PDA

View Full Version : [Forum] Restructuring, Ideas, Changes

chemist
2013-12-03, 11:31
Hello Community,

as it is getting messy again and people are complaining about "Software" being a pain as only a few thread titles reflect for what system they are.

I'd like to change settings or even structures to our needs.

What possibilities do I see:

Quick and Dirty: We can have Prefix-Presets in Software

Longhaul: Adding each and every system as base subs to software moving all threads not for more than one system away from Software baseline.

Shooting: Killing "Software" and put everything under the OSs sub

I will add CSSU to M5/Fremantle in the near future.

qwazix
2013-12-03, 11:46
quick and dirty one looks good to me

peterleinchen
2013-12-03, 13:02
I'd say quick and dirty is good enough.
But if we/you want to go the long way I would kill the software area and integrate SW under each sub OS (as this seems to be the same work as keeping software and creating OS specific sub subs).
Some kind of hen/egg problem? ;)

chemist
2014-01-13, 13:07
Added Neo900 and NeoFremantle subforums

Estel
2014-01-13, 14:07
I we're at it - is it absolutely necessary for TMO to be Sailfish center? It's a little irritating, that Sailfish threads are spamming "Active Topics" window at such rate.

It wouldn't be a problem, if user could blacklist some sections from "Active topics", using personal control panel. AFAIK, it wouldn't be trivial to achieve (fixme?)

Anyway, currently, I'm afraid that I might miss some really interesting threads, due to steady and overwhelming stream of "where is my facebook app" threads from SailfishOS, Jolla & co, and similar sections.

/Estel

panjgoori
2014-01-13, 14:53
totally agree with you Estel. Whenever i visit TMO all active topics are about Sailfish and Jolla.

Estel
2014-01-13, 15:15
The thing is, that they're, obviously, tons of active threads about things relevant to Maemo. Still, they're totally buried under "spam" from jolla sections. Of course, I understand that it's all the buzz about new device, but, I don't get why things relevant to *us* (maemo) must suffer.

Not to mention that AFAIK, Jolla isn't paying Maemo a single cent for maintaining all traffic that comes from their devices. Heck, even leaving the fact, that paths of Maemo and Jolla - while never really close - are now going into two totally different directions, with less and less common things between two communities.

I didn't liked how maemo.org was bullied into holding free adverts for Jolla. I don't like fact, that Jolla isn't helping to fund forum, that acts as communication center for Jolla devices. But, it all wouldn't be so bad, if all of the above wouldn't make it harder for me to find a *maemo* related activity, on the *maemo* org. This latter thing makes me "mad as hell, and I won't take it anymore", if you excuse the pun and obvious references.

/Estel

ggabriel
2014-01-13, 15:24
TL;DR: subscribe to topics of interest if the Active Topics section fills up with things that don't interest you.

I disagree with the maemo/meego/sailfish/etc. separation. You can always subscribe to threads/topics if the Active Topics section isn't enough. While this is maemo.org, I'm only here because of meego, and now sailfish _and_ meego, and so are other people. I see it differently: meego existed because of maemo, sailfish/mer/nemo exist because of maemo+meego.

We even have Android/iOS/Symbian discussions in this forum and it isn't bad either.

Finally, it has been expressed that talk.maemo.org wants to be part of the Sailfish community, and so it is for discussions that fit forums, and I'm very happy about that. Look at the great stuff some folks are doing with OLED other halves for Jolla or keyboards or solar panels. Everybody can learn from that.

pichlo
2014-01-13, 15:33
An option to hide (blacklist if you wish) traffic from selected sections would be welcome. I called for it when TMO was spammed with Meego posts. Now Meego posters get to taste their own medicine by being themselves spammed with Sailfish posts. Yes I know the metaphore isn't perfect. At least Meego was somehow relevant and had no other place to go, while none of that applies to Jolla and Sailfish.

Another welcome feature would be the ability to killfile a thread. Currently one can do only per member.

And lastly, I would welcome the ability to mark a thread as read straight from the list, without having to jump to the last post and then back to the list. While not completely equivalent, it could be used as a poor man's "thread killfile" substitute.

Is any of that doable?

EDIT: ggabriel, no one is asking to kick Meego or Saifish users out of this forum. I also like to peek at the other sections from time to time. But I do not like having them waved in front of my face. All Estel and I ask is an option to set our personal preferences of how we want to read the forum.

caprico
2014-01-13, 15:42
It's true that some very interesting threads get almost due to the Sailfish popularity. But isn't it amazing that talk.maemo is so popular - whether it's Maemo, Harmattan or Sailfish OS. I think that's fantastic and there's no other place like this. A healthy forum needs (in my opinion) different kinds of writer, content and discussion.

I see the problem in the structure of the forum. There already were problems when MeeGo Harmattan came up and/or some Maemo users didn't agree that Harmattan threads should be posted in the main forum.

Why not a structure more similar to http://forum.xda-developers.com? So that discussions about apps, ideas, issues, hacks etc. take place in the right subforum and therefore only about the related platform? Finally all platforms mentioned here are somewhat related to Maemo and should have a right to exist in that forum.

(oh and BTW - I'm not criticizing as I appreciate this community a lot. But those are my suggestions ;) )

javispedro
2014-01-13, 16:45
Not to mention that AFAIK, Jolla isn't paying Maemo a single cent for maintaining all traffic that comes from their devices.
Well I at least have made made a few donations (my donation for this year to the foundation is still due though). And I suspect that a lot of now Sailfish users also have.

You are navigating dangerous waters with this line of thought....

peterleinchen
2014-01-13, 17:07
Just my personal 0.02:
I agree with pichlo and javispedro.
I do like the sailfish discussions here (cross-reading a few interesting ones) and believe we should accept them. Maybe they are our future, maybe not. But who cares, these discussions are held by a lot of our Maemo/MeeGo users and also new ones. We can learn from each other. At least accept each other.

But also thanks to Estel for bringing this up. I already thought of a similar request, but wouldnt call it 'spamming' (even written in '' ;)).
An option to blacklist some forums on Active Topic list would be appreciated.

--
and we should see that this is also only a temporary situation until Sailfish has settled (okay, make take some time :)).

pichlo
2014-01-13, 17:18
Well I at least have made made a few donations (my donation for this year to the foundation is still due though). And I suspect that a lot of now Sailfish users also have.

You are navigating dangerous waters with this line of thought....

I think he meant Jolla the company, not Jolla users. TMO was at the beginning sponsored by Nokia, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that Jolla might contribute to a forum on which their devices cause >70% of daily traffic. I don't see anything contentious in that Estel's sentence.

ggabriel
2014-01-13, 17:20
I think he meant Jolla the company, not Jolla users. TMO was at the beginning sponsored by Nokia, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that Jolla might contribute to a forum on which their devices cause >70% of daily traffic. I don't see anything contentious in that Estel's sentence.

...and this is a dangerous place to go, because to some it may sound like "Jolla: pay or get out", and I don't think that Google/Samsung/Apple/Intel are paying despite the fact that there are a few dedicated Android/Tizen/etc. threads not to mention all the comparisons that are made (for better or worse) with their products.

I think Jolla _can_ contribute if they want, the same as everybody else.

Nokia used to maintain and own this site, yes, but I don't think it's fair to ask Jolla to conribute without ownership in the way that Nokia used to have it. Not sure they'd want to do it. There is a thread where TMO and Jolla discuss involvement, and TMO's wish is to remain owned by the community. Or have I misunderstood?

Dave999
2014-01-13, 17:48
1. Shooting: Killing "Software" and put everything under the OSs sub

2. I want subs in off topic.
- Off-Topic
- More Off-Topic
- Truly Off-Topic

3 - A Tizen Sub under alternatives

Estel
2014-01-13, 18:18
First of all, no bad blood against Jolla users. I'm also cross-reading few Jolla threads, BTW. The problem is, as pichlo mentioned that...

TL;DR: subscribe to topics of interest if the Active Topics section fills up with things that don't interest you.

...I can't, as I wont even *know* about existence of those topics of interest, because they're spammed-out by bulkhead of Jollas-related activity in "Active Topics!".

I don't know for others, but after years of using this forum, "Active Topics" is for me a (main) way of discovering new, interesting threads that are created.

...and this is a dangerous place to go, because to some it may sound like "Jolla: pay or get out", and I don't think that Google/Samsung/Apple/Intel are paying despite the fact that there are a few dedicated Android/Tizen/etc. threads not to mention all the comparisons that are made (for better or worse) with their products.

Still, those "other companies" doesn't have a dedicated sub-forums and, generally, such "systematic" support from forum and its staff. I think, indeed, that it is not unreasonable to expect them to contribute financially.

But, all of the above becomes moot, as soon as we're given tools to...

An option to hide (blacklist if you wish) traffic from selected sections

Then, if TMO management doesn't see need to get contribution from Jolla and likes being their customer's center for free, who I am to oppose? As long as they allow "proper" Maemo content to breathe.

I don't mind dog-loving guests in our cat-lovers public house. If there are empty rooms they could use - that's great. But, if their dogs starts to chase our cats, and I need to run around the place to even find them, I'm starting to get pissed off. Hospitality shouldn't make normal living so problematic for hosts, should it?

If, on the other hand there are difficulties about creating technical possibilities for hosts and long-time guests to coexistent without problems, then, maybe, inviting guests so early isn't that good idea, after all?
---

This is all my post is (and was) about. A food for thoughts.

/Estel

chemist
2014-01-13, 18:27
There are people active on those threads who joined back in Nxxx times and I am not talking about N900 or N950.
Added subsub-forum TOH to clean Jolla sub-forum.

And sorry I cannot make the forumsoftware change in anyway you'd like atm. I will have a look for improvements you'd like but we can be glad to get security updates for it at all...

pichlo
2014-01-13, 18:56
2. I want subs in off topic.
- Off-Topic
- More Off-Topic
- Truly Off-Topic

We need way more than three levels of off-topic to accommodate for Dave's valuable posts. Plus an automatic filter to put them straight to the highest level ;)

I actually happen to agree with points 1 and 3.

shadowjk
2014-01-14, 16:40
I thought tmo, before it was renamed from itt to tmo, was privately or donation-funded.

The "spam" issue happened also when N900 came out, btw. IIRC, it was far worse back then...

Estel
2014-01-14, 22:05
Well, I don't exactly see how ITT comparison is relevant to TMO, financed by Maemo people. Even leaving aside fact, that ITT times, alongside it's founder, are hardly the kind of things I would like to see re-introducing.

Also, there is problem of "spam" vs spam. If Neo900 gets released and spark huge activity, that's OK, even though I'm broke enough to not being able to buy it, as for now. Neo900 is, well, relevant to Maemo. When such "spam" occurs from some 3th party product, totally unrelated to Maemo (think something about Tizen level of being related, or Android, just for being somewhat related to Linux kernel), which got own forum section and corresponds to ~70% of daily traffic here (numbers made up, based on totally subjective observations), then something seems to be wrong.

BUT, when in addition to it, it makes browsing *relevant* content related to Maemo harder, then, well... Cat can be Alive, Dead, or Bloody Furious, and it's the third stage we're facing now.

/Estel

// Edit

All of this seems to be moot anyway, as we were clearly told to be happy, that forum is working at all. Well, lets eat the bullet, then.

mr_pingu
2014-01-14, 22:50
IMO THE only thing that's need to e changed is the whope software forum. right now it has everything of all versions of maemo, meego and Jolla. We should have applications per OS sorted. This is the only thing I think is needed to do (and dissecting that section).

shadowjk
2014-01-16, 10:43
Yeah, the all-os forums are a bit annoying, though some apps are maintained cross platform

mr_pingu
2014-01-16, 10:50
Yeah, the all-os forums are a bit annoying, though some apps are maintained cross platform

Can't these threads be symlinked, so they appear in all appropiate sections. I have seen forum software which could do that, the actual thread in more than one subforum.

sulu
2014-01-26, 18:30
Not related to what has been discussed in this thread, but it fits the title:

I'd like to have a sane default post date format.
By "sane" I mean big endian (dd-mm-yyyy) or little endian (yyyy-mm-dd), not middle endian (mm-dd-yyyy).
By "default" I mean what I see when I'm not logged in. I don't like to be logged in all the time and both middle endian as well as context-sensitive format changes confuse me.

pichlo
2014-01-26, 18:35
^^^ Yes! And a sane default time zone too. GMT would do nicely, but I may be biased :)

sixwheeledbeast
2014-01-26, 21:57
^^^ Yes! And a sane default time zone too. GMT would do nicely, but I may be biased :)

Well the forum was originally hosted in the US so this is why the date and timezone is like that.

Maybe this is an appropriate thread.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89503

peterleinchen
2014-01-26, 22:41
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89503[/url]
Then it shouldn't be a big deal to switch to generic and on all parts of world non-possible-to-misinterpret date format. Time should be of course UTC/GMT (in general).

Estel
2014-01-27, 00:24
I'm wondering if Council (is there even such thing in Maemo?), Board (same thing) or any other Entitled Entity (tm) is going to do Anything (tm again) to implement at least some of requests?

Before one well known rager starts trolling me - NO, by "anything" i don't mean coding it by Entity, or some magic "poof!" to meet my "demands". I merely mean some kind of activity, that one would expect from Council, Board, or whatsthehell Entity - like, actively seeking knowledgeable volunteers that could do the work (creating thread with announcement that individuals with certain skills are needed, stating that as topic for Maemo's IRC etc).

Current approach of "let's not search for volunteers, they should find us and bring their ideas themselves, asking us to kindly provide access" doesn't seem to be very effective, to say at least. Not to mention that some activity by Entity in *any* matter would be great, too - Currently, guy like me is genuinely (without any irony) unaware if any "governing" body ever exist for Maemo. If I would be forced to bet now, I would say "no", as I haven't seen any action from their side, since "fundraiser cellar on fire" or something like that.

Cheers,
/Estel

chemist
2014-08-28, 10:36
Then it shouldn't be a big deal to switch to generic and on all parts of world non-possible-to-misinterpret date format. Time should be of course UTC/GMT (in general).

Updated to GMT (without DST so it is UTC actually) - date format is now extended ISO yyyy-mm-dd with time in 24h HH:mm

Halftux
2016-01-12, 15:08
I would like to see on the profile page a list which you can self maintain and list own projects or important contributions made to the community and linking to the thread/post.
I know you can look into the thread starters but sometimes you not startet the thread and made only an important post.

Or maybe a link to a users wiki page where you can list everything.

What you think?

chemist
2016-02-03, 09:22
Hey Folks, as SFOS is getting some thrive again, I am thinking about possible solutions for Software and Devices categories. System does not require a new solution as SFOS will usually be the same on all devices (at least that was their goal once). So please, any ideas are welcome!

mrsellout
2016-08-11, 16:18
As a way to combat the spammers, is it possible to restrict new accounts from posting links until they've made 5 posts?

gerbick
2016-08-11, 18:15
As a way to combat the spammers, is it possible to restrict new accounts from posting links until they've made 5 posts?

I fully appreciate and support this; only if it means that the One-Click Ban stuff will allow the few of us that have that power still to kill off those folks too but safeguard the longer standing members.

mp107
2016-08-11, 18:25
Or maybe block creating new threads as a first post (for users with 0 posts).
There is a "Hello" thread here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28834&page=198) so every non-bot can type that first post right there.

juiceme
2016-08-12, 03:43
There is a "Hello" thread here (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28834&page=198) so every non-bot can type that first post right there.

That's an ingenious solution!

Really nice idea but could be technically difficult to implement in the forum framework.
If it is possible, it could be then widely advertised on the forum so that all new members could easily find the information.

thedead1440
2016-08-12, 03:48

IIRC, those posting links weren't bots but actual people so they could very well go spam the hello thread then create new threads.

I think the restriction as proposed by mrsellout combined with our one touch ban should be sufficient.