PDA

View Full Version : Selective data connection permissions for apps on n9 ?

joe1612
2012-06-06, 13:00
Hey, i was just wondering whether there was an app or a way to give selective permissions for apps to use the data network.
e.g: when i connect to my operator's 3G data connection, the twitter feed on my homescreen will refresh and my E-mail will be automatically downloaded which drains my available mbs. However, i need to use wazapp !
help please ?
sorry if this has already been asked..
Joe

rainisto
2012-06-06, 20:43
make custom iptables rule which blocks all outgoing connections, and allow whatsapp port 5223 or what ever port is beeing used.

Need to use commandline, and most likely all capa opensh.

http://www.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial/iptables-tutorial.html

chiappa
2012-06-07, 06:49
yep and need to have it allow all connections with wifi?

i need to configure this some day too so please share your setup here if u get this solved! thanks

qwazix
2012-06-07, 07:36
I wonder if we could better use aegis for this. Is there a way to change aegis capabilities granted to an application after installation? That would also allow us to block apps that make use of network while not absolutely necessary for their operation, with possible privacy concerns

rainisto
2012-06-07, 13:19
I wonder if we could better use aegis for this. Is there a way to change aegis capabilities granted to an application after installation? That would also allow us to block apps that make use of network while not absolutely necessary for their operation, with possible privacy concerns

Aegis does not limit network connectivity, all apps (unsinged and unknown origin) can connect to network without any capas. So answer is no.

Don't let iptables tutorials scare you. It is really easy after you get hang of it.

bnwg
2012-06-07, 14:22
Is there any way to trigger and switch between 2G and 3G base on the data flow (e.g. 50kbps)?

chiappa
2012-06-14, 11:31
Would anyone like to share their setup? thanks!