PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate and CHEEP 770 stand!!

Mike Cane
2005-12-23, 15:49
I knew what I wanted. I'd seen them before. A wee folding stand made out of wire. I'd seen them to prop up books. I'd also seen them to hold small photos (kitsch).

I went in search of this in several discount variety stores in NYC and I came across the *perfect* stands -- cheep!

They are called Dish Easels.

I bought this --
http://www.acme-usa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=780

And I bought this --
http://www.acme-usa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=794

I wish I could post pictures, but I trashed my Casio Exilim (left it in my jacket pocket as the jacket went through the washer *and* dryer!).

With the clear acrylic, it can open very wide and the 770's sides rest on the base.

With the black one, the protuding port bottom of the 770 rests on the base; the wood only opens to a set point.

Both of these are very lightweight and small and are perfect to carry around. Just the thing to hold the 770 upright when using a Bluetooth keyboard. Might even work with a USB keyboard! There seems to be enough clearance for the mini-B connector, from what I can see (my cable is not with me right now!).

I got mine at Ralph's Discount City in NYC (Chambers Street, btwn Bway and Church; go downstairs to housewares, look on the wall), for a total of $6.05.

Better start snapping these up while you can. Someone will get the bright idea to repackage these as PDA stands and charge $20!

(Of course, I expect the manly DIYers here to pop down to their basement and make one in five minutes out of the scrap wood they have lying about!)

faiyaz
2005-12-23, 16:29
is this better than the stand that comes with the 770?

Mike Cane
2005-12-23, 16:34
What, those two legs?

I think so.

I can figure out how to use these. And they are one piece.

Besides, if you'd rather stick with what Nokia supplies, at least now you know of a triage alternative should you lose the Nokia ones.

RogerS
2005-12-23, 18:23
Is the "mahogany" easel actually made of mahogany? Or is that just a description of its color?

Hedgecore
2005-12-23, 19:06
I like the stand it comes with. Fits in the pocket easily by taking it apart, slides together in a half second. What would kick *** is something with a rubber surface such that the device doesn't slide around.

wendo
2005-12-23, 19:19
Mike, the stand that comes with the 770 isn't one piece. They're two legs that snap together. Pull them apart and then slide one leg over the other. It makes a stand very similar to what you bought.

Mike Cane
2005-12-23, 22:44
I will have to try the Nokia one.

Mahogany is just the color, I think. I think it is pressed wood pulp.

erica
2005-12-27, 20:46
I was wondering why u would buy this when the supplied one is almost the exact same? Just curious.
Do supplied ones break easy or something or is it a color choice thing?

Robert Gadd (OnPoint)
2005-12-27, 21:54
In addition to the N770, we bought an OQO Model 1 which comes with one stand and I ordered another for use at home (see link below). At US$19, it is actually a nice, solid and stable stand that permits you to have the power and USB cables attached. It is way better than the N770 stand though it can't be collapsed and stuffed into your briefcase as easily for travel. If you're looking for a stand to use at your desk, it's a good choice.

Hope that helps.

Robert ;.)

http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html

Mike Cane
2005-12-28, 21:07
Live via free 770 --

Still haven't gotten to the supplied Nokia stand, but from pics I've seen, does it sit on a low (30 degree) slope? The dish easel puts it near upright.

That metal OQO stand is nice, but heavy for travel, I think.

Mike Cane
2006-01-03, 14:40
OK, just tried the Nokia-supplied stand.

The 770 tends to slip out when in its shell. Just had that happen while connected via USB for the Wekk 51 Update!

The dish easel easily supports the 770 in its shell without any slippage.