PDA

View Full Version : upload files to my phone (linux)

stark
2013-12-17, 15:46
Hello

A proud new owner of an "other half" here..

When I plug the device in I see some mumbo jumbo about it being registered with mass storage in my dmesg, woot I thought (having never been much of an MTP fan)

I'm on Mint 15 (based off ubuntu 13.10 or 13.04, unsure) here..
I'm able to see the device and mount its with the default filemanager (interestingly it has an icon suggesting that my system thinks its a camera? this isn't using on of those weird camera protocols is it?)

OK so nemo can browse the filesystem, hooray I thought .. after trying dropping a new file.. Error
..after trying to make a new folder.. error.. heck errors everywhere

I replug/mount it and notice the new directories and files in the TLD... Can anyone give me a pro-tip on how this communicates?

this harkens me back to early days of droid when switched to MTP (I suffered for over 6 months before discovering go-mtpfs)

Is this lovely linux based phone is only designed to work with windows? Am I going to have to run a virtualbox just to put music on here now?

Even go-mtpfs is spitting out shedloads of errors.. can anyone tell me how they mount theirs or am I missing something obvious like an option to use usb mass storage?

wred_e
2013-12-17, 15:56
Not really an expert in this area but I added my phone as remote server (smtp/ssh) through gnome filemanager. Nice when I don't have to plug the phone :D But I have too had some troubles whith mtp and usb..

pycage
2013-12-17, 18:24
I connected the Jolla to an old netbook running Ubuntu 13.10 (32 bit) today and it immediately showed up as "Sailfish" and I could browse the home directory.

pir
2013-12-17, 18:40
I connected the Jolla to an old netbook running Ubuntu 13.10 (32 bit) today and it immediately showed up as "Sailfish" and I could browse the home directory.

I had the same experience on Fedora 19 today.

SSH could also work :)

maluka
2013-12-17, 19:48
I have the same problem on Ubuntu 13.10 (64bit). It shows up as a media player but I'm unable to play anything from it of course. It also shows up as Sailfish but I'm unable to browse the home directory.

att
2013-12-17, 19:58
I had the same experience on Fedora 19 today.

SSH could also work :)

Hmm, Fedora 19 with Jolla doesn't work for me out-of-box.

I use simple-mtpfs to access Jolla.

mattaustin
2013-12-17, 21:47
If you have enabled developer mode, and set a password, you can connect to your Jolla using sftp (ssh) in Nautilus:

In Nautilus, press Ctrl+L to switch to location bar.
Enter "sftp://nemo@x.x.x.x/home/nemo/", using the IP address of the device and press enter.

juiceme
2013-12-18, 06:52
If you have enabled developer mode, and set a password, you can connect to your Jolla using sftp (ssh) in Nautilus:

In Nautilus, press Ctrl+L to switch to location bar.
Enter "sftp://nemo@x.x.x.x/home/nemo/", using the IP address of the device and press enter.

I use pretty much only network protocols to access my devices, both N9 and Jolla. Just one reason among mny is that it is independent on whether I am connecting via IP/USB or via WLAN.

(Most of the time the device is in my pocket or somewhere on a tabletop in my house while I am doing that, it is an extra hazzle to find the device and connect it to an USB tether just for access... and I'd feel really hindered if there were multiple phones hanging off USB cables of my laptop... :D)

mced
2013-12-24, 16:44
Same problem, using KDE 4.8.4. 'Device Notifier" thinks Jolla is a camera. I can browse Home directory, but cannot copy/paste files.

Of course, I can do that through WLAN, but moving/copying large files wirelessly is a pain.

mced
2013-12-24, 17:50
Found a good guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

(Debian, and probably Ubuntu and Mint, needs not only 'libmtp' but also 'mtp-tools' package)

Makeclick
2013-12-28, 10:20

So it is only x64 problem.. :( nice again.. i have 13.10 x64 and newest libmtp + others.. no luck

gMTP (simple mtp tool) working somehow, but it's not that good..