PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario War!

ArnimS
2007-07-26, 09:15
Super Mario War (http://pupnik.de/smw.html) debs are up for download/testing.

On my 770 it was crashing during load on the menu (can someone test this on a 770?) On N800 unique311 says it works great. (EDIT)
On the 770 it needs virtual memory enabled.

Feedback and complaints in this thread plz.

Thanks to unique311 for spotting this game! :D

iball
2007-07-26, 12:51
Well, the debs won't install via app manager.

EDIT: Won't install via app manager on the new skype-enabled OS on the N800 however, it installs via the command-line just fine.

Also, would be nice if there was an icon to launch it from in the menu.

After a while though, you can no longer move your character around. Other than that it plays just perfectly, full-speed with sound!

zerojay
2007-07-26, 18:16
I'll be giving this a shot soon. I was just playing it with my wife and kid for hours on the Xbox. ;)

zerojay
2007-07-26, 18:41
I have been able to install it via the N800 app manager. You just have to install the data files first and then the app. Works like a charm. Works nearly perfectly... just need to add buttons now.

ArnimS
2007-07-27, 10:33
Thanks for the feedback! I fixed the .debs last night - didn't know they'd install on a n800 too.

I'll try to do something about the load times and get menu working tonight.

debernardis
2007-07-27, 13:34
Works allright on my n800 with last firmware. Maybe you should default the "turbo" and "use item" controls to the tablet's hardware keys.

zerojay
2007-08-07, 13:24
Anything new going on here?

Nik1
2007-08-07, 21:21
Either im a dummy when it comes to gaming or somethings wrong. When I hit start and choose my color the game doesnt seem to run, it seems to be awaiting second player.

EDIT: Duh! All I had to do is add a bot, great game by the way, only if it were actual full screen and if the n800 had more keys :)

ArnimS
2007-08-08, 03:51
Either im a dummy when it comes to gaming or somethings wrong. When I hit start and choose my color the game doesnt seem to run, it seems to be awaiting second player.

EDIT: Duh! All I had to do is add a bot, great game by the way, only if it were actual full screen and if the n800 had more keys :)

Yeah that took me a while to figure out too. Thanks for mentioning it here.

The game won't be fullscreen because all the maps are made for the 640x480 aspect ratio. Onscreen buttons on the right hand side are definately doable though.

vf3
2007-08-13, 08:27
Installed SMW. Which directory is this installed under?
Thanks.

zeez
2007-08-14, 03:51
Wow. Works _very_ well on my N800. Especially happy about it since fceu is buggy on the N800. But it needs touchscreen buttons on the right to actually make it playable. So cool!

vf3
2007-08-16, 13:43
OK got this working on my N770 by extending the virtual memory.
This game is brilliant. thanking you.

Frankowitz
2007-08-16, 14:30
Not a complaint, but I feel Internet Tablets are not suitable for these kind of programs/games. Navigation is not like it should be.
Considering the pricelevel of a Gameboy Advance, this is not an option.

zeez
2007-08-16, 15:59
Not a complaint, but I feel Internet Tablets are not suitable for these kind of programs/games. Navigation is not like it should be.
Considering the pricelevel of a Gameboy Advance, this is not an option.

For someone like me who just occasionally plays games it is. I'm not carrying an extra device for a little better gaming experience.

Texrat
2007-08-16, 17:19
Nice work again, Arnim. I'll get my kids to provide some feedback. :D

ArnimS
2007-08-16, 19:43
Nice work again, Arnim. I'll get my kids to provide some feedback. :D

There is a special function button that needs a second button, and that will probably need an onscreen button.

Ok folks.. At nokia. Bear with me

You are playing a game.

Your left thumb is controlling direction on a dpad - you need to move fast left/right;up/down/diagonal.

Your right thumb is sitting there asking "what should i do? what should i do?"

I will continue until you understand. :)

Rocketman
2007-08-16, 20:46
The 770/N800 wasn't exactly designed with gaming in mind, but even without considering gaming, I find it pretty difficult to understand why they didn't include a few application assignable buttons on the right side of the screen. I can understand the oversight in a version 1.0 device, but not by the time the n800 was under design. I also feel like the buttons on the n800 are a big step backwards from those of the 770. The merger of the seperate desktop/menu/back buttons into on button with little tactile feedback and the similar merger and chicletizing of the top keys make the n800 much more unpleasant to use for many tasks, particularly ebook reading. I am surprised by how many things I still find the 770 to be better at.

ArnimS
2007-08-16, 21:11
The 770/N800 wasn't exactly designed with gaming in mind,

Um... WHATEVER the purpose is. The ergonomics of the human body is immutable.

We have fingers and thumbs.

We hold the device

Your fingers and thumbs are the only things avalable to control the device.

Left hand... Right hand.... Work it out... holding the tablet... thumb... thumb... hello? hello?

testerj
2007-08-16, 22:12
Although FCEU is buggy, if you get the first version of it, you can use the top buttons instead of on screen

Each major release had different functionality, for shooting games or something that requires precision clicking Bora 1 the first release works fine, the last version makes the screen flicker... Bora 2 was ok, but didn't work as well as the first original release, check the main site for the different versions you can get.

Rocketman
2007-08-16, 22:19
Um... WHATEVER the purpose is. The ergonomics of the human body is immutable.

We have fingers and thumbs.

We hold the device

Your fingers and thumbs are the only things avalable to control the device.

Left hand... Right hand.... Work it out... holding the tablet... thumb... thumb... hello? hello?

preaching to the choir here...

=DC=
2007-08-18, 04:00
Wow! That's great work. Plays nicely on the 770 too. However, it is a little buggy still, (can't use throwable items?). It would also be perfect if there was a simple bluetooth controller that worked with it. As it stands, I'd rather not play it too much. I like my hands cramp free thank you. :)

dcarter
2007-08-18, 08:49
I get this error when launching smw via xterm on my 770 running 2007 hacker edition:

Super Mario War 1.8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------- startup ----------------
init SDL
running @ 640x480 16bpp (done)
dsp_protocol_open_node(): Could not open pcm device file /dev/dsptask/pcm3
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
/ $

Has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,

dcarter

ArnimS
2007-08-18, 11:45
I get this error when launching smw via xterm on my 770 running 2007 hacker edition:

Yes, see:

https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=702&group_id=164&atid=681

A fix is there. This should be fixed in the next 2007he release.

dcarter
2007-08-18, 20:46
Got it ArminS!!

Thanks for this awesome port- I find that mapping jump to the middle dpad button and putting turbo/use weapon on the left/right rocker is pretty fun.

Ya know, if you felt like it, I am sure that I am not the only one who would throw a few dollars your way if you put a paypal dealie or something on your site.

dcarter