newsbot
2005-12-29, 04:07
Nokia and CompUSA released a press release today announcing that CompUSA
will be selling the most advanced Nokia devices. Termed as "Nokia
Experience @ CompUSA", CompUSA is now displaying and selling the Nokia N90
mobile flip phone with an integrated 2-megapixel camera Carl Zeiss lens,
the Nokia 6682 with a 1.3-megapixel camera, and of course, our most loved
Nokia 770. Two hundred CompUSA locations now carry these Nokia products,
and all other locations withh have them by Febuary, 2006.

[LINK: /content/view/157/2/] Read the full Press Release....Read the full article. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/157)

thoughtfix
2005-12-30, 00:14
My Nokia Experience at CompUSA.
CompUSA had it listed for $399
I mentioned that the CompUSA.com had the device listed at $379 and the MSRP is actually only $359. The sales drone said "That's for web orders only." I calmly corrected him by informing him that the that CompUSA.com entry for the Nokia 770 was (actually still is) listed as "pick-up only - not available online"

He goes away for a moment and comes back to inform me that he can split the difference between the MSRP (making the price $369 but only if I buy the extended warranty which will cover me for an additional year after the manufacturer warranty and cover glass breakage. The cost of the service plan? Another $39. Fine. Whatever. I'll take it. I paid and left.

After looking over the fine print and receipt, apparently they only sold me the one-year warranty (Salesman made me think it was a one-year ADDITIONAL warranty) and it does not cover screen breakage for that year - it covers a ONE TIME replacement.

Basically, CompUSA misrepresented just about everything involved in this sale. I would suggest going directly to Nokia.

thoughtfix
2005-12-30, 01:40
Okay back home - I am looking at my receipt:
Nokia 770 Internet Tablet - $369.99
TAP 1 YR REPLC $350 - $39.99
TAX - $28.86

Total- $438.84

Yeah. :(

Robette
2005-12-30, 02:47
That "Pickup only" means you buy it online (for $380), then go in and get it later that day. That's what I did.

My advice? Return everything, pay online for pick-up, and spend the extra money for a 512MB MMCmobile ($40).

But then you'd have to go for a day without the 770 and thats gonna be tough ;)

thoughtfix
2005-12-30, 03:03
Perhaps - but I think the smarmy sales drone was the worst part of the whole ordeal. I'm pretty sure that he could've matched the CompUSA.com price or even the Nokia.com price if he wanted to - but he gets more bonus points for selling the service plan.

If the service plan was actually covering it for an additional year and not a "one replacement in the first year" I'd be happy. That's what I THOUGHT I was buying. I just checked my bag, Nokia box, and receipts and received NO paperwork on the service plan prior to purchase nor was I offered any. I had to look up the details online.

Robette
2005-12-30, 04:07
Yeah i see what u mean. if the clerk had been really helpful and u paid the same price, u'd prolly be a lot happier.

michaelalanjones
2005-12-30, 05:51
Two things about CompUSA I learned the hard way:
1. Save all of your paperwork and know exactly where it is. If you ever need to use their maintenance agreements, you have to present the paper, or they will not honor it, at all. They have absolutely nothing on computer to "look it up".
2. If they ask what happened, tell them you don't know. Period.

I bought an iBook about five years ago, with a 3-year plan. The keyboard got a few drops of water dripped on it, and made the X and Z keys not work. I scrambled for the documents, and couldn't find them. I had to hassle them for a month to honor it with no paperwork, before they did. Then they asked me what happened, and I told them. I told the truth, and they said, "That is abuse - We don't cover abuse." If I would have simply said, "I dunno", they would have covered it.

Just say: "Who knows what went wrong?". That's not a lie -- it is merely a rhetorical question.

thoughtfix
2005-12-30, 17:35
Two things about CompUSA I learned the hard way:
1. Save all of your paperwork and know exactly where it is. If you ever need to use their maintenance agreements, you have to present the paper, or they will not honor it, at all. They have absolutely nothing on computer to "look it up".

Not only have I taken to keeping electronics paperwork, but I have a spot in my bedroom closet with a stack of ORIGINAL BOXES for either in-warranty items (I put the warranty expiration date on a post-it on the side of the box) or big-ticket items for resale (laptop, etc.)

With quality control what it is, it's the only way to go. Whatever happened to Six Sigma anyway?

Hedgecore
2005-12-30, 20:34
I bought mine at a CompUSA in Troy Michigan (we got the last two boxes). $379.99, $402 after taxes. Then declared it at the Canadian border like good boys, and had to pay GST (7%) and PST (8%). Around $60. Total cost was around $520 CDN.

The only negative aspect to the whole thing was the sales person talking to some cheerleader types about iPods for 10 mins while I stood there staring at the boxes. I almost got someone else to blow his comission, meh.

pdafan
2006-01-01, 15:30
Today there has been another price drop at compusa. It is now $349, go see for
yourself. I think I'll give up waiting for my nokiausa order!

pdafan
2006-01-01, 22:56
Just picked up my brand new 770 from Compusa for $349 + tax! I had to do a web
order from one store, and they called and said they were out of stock. Another local store had a couple. It rang up as $379, but when I showed the manager my web order printout, they reduced the price.

It's made in Estonia, there's a Compusa sticker on the box with "12/27/2005" on it,
and it has SW version 2.2005.45-7

I'm using a Pelican PSP screen protector for now, and while it's a little stiff and reduces sensitivity of the touchscreen, at least it's very clear and smooth.

:D

I'm cancelling my Nokiausa.com order right now - all you guys on the wait list will now get to move up one spot. (sorry - couldn't help the gloat :)

e30m3
2006-01-02, 18:02
Being as I work for the company, I'll give you guys a few pointers.

a. don't ask any questions. none of our guys know about this since they can't touch it.

b. we don't match online pricing. as mentioned before, you buy it online, then go pick it up.

c. it does cover screen breakage withing reason. what do you think one time replacement means?

d. we don't match any bodys price unless it is a "flyer type" advertisement

e. none of our sales guys our on commission or "points". they get spiffed for warranties, but on something like that, it was $1.90.

f. we keep records of all transactions that have the customer info attached. especially waranty info. the only time we cant look up a transaction is if it is cash and no info is exchanged.

g. and as of right now, my in store system shows it priced at $379.99 but online says $349.99

with that in mind, happy shopping.

thoughtfix
2006-01-02, 19:00
Being as I work for the company, I'll give you guys a few pointers.

Seeing as you work for the company - can you tell me what I can do for price matching? Doesn't CompUSA offer price matching within 30 days?

e30m3
2006-01-02, 20:35
Are you wanting them to price match the nokia website?

If so, unfortunately they won't. see item "d" in my previous post.

If I am incorrect about who you want them to price match, tell me more please.

thoughtfix
2006-01-03, 17:21
No - I was hoping they'd retroactively priice-match the CompUSA.com price. Especially after the lies they told me earlier.

e30m3
2006-01-03, 18:32
I am sorry that they did that to you. The only way to get the better price, is to return your item, and the service. Then go online, order the 770 and go in the store to pick it up. But I do suggest the replacement plan. It's better than a repair plan obviosly. And to boot, I already have a dead pixel on my unit that is only 11 days old. But I am within the 21 day return policy. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

lahontancut
2006-01-04, 16:34
If you've ever dealt with Aravato Services in Melbourne, FL then you'll be glad you bought the replacement warranty. SonyEricsson & Nokia use them for service and they recently kept my P800 for 7 weeks, then said they couldn't get the part and sent me back a damaged P800 which looked like they used a crowbar to open.

I gave up waiting for Nokia to fulfull my Nov order and bought it at CompUSA with the 1-yr replacement. Also, you don't need your paperwork if the 770 breaks as they can type in your phone number to show your warranty at any time.

shanesd
2006-01-04, 17:53
I was able to get a refund for the difference at CompUSA. If you purchased within the past month give it a try.

barake
2006-01-05, 13:22
my local compusa matched the online price a few weeks ago, and just matched the flyer price a few days ago.

Tweak
2006-01-06, 02:38
I got $10 back from my CompUSA. I bought my 770 during that 10% off sale last month when it was $400.
Took it in with the box, reciept and a print out from the web page and they did a return and buy right there, no hassles.

sequoyah70
2006-01-11, 00:25
Last friday, I saw online that a local CompUSA had "limited quantities" of the 770, but when I visited the store, none were to be found. I think the very last one sold before I arrived. One of the salesman assured me that more would arrive in two days and suggested I prepay for it to snag one at the nice price. OK, fair enough. I drop the plastic. When I call back to see if any have arrived, no one has ANY IDEA when/if more will be coming in. So now I'm paying interest on a 770 that I don't have. I would be dissapointed if they are stringing a customer along with a phony story just to keep them in the black for a few days before I get frustrated and ask for my money back. Hmm... ebay is not looking so bad now.. but that voids the warranty.

e30m3
2006-01-11, 00:38
Last friday, I saw online that a local CompUSA had "limited quantities" of the 770, but when I visited the store, none were to be found. I think the very last one sold before I arrived. One of the salesman assured me that more would arrive in two days and suggested I prepay for it to snag one at the nice price. OK, fair enough. I drop the plastic. When I call back to see if any have arrived, no one has ANY IDEA when/if more will be coming in. So now I'm paying interest on a 770 that I don't have. I would be dissapointed if they are stringing a customer along with a phony story just to keep them in the black for a few days before I get frustrated and ask for my money back. Hmm... ebay is not looking so bad now.. but that voids the warranty.

Ask them to check the stock of other stores in the area. If the other stores do have one, ask them to do a transfer request, and then cancel your prepay.

sequoyah70
2006-01-12, 18:36
Thanks e30m3! Nice to know that a helpful CompUSA empoyees is here!

I sort of followed your advice. I called another store that had the 770 in stock on the web, but here again the web site did not reflect what was in the store. However, the guy who took my call was in business sales and arranged for one to be shipped to me from the warehouse. Great! But ifor $379 not $349.. now I just have to cancel the prepay, which is difficult because often no one picks up the phone in the first store.
OK, hope this isn't too boring, but I did order a new 770 to be shipped to for arrival in 3-5 days which is currently impossible at Nokia. And of course the 770 is sold out at CompUSAs across the country.

So thanks e30m3!

Supergeek
2006-01-12, 20:58
Thanks e30m3! Nice to know that a helpful CompUSA empoyees is here!

I sort of followed your advice. I called another store that had the 770 in stock on the web, but here again the web site did not reflect what was in the store. However, the guy who took my call was in business sales and arranged for one to be shipped to me from the warehouse. Great! But ifor $379 not $349.. now I just have to cancel the prepay, which is difficult because often no one picks up the phone in the first store.
OK, hope this isn't too boring, but I did order a new 770 to be shipped to for arrival in 3-5 days which is currently impossible at Nokia. And of course the 770 is sold out at CompUSAs across the country.

So thanks e30m3!
I ordered mine last Tuesday the 3rd of January, received it this afternoon around 3pm, the 12th of January.. not bad, and that's the free shipping ;) I got lucky, I think...