn't meant this way...I just wanted to add that updates in the form of videos would be appreciated. It's very true the user can do this! Let's wait until I buy my 2nd N9 for developing...

m_dk29
2012-05-15, 11:08
i installed it on n900 and really loved it. Looking forward to have a full functional version on emmc. Then i think most of people will move to Nemo.

Great job guys.

m4r0v3r
2012-05-15, 11:53
looking nice fellas, am waiting for cordia or plasma active to make a useable effort and am tempted to switch :D

ombre
2012-05-15, 18:51
Hi, I'll upload a video of the whole process for you before Sunday as I am going to flash it on my N9.

zappAtom
2012-05-16, 07:45
Thanks ombre! Looking forward to it!

TransTech
2012-05-19, 11:02
is there a text editor for Nemo...? or if not, can anyone port one from meego?

Thanks in Advance :)

Alfred
2012-05-19, 11:57
Ordered a 10 class microsSD card, will be testing more n9 apps on my n900 soon. Can't wait to test a new build

Estel
2012-05-19, 12:58
Why not class 4 cards? they're *much*, much faster for purposes like that.

/Estel

qwazix
2012-05-19, 13:26
By my experience they are not. Class 6's may be, but a not-so-good class 10 is way faster for Nemo than a Class 4 for me. It makes a difference between usability and non-usability

Alfred
2012-05-19, 13:32
Why not class 4 cards? they're *much*, much faster for purposes like that.

/Estel

Well, the one that i have right now is 2. so i decided to go for the best (i guess)

qwazix
2012-05-19, 13:50
Faster sd cards trade random access speeds for sequential read/write speeds so the best for running an OS from is not class 10 but most probably class 6. Maybe even class 4 but my experience says otherwise.

Estel
2012-05-19, 13:55
class 2 is - most of the times - still faster for random I/O writes, i.e. all that matter for rujnning OS'es/swap. Class 6 and 10 are much faster in sequential read/write, at the sacrifice of random I/O.

Also, "class" rating is not standarized nor verifed, so it also depends much on manufacturer. Generally, genuine SanDisk class 4 kick as* of every other card types for our purposes, especially, the 8GB variant.

As a rule of thumb, for our purposes:
class 4 > class 2 > class 6 > class 10

So, it's quite the opposite, if You wanted to "go for the best" - it's most expensive for sure, but best only for Cameras with RAW (to save photos quickly) or using as pendrive, for big files storage.

/Estel

seanmcken
2012-05-19, 14:43
can we access n900 (MyDocs) in nemo?

Alfred
2012-05-19, 15:50
Okay, thanks guys... I should've stayed with my rule. "Research a lot before buying". Will test all cards, that i have with nemo.

www.rzr.online.fr
2012-05-19, 16:37
is there a text editor for Nemo...? or if not, can anyone port one from meego?

Thanks in Advance :)

Edit: I did build redak for nemo , now looking for betatesters

http://rzr.online.fr/q/redak

---

Orig:

redak should build using obs but I didnt figure out yet lol :)

feel free to branch :

https://build.pub.meego.com/package/files?package=redak&project=home%3Arzr

and I will release a new version if it's ok ...

Wonko
2012-05-20, 16:56
Well, I just built my first four packages for Nemo.
While I was at it I documented what I did in the following post in my blog: http://ruedigergad.com/2012/05/20/packaging-and-publishing-meegoharmattan-applications-for-mernemo-via-obs/#more-421

With respect to the packages:
I packaged two of my applications, Q To-Do and MeePasswords, as well as re-packaged the Qt Cryptographic Architecture (qca2) plus the accompanying QCA OpenSSL plug-in (libqca2-plugin-ossl) based on the Harmattan sources for Mer/Nemo (these two are dependencies for MeePasswords). Note that for QCA I essentially used the *.yaml and *.spec files as created by Marko Saukko (sage) and only adapted these for being used with the source of the Harmattan version. For the QCA OpenSSL plugin I simply re-packaged the whole thing based on the sources of the Harmattan version.

You can get everything in my download repository:
http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/wonko/CE_MW_MTF_CE_MW_Shared_armv7hl/
and see the source files in my OBS repository:
https://build.pub.meego.com/project/show?project=home%3Awonko

For a guide on how to use the download repository within Mer/Nemo via zypper please see the very last paragraphs of the blog post I linked above.

Q To-Do and MeePasswords still show some little quirks but generally they work quite well, at least what I can say from very brief testing. For MeePasswords after startup the UI is messed up. You need to minimize and maximize it for getting the right UI.

I hope some of you will find this useful.

PS: It would be nice if there could be a way to integrate qca2 and libqca2-plugin-ossl in the default Mer/Nemo repositories. Though, right now, I don't know whom to ask and what the process will be. I think these are important packages on which much more applications or other libraries might depend.

Edit: With respect to adding new packages: I talked with Stskeeps on IRC and he was very helpful and pointed me into the right direction on how to add those libs to the Mer/Nemo repositories. Thanks again. :)

ayazpak
2012-05-21, 21:07
New Nemo Weekly image http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120517.1.NEMO.2012-05-21.1/images/
with Bugs Fixed:
- NEMO#69 : Telepathy not in Nemo
- NEMO#112 : Home and Close buttons should be removed from dialer application
- NEMO#162 : Missing a calendar application
Other Changes:
- Peregrine application added, with xmpp protocol support. So, now you can use gtalk with Nemo as well.
- QML Calendar application added.
- myatzy game was added
- This release is based on new Mer Core 0.20120517.1, see notes at http://www.mail-archive.com/mer-general@lists.merproject.org/msg00503.html

shmerl
2012-05-21, 22:09
Well, I just built my first four packages for Nemo.

Did you try using Mer SDK with scratchbox2?

- Peregrine application added, with xmpp protocol support. So, now you can use gtalk with Nemo as well.

I guess no chance for Jingle (video calls) support in Peregrine at this point?

seanmcken
2012-05-22, 06:26
plz tell how to access MyDocs in nemo?

Wonko
2012-05-22, 06:59
Did you try using Mer SDK with scratchbox2?

Not yet

10 chars

PartyboyXP
2012-05-26, 16:12
New Nemo Weekly image http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120517.1.NEMO.2012-05-21.1/images/
with Bugs Fixed:
- NEMO#69 : Telepathy not in Nemo
- NEMO#112 : Home and Close buttons should be removed from dialer application
- NEMO#162 : Missing a calendar application
Other Changes:
- QML Calendar application added.
- myatzy game was added
- This release is based on new Mer Core 0.20120517.1, see notes at http://www.mail-archive.com/mer-general@lists.merproject.org/msg00503.html

Very good news, so... we have now integrated im capabilities or is only a app?

ayazpak
2012-05-26, 16:22
Very good news, so... we have now integrated im capabilities or is only a app?

After installing Nemo Image to my N900 did not got time to check..... sorry

panjgoori
2012-05-31, 15:31
im having a problem. after 2 or 3 boots Nemo just fails to load. always stuck at Nemo loading screen. doesnt go forward from this point. anyone else having this problem or any solution for this ?

also previously used Nemo but faced the the same error.

it say sending firmware failed.

nodevel
2012-06-01, 08:12
Same thing happened to me.
Couple of times, it booted without a problem, but now it's stuck saying:
[ 0.929079] twl4030_wdt twl4030_wdt: Failed to register misc device
[ 0.956146] Power management for TI OMAP3.
[ 1.104919] drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
^[[Csystemd-fsck[71] /dev/mmcblk0p1: clean, 21257/230658 files, 202735/921599 blocks
[ 7.563049] i2c_omap i2c_omap.2: controller timed out
[ 9.489776] isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev smia-sensor
[ 12.426849] hci_h4p hci_h4p: FW error
[ 12.437805] hci_h4p hci_h4p: Sending firmware failed.
Any ideas?

panjgoori
2012-06-01, 09:25
yes exactly im also facing the same error.

timoph
2012-06-01, 09:44
I've faced the same issue a couple of times (stuck on loading screen). dd:ing the image to the sd card again solved it for me. Also as a side note: writing the image with some other OS than Linux seems to be more error prone.

panjgoori
2012-06-01, 14:15
I've faced the same issue a couple of times (stuck on loading screen). dd:ing the image to the sd card again solved it for me. Also as a side note: writing the image with some other OS than Linux seems to be more error prone.

thanks for your reply. will try to re-write image file of nemo in Memory card again to check it.

panjgoori
2012-06-01, 19:03
wrote Nemo image again. anyone knows is processor is overclocked in Nemo ? if yes then at which frequencies its running ? Min and Max.

edit: again the same error just after 1 boot. will format my mmc and until this bug is solved i will keep my self away from Nemo. and bug report about this bug ?

Wonko
2012-06-14, 11:28
Just for your information: MeePasswords and Q To-Do made it into CE:Apps:MTF. Thus, it should be possible to install it without adding my private repository.

PartyboyXP
2012-06-18, 05:36
Any video of the current release?

menghao1993
2012-06-18, 05:54
Any video of the current release?

I wish someone can share it.
might another piece of class10 memory card to boot Nemo if it's suitable for daily usage..

Estel
2012-06-23, 23:40
Actually, You would be better with class 4 card - it's better in random I/O performance. class 6 and 10 is for bulk read/write only...

From all manufacturers, SanDisk class 4, reportedly, behaves best.

/Estel

PartyboyXP
2012-07-03, 04:25
NEW BUILD 02/07/2012

http://repository.maemo.org/meego/Nemo/0.20120614.1.NEMO.2012-07-02.1/images/nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900/

seanmcken
2012-07-03, 08:08
plz tell wat r the changes this version cuz i flashed my n900 just now

timoph
2012-07-03, 08:20
plz tell wat r the changes this version cuz i flashed my n900 just now

http://www.mail-archive.com/mer-general@lists.merproject.org/msg00588.html

peterleinchen
2012-07-06, 21:08
Just tried it out and looks quite nice and promising. And speed is well against first MeeGo versions.

But looked around a bit, because I wanted to know what is working and what not. Did not find it (OK, lazy ;)), anyone has a source for that info?

seanmcken
2012-07-07, 01:52
bluetooth and file manager to access MyDocs of nokia n900 is working??

peterleinchen
2012-07-07, 10:44
Bluetooth not.
WiFi maybe but definitely only for visible networks.
Calls outgoing not at all, incoming were one time detected (phone riniging), but could not answer. Other time not detected at all (on caller side was ringing normally).
file manger do not know

PartyboyXP
2012-07-08, 14:35
File manager works
Calls works perfect
Wifi works too
Bluetooth not

peterleinchen
2012-07-09, 07:35
Hi Partyboy,

If call is working for you (and others?), what could I have done wrong?
I flashed the SD image. loaded kernel with u-boot (ah, maybe newest u-boot by pali used) and just opened dialer and entered some munber and pressed green button. But to no avail. Similar on getting called. One time a heard a ringing tone, but no more (no dialer or notification popped up). Later on I did see the missed call on log!?
And: I was connected to network, a sending/receiving SMS worked! (So I thought, similar status as nitdroid?)

And for WLAN: is it possible to enter access data for a hidden network?

Thanks.

w00t
2012-07-17, 21:14
I would let Stskeeps post this himself and gain all the credit and glory... but it's really too damn good to wait for.

07/17@22:56:20 <#nemomobile/Stskeepz> in other news, if you want to fix the @$@$@$ tearing on
n950/n9, edit /usr/share/meegotouch/targets/N950.conf to say
X=854 instead of X=856

Not only does this fix tearing in a bunch of applications (like the homescreen...), it also fixes really horrible compositor flicker a lot. Some applications still flicker, but that's fixable.

This feels sooooo much better! Should be on next release I guess, but it's not submitted so far.

bandora
2012-07-17, 21:31
I have NITdroid and MeeGo Harmattan (of course) on my N9.. Can I do a triple boot with Nemo? And if yes, can anyone guide me to the instructions (wiki?) on how to do it please?

w00t
2012-07-22, 14:32
A sneak peek of some upcoming gallery improvements, thanks to 'special': http://qtl.me/20120721-195453-rot.png

I've also spent saturday making the switch gesture a lot less sensitive/annoying (hopefully).

And last night/today, I spent on trying to hack up a working battery icon for the N950/N9. I think I succeeded, need to let my battery run down to see :)

None of these are integrated yet, but... they're in the pipeline... Of course, many hands make light work, so if you've got an itch to scratch, come help scratch it... :)

PartyboyXP
2012-07-22, 14:36
A sneak peek of some upcoming gallery improvements, thanks to 'special': http://qtl.me/20120721-195453-rot.png

I've also spent saturday making the switch gesture a lot less sensitive/annoying (hopefully).

And last night/today, I spent on trying to hack up a working battery icon for the N950/N9. I think I succeeded, need to let my battery run down to see :)

None of these are integrated yet, but... they're in the pipeline... Of course, many hands make light work, so if you've got an itch to scratch, come help scratch it... :)

Nice work!

mikecomputing
2012-07-22, 17:13
does the latest nemo release work on n9?

tried copy files to my n9 but it does seem to fallback and boot harmattan.

erendorn
2012-07-22, 17:15
Can you make it red when it's drying up fast?

w00t
2012-07-22, 17:44
does the latest nemo release work on n9?

tried copy files to my n9 but it does seem to fallback and boot harmattan.

As far as I know, it should. I haven't tried. If it doesn't, pop into #nemomobile on freenode and give someone a yell. (Be patient, especially if you're outside european hours, as there's not loads of us around then :))

w00t
2012-07-22, 17:45
Can you make it red when it's drying up fast?

My focus for now is to get it working at all. Extra features.. later, maybe. If you want to try, of course, you're welcome.

w00t
2012-07-23, 11:10
Some more prototyping from special, this time on a messaging UI...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59034791/20120723-085426.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59034791/20120723-090939.png

Backend for this is going to be a little bit difficult, but at least the UI part is coming along so far :)

w00t
2012-07-23, 12:13
A new contacts application, written in QML, has just had its initial integration.

Here's some screenshots of the current state:
http://qtl.me/20110211-234233-rot.png

The editor:
http://qtl.me/20110211-234429-rot.png

The contact viewer:
http://qtl.me/20110211-234603-rot.png

Plenty still to do, and a lot of bugs to address (like this list here (https://bugs.nemomobile.org/buglist.cgi?product=Applications&component=Contacts%2FPeople&resolution=---)) but I hope you'll agree that it's not too bad looking :)

don_falcone
2012-07-23, 12:23
To be honest: IMHO "the" iPhone messaging theme (bubbles, and text not fully justified) is actually bad looking... :(

w00t
2012-07-23, 12:29
To be honest: IMHO "the" iPhone messaging theme (bubbles, and text not fully justified) is actually bad looking... :(

It's not a finished product. It's the sum of an hour or two's worth of mocking things up. It's not going to look good at this stage.

But if that's the kind of reaction I'm going to get, I won't keep posting things like that :)

mrsellout
2012-07-23, 22:28
@ w00t. I don't know about that. I think it's good to show the bits of progress you make because it shows that the platform is still alive, and it might encourage a few more people to test out the images or even contribute some code.

pelago
2012-07-24, 10:02
w00t, please continue to post screenshots. I for one am very interested in Nemo, but not quite enough to make me reflash my N900, so rely on screenshots and videos to see how things are progressing.

Wonko
2012-07-24, 10:33
First of all, thanks a lot w00t for all your work and keeping this thread alive. :)

Secondly, I take this as motivation to also post some screenshots of some work Nicola and me are doing. We are currently working on the qmlcalendar app.

Attached screenshots show the icon that displays the current day of month. This functionality is essentially based on thp's script for Harmattan and was adapted to work with Nemo as systemd service. Thanks again thp. :)

Furthermore, it is possible to switch between months by using a swipe gesture. That's what the last image is supposed to show. It is admittedly a little hard to see but this last image was taken while swiping from right to left.

w00t
2012-07-24, 11:03
w00t, please continue to post screenshots. I for one am very interested in Nemo, but not quite enough to make me reflash my N900, so rely on screenshots and videos to see how things are progressing.

I will still be posting. The main thought I have is - what state things should be in before posting. Right now, I'm treating this like a proper open source project: I'm posting things I work on, and others work on, perhaps before they're in a finished state (in the case of messaging, far from it: there's a lot to do).

This is good because it's accurate: here's what we have now - but it's not in a product-ready state at all. Far from it. And the criticism that it looks bad is totally correct.

w00t
2012-07-24, 11:06
Secondly, I take this as motivation to also post some screenshots of some work Nicola and me are doing. We are currently working on the qmlcalendar app.

Nice work on the calendar. I have some feedback for you guys - this may not apply as it looks like the version of calendar I have is a bit old (if you have something newer, remember to integrate it, so others can test! ;))

I think you should either lock orientation to portrait, or try do some work to adapt to a landscape layout, because right now, it's not that great.

Also, when panning across months, it might be nice to animate the movement of the month name, too.

BTW, what's your nick on IRC? Would be nice to know who I'm talking to :-)

PartyboyXP
2012-07-24, 11:29
Great work w00t and Wonko! Nemo is going very well!

w00t
2012-07-24, 12:28
I spent last night prototyping code sharing between applications on the platform. The end result is that the contacts application can now use the gallery's UI for picking avatars:

http://qtl.me/20120724-152641-rot.png

Not yet pushed to OBS, but it will be within the next day or so I guess...

wesq
2012-07-24, 16:30
I spent last night prototyping code sharing between applications on the platform. The end result is that the contacts application can now use the gallery's UI for picking avatars:

Not yet pushed to OBS, but it will be within the next day or so I guess...

Cool to see so much visible progress again. I'll definitely need to find my SD-card reader so that I can check the latest images on N900.

acrux
2012-07-24, 16:48
Thank you for the news about continuing development :)
I have tested almost every release of Meego Community Edition and Nemomobile. When we will be able to test that new stuff?

mikecomputing
2012-07-24, 17:13
It seems jolla has got people get more intrests in nemomobile :D

Great works guys :D