PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Bash commands

michdeskunk
2013-12-16, 21:26
The shell of Sailfish is different from Harmattan's shell
and i noted that a command like 'copy' in sailfish does not found... :(

which way to use it???
i think i should change bash... but i admit i never use bash 3.2 before now!

shmerl
2013-12-16, 22:20
The old bash is indeed irritating, I hope Jolla will address this problem (it's really inside Mer). For copying there is cp command though, it's the same across all Unix/Linux systems.

javispedro
2013-12-16, 23:18
Since there is a GPLv3-hate decision behind this, I doubt it....

shmerl
2013-12-16, 23:32
@javispedro: It's not that Mer hates GPLv3. They just want to be friendly for GPLv3 paranoid vendors. But that doesn't mean that they need to be unfriendly for those who aren't paranoid. It's not an either or situation really. They can have two sets of packages. Stalled ones for GPLv3 paranoiacs, and up to date ones for everyone else. They can be for example installed with some metapackage. It could be feasible, if only Mer devs cared enough about it.

Jolla themselves for example shouldn't be scared of GPLv3 probably.

javispedro
2013-12-16, 23:43
@javispedro: It's not that Mer hates GPLv3.

Well, actually... yes. I'm sorry but I still remember the "old" Mer, where GPLv3 was clearly embraced and tivoization even explictly prohibited (iiirc).

I feel as alone as if everyone had suddenly voted for the conservative party except for me.
Although it's a bad analogy as I never actually voted...

Additionally, since Jolla has licensing Sailfish to very-evil companies in mind, I do not expect any "GPLv3 huggy-feely sessions" soon.

shmerl
2013-12-16, 23:48
If Jolla has in mind licensing to who knows where, then yes, they probably want to have an option of using GPLv2 packages for some core components. But again, why should it prevent them from offering GPLv3 variant for those who aren't scared? It's annoying that potential GPLv3 paranoiacs (Sailfish vendors) are influencing the up to date status of these packages.

MartinK
2013-12-17, 00:17
But again, why should it prevent them from offering GPLv3 variant for those who aren't scared? It's annoying that potential GPLv3 paranoiacs (Sailfish vendors) are influencing the up to date status of these packages. I would guess its mostly about manpower. There aren't that many people working on Mer and I would expect them to be already pretty overworked. So maintaining a double set of core system packages might be a but too much for them at the moment.

On the other hand, Mer is an open project and I would guess if there were people interested in maintaining a GPLv3 & more up to date "overlay" for those problematic outdated & GPLv2 packages, they might be welcome in the project. :)

Well, I would say even just making a list of the outdated GPLv3 packages & updated GPLv3 alternatives would be a good start. :) Next step could be an OBS project based on "regular" Mer with updated packages and so forth. :)

mced
2013-12-17, 05:41
What are the main differences between "Bash GPLv2" and "Bash GPLv3"? Thanks.

shmerl
2013-12-17, 07:09
Bash changed the license at some point, so the newest Bash (4.2) is GPLv3. And Mer is using the old version (3.2.51) which is GPLv2.

About differences check: http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/bash4

solbrit
2014-01-27, 15:36
How can you disable/enable audio and vibration from command line on a Jolla device?

solbrit
2014-01-28, 11:40
Nevermind, just found out it's just like on the N900/N9...

droll
2014-02-08, 07:24
how do you vibrate the phone from the command line?