PDA

View Full Version : Installing Maemo SDK on Scratchbox - Tutorial

brianez21
2007-07-29, 00:52
..... ....

debernardis
2007-07-29, 06:53
Thanks for your post, a simple guide was badly needed. Could you extend it to the compilation of a simple app, please? Where do I ./configure, make & make install? Thanks

9a6or
2007-07-29, 10:09
I've been waiting for such a tutorial for months, nice work brianez21. I suggest you put it in the wiki so that we can all keep it up-to-date.

johsua
2007-07-29, 11:34
I've been waiting for such a tutorial for months, nice work brianez21. I suggest you put it in the wiki so that we can all keep it up-to-date.

yes - add it to the wiki. Isn't there also a wiki at maemo.org?

mfresh
2007-07-29, 14:15
Just to add another appreciation:

thanks for this - great work. Can't wait for hints on how to compile!

yabbas
2007-07-31, 22:23
Fantastic :)

Many thanks!

iball
2007-08-01, 14:25
I would develop more for the N800 IF there was an easy way to get the development environment on my Mac (OS X 10.4.10).
Since there isn't - and no, VMWARE images don't count either, I don't want the overhead added - I guess I'll skip out on this one.

jay8378
2007-08-02, 15:40
Is there a 64bit version? Or a way to force it to use the 32bit libs? Sorry for the noobish questions but after all, i am a noob :)

edit: i have found this http://www.rahkonen.org/projects.html
seems like a good place to start.

tabletrat
2007-08-10, 08:47
Thanks for the description, it is helping quite a bit trying to get a development environment set up for the 770 under parallels on my mac. At least I can keep trying under parallels!
I must say though it is almost like they don't want you to write software for this device it is such a pain to install everything, or maybe I expect too much. I know if you want to write stuff for microsoft mobile devices, you download the development tools in a single file, double click it and your done. I guess that is why they have a better reach with unspecial machines.

I think I have scratchbox installed anyway though, so just need the 770 stuff. Is there a simple guide (that actually works, unlike the ones I found) for the 770?

i.rachita
2007-08-12, 12:37
what has to be modified in this tutorial for a N770? from the release notes I would say that http://repository.maemo.org/stable/2.2/ directory should be used, am I correct?

tabletrat
2007-08-12, 19:42
what has to be modified in this tutorial for a N770? from the release notes I would say that http://repository.maemo.org/stable/2.2/ directory should be used, am I correct?

That is what I assumed. I have tried 3 times now, and I am sure I am close as I can start scratchbox, start Xephyr but when I try and start the maemo part I just get loads of errors and no working environment.

If anyone knows of a tutorial or walkthrough that works (and preferably contains no assumptions that you know about linux), it would be really handy.

I think in the mean time I will try to install gcc on the device itself, as that seems useful, but I would really like the scratchbox thing to work.

Unless it just doesn't work in a Parallels session of fiesty ubuntu linux on MacOSX?

tabletrat
2007-08-14, 22:56
OK, After another try I was about to give up, then I thought I would file as a bug that the instructions dont work, then there was a link to somewhere else:

http://www.ptlug.org/wiki/Howto_Installing_Maemo_SDK_for_Nokia_770

Those instructions actually work and now I am up and running!

alexib
2007-08-17, 20:17
Hello All!

I have also used the instructions from the previous post and installed everything successful. But when I run applications under SDK_PC in either Xephyr or Xnest, the keyboard behaves really strange:
1) big enter button on hardware keyboard doesn't make carriage return but hides/unhides the virtual keyboard. Enter button from the NumPad works normally, but it is a bit cumbersome to use it instead of big one.
2) If I switch from Xephyr to any other application with Alt-Tab on the hardware keyboard and than back to Xephyr, the physical keyboard stops to enter letters completely. Even worse, the backspace button on the virtual keyboard stops deleting symbol by symbol but delete something like a word at once. Other buttons also behave strange. To make the things work back I have to do af-sb-init.sh stop and start it again.

Does anybody else faced with such problems? Were they discussed somewhere? I've googled a bit but with no success.

WBR,

alexib

tabletrat
2007-08-17, 22:35
But when I run applications under SDK_PC in either Xephyr or Xnest, the keyboard behaves really strange:
1) big enter button on hardware keyboard doesn't make carriage return but hides/unhides the virtual keyboard. Enter button from the NumPad works normally, but it is a bit cumbersome to use it instead of big one.

The center button on the 770 is the return key, and this is what it does, so it is the correct behaviour.

I would think it is better to test with the virtual keyboard anyway, as that is what the software has to do on the device itself.

2) If I switch from Xephyr to any other application with Alt-Tab on the hardware keyboard and than back to Xephyr, the physical keyboard stops to enter letters completely.

I know there is a keystroke to reconnect the keyboard - it is listed in the title bar. Can't remember what it is now. something like alt-ctrl.
Have you tried that?

alexib
2007-08-20, 14:08
Fantastic! Magic Alt-Ctrl really make the keyboard work again although the keystroke specified in the title bar is Ctrl-Shift (it doesn't help by the way). Thank you, tabletrat!