PDA

View Full Version : Accessing directory of EVERYTHING on 770

erica
2005-12-28, 00:18
:confused:
When I access my 770 directory through my browser (I don't have the xterm thing everyone mentions) it shows TONS of files on my 770 but I have no idea what most of them are.

Is it safe to delete any of these or no?
Can you even work with your files through browser since u can view them all this way or is that xterm app essential??

putkowski
2005-12-28, 01:26
:confused:
When I access my 770 directory through my browser (I don't have the xterm thing everyone mentions) it shows TONS of files on my 770 but I have no idea what most of them are.

Is it safe to delete any of these or no?
Can you even work with your files through browser since u can view them all this way or is that xterm app essential??

I don't know which tons of files you're seeing, but as a general rule "if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it."

Anything you can see in documents, sounds, or video clips is fair game.

If you don't know anything about linux, I can recommend www.google.com/linux (http://google.com/linux) This will tell you what a term or command means in strickly linux terms... It knows, for example that PAM is pluggable authentication module and not you brother's first wife...

The Nokia people have really stripped-down things so they will fit in the 770, so "housekeeping" could be less than productive...

Paul

erica
2005-12-28, 02:05
Thank you Paul....
i was looking in web browser...typed /usr/ in address bar.
Those are my files right?

meshsmooth
2005-12-28, 07:31
probably best to not think of them as "your files" think of them as "your nokia 770's files"
"Your files" that you are free to delete or do what ever you like are in /home/user/MyDocs everything else is part of the workings of the Linux operating system that runs on your nokia 770. fortunately you cant relay delete any files that are critical with the regular interface because it is designed to not be done easily.

Wooky
2005-12-28, 10:59
Yep, it might sound confusing. /usr is roughly (very roughly) equivalent to "Program Files" in Windows. The /home/user directory is where the user files are; even then, there seems to be some files in ones /home dir to which the N770 is very sensitive too (like .profile). Just as one wouldn't go rendomly deleting files in c:\windows, leave most of the files in your N770 alone. They' re probably needed.

erica
2005-12-29, 05:11
not going to delete....was mostly just curious.
I get a lot of "low on memory" messages.. :confused:
thank u for replies.

Wooky
2005-12-29, 16:54
The N 770 does seem to have less memory than needed. Try to not open too many programs at once; also, someone in this forum (or was in maemo-users mailing list? :confused: don' t quite remember) said the browser does leave some processes running even after closed, and it might have memory leaks too.