PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] Prey (anti-theft) for N9/N950

student4life
2012-11-17, 07:51
I have ported client for Prey (http://preyproject.com/) anti-theft software to harmattan.

Details and wiki (no longer available):
https://projects.developer.nokia.com/meePrey
https://projects.developer.nokia.com/meePrey/wiki

Project moved to github:
https://github.com/student4life/meePrey

Download from openrepos: meeprey (https://openrepos.net/content/student4life/meeprey)

Dependencies
bash, curl, perl, python, pyside, python-qtmobility, imagemagick

Supported Modules:
Alarm, Alert, Geo, Webcam, Session

Modules not working:
Lock, secure

Tips:
for slow internet connections, first test prey with webcam module disabled in control panel

special thanks to thedead1440 for testing geo/camera modules and giving feedback during development

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 08:11
cheking it out :)

ibrakalifa
2012-11-17, 08:29
Cool, :D

thx for this, :)

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 08:38
seems the server is down

student4life
2012-11-17, 08:43
seems the server is down
which server? prey or nokia?

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 08:48
not sure, when installing it tells me it has to download extra files from dependencies, I accept then tells me the server is down or there is no network connection. Im at wifi and I do have internet, anyone else with this?

student4life
2012-11-17, 08:55
not sure, when installing it tells me it has to download extra files from dependencies, I accept then tells me the server is down or there is no network connection. Im at wifi and I do have internet, anyone else with this?

currently 'harmattan-dev.nokia.com' is down for maintenance. some of the dependencies(python,pyside,etc) cannot be fetched until it is back online. somebody(not sure who) had taken backup of the repositories

thedead1440
2012-11-17, 08:58
harmattan dev repo hasn't been mirrored yet...

However, dcastrog, if you can give the output of whatever is required, whoever has those .debs in their system can surely post it...

I have prey up and running so I can post them too but I need the exact names of what is missing as my system is usually screwed with a lot of packages :D

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 09:15
is there any way to know which repos are missing?

thedead1440
2012-11-17, 09:17
is there any way to know which repos are missing?

No no not repo missing...

Why don't you post the full output of the installation log while installing from terminal? It'll mention the dependencies required in the output...

brkn
2012-11-17, 09:40
dpkg-deb -I meeprey_0.0.3_armel.deb | grep Depends

thedead1440
2012-11-17, 10:01
Ok thanks to brkn's method above, I've got the dependencies packaged...

I don't think perl is required but I've still put it into the .zip which can be gotten from here (http://db.tt/FD0CPXGE)

You can download, extract to a folder then install the files first before installing meeprey...For example you extract to ~/MyDocs/Prey_dep/ then you open terminal and do as root:

dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/*.deb

death_jax
2012-11-17, 10:43

I don't think perl is required but I've still put it into the .zip which can be gotten from here (http://db.tt/FD0CPXGE)

You can download, extract to a folder then install the files first before installing meeprey...For example you extract to ~/MyDocs/Prey_dep/ then you open terminal and do as root:

After that, in my case, because there were others dependencies of the python-qtmobility, was also necessary to do, always as root:

apt-get install -f

to install them, and then install "again" python-qtmobility deb package, because before, without dependencies installed, it wasn't installed correctly (it wasn't installed at all).

Rabah_vip
2012-11-17, 11:15
hi guys
when i install with : apkg -i /home/user/MyDocs? meeprey_0.0.1_armmel.deb
in the home screen there are a new icon : prey_config but when i open it need a password i put the root password ( rootme ) but it close so how to remoove this ? please help

thedead1440
2012-11-17, 11:24
hi guys
in the home screen there are a new icon : prey_config but when i open it need a password i put the root password ( rootme ) but it close so how to remoove this ? please help

It means you entered the password wrongly...Check it that it's correct first...

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 21:24

im running this code, but aegis is rejecting the instalation

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 21:49
time for inception I guess? :)

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 21:54
forget inception, after running

dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/curl...*deb

evertything worked :) will try it out :)

dcastrog
2012-11-17, 22:36
wow it's awesome, just tried it and the alarm went off (muted by the pink music volume bar) and then saw the report at the site with my mugshot and location! :D this is great, I like it more than tnp

dcastrog
2012-11-18, 00:08
the lock action is not working, the bounty action works only once

student4life
2012-11-18, 01:23
hi guys

did u get it working?
if not, can you run the following command as root and paste the output here?
/opt/prey/platform/linux/config

student4life
2012-11-18, 01:28
the lock action is not working, the bounty action works only once
good to know that Prey works for you

lock action has not been implemented yet. I set my lock password some time back and forgot it :(. afraid to test that feature and risk getting locked out of my device. besides, any insight into how the default lock system works in harmattan, would be helpful to get it working in Prey.

what is 'bounty' action?

gsalone
2012-11-19, 06:54
dpkg-deb -I meeprey_0.0.3_armel.deb | grep Depends

After i run this, i get the following:

/home/user/MyDocs/Downloads # dpkg-deb -I meepr
ey_0.0.3_armel.deb | grep Depends
Depends: curl, bash, python-pyside, applauncherd-launcher, libc6 (>= 2.4), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libqt4-declarative (>= 4.7.4~git20110517),libqt4-network (>= 4.7.4~git20110517), libqt4-opengl (>= 4.7.4~git20110517), libqtcore4 (>= 4.7.4~git20110517), libqtgui4 (>= 4.7.4~git20110517), libqtm-multimedia (>= 1.2.1+193+0m6), libqtm-systeminfo (>= 1.2.1+193+0m6), libstdc++6 (>= 4.4.0)

And to me also fails to install. What am i doing wrong?

thedead1440
2012-11-19, 07:04
gsalone,

Those instructions were for me to get the dependencies sorted...Read the first post then two posts after brkn's and you'll get the picture...

gsalone
2012-11-19, 07:10

I did so but I get following:

~ # dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/P/*.deb
Aegis rejecting /home/user/MyDocs/P/*.deb: Could not open debian archive
aegis aborting dpkg -- all listed package files rejected
Compilation failed in require.

Wth???

thedead1440
2012-11-19, 07:14
I did so but I get following:

~ # dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/P/*.deb
Aegis rejecting /home/user/MyDocs/P/*.deb: Could not open debian archive

Wth???

check inside ~/MyDocs/P/ if you have .deb files inside or another folder...

gsalone
2012-11-19, 07:48
check inside ~/MyDocs/P/ if you have .deb files inside or another folder...

All is good :D

dcastrog
2012-11-19, 08:30
good to know that Prey works for you

lock action has not been implemented yet. I set my lock password some time back and forgot it :(. afraid to test that feature and risk getting locked out of my device. besides, any insight into how the default lock system works in harmattan, would be helpful to get it working in Prey.

what is 'bounty' action?

said bounty, I mean the message telling there is reward only works once, then it doesnt appear

thedead1440
2012-11-19, 08:40
said bounty, I mean the message telling there is reward only works once, then it doesnt appear

It works for me multiple times too...

Are you sure you tested it right? Try it again maybe...

student4life
2012-11-19, 16:21
it should work multiple times. did you by chance disable it on the control panel?
if not, can you post the content of /var/log/prey2.log

kainerious
2012-11-22, 23:04
Nice, work! Thanks!

panukooo
2012-11-23, 17:01
wich settings should i set? laptop-debian-sqweez? or doesnt matter?.
otherwise the video of the webcamworks? because reports only sends me on map where my device and i cant see screenshots or something

student4life
2012-11-24, 01:44
wich settings should i set? laptop-debian-sqweez? or doesnt matter?.
otherwise the video of the webcamworks? because reports only sends me on map where my device and i cant see screenshots or something

the device type/OS does not matter, it is for our convenience/reference only.
front cam photo should work, you should enable it from the control panel. If you have ur device lying face down or inside some cover, it will give black photo.
front cam video is not currently supported(issues in recording video in 'mov' format)

if you have enabled screenshot in 'session' module it wont work (you will get black image). i have not bothered fixing it, as i felt it is irrelevant for a mobile device

agadou
2012-11-27, 15:16
Hi,

i tried to install Prey on my N9, but i've few issues.

Prey on laptop shows me only a map with phone position, and an IP adress.

Secondly, i don't find a place to download Imagemagick deb file ?!

thedead1440
2012-11-27, 15:18
Hi,

i tried to install Prey on my N9, but i've few issues.

Prey on laptop shows me only a map with phone position, and an IP adress.

Secondly, i don't find a place to download Imagemagick deb file ?!

Just type apt-get install imagemagick in terminal as root and watch the magic :p

marmistrz
2012-11-27, 15:42
what about an n900 version?

agadou
2012-11-27, 16:28
Just type apt-get install imagemagick in terminal as root and watch the magic :p

Thanks thedead1440 ;) sometimes it's too easy... !

Now i have the screenshot on Prey, but i don't have the front camera pic :confused: Is there something to activate ?!

thedead1440
2012-11-27, 16:30
Thanks thedead1440 ;) sometimes it's too easy... !

Now i have the screenshot on Prey, but i don't have the front camera pic :confused: Is there something to activate ?!

You have a screenshot? There is only a front-cam pic as mentioned in the first post; maybe you have mixed it up :D

agadou
2012-11-27, 16:40
Here is the screenshot of prey rapport :

I don't have the front cam pic :confused:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2425/screenshothsx.jpg

thedead1440
2012-11-27, 16:43
student4life would need to comment on that then :D

student4life
2012-11-28, 01:47
Here is the screenshot of prey rapport :

I don't have the front cam pic :confused:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2425/screenshothsx.jpg
if the device is locked the screenshot of the lock screen will be captured, otherwise it will be a black image. not sure why this happens. might be due to aegis user permissions.
i dont think screenshot is useful for n950. if anybody thinks otherwise, i can try to fix it.

regarding webcam, have u enabled it on the control panel? if so can you post the contents of /var/log/prey2.log, with only webcam enabled on the controlpanel

student4life
2012-11-28, 01:56
what about an n900 version?

try this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87025)

if those instructions dont work. you can try to extract prey folder from the 'deb' to /opt, then search and remove all occurrences of 'aegis-exec' from the scripts inside this folder, install all dependencies, and run /opt/prey/platform/linux/prey-config.py to configure your device.
unfortunately i dont own an N900, so cant support it

brkn
2012-12-01, 18:18
Hello,

thanks for porting Prey to the N9. I installed it today and played around with it a bit. So far basically it works.

What I can't get to work are front cam screenshots and the wifi scan. I forced the screen to stay on but all i get is a black screenshot along with status bar.

Logfile: http://pastebin.com/AJiBMHvF

Any hints?

flopjoke
2012-12-01, 20:43
So I've successfully received report containing pic from front camera and location. Screenshot didn't work, even though I was using the phone and the screen wasn't locked.

Location is off by a few kms.. mostly because it used WiFi and not the GPS. Just wondering.. if it's not connected to WiFi, what happens? Does it try to use GPS? How would it be informed that it's "missing"?

If the lock device feature is implemented or can be.. this would be a perfect replacement for T&P.

Thanks a lot dude

brkn
2012-12-02, 10:11
Location is off by a few kms.. mostly because it used WiFi and not the GPS. Just wondering.. if it's not connected to WiFi, what happens? Does it try to use GPS?

I experienced that as well. GPS locates me exactly where I am however Prey does not seem to make use of it. I got three reports and all three locations differed by several kilometres.

flopjoke
2012-12-02, 11:57
^ so, the GPS location isn't sent back as an argument.. ?

student4life
2012-12-03, 11:25
What I can't get to work are front cam screenshots and the wifi scan. I forced the screen to stay on but all i get is a black screenshot along with status bar.

Logfile: http://pastebin.com/AJiBMHvF

Any hints?

from the log it seems ur camera is not accessible to prey (camera not ready error). is some other app using camera module?
if not, can you run the following command as root and check if image is captured

/opt/prey/bin/takePhoto 1 /tmp/trial.jpg

I experienced that as well. GPS locates me exactly where I am however Prey does not seem to make use of it. I got three reports and all three locations differed by several kilometres.
i'm using a python/pyside script for geolocating. I'm not specifically setting any source, and the script uses the default positioning method of the platform. It was tested using GPRS and usbNet connection and was working fine. have you disabled GPS in the settings? if not can you run the following command and verify that the lat and long coordinates printed out are correct?

/opt/prey/bin/showcoordinates

brkn
2012-12-03, 11:29
Works perfectly. Frontcam pic is taken.

Works perfectly. Coordinates are correct (GPS is enabled).

student4life
2012-12-03, 11:36
So I've successfully received report containing pic from front camera and location. Screenshot didn't work, even though I was using the phone and the screen wasn't locked.

Location is off by a few kms.. mostly because it used WiFi and not the GPS. Just wondering.. if it's not connected to WiFi, what happens? Does it try to use GPS? How would it be informed that it's "missing"?

If the lock device feature is implemented or can be.. this would be a perfect replacement for T&P.

Thanks a lot dude
Screeshot does not work, see my reply a few posts back for the reason.

for geolocation prey is not using WiFi, but the default source in QGeoPositionInfoSource (http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtmobility/qgeopositioninfosource.html) from a python script.

The device should be connected to internet either through GPRS or WiFi, for prey to work. Currently, prey periodically checks the control panel for status change using a daemon. Other methods of triggering can also be considered

Regarding locking: does anyone know how to lock the device from terminal? If that is possible, i can include implement in the next release

student4life
2012-12-03, 11:38

still both are not available/correct in the control panel report?

brkn
2012-12-03, 12:53
still both are not available/correct in the control panel report?

Partly correct.
Picture is black screen with status bar only and map position is ~ 3 kilometres offset (tried several times).

student4life
2012-12-03, 13:14
Partly correct.
Picture is black screen with status bar only and map position is ~ 3 kilometres offset (tried several times).
The picture you are seeing seems to be screenshot of ur mobile screen, and not captured from the cam. Can you check the log once again and see if the following msg appears when taking photo
id:1, error:1, errormsg:Camera not ready
if that error is still there, can you edit the script /opt/prey/bin/takePhoto and change '2000' in line 36 to 5000

to sent a report immediately, you can run following in bash as root
/opt/prey/run

regarding map position, does the log file contain the correct coordinates? can you click on map in control panel and verify the coordinates are matching with that in log file?

brkn
2012-12-03, 13:27
The picture you are seeing seems to be screenshot of ur mobile screen, and not captured from the cam. Can you check the log once again and see if the following msg appears when taking photo
id:1, error:1, errormsg:Camera not ready
if that error is still there, can you edit the script /opt/prey/bin/takePhoto and change '2000' in line 36 to 5000

to sent a report immediately, you can run following in bash as root
/opt/prey/run

regarding map position, does the log file contain the correct coordinates? can you click on map in control panel and verify the coordinates are matching with that in log file?

Running
/opt/prey/run
as root results in
~ # /opt/prey/run
netstat: invalid option -- 'p'
BusyBox v1.20.0.git (MeeGo 3:1.20-0.2+0m8) multi-call binary.

Usage: netstat [-ral] [-tuwx] [-en]

Permission denied: opening file /home/user/.omap3cam
Staring camera without viewfinder available
/opt/prey/modules/webcam/platform/linux/functions: Zeile 8: 5376 Segmentation fault $takePhoto 1 $webcam__picture

Report is sent.
+ GPS is fine now. Map and logfile coordinates are the same.
- frontcam picture not working
- wifi scan not working
- trace route not working

EDIT: changed line 36 from 2000 to 5000 and I am getting /opt/prey/modules/webcam/platform/linux/functions: /opt/prey/bin/takePhoto: /usr/bin/env: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted

student4life
2012-12-03, 13:51
Running

Report is sent.
+ GPS is fine now. Map and logfile coordinates are the same.
- frontcam picture not working
- wifi scan not working
- trace route not working

wifi scan and trace route have not been tested/fixed, so you can disable them for the time being. first priority was to get geo and cam modules working.

do you have any other camera softwares installed? my script should not be accessing /home/user/.omap3cam. so that error message is strange for me

brkn
2012-12-03, 13:54
wifi scan and trace route have not been tested/fixed, so you can disable them for the time being. first priority was to get geo and cam modules working.
Ok.

do you have any other camera softwares installed? my script should not be accessing /home/user/.omap3cam. so that error message is strange for me
Only one additional photo application: Front Camera (http://store.ovi.com/content/278543)

student4life
2012-12-03, 14:08
Only one additional photo application: Front Camera (http://store.ovi.com/content/278543)

that could be a problem.

to verify that we can try back camera. can u try replacing '1' with '0' in line 43 of the file?
/opt/prey/modules/webcam/platform/linux/functions
but i think aegis will give permission problems for modified scripts

i will try to make a package for u that uses back camera to verify this.

brkn
2012-12-03, 15:12
that could be a problem.

to verify that we can try back camera. can u try replacing '1' with '0' in line 43 of the file?
/opt/prey/modules/webcam/platform/linux/functions
but i think aegis will give permission problems for modified scripts

i will try to make a package for u that uses back camera to verify this.

Purge Front Camera. Retried. Failed.
Changed file as suggested and retried. Failed.

Staring camera without viewfinder available
/opt/prey/modules/webcam/platform/linux/functions: Zeile 8: 13131 Segmentation fault $takePhoto 0 $webcam__picture

student4life
2012-12-03, 15:28
the folder/file /home/user/.omap3cam does not exists on my n950
can you mv it to some other place and try again?

brkn
2012-12-03, 15:30
the folder/file /home/user/.omap3cam does not exists on my n950
can you mv it to some other place and try again?

/ $ ls -l /home/user/.omap3cam
ls: /home/user/.omap3cam: No such file or directory

Doesn't exist here either.

EDIT: after having found this thread/post (http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showpost.php?p=1188710&postcount=45) I read the following posts and tried using develsh as well like that develsh
bash /opt/prey/prey.sh > /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/prey.log

Worked!

brkn
2012-12-03, 15:41
By the way I installed traceroute from here (http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/armel/traceroute/download) and it works like a charm. Maybe you could bundle it with Prey?

student4life
2012-12-03, 16:44
EDIT: after having found this thread/post (http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showpost.php?p=1188710&postcount=45) I read the following posts and tried using develsh as well like that develsh
bash /opt/prey/prey.sh > /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/prey.log

Worked!

good to know it works.
anything i should do make it work on installation?
nobody else reported a problem, and it worked for me without openmode/inception on my N950. so not sure what to do.
is developer mode enabled on ur device?

regarding traceroute, i will try including it when i'm a bit more free. or maybe add it as an optional dependency and point to where to download it from

brkn
2012-12-03, 16:49
good to know it works.
anything i should do make it work on installation?
nobody else reported a problem, and it worked for me without openmode/inception on my N950. so not sure what to do.
is developer mode enabled on ur device?

regarding traceroute, i will try including it when i'm a bit more free. or maybe add it as an optional dependency and point to where to download it from

Developer mode is on yes.
Just checked out your git repository, will take a look at it later. Will post back once I have results.

flopjoke
2012-12-03, 16:57
I have Front Camera app as well, but it captures a pic for me anyway. Is it possible to make it capture pics from front AND back camera as well? Maybe the phone can be lost up-side down too. You never know.

You said Prey periodically checks the control panel for status change. How often is "periodically"? I've kept my device laying around while it was not connected to GPRS or WiFi, but it didn't try to connect, even for an hour. Maybe because WLAN scanning is switched off? It only seems to work if it's already connected.

Is it possible to force a connection through Prey? It would impact battery life, but maybe a condition can be given that if a device isn't moved from standby state for 3-4 hours or more, then force connection and check control panel to see if it's missing. If no, disconnect connection. If yes, do whatever actions it is supposed to do.

Maybe impossible, but worth a try?

brkn
2012-12-03, 17:20
I have Front Camera app as well, but it captures a pic for me anyway. Is it possible to make it capture pics from front AND back camera as well? Maybe the phone can be lost up-side down too. You never know.

You said Prey periodically checks the control panel for status change. How often is "periodically"? I've kept my device laying around while it was not connected to GPRS or WiFi, but it didn't try to connect, even for an hour. Maybe because WLAN scanning is switched off? It only seems to work if it's already connected.

Is it possible to force a connection through Prey? It would impact battery life, but maybe a condition can be given that if a device isn't moved from standby state for 3-4 hours or more, then force connection and check control panel to see if it's missing. If no, disconnect connection. If yes, do whatever actions it is supposed to do.

dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0
works for me.

student4life
2012-12-04, 05:50

the prey control panel currently supports only one cam photo per report. after discussion with thedead1440, it was decided to sent front cam photo. the scripts can be modified to sent either front or back cam snaps. another option is to take both cam snaps, and combine them into single image using imagemagick

the report frequency can be set from the control panel. when u mark it as missing

presently there is no forced autoconnect to internet. Basically i dont know how to force autoconnect, and i'm starved for time to explore how to do it. if somebody can write that script, I can use it in prey.

prey need not run periodically(default now, and the easiest way). it can also be triggered by other means(e.g SMS). To check for status and sent report, just call the below command with proper permissions and redirection for log messages
/opt/prey/prey.sh

brkn
2012-12-04, 08:35
presently there is no forced autoconnect to internet. Basically i dont know how to force autoconnect, and i'm starved for time to explore how to do it. if somebody can write that script, I can use it in prey.
You could use dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0 to connect to any saved network or add an option in config file to specify AP to connect to (name of 3g connection).

student4life
2012-12-04, 09:34
You could use dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0 to connect to any saved network or add an option in config file to specify AP to connect to (name of 3g connection).

thanks. will try to add it.
will it work for WiFi networks also?

brkn
2012-12-04, 09:35
thanks. will try to add it.
will it work for WiFi networks also?

Affirmative. I am using this in PirateBox to reconnect once I restore network.

panukooo
2012-12-05, 21:05

hey man , how you fixed the problems with the front camera photo ? and I tried to do but nothing , I modify the files (functions and takePhoto ) and I still have the problem Camera not ready

brkn
2012-12-06, 15:22
hey man , how you fixed the problems with the front camera photo ? and I tried to do but nothing , I modify the files (functions and takePhoto ) and I still have the problem Camera not ready

I did not fix it yet. It works if you use the previously posted command to manually run prey.

unoace
2012-12-15, 23:40
I tried to install the depos from page 2 and got this

http://i48.tinypic.com/ay3oeu.png

anyone help?

thedead1440
2012-12-16, 04:01
unoace,

You need to be root first (devel-su)...

unoace
2012-12-16, 06:49
unoace,

You need to be root first (devel-su)...

ok done got this now

~# dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/*.deb
Aegis rejecting /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/perl_5.10.1-16+maemo4+0m7_armel.deb: package 'perl' already installed from 'com.nokia.maemo' -- not replacing it from unknown origin
Aegis rejecting /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/python_2.6.6-3+squeeze4-1maemo2+0m6_armel.deb: package 'python' already installed from 'com.nokia.maemo' -- not replacing it from unknown origin
Aegis rejecting /home/user/MyDocs/Prey_dep/python-pyside_1.0.7-1maemo2+0m6_armel.deb: package'python-pyside' already installed from 'com.nokia.maemo' -- not replacing it from unknown origin
(Reading database ... 52864 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace bash 4.1-3+maemo6+0m6 (using .../bash_4.1-3+maemo6+0m6_armel.deb) ...
update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/share/man/man7/bash-builtins.7.gz (part of link group builtins.7.gz) doesn't exist. Removing from list of alternatives.
update-alternatives: warning: /etc/alternatives/builtins.7.gz is dangling, it will be updatedwith best choice.
The bash upgrade discovered that your /bin/sh link points to busybox.
As bash for Debian is destined to provide a working /bin/sh (pointing to
/bin/bash) your link will be overwritten by a default link.

If you don't want further upgrades to overwrite your customization, please
read /usr/share/doc/bash/README.Debian.gz for a more permanent solution.

thedead1440
2012-12-16, 06:56
it means you don't have a dependencies issue as all those packages are already present in your system ;)

unoace
2012-12-16, 07:15
Ok prey isn't working though, tried to mess with the settings in prey homepage but nothing.

thedead1440
2012-12-16, 07:44
Ok prey isn't working though, tried to mess with the settings in prey homepage but nothing.

Maybe check the prey log in /var/log? Also delete the device from the homepage and set up the device again from prey_config?

unoace
2012-12-16, 08:25
how do i check the prey log?

thedead1440
2012-12-16, 08:47
how do i check the prey log?

either /var/log/prey.log or /var/log/prey2.log

You could also post it here for student4life to help but just remove your confidential data like user, password etc from it ;)

unoace
2012-12-16, 09:40
### PREY 0.5.3 spreads its wings!
### Linux RM696 2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301 #1 PREEMPT Mon Apr 2 14:14:32 EEST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Sun Dec 16 04:33:29 EST 2012

-- Looking for connection...
-- Got network connection!
-- Checking URL...

>> Reading configuration...

-- Frequency in sync (10).

>> Reading module configuration...

-- Got instructions for system module.
++ Queueing action for system module!
-- Got instructions for webcam module.
-- Got instructions for geo module.
-- Got instructions for network module.
-- Got instructions for session module.

>> Verifying status...

-- Got status code 404!
-- HOLY GUACAMOLE!!
-- Running active report modules...

>> Running webcam module!

-- Taking a picture of the impostor...
!! Couldn't grab a picture! Please make sure your webcam is correctly configured.

>> Running geo module!

-- Trying to get list of nearby Wifi access points...
-- No wireless device detected.
-- Got it! Now lets try to get a location fix...
### getting position from GPS ###
####### #######
!! Couldn't grab lat/lng coordinates. The geocoder service may be down.

>> Running network module!

-- Getting public IP address...
++ Adding trace for network: public_ip
-- Getting private LAN IP address...
++ Adding trace for network: internal_ip
-- Getting gateway IP address...
++ Adding trace for network: gateway_ip
-- Getting MAC address, routing and Wifi info...
++ Adding trace for network: mac_address

>> Running session module!

-- Getting current logged in user name...
++ Adding trace for session: logged_user
-- Getting computer uptime and a list of running programs...
++ Adding trace for session: uptime
-- Grabbing screenshot of the running desktop...

>> Sending report!

-- Packing all gathered traces...
-- Posting data via http...
-- Report successfully saved.
-- 795 bytes uploaded in 0.701 seconds, at 1133.000 bytes/sec.
-- Dropping all traces!

-- Done! Happy hunting! :)

>> Running pending actions...

>> Running system module!

-- Creating pidfile for system's 32252...
-- Scanning current system's hardware...
-- Sending updated data...
-- Updating device info...
-- Couldn't update your device. Maybe the Control Panel is taking a bath.
-- Action system exited with status 0.
-- Removing pidfile...
-- No pending actions left. All done!

-- Cleaning up!

evujumenuk
2012-12-16, 14:20
This is pretty cool. Do you intend to post it to the Store?

thedead1440
2012-12-16, 14:23
unoace,

The log part: -- Updating device info...
-- Couldn't update your device. Maybe the Control Panel is taking a bath.

That shows unable to send the report; I would suggest purge prey_config totally from your device, delete the log file, delete the device in your Prey Control Panel and then set-up a new device...

aQUICK1
2012-12-16, 15:36
Have a look here http://preyproject.com/

unoace
2012-12-17, 00:29
Can't delete prey log using file manager

EDIT:

ok its sending me reports but i cant use the alarm or any other functions from pc.

student4life
2012-12-17, 02:50
EDIT:

ok its sending me reports but i cant use the alarm or any other functions from pc.

the following lines in your earlier post of the log file, indicated the report was being send. i was about to send a message asking you to confirm not receiving any reports

>> Sending report!

-- Posting data via http...
-- Report successfully saved.
-- 795 bytes uploaded in 0.701 seconds, at 1133.000 bytes/sec.
-- Dropping all traces!

have you enabled the alarm and alert modules?
from the previous log, only webcam, geo, network & session modules seems to be enabled

-- Got instructions for webcam module.
-- Got instructions for geo module.
-- Got instructions for network module.
-- Got instructions for session module.

geo and webcam is not working for you.

can you run following command as root(devel-su) and tell whether you get correct coordinates

also run following command to check front camera image capture

student4life
2012-12-17, 02:56
This is pretty cool. Do you intend to post it to the Store?

some people have problems with front camera image capture.
i need to get some time to add lock feature and wifi autoconnect, for prey to be really useful.
also i need to sort out the dependencies while installing from the store
once these action items are done and there are no big problems, i plan to post it in the store

unoace
2012-12-17, 07:05
the following lines in your earlier post of the log file, indicated the report was being send. i was about to send a message asking you to confirm not receiving any reports

have you enabled the alarm and alert modules?
from the previous log, only webcam, geo, network & session modules seems to be enabled

geo and webcam is not working for you.

can you run following command as root(devel-su) and tell whether you get correct coordinates

also run following command to check front camera image capture
i get this from the first command

http://i46.tinypic.com/11ajq5c.png

student4life
2012-12-17, 10:37
it means you have not installed 'python-qtmobility'

have you installed all dependencies mentioned in first page

you can as root(devel-su) run following command in a terminal and check again
apt-get install python-qtmobility

unoace
2012-12-17, 13:17
ok i installed or reinstalled each depo 1 by 1

checked lat and log and they were correct but still cant use the functions of prey

here is my front camera image capture message:

# /opt/prey/bin/takePhoto 1 /tmp/trial.jpgPermission denied: opening file /home/user/.omap3camStaring camera without viewfinder availablePermission denied: opening file /home/user/.omap3camtaking Photoid:1, error:1, errormsg:Camera not ready

and my prey 2 log:

### Linux RM696 2.6.32.54-dfl61-20121301 #1 PREEMPT Mon Apr 2 14:14:32 EEST 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Mon Dec 17 07:58:39 EST 2012

>> Registering device under account!

-- Gathering PC info...
-- Sending request to Control Panel...
-- Device succesfully added! Applying configuration...
-- All set. Assigned key is c49ewa.
-- Checking URL...

-- Frequency in sync (25).

>> Verifying status...

-- Got status code 200!
-- Nothing to worry about. :)

-- Creating pidfile for system's 4473...
-- Device updated.
-- Removing pidfile...

-- Cleaning up!

student4life
2012-12-17, 13:32
reinstalling the deps fixed your geo problem.
you seem to have the same camera problem as brkn and few others. unfortunately no fix for it yet. it is something to do with not having proper permissions.
but your other modules should be working fine. can you post the log after marking the device as missing in the control panel, and enabling alarm, alert & geo modules?

unoace
2012-12-17, 14:05

Mon Dec 17 08:57:23 EST 2012

-- Gathering PC info...
-- All set. Assigned key is 6w1wi1.
-- Checking URL...

-- Frequency in sync (25).

>> Verifying status...

-- Got status code 200!
-- Nothing to worry about. :)

-- Creating pidfile for system's 22732...
-- Device updated.
-- Removing pidfile...

-- Cleaning up!

student4life
2012-12-17, 15:37

-- Gathering PC info...
-- All set. Assigned key is 6w1wi1.
-- Checking URL...

This is strange. Prey seems to be re-registering your device and assigning new device keys. Did you by any chance delete the device from the control panel? if not can you verify the 'device_key' entry in the following file with that in the control panel(it should be 6w1wi1, as per above log)
/opt/prey/config

unoace
2012-12-17, 23:03
I guess I have it installed the alarm works but very delayed almost 10 minutes after, alert isn't working but the location reports are working but 3 are little off, and 1 is exact.

student4life
2012-12-18, 02:22
I guess I have it installed the alarm works but very delayed almost 10 minutes after, alert isn't working but the location reports are working but 3 are little off, and 1 is exact.
prey checks periodically(default 10min) the control panel for any status change. so alarm 10 min delayed is fine.
is location off by few meters or kilometers? geo location is obtained from the backend, so not much can be done there.

can you post the log with only alert module enabled? you can also run the following command from terminal and see if a dialog pops up
/opt/prey/bin/qDialog "some text"

unoace
2012-12-18, 03:29
0.4 Miles = 0.64360 Kilometers from the lastest and their all different from expect 1 thats correct
co
i ran the command and the dialog popped up

Mon Dec 17 22:20:59 EST 2012

-- Checking URL...
++ Got encrypted response! Processing...

>> Verifying status...

-- Got status code 404!
-- HOLY GUACAMOLE!!

>> Sending report!

-- No data to send. It seems you didn't activate any report modules. Skipping...

-- Cleaning up!

student4life
2012-12-18, 11:33
does the location variation given by prey match with that given by nokia maps? if so, there is nothing much that can be done. 0.5 mile variation is to be expected from GPS, especially if u r inside a building

it seems u forgot to enable the alert message in the control panel. prey client got no instruction to show it(no alert module related stuff in the log)

unoace
2012-12-19, 00:22
Ah right forgot me being inside would mess with the gps , and yes the alert message was active

here is my log from having webcam and alert active

Tue Dec 18 19:31:01 EST 2012

-- Checking URL...
++ Got encrypted response! Processing...

>> Verifying status...

-- Got status code 404!
-- HOLY GUACAMOLE!!

>> Sending report!

-- No data to send. It seems you didn't activate any report modules. Skipping...

-- Cleaning up!

student4life
2012-12-19, 03:02
are you sure the properties of right device is being set from the control panel. If a module is enabled, similar entry to below should be present in the log file
-- Got instructions for webcam module
it was present in your first log. but not present in the last few logs. are you removing some lines from the log file while posting?
may be we can take this to PM, to avoid cluttering this thread

marmistrz
2012-12-19, 05:56
This post was created to remove email notification.

Sorryp but its a forum bug, and no one fixed it for a long tine

Yeshua
2013-01-20, 17:03
Ok, I'm probably the only one who hasn't got the skills to install this thing. I have meeprey_0.0.3_armel.deb, but I don't know how to install all those depencies. I have enabled Developer Mode and I know about Terminal, devel-su and rootme. I'm not a complete idiot; I know my way around computers, but Linux is still a bit new (even though I have Lubuntu installed on an old PC of mine).

Now how do I install all the other stuff? (Or am I better of waiting for it to hit the app store?)

unoace
2013-01-21, 11:22
Yeshua follow this post

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1295221&postcount=12

sandy_locke
2013-01-22, 01:41
Sorry, didn't thought someone answered me already, so I deleted my post ^^

I had wifi disconnected on the phone, so really dumb move on my part !!!

Thanks anyway thedead1440 :)

EDIT: seems like he deleted his post also. I'll leave this one here anyway, so maybe someone will avoid that silly mistake^^

sandy_locke
2013-01-22, 02:07
Wow, sorry for double post, but this thing creeped me out: all those details of my device transfered on internet ! I realize I'm not ok with that, however trustful those people can be.

If I uninstall the app from the system menu of the n9, will it remove all unneeded dependencies and config files ? thx

student4life
2013-01-28, 11:10
Wow, sorry for double post, but this thing creeped me out: all those details of my device transfered on internet ! I realize I'm not ok with that, however trustful those people can be.

If I uninstall the app from the system menu of the n9, will it remove all unneeded dependencies and config files ? thx

Uninstalling should remove all the files installed by prey. You can double check if '/opt/prey' is deleted from the filesystem. Not sure about the dependencies though.
If you dont trust the Prey-project server people, you can operate Prey on standalone mode. In this mode you use your own server for tracking. More details and a server side app is available on the Prey website. The code is all open source and can be found here (https://github.com/prey/prey-standalone-control-panel).

I haven't tested standalone mode, as I dont have a server.

Dragoss91
2013-02-04, 05:27
Huge battery hog , drained full battery in 6 hours . In htop prey.sh was constantly on the top of processes . Now I purged it and never gonna install again any app of this kind .

zaidk9
2013-03-28, 12:39
Unable to trace installation dependencies!!!

thedead1440
2013-03-28, 12:43
Unable to trace installation dependencies!!!

Read first 3 pages...

bvaibhav
2013-04-05, 08:29
The applications installed properly but screenshot and camera capture is not working. Any help would be appreciated.

Mitrigol
2013-06-08, 14:13
Hello, do you have any plan to port this to SailfishOS?

marcocara94
2013-08-18, 08:43
news??
the project must go on!

student4life
2013-08-19, 11:28
i'm quite busy these days, trying to finish and submit my thesis. improving current release requires considerable amount of time to identify proper solutions for existing problems. Once I have submitted my thesis and relocated from my present location, I will consider improving this app.

it will be good to know how many people are using or planning to use this app for tracking their N9[50].

regarding sailfish:
this app requires access to a lot of system information, and is difficult without more information and access to hardware.
developing for N9[50] had issues because of aegis. same code worked for some devices and did not work for other devices. this might be due to different OS variants out there.
my suggestion to those interested, would be to contact Jolla team and request them for supporting Prey as their official "track and protect" app, as it is an opensource project.

marcocara94
2013-08-22, 12:57
Good.
I use prey for tracking my n9. Track and protect don't work well, i tried to send a command but t&p app doesn't work!

it will be awesome if jolla use this software as default anti theft!

let we know!

rainisto
2013-09-05, 13:29
Biggest problem in this software is the GPLv3. Software with that license cannot be included in firmware image by default. So it would need to be downloaded from store or from repositories. If it would be GPLv2 then things would be easier.

Someone should make GPLv2 version of this client or it needs a blackbox rewrite for the Sailfish.

gdelca5
2014-03-31, 23:33
The links are down,

where i can find the source/bins of meeprey ?

Thanks!

pasko
2014-04-06, 13:07
I'd suggest to download the binary package from the original web page, unzip it and read carefully the README file.
I'm planning to install it but I don't have time now.
I installed it in a regular computer and saw a few dependencies that may become a problem for Harmattan though.
Saludos y suerte :)

student4life
2014-04-12, 15:24
The links are down,

where i can find the source/bins of meeprey ?

Thanks!

The project was hosted on "nokia projects", But unfortunately they decided to pull down the service

I have uploaded the deb file to openrepos. It can be installed from there. Not sure about the availability of the dependencies

Updated the first post to reflect the changes

If anyone is interested in the source files, I can try to upload it also.

Not sure I can continue the development because of other commitments. I can assist anyone interested in continuing this work

zaidk9
2014-04-13, 09:31
Edit: This didnt worked!!!!

Need v.7.21.0 of Curl!!
I have 7.32.0

Method: Download Curl 7.21 move it to var/cache/apt/archives
go to terminal(root)
apt-get install meeprey

This is what i gonna try :D
but dont have curl 7.21

zaidk9
2014-04-14, 16:07
Curl please!

nieldk
2014-04-14, 18:10
http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.21.0.tar.gz

but you need to build it ;)

zaidk9
2014-04-15, 03:42
I dont know how to build!!
If someone have installed curl 7.21 can use n9qt to get the deb!
Please please

nieldk
2014-04-15, 17:08
I dont know how to build!!
If someone have installed curl 7.21 can use n9qt to get the deb!
Please please

Try this one, which I made, just for you :)

zaidk9
2014-04-16, 06:53
https://openrepos.net/content/zaidk9/curl-meeprey
Added on openrepos.net
now testing

zaidk9
2014-04-16, 07:17
getting this error
# apt-get install meeprey
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
curl
The following NEW packages will be installed
curl meeprey
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and16 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1,093kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,855kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 67850 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking curl (from .../archives/curl_7.21_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/curl_7.21_armel.deb (--unpack):
error setting permissions of `./usr/include/curl': Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip write error: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed in write on buffer copy for failed to write to pipe in copy: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
Selecting previously deselected package meeprey.
Unpacking meeprey (from .../meeprey_0.0.3_armel.deb) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/curl_7.21_armel.deb
aegis-NOT-installing curl (from 'com.nokia.maemo/net.openrepos.harmattan')
aegis-installing meeprey (from 'com.nokia.maemo/net.openrepos.harmattan')
Updating desktop entries... Done
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an errorcode (1)
~ #

nieldk
2014-04-16, 07:46
hmm

can you please try like this

$ devel-su (password)
# develsh
# dpkg -i curl_7.21_armel.deb
# apt-get install meeprey

Probabli wong UID/GUID on some of the files in the deb. I didnt test on device, just in scratchbox.

zaidk9
2014-04-16, 08:37
Aegis rejecting curl_7.21_armel.deb: Could notopen debian archive

nieldk
2014-04-16, 09:18
Aegis rejecting curl_7.21_armel.deb: Could notopen debian archive

You need to provide the full path to the deb file, or cd to the folder where it was downloaded

# dpkg -i /path/to/curl_7.21_armel.deb

Still, I assume with develsh priviledges

zaidk9
2014-04-16, 13:37
Same thing

nieldk
2014-04-19, 21:20
well, try this one ;)
http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases/1.2.0/repos/oss/armv7hl/packages/armv7hl/?P=*curl*

EDIT: Naw, that is only rpm's :/

student4life
2014-04-20, 22:21
try:
http://mirror.thecust.net/harmattan-dev.nokia.com/pool/harmattan/free/c/curl/curl_7.21.0-1maemo4%2b0m6_armel.deb

I have not made dependency on any particular version of curl, so I think any version of curl should work if installed before meeprey.

zaidk9
2014-04-21, 05:32
Ok It worked
Thank You nieldk and student for life
Method : https://openrepos.net/content/zaidk9/curl-meeprey

zaidk9
2014-04-21, 05:44
BTW any dev taking this awesome project?

pasko
2014-07-05, 08:05
Hi.
I'm tinkering with the scripts, and I would like to know how to get a list of nearby Wifi HotSpots.
I have tried iwconfig, iwlist and iw, but I can only get information about my own AP.
Anybody has managed to make this work?
Regards.

nieldk
2014-07-05, 09:10
Hi.
I'm tinkering with the scripts, and I would like to know how to get a list of nearby Wifi HotSpots.
I have tried iwconfig, iwlist and iw, but I can only get information about my own AP.
Anybody has managed to make this work?
Regards.

iwlist scan

pasko
2014-07-05, 10:39
Hi.
It worked!!
Thank you.
Regards.

pasko
2014-07-05, 18:57
Hi.
Unfortunately, it only works if I execute it as user/developer: after issuing a devel-su, it will only show the connected Wifi ESSID.
The problem is that meePrey is executed as root and therefore it will not show the nearby hotspots.
Any further suggestions?
Regards.

peterleinchen
2014-07-05, 20:35
?

What about
develsh
iw wlan0 scan

nieldk
2014-07-05, 21:11
Hi.
Unfortunately, it only works if I execute it as user/developer: after issuing a devel-su, it will only show the connected Wifi ESSID.
The problem is that meePrey is executed as root and therefore it will not show the nearby hotspots.
Any further suggestions?
Regards.

hm strange, here it actually works only as root

pasko
2014-07-05, 22:28
Hi.
I have a second device and it's the same.
It also works if, as 'user' I enter develsh and then the iwlist command. This is weird!!!
Is there any way to run meePrey as 'user'?
Regards.

nieldk
2014-07-06, 06:36
its because user and developer accounts dont have the permission to access network interfaces at that level, so, on N9 (and Jolla) it must run as root.
On Jolla using sudo, You could change that, so the prey.sh doesnt need to run as root (my sudo supports permission on a per app level, supporting /ets/sudoers.d) but, on N9, I dont think sudo supports that level.

peterleinchen
2014-07-06, 07:03
On my N9 it is enough to enter develsh.
I get same output with 'iw wlan0 scan' as user and as root.
Furthermore even as root I do need develsh else no permission.

'iwlist' is part of ?

pasko
2014-07-06, 08:29
its because user and developer accounts dont have the permission to access network interfaces at that level, so, on N9 (and Jolla) it must run as root.
On Jolla using sudo, You could change that, so the prey.sh doesnt need to run as root (my sudo supports permission on a per app level, supporting /ets/sudoers.d) but, on N9, I dont think sudo supports that level.

Hi.
This is what common sense says it should be. But I see the opposite.
What I am seeing in my N9 is that unprivileged users can scan all APs, and root can't.:confused:
Regards.

pasko
2014-07-16, 20:03
Hi.
Continuing withmy tests, I found that meeprey works better when executed as user.
I have tried to setup /etc/init/apps/preyd.conf to do it (using aegis-exec -c -u user .....) but it always runs as nobody.
Searching the internet I found that a manifest file must be used when compiling.... Is there a workaround for this?

Regards.

pasko
2014-07-17, 21:12
Hi.
Well, I finally found an answer to my question:
http:// 213.128.137.28/showthread.php?t=89920
Regards.

gdelca5
2014-07-18, 02:29
BTW any dev taking this awesome project?

It would be great if someone can change the entry post and add a url of the project sources.

pasko
2014-07-18, 15:38
Hi.
Sure! It would be even better if someone can compile preyd so that it is aegis-compatible. All the other files are bash and python scripts....
Regards.

student4life
2014-07-18, 22:38
Project sources are now available in github. Feel free to hack on it. Had plans to port it completely to python (with possible change in LICENSE), but lack of involvement/interest of others made me lose interest. Gradually other activities made me busy.

some comments:
it should be possible to manually run preyd as user from the command line. the downside is, it has to be started on every reboot. The decision to run preyd as root, was made on the premise that root has absolute permission on linux systems. But unfortunately it seems that harmattan somehow manages to adulterate it through aegis

frtachi
2015-01-20, 18:39
I'm getting "client outdated" error when trying to get my n9's location on prey website. Did they change something or am i doing it wrong?