PDA

View Full Version : Are you thinking about death?

mikecomputing
2013-11-20, 20:25
Just saw a program on sweden TV about death and how we not talk about it and take for grantet "we never die" (until someone near us die).

The TV program is a serie of programs. Last time it was about a person with cancer. This time about a young man run over pedestrian crossing and died. Also about a woman with pacemaker who is glad being alive every day...

Starts make me think about my own life for example. To much time spending on geekstuff to little social life.

I think the modern people spending to much time online and don't realise tomorrow you may be dead.

Think about it? we spending to much time fighting each other even here on TMO on different options on phone OS'es? :eek:

How crazy is that :eek:

We should spend the time on more intresting/important stuff.

endsormeans
2013-11-20, 20:50
Exactly.
Heck when you think about it...lifespan potential without calamity is 80 yrs....80 summers at best...how many summers can the average individual recall in that period of time? 50-60 ? maybe 70 at best....
80 yrs seems long....but put it in the proper context....80 summers...it seems awfully freakin short. I have packed half that time already with study, good works, family, friends, and fun...no regrets at all if I get taken out tomorrow by a steamroller :D
Considering the show you mention...I heartily suggest you look up a great film from the early to mid 80's
It was called DeathWatch
It is the future...as in... right around the corner a few years...or decades or possibly hundreds....there is still people dying...but they do it far away in some war...or tucked away in an old age home...out of societies sight. Disease and illness and cancer are curable with either operation or medication...So the population is completely out of touch with the human process....enter the big media conglomerates ....they find a middle aged person with a completely inoperable condition who WILL die. Enter Harvey Keitel great camera man who elected for surgery to have cameras implanted in his eyes...Every camera man's dream come true...what he sees IS film. So he gets to know the protagonist without her knowing she is being filmed and broadcast to a civilization starved for this kind of understanding.
A great film...won't say more than it really seems eerie that this film was done before the concept of reality television was foisted on us all.

gerbick
2013-11-20, 20:51
Do you really think that people doubt that they will die? We all will do it, it's inevitable.

In fact, think about it this way... as a programmer, digital artist, gadget lover, everything that I do relies on electricity and my participation. If I were to die, it goes away. Long forgotten. If the power goes out, the impermanence of my daily endeavors is woefully apparent.

That's why I donate time to not only less fortunate kids in assisting them with their academics, I also donate my phones/gadgets (for the most part) to battered women shelters.

But face it, this entire generation doesn't think about their mortality. Most just think about this moment only and not what may lay ahead. It's perhaps the saddest thing that I can perceive about this generation and/or society of folks that hide behind anonymous usernames and gather gadgets to fill some habit/hobby. But I digress...

Yes. I think about what legacy I will leave by interacting with people that I can affect in a positive way. And that's a lot more important than even my daily operations.

The part about how everything is impermanent that I create has never been far from my heart. I knew that when I wrote my very first program when I was a kid. Pull the plug, it's gone for a few minutes. The plug disappears (for some reason), the work disappears forever. Plant a tree today, it may grow. If it does grow, it'll be there for others in the future.

Dave999
2013-11-20, 21:01
Love Death cant live without It.

When i think about Death i mostly fantasies about ways about how I don't want to die. But true... Don't talk about it often. It will just hit you one day :mad: it's a ****ing lottery and it's not fair either.

The question bout legacy is a bit interesting why do we think that is important? The humans and earth will get destroyed at some point so isn't that only to make us feel better for the moment? Maybe it's more important when you are old?

Lumiaman
2013-11-20, 21:34
Do you really think that people doubt that they will die? We all will do it, it's inevitable.

In fact, think about it this way... as a programmer, digital artist, gadget lover, everything that I do relies on electricity and my participation. If I were to die, it goes away. Long forgotten. If the power goes out, the impermanence of my daily endeavors is woefully apparent.

That's why I donate time to not only less fortunate kids in assisting them with their academics, I also donate my phones/gadgets (for the most part) to battered women shelters.

But face it, this entire generation doesn't think about their mortality. Most just think about this moment only and not what may lay ahead. It's perhaps the saddest thing that I can perceive about this generation and/or society of folks that hide behind anonymous usernames and gather gadgets to fill some habit/hobby. But I digress...

Yes. I think about what legacy I will leave by interacting with people that I can affect in a positive way. And that's a lot more important than even my daily operations.

The part about how everything is impermanent that I create has never been far from my heart. I knew that when I wrote my very first program when I was a kid. Pull the plug, it's gone for a few minutes. The plug disappears (for some reason), the work disappears forever. Plant a tree today, it may grow. If it does grow, it'll be there for others in the future.

Very nice. Especially donating phones to battered women. I should do that with my stash of phones.

Dave999
2013-11-20, 21:54
I Will also donete mobiles to someone so you started a snowball gerbick. Good one. Is IT ok to give a way rooted Phones With moded software but every thing works?

gerbick
2013-11-20, 23:40
I doubt I'm the first person to state that they give phones to the lesser fortunate here.

Donate a phone that can (in the least) keep a charge along with the charge and that can at least call 911. In some cases, while the lesser fortunate are rebuilding their lives, they do not even have a phone to accept calls for when they apply to jobs or talk to family privately.

Ask the local shelters what they will and will not accept. I know I gave my Samsung Captivate that was rooted and had a custom ROM on it. It still could join the Google Play Store so they would have been just okay.

Akkumaru
2013-11-21, 02:12
You do not know death until you see one in front of you, in real life.

Kangal
2013-11-21, 04:17
I'm already dead...my soul has crossed into the Internet.

SOPA was an attempt to imprison me!

hardy_magnus
2013-11-21, 13:11
Y think about sumthing that we dont understand. People die and they will keep dying. You have to keep ur calm and do what u r supposed to. You guys must read "GITA" our hindus' sacred book if u r luking for some spiritual knowledge.

szopin
2013-11-23, 00:32
Pass. Death and finity(is that a word? finitness? unavoidable end to existence?) of all that is within you and around you is something you grow up with and accept. There is no 'suppression' of death thinking, just a concept you have no valid data on. It gets put in the same corner as black cat, firady the 13th, and tends to hit you on the head with family and friends, but for you it is just as virtual as remote desktop

switch-hitter
2013-11-23, 21:56
When I was a child we lived in Nairobi. I was pre-school age and we had a dog that was really my play friend during the day whilst my older siblings were at school. One day he'd escaped and taken himself for a walk. I was searching for him around the garden when, through the post and rail fence at the front of the house, I spotted him across the street. I called out his name, he turned and bounded towards me full of enthusiasm and got nailed by a car. That's my earliest memory.

I've had a friend die in a street fight, another in a motorcycle accident, another hanged herself and another along with his two brothers plus their father and uncle killed in a light plane crash into the Grand Canyon.

You can't avoid death I'm afraid. It's a regular feature of your life until your own death comes along.

bingomion
2013-11-24, 13:20
Mahh 10 chars!!!

ir.miringila
2013-11-25, 13:14
life is about going to die. just live without fear about the death.. i just fear about my n900 going into reboot loop or suddenly 404 error when i click TMO link...