PDA

View Full Version : Sony QX10/QX100 for Jolla Other Half

caa
2013-09-07, 14:41
Hi All,

Just an FYI: It looks like the Sony QX10/QX100 camera modules could theoretically be used with the Jolla device (with some effort)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/09/04/sony-reveals-dsc-qx10-and-qx100-NFC-wi-fi-connected-camera-modules-for-smartphones

There is an API available here (http://camera.developer.sony.com/pages/develop/grid/) which allows access to the remote functions of the camera modules.

Not sure if this interests anybody but thought I would post in case people were wondering about camera other-half options?

Presumably, there would need to be an app created (the android app may not work).

Also, on the hardware side the QX10/QX100 both have a mount which looks like it could plug-in to a specially created back half (presumably 3D printing is an option there).

This could be an interesting project for someone familiar with Qt development etc.

http://3.static.img-dpreview.com/files/news/8135138174/QX10_White_Right-1200.jpg?v=2471

My guess is the Jolla device will be around 68mm in width (guess based on other devices with similar screen), and these modules are 63mm so they should 'fit' the back of the Jolla.

Personally I would have preferred a module with a larger sensor and smaller prime lens but these modules are probably designed for a more mainstream audience who think optical zoom is important.

youmeego
2013-09-07, 15:34
so that means Jolla or others cannot license Pureview from Nokia?

camera other half and battery other half are the most important.

HtheB
2013-09-07, 15:54
camera other half and battery other half are the most important.
Wrong!

Hardware keyboard is the most important other half!

chenliangchen
2013-09-07, 16:42
Wrong!

Hardware keyboard is the most important other half!

Can't agree more. Lots of options for camera and camera phones on the market, but not a single one with hardware keyboard.

Rogatti
2013-09-07, 19:52
Physical keyboard vs Swype = Swype win !!!

Camera with a good zoom is very important.

Qx10/100 is a great idea !

maluka
2013-09-07, 20:41
Oh yes! Please make this happen!

zlatokosi
2013-09-07, 21:18

For you, maybe.

I still prefer to see the screen while typing.

Estel
2013-09-07, 21:20

Not really. At least, not for anything real. No, your facebook/twitter/whatsapp one-liners are not "something real". Next...

Seriously though, I don't see any reasons why HWKB and camera couldn't share same module - as long as we would really know anything about interface for OH. 'Till that, all this is a speculation gibberish.

/Estel

Rogatti
2013-09-07, 22:31
Not really. At least, not for anything real. No, your facebook/twitter/whatsapp one-liners are not "something real". Next...

/Estel

what would be something real in a world increasingly virtual ?

qwazix
2013-09-07, 23:40
scp ~/MyDocs/DCIM/201306* qwazix@play.qwazix.com:~/junephotos

^^ real

try typing this with swype

juiceme
2013-09-08, 17:04

^^ real

Exactly.
I tried swype and it is total crap, it cannot handle needed punctuation and it just kept on changing the words I typed to gibberish.
I do not understand why some people like it :(

Rogatti
2013-09-08, 18:45

^^ real

Commutes to normal keyboard and "voila".

scp ~/MyD..... "real" to an audience niche...

Physical keyboard on smartphones is a museum piece..BlackBerry paid high for not having this vision.

qwazix
2013-09-08, 19:51
so is camera button yet pressy raised $440K. Don't always trust the fad.

chenliangchen
2013-09-08, 20:25
Commutes to normal keyboard and "voila".

scp ~/MyD..... "real" to an audience niche...

Physical keyboard on smartphones is a museum piece..BlackBerry paid high for not having this vision.

BlackBerry fails for its outdated hardware (before BB10), lack of software (BB10), not HW keyboard.

All my partners on business are looking for a HW keyboard equipped device for serious typing. Sometimes while having interesting ideas, or important quick notes to save, trust me no one wants to do with swype or swiftkey.

The main reason for manufacturers not making HW keys equipped models is simply its much easier and cheaper to make touch only devices, they ignore the customers, and the customers do exist.

It is "museum piece" for iPhone fanboys who mainly use the phone to play free cheap games, definitely not for serious business users and hackers, coders..

Typed on my be-loved "museum piece" Nokia N950 with HW keyboard, doubt if I can and want to do the same with swype.

chenliangchen
2013-09-08, 20:36
Now on topic: Since the camera lens' API is open, it should be possible to use it on Harmattan and Frementle as well.

(Well, when mounted the HW keyboard can not be opened, another good reason for people believe HW keyboard is dead)

BTW I didn't consider under Nitdroid.

Rogatti
2013-09-08, 22:16
BlackBerry fails for its outdated hardware (before BB10), lack of software (BB10), not HW keyboard.

All my partners on business are looking for a HW keyboard equipped device for serious typing. Sometimes while having interesting ideas, or important quick notes to save, trust me no one wants to do with swype or swiftkey.

The main reason for manufacturers not making HW keys equipped models is simply its much easier and cheaper to make touch only devices, they ignore the customers, and the customers do exist.

It is "museum piece" for iPhone fanboys who mainly use the phone to play free cheap games, definitely not for serious business users and hackers, coders..

Typed on my be-loved "museum piece" Nokia N950 with HW keyboard, doubt if I can and want to do the same with swype.

not necessarily:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/blackberry-q10-sales-dismal/

mikecomputing
2013-09-08, 22:42
Kids time to go back to reality.... It will not happen.

chenliangchen
2013-09-08, 23:59
not necessarily:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/blackberry-q10-sales-dismal/

Did you read my post? Did I ever said BB sold well?

Anyway HW keyboard only works better with a slider, not in Q10's type.

There is enough discussion about HW keyboard, and its not related to the topic. I will stop posting this. Whatever you believe I don't care, I know there is a huge demand of QWERTY slider around me, and I'm personally looking forward to the moto droid 5 I wish it could come to reality.

Rogatti
2013-09-09, 02:33
Did you read my post?

Hardware N9/950 they are already old..cpu..camera..audio are lacking ..museums are not at all.. :)

physical keyboard it is a niche product...sells little.. the numbers prove

If I have to take note of something use a recording program, much more practical.

you took the red pill ? :D

juiceme
2013-09-09, 06:49
Hardware N9/950 they are already old..cpu..camera..audio are lacking ..museums are not at all.. :)

I do not get your point here... All the time there is new hardware, of course the HW of N9&N950 is old, the devices were introduced 2 years ago, which means the HW design must have been finalized almost 3 years ago.
Also the HW of N900 is even older, introduced 5 years ago and still people are using it and claim it's the best device ever made.

physical keyboard it is a niche product...sells little.. the numbers prove

I'd say it is not selling well because nobody makes good devices with physical keyboard any more. The models Nokia had always sold well. If there's no suppily, there cannot be any demand...
And what BlackBerry has or does not have is no concern of mine, those always were silly little niche products, available only in the USA, not in the civilized world.

If I have to take note of something use a recording program, much more practical.

People have needs you seem not to understand at all.

Estel
2013-09-09, 10:08
Physical keyboard on smartphones is a museum piece..

Rogatti, how does it feel to be a pet-customer, nicely trained by some bullsh|t marketing people?

No irony, I'm really interested - never understood this gray mass of sheep. If you're not trolling, but really believing in all those brainwash, feel free to PM me.
---

Now, as mentioned by some already - it's total off-topic in this thread, so please, shut it or bring it to PM, Don't make me call moderators to clear this mess ;)

/Estel

vi_
2013-09-09, 11:21
Rogatti, how does it feel to be a pet-customer, nicely trained by some bullsh|t marketing people?

No irony, I'm really interested - never understood this gray mass of sheep. If you're not trolling, but really believing in all those brainwash, feel free to PM me.
---

Now, as mentioned by some already - it's total off-topic in this thread, so please, shut it or bring it to PM, Don't make me call moderators to clear this mess ;)

/Estel

Sheesh Estel, no need to be a ***t.

juiceme
2014-11-13, 05:50
OMG now this is what I want on my Jolla :p

Sony announced another camera frontend to be used with mobile devices:
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

This is something else, it's a an APS-C sized stub with alpha-lensmount, and get it, the other end has a bayonetlike mount that could be connected directly to a TOH, no silly sideclipping needed :drool:

evk
2014-11-13, 07:25
How does it comunicate with the phone? WiFi I guess?

Must say that it's all seems a little less serious then I read this:
Built-in flash for bright results
Built-in flash is close to useless for good pictures. It can work as a fill in if the background is strongly lit and it's the last resort for triggering an external flash. That's it.

juiceme
2014-11-13, 08:13
How does it comunicate with the phone? WiFi I guess?

Yep, it is connected via WLAN and has an open(ish) API so should be doable with minimal effort.
I looked into it briefly when the previous versions were introduced, but as it was not that groundbreaking did not start to write anything yet.

Must say that it's all seems a little less serious then I read this:

Built-in flash is close to useless for good pictures. It can work as a fill in if the background is strongly lit and it's the last resort for triggering an external flash. That's it.

I suppose you need not use it, it'd be really strange if you could not turn off da flash...

NokiaFanatic
2014-11-13, 10:35
I like that this camera module has a Xenon flash.

chenliangchen
2014-11-13, 15:50
OMG now this is what I want on my Jolla :p

Sony announced another camera frontend to be used with mobile devices:
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-qx1-body-kit

This is something else, it's a an APS-C sized stub with alpha-lensmount, and get it, the other end has a bayonetlike mount that could be connected directly to a TOH, no silly sideclipping needed :drool:

After used QX100 with latest firmware Playmemories for a while, I'm still a bit disappointed with WiFi connection, it's still unstable, laggy and sometimes lost connection (especially if in the range of a known wlan)

Don't know why Sony doesn't make it connect with Bluetooth? Wlan is a pain...

juiceme
2014-11-13, 18:31
After used QX100 with latest firmware Playmemories for a while, I'm still a bit disappointed with WiFi connection, it's still unstable, laggy and sometimes lost connection (especially if in the range of a known wlan)

Don't know why Sony doesn't make it connect with Bluetooth? Wlan is a pain...

WLAN has lot higher bandwidth than BT. Using BT it would take ages and ages to transfer anything between the camera module and the controlling device.

If you have problems with WLAN, you can only vaguely imagine what it would be like with BT :D

chenliangchen
2014-11-13, 19:28
WLAN has lot higher bandwidth than BT. Using BT it would take ages and ages to transfer anything between the camera module and the controlling device.

If you have problems with WLAN, you can only vaguely imagine what it would be like with BT :D

You are right, but WLAN isn't perfect either, especially sometimes connected with camera the system started to check updates and connect some wifi only stuff. Meanwhile you can't receive whatsapp msgs, if I use the camera for a long time still inconvenient though.

juiceme
2014-11-14, 11:57
You are right, but WLAN isn't perfect either, especially sometimes connected with camera the system started to check updates and connect some wifi only stuff. Meanwhile you can't receive whatsapp msgs, if I use the camera for a long time still inconvenient though.

I'd imagine it should work so that when you connect your device to the camera hotspot, the camera will not send any routing-related DHCP options to your device.
If it's done correctly your 3G connection should stay up as the primary network interface and you should be able to access the net normally thru it.

heinrichM
2016-02-16, 10:56
So, what do you think. Will it ever be possible for jolla to support such other halfs extensions like the Sony QX10? I just tried to use the app with it, but it cannot connect over the WiFi ... and NFC is disabled or not configured to work for it... Are you still loyal to jolla, after it :) ?

mick3_de
2016-02-16, 12:20
So, what do you think. Will it ever be possible for jolla to support such other halfs extensions like the Sony QX10? I just tried to use the app with it, but it cannot connect over the WiFi ... and NFC is disabled or not configured to work for it... Are you still loyal to jolla, after it :) ?

Someone mentioned that he tried the QX100 with Playmemories (Android App?) and it seemed to work though not reliable:

There's nothing what prevents some developer to create a native Jolla app to remotely control a QX/QX100 (or any other compatible Sony camera) via Wifi and display/download the images to the phone. The API is pure JSON function calls over HTTP.

https://developer.sony.com/develop/cameras/

The Camera Remote API is a flexible API that builds on commonly-used protocols such as HTTP and JSON. And you can develop apps for any operating system, such as Android, iOS or Microsoft® Windows®.

If someone is interested how it works there is also Android and iOS sample source code included in the SDK.