PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] full PIM support with syncevolution on N9

kermit
2012-08-04, 11:28
Thanks to the work of Patrick Ohly and Ove Kåven we have syncevolution running on N9. It syncs perfectly my calendar and contacts to onemediahub (funambol). There are more servers available, i.e. memotoo.

Unfortunately it seems to be a bit difficult to sync also tasks and notes due to some limitations of the N9.But there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Ove seems to have some ideas, but he is very busy and couldn't make everything alone.

So, here is my question to the developers here: Are you interested in a development/support of enhanced features for a full PIM support of the N9? If so, please have a look at http://lists.syncevolution.org/listinfo/syncevolution
or send a mail mailto:SyncEvolution@syncevolution.org.

A full PIM support of our N9 is my dream.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Michael

kermit
2012-08-14, 18:43
frankly speaking, I'am a little bit disappointed, nobody interested? Thanks to Ove and Patrick first results will be available soon.

Fuzzillogic
2012-08-14, 19:27
I've been using syncevolution before on the N9, with good results. But.. even if Nokia is acting like Apple and Microsoft, by NOT supporting established, open protocols (for that, Nokia, you earned the unobstructed and exclusive view of my middle finger), the N9 has Buteo built-in. With a bit of fiddling with the XML-configuration it works very well for me. It now automatically, periodically syncs agenda and contacts with my memotoo-account.

I can't say I'd prefer SE over Buteo or vice versa. As mere user, I'm interested in the results. A configuration GUI, more features (proper SMS and bookmarks syncing, like the N95(!!) had), status overview etc. would be welcome.

stuartywr
2012-08-15, 11:10
This is a report of success.

My N9 with PR 1.3 syncs calendar and tasks with memotoo. This did not work in July with PR 1.2. I've only just noticed and have not tested how robust this is but it seems fine so far.

If it proves reliable and robust I'll move to sync everything though memotoo with my N9.

kermit
2012-08-17, 20:42
And what about notes? May be I'am wrong but as far as I know notes are not supported by memotoo.

From my point of view there are 4 essentials: contacts, calendar, tasks and notes.

stuartywr
2012-08-19, 20:33
And what about notes? May be I'am wrong but as far as I know notes are not supported by memotoo.

I don't think Memotoo can support anything that SyncEvolution does not and so far SyncEvolution does not support note sync. And I don't know if the N9 OS allows for note sync anyway.

The memotoo task sync seems mostly fine. If tasks have no due date then there are odd things about the the creation and completion dates (sometimes they appear set to 1/1/1970). I'm still testing it out.

Update: the problem with creation dates seemed to be to do with syncing N9 tasks with Remember the Milk using Memotodo as intermediary. When I removed RTM sync the problem went away.

kermit
2012-09-12, 19:21
Good news today! Got a mail from Patrick, syncevolution 1.3 released today. More information at http://syncevolution.org/blogs/pohly/2012/syncevolution-13-released

It brings full support of contacts, calendar, tasks and notes for harmattan devices like the N9. Great!

Thank you very much, Patrick and Ove and every developer involved in this important project.
:)

status
==============

SyncEvolution synchronizes personal information management (PIM) data via various protocols (SyncML, CalDAV/CardDAV, ActiveSync). It syncs contacts, appointments, tasks and memos. It syncs to web services or to SyncML-capable phones via Bluetooth.

Binaries are available for Linux desktops (using GNOME Evolution, or KDE's Akonadi), for MeeGo and for Maemo (Nokia N900, N9).

The project moved its bug tracking from bugs.meego.com to bugs.freedesktop.org. All the old issues were migrated. Please file new issues here:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=SyncEvolution

The git repositories were also moved to freedesktop.org: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/SyncEvolution/

SyncEvolution 1.3
=================

New features are KDE/Akonadi and ActiveSync support, not only in the source code but also in syncevolution.org binaries. ActiveSync is the recommended way of synchronizing contacts with Google: https://syncevolution.org/wiki/google-contacts-activesync

The D-Bus server and local sync were rewritten considerably, to make the code cleaner and more robust. The CalDAV backend now also supports tasks and memos. CalDAV and CardDAV can be used in combination with a SyncML peer ("bridging SyncML and WebDAV"), thus allowing a device which only supports SyncML to talk to a WebDAV service without any intermediate storage.

1.3 contains bug fixes that were not backported to 1.2.x, so upgrading is recommended. For example, SyncEvolution 1.3 is required for Evolution 3.4, otherwise photos are not exported properly. Support for Evolution >= 3.6 is in the source code, but not in syncevolution.org binaries. Further workarounds for recent changes in Google CalDAV and Funambol One Media were added.

Fuzzillogic
2012-09-12, 20:00
Does syncevolution play together with KDE-PIM for Harmattan? (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1265028) It would make the KDE a true alternative for the native apps.

Iow: how do the native apps, (native) Buteo sync, KDE PIM and Syncevolution work together? Can they work completely separated as well?

kermit
2012-09-12, 20:26
I never tried KDE-PIM for harmattan and I have no glue how it works. I'am happy with the native apps on the N9 if I can sync all relevant data with funambol using syncevolution. There are not so much tools on the market syncing not only calendar and contacts but also tasks and notes (or memos). May be you can get more information at http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.syncevolution

RockOn_23
2012-09-23, 23:35
hey,

unfortunately I don't manage to install syncevolution 1.3.

Maybe I am to stupid to find the right .deb package. Can anyone help me?

RockOn

kermit
2012-09-25, 18:51
Normally you can find the actual deb packages under http://people.debian.org/~ovek/harmattan/. The package of SyncEvolution 1.3 is not listed (yet). I asked the developer for the new version and hope we'll get it soon. From my understanding v. 1.3 is a freeze of v. 1.2.99.4-2_armel.deb, so if you like you can try that version, it's from 09/06/2012.

As soon as I get a reply from the developer I'll post it here.

Hope that will help you. I also have still v. 1.2.2 running on my N9.

Have a nice evening.

opax
2012-09-25, 19:29
I've been using syncevolution before on the N9, with good results.

What does it means?
do you succed in syncing something eles than the default calendar?

Fuzzillogic
2012-09-25, 19:40
What does it means?
do you succed in syncing something eles than the default calendar?

Default calendar, contacts. Haven't tried other calendars, as I'm not using those. Can't remember about notes, but fwiw Buteo does sync those.

YMMV indeed.

RockOn_23
2012-09-25, 21:52
Hey kermit,

thanks for the information. I thought that was released for Harmattan but the informations on the syncevolution homepage are a little bit confusing for me.

I am really looking forward for 1.3 because notes and tasks should be supported :-)

RockOn

kermit
2012-09-26, 12:52
News from syncevolution: please have a look at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/harmattan/, version 1.3 arrived.

Thanks to the developer crew, especially Ove and Patrick, we now have a complete sync tool for calendar, contacts, tasks and notes. How many competitors have such a tool?

Let's go and start your engines;-)

Vromoth
2012-09-27, 03:40
Hmmmmm,

I have a problem, I downloaded the deb and it said that it was invalid. So instead I installed it through the terminal. That seamed to work fine. But now I can't seam to find an account in the accounts app. I installed it as root, could this be the problem?

Vromoth

Edit: This its what I get if I install through terminal without root.
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/.downloads/sync*.
deb
BUG(2): Package syncevolution: '/home/user/MyDocs/.downloads/syncevolution_1.3-1_armel.deb' != '/home/user/MyDocs/.downloads/syncevolution_1.3-1_armel(2).3-1_armel.deb'
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
aegis-installing syncevolution (from '')
accli.cpp(1449): ERROR: cannot sign '/var/lib/aegis/restok/restok.conf.new' (Operation not permitted)
Creating new signed '/var/lib/aegis/restok/restok.conf' failed

kermit
2012-09-27, 12:22
To install SyncEvolution you need to be root (devel-su / rootme).

dpkg -i filename.deb

should install SyncEvolution.

Configuration can be set up at /home/user/.config/syncevolution/

And please read as much as possible at http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync/Usage_of_syncevolution and at https://syncevolution.org/documentation/getting-started.

There will be no SyncEvolution account visible at your N9, but you can manage everything from the command line.

Vromoth
2012-09-28, 06:37
How do you uninstall it? I've been having extra battery drain since I installed it.

Edit: Ok, uninstalled it. It's not the battery drain. Time to reinstall. :D

RockOn_23
2012-09-28, 21:40
great software!

set it up with funambol and synced contacts, calendar, tasks and notes :-) I was waiting very long for solution of syncing tasks and notes :-)

I am not so familar with the terminal commands. How can I configure it to sync only tasks and notes?

Is it possible to execute terminal command/the sync by an icon?

edit: here http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4588&page=2 is a old GUI but I didn't get it working.

shinchim0
2012-09-29, 01:04
I hear that start form "nokia suite V3.5" above are support for n9.
so you guy may try it.(not sure fully support or not)

kermit
2012-09-29, 21:10
I hear that start form "nokia suite V3.5" above are support for n9.
so you guy may try it.(not sure fully support or not)

Yes, you are right, but this is only a local sync tool and completely different from any sync over the air with services like memotoo or funambol. Here we discuss only sync over the air, that's our topic. If you like, you can try it.

RockOn_23
2012-10-05, 06:45
Did somebody managed to use the GUI mentioned a few posts ago?

kermit
2012-10-07, 19:34
great software!

set it up with funambol and synced contacts, calendar, tasks and notes :-) I was waiting very long for solution of syncing tasks and notes :-)

I am not so familar with the terminal commands. How can I configure it to sync only tasks and notes?

Yes, just use on the command line: syncevolution funambol memo todo

kermit
2012-10-07, 19:39
Did somebody managed to use the GUI mentioned a few posts ago?

I tried it some months ago, it worked, but I preferred the command line tool, because you get more information about the sync process. The GUI cannot be used for any configuration. I'am not sure if it works with suncevolution 1.3.

RockOn_23
2012-10-12, 20:01
yes, I only need it for triggering the command line commands. I did not get it running under PR1.3

nbedford
2012-11-03, 13:05
After finally giving up on the N9's inbuilt caldav-plugin because it just doesn't seem to be able to handle what I'm trying to do, I thought I would give syncevolution a try.

I have read through this thread in great detail and now appear to have successfully setup a sync between my caldav server and an N9 calendar.

Maybe I have missed something along the way, but what is the best way to setup syncevloution to run at pre-defined intervals on the N9?

EDIT:

Ok, maybe I spoke too soon, although I have data on the phone, syncevolution is reporting that the first slow sync has failed.

I am trying to using a piece of software called DavMail, to expose my corporate exchange calendar as a caldav server and then syncevolution to sync that onto my phone.

Has anyone user syncevolution with DavMail's caldav implementation?

caco3
2012-11-14, 20:33
Since my tests with syncevolution 1.3 and my owncloud installation worked good, I decided to give an update to my GUI.
See http://www.ruinelli.ch/harmattan/syncevolution-gui for more information.

Let me know what you think about it.
If enought people want to use it, I might also add some adjustable settings.

kermit
2012-11-15, 21:11
Great news from caco3, thanks a l lot. I tried your tool with syncevolution 1.3+20120925+SE+0d86dc1+unclean on my N9 and got some error messages. The log had the following entries:

Peer: , sources: calendar addressbook memo todo, mode: two-way
Starting syncronisation ...
COMMAND: syncevolution --sync two-way calendar addressbook memo todo
[ERROR] no such source(s): addressbook memo todo

I use funambol as peer, but it seems that the peer is not detected. So I tried to run a sync from the command line. It runs without any issues.

btw. is it the right command? On the command line I normally use:
~ $ syncevolution funambol

Could you please help me.

Thanks in advance

caco3
2012-11-15, 21:51
It uses the default peer as defined in /home/user/.config/syncevolution/config.ini
So please set it there and test again.

kermit
2012-11-15, 23:26
Thanks, now it works.

Some wishes and ideas:
- a progress bar
- the font is a bit small
- configuration of the font-color and background
- information about how many items are stored before and after the sync, new, updated or deleted

Anyway, thank you very much for your tool, I think there are many users interested because they are not so familiar with the command line.

caco3
2012-11-18, 12:07
There is now an update which fixes an issue with finishing the two-way sync.

Thanks, now it works.

Some wishes and ideas:
- a progress bar
- the font is a bit small
- configuration of the font-color and background
- information about how many items are stored before and after the sync, new, updated or deleted

Anyway, thank you very much for your tool, I think there are many users interested because they are not so familiar with the command line.

- A progressbar seems not to be possible, unless syncevolution can provide me something. This really should come form the cli client and not the GUI..
- The font is that small, so you can see as much as possible. In normal use, you should not have to check the log at all
-The other things are IMHO nice to have. Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features... :(

As a site note:
The sync is per default very slow, because it creates a complete dump of all data.
To speed this up, run the following 2 commands once:
syncevolution --configure printChanges=false $PEER$
syncevolution --configure dumpData=false $PEER$
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.syncevolution/3258 for more information.

kermit
2012-11-18, 14:13
There is now an update which fixes an issue with finishing the two-way sync.

- A progressbar seems not to be possible, unless syncevolution can provide me something. This really should come form the cli client and not the GUI..
Yes, you are right.

- The font is that small, so you can see as much as possible. In normal use, you should not have to check the log at all.
I have another solution, I should buy some new glasses;-)

-The other things are IMHO nice to have. Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features... :(
Only 7 downloads?? Oh man, I totally agree with you.

As a site note:
The sync is per default very slow, because it creates a complete dump of all data.
To speed this up, run the following 2 commands once:
syncevolution --configure printChanges=false $PEER$
syncevolution --configure dumpData=false $PEER$
See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.mobile.syncevolution/3258 for more information.
Thanks for this hint, sounds interesting.

Fuzzillogic
2012-11-18, 15:14
The N9 is a small market, of which I reckon many users use Google services for PIM or simply no PIM at all. I myself stay clear of Google and do use SyncML, but since I've configured the built-in Buteo framework to sync with my provider I've found no reason to change anything.

I do am grateful for Syncevolution and the availability of a GUI for it :) I don't mind the occasional hacking in config files and do some command line magic, but I'd still prefer a GUI.

caco3
2012-11-18, 15:17
I do am grateful for Syncevolution and the availability of a GUI for it :) I don't mind the occasional hacking in config files and do some command line magic, but I'd still prefer a GUI.

Same for me, thats why i made the GUI.
Once teh config is set up, there are no more changes needed.
A GUI now just makes it easier to launch the sync.

Fuzzillogic
2012-11-18, 16:39
A GUI now just makes it easier to launch the sync.
I've tried syncevolution before, and indeed it worked. But I don't want to sync manually. I strongly prefer automatic sync in the background. Buteo allows for this. When I add or change something in PIM, I just know it will be on my desktop as well within a few hours and vice versa.

So for me I'd use a gui primarily to setup and configure the account, much less for initiating a sync.

caco3
2012-11-18, 21:45
For my calendar I use CalDAV from the built in support in the N9. I run the sync once a day in the night (whe I am usually at home and hove wifi connection).

For the contacts I now use syncevoltion and my GUI. Since my contacts do not change on a daily base, I do not need automatic synchronisation.
How ever, if needed, you could run it with ProfileMatic I guess.
Since my Owncloud is accessible from the Internet, I also yould access and sync it when ever I need and have a internet connection.

BTW: Is somebody using khtNotes from Kerthan with Onwcloud? I tried it but could not get it working. (See here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1295058&postcount=11)

jackburton
2012-11-19, 00:45
Up to now I only could register 7 downloads. So thats not a lot of users compared to the time I would have to invest into those features... :(

Add me as a potential user soon enough. Just got me an N950 and N9 and plan on using syncevolution for all my PIM sync needs. Will gladly donate as well.

caco3
2012-11-19, 18:46
...But I don't want to sync manually. I strongly prefer automatic sync in the background. Buteo allows for this...

What is Buteo actually doing?
Is it a plugin for the existing N9 framework?
Is there a working package available?
Or is it (up to now) just a list of requirements without a real implementation?

Fuzzillogic
2012-11-19, 22:06
What is Buteo actually doing?
Is it a plugin for the existing N9 framework?
Is there a working package available?
Or is it (up to now) just a list of requirements without a real implementation?

It's the synchronisation framework of MeeGo. The N9 has it built-in, so its very real and works quite well. I guess it's used for USB/wired synching with PC Suite or whatever todays bloatware is called. It is probably not as configurable and versatile as syncevolution though. Still it leaves one wondering why Nokia decided that a GUI for this very useful feature was less important than a crappy facebook app.

Since it's part of MeeGo I guess we might see it again in Sailfish.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81712 for more details.

caco3
2012-11-21, 21:59
Buteo seems to be great and a built in sync of course would be nicer.
How ever as far as i can see, it seems not to work with CardDAV and over Wifi/3G.
So there seems not yet to be a way around syncevolution...

Khertan
2012-11-23, 17:33
KhtNotes is now working a little regression in a previous version prevent caco3 using it :)