PDA

View Full Version : Spare battery for Jolla

xkkkx
2013-12-31, 13:11
Does anyone know where to get a spare battery for Jolla? I already tried to google around but haven't found any...:(

rainisto
2013-12-31, 13:14
Does anyone know where to get a spare battery for Jolla? I already tried to google around but haven't found any...:(

Currently nowhere, in future hopefully those will be available in webshop.

Dave999
2013-12-31, 13:17
Get an external battery/charger?

xkkkx
2013-12-31, 13:22
I already have one but I'd just like to have one spare battery :)

youmeego
2014-01-01, 01:11
i would like to get a spare battery too

hana
2014-01-01, 13:46
I made a product request to DealExtreme but they haven't answered yet :D

biatch0
2014-01-01, 13:48
Well, seeing as Jolla themselves don't have any accessories available (I've asked for TOH/battery)... I doubt that anywhere else online/offline have them :rolleyes:

minimos
2014-01-01, 14:14
The battery included with the Jolla is labeled as "Manufacturer: NLT ELECTRONICS" and "Model 22B50".
You may try to contact e.g. some Taobao agent and see if they can find it for you.

xkkkx
2014-01-01, 15:27
it's not that urgent, if it will be available in Jolla store, I just wait...:cool:

Dave999
2014-01-01, 15:32
it's not that urgent, if it will be available in Jolla store, I just wait...:cool:

I think it will be available in jStore soon. If jolla battery is like the rest of the batteries it will be swollen pretty fast if you push it.

youmeego
2014-01-02, 16:38
Mugen battery for jolla will be welcomed

smatkovi
2014-01-03, 19:29
yes i also want a mugen power jolla battery :)

smatkovi
2014-01-03, 19:35
i read here that its hardware is similar to sgs4 http://www.jollausers.com/2013/10/talktime/ so i thought maybe the battery is the same, but i saw on mugen power that it's only almost the same, it has almost the same shape, but the jolla battery has 3 instead of 4 pins...

jameson
2014-01-11, 05:35
i read here that its hardware is similar to sgs4 http://www.jollausers.com/2013/10/talktime/ so i thought maybe the battery is the same, but i saw on mugen power that it's only almost the same, it has almost the same shape, but the jolla battery has 3 instead of 4 pins...
The battery has exactly the same width and height as SGS3 but is slightly thinner, and has 3 contacts (I guess the fourth contact on the SGS3 is for NFC), which are closer to the edge on the Jolla than on the SGS3.

richardski
2014-01-12, 08:56
In the meantime the life of Lithium batteries is greatly extended by not letting then deeply discharge or get overly warm or cold.

Even in storage out of a device the internal safety circuit draws current to monitor the battery voltage which causes self discharge and if the voltage drops below the safe point then for safety the battery is terminated and cannot be recharged. So just don't leave them lying around or in devices, which nowadays do not seem to have a physical on/off switch so always draw current, and recharge them at least two or three times a year if they are not in a daily use cycle.

That Jolla has a user replaceable battery is a brilliant Unique Selling Point and a great feature for those who like to visit remote places.

Also remove the battery and neither the MNO or state security will know where you are until you repower your phone:)

Richard

F2thaK
2014-01-12, 09:07
Actually L-ion batteries should be charged at least every 3 months, I have an LED torch that the instructions say to charge whenever not in use.

richardski
2014-01-13, 00:07
Actually L-ion batteries should be charged at least every 3 months, I have an LED torch that the instructions say to charge whenever not in use.

Setting a 3 month reminder in the Calendar for recharging Lithium batteries would be good. Max life is obtained if residual discharge capacity does not go below 75 to 80%.

Richard

iggy
2014-08-14, 14:28
Hi,

I damaged my battery. I was just to supid to put the battery in a right way into the phone. The strip of plastic where the contacts are broke.

I tried to get a spare battery via Jolla Support.

They replied that It is not possible to buy one. I have to
send the phone now to Jolla via a "out of warranty repair" to get
a new battery :mad:

hope they will change this policy soon.

iggy...

Fellfrosch
2014-08-14, 14:40

iggy...

That's ridiculous I can't understand why they don't offer spare batteries. Sending the whole device in because of a broken battery is miserably wrong :eek::mad:

Casanunda
2014-08-14, 16:17
That's ridiculous I can't understand why they don't offer spare batteries. Sending the whole device in because of a broken battery is miserably wrong :eek::mad:

Especially for a phone which is advertised as having a user-replacable battery.

nieldk
2014-08-14, 16:37
Hi,

I damaged my battery. I was just to supid to put the battery in a right way into the phone. The strip of plastic where the contacts are broke.

I tried to get a spare battery via Jolla Support.

hope they will change this policy soon.

iggy...

gotta be kiddin' ?
how can they seriously expect anyone to even slightly accept that.
I dont think that company will survive the end of this year with their history of support

nieldk
2014-08-18, 13:34
So, after a small conversation on twitter:
1. Jolla could sell spare batteries
2. They dont want to, to with-hold batteries for repairs
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)

aegis
2014-08-18, 13:55
Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk (http://www.bumm.de/produkte/e-werk-usb-werk/usb-werk.html). These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.

nieldk
2014-08-18, 13:58
Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk (http://www.bumm.de/produkte/e-werk-usb-werk/usb-werk.html). These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.

Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1436125#post1436125

jalyst
2014-08-18, 14:32
So, after a small conversation on twitter:
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)

I do hope you've got all that 100% correct.
To me it's a bit unclear what you're saying (in it's entirety).
What epic #FAIL, so disappointed... :(

jalyst
2014-08-18, 14:49
Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1436125#post1436125

Very sorry to hear that dude... :(

juiceme
2014-08-18, 15:03

Now this is pretty strange I admit. I'd like to order a spare battery, "just in case" even as my original battery is in good shape.

What's the real benefit on having a removable battery if there's no way to get replacements, huh?

Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?

jalyst
2014-08-18, 15:06
The other points he raised were also (somewhat) confounding to me.
As I understood them at least...

Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?

One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...

juiceme
2014-08-18, 15:30
One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...

The transportation requirements only concern private persons, there are different rules for companies.
There exist tens of companies that I know of, which you can mail-order either single li-ion cells or compound batteries meant for consumer devices...

Fellfrosch
2014-08-18, 16:02
If they really just don't want to sell batteries. I'm completely confused.:eek::confused:
That would be a worst case scenario. That would mean Jolla have cheated us:mad:. I don't want to believe that:(. A replaceable battery is one of the essentials for me for EVERY battery driven device! If i can't get a spare battery that will be a deal breaker for any future Jolla products. To be honest if there will be no battery in the store in the next two or three month i will loose my belief in "be unlike".

nieldk
2014-08-18, 16:03
Here is what was said regarding the battery issue, as usual from an individual in Jolla, not JollaHQ
Big thanks though to Stefano for finding the answer.
Of course, seeing my tweets with Stefano made JollaHQ twit an answer, days after I brought it up, asking directly including them.

Fellfrosch
2014-08-18, 16:18
For me that sounds more like:
We have not enough batteries and we need them for our repair centres.
Anyway if that is really the case. They should tell us a fixed date when we can order spare batteries. It shouldn't be so difficult to produce enough batteries.

nodevel
2014-08-18, 16:19
People should really chill.

One is selling his device, another is talking about cheating and losing belief...

There is no official statement about this issue. Just wait for the statement and then judge. Screen protectors are also an important thing that should be available right after the release so the screen does not get scratched in the meanwhile, yet it appeared in the store just today (8months after the release).

There's no reason why they should oppose selling batteries -it's an additional income. What I'm getting from Stefano's answer is that they will eventually sell it, they just don't have enough stock right now to be able to both sell batteries and having enough for warranty repairs.

I just don't get why people think Jolla has intentions to cheat them. This feeling usually lasts until someone from Jolla explains it, then there're few days (weeks) of quiet before someone shouts "they are actively trying to screw us" and everything starts again. It reminds me of unhealthy relationships :)

nieldk
2014-08-18, 16:23
People should really chill.

One is selling his device, another is talking about cheating and losing belief...

There is no official statement about this issue. Just wait for the statement and then judge. Screen protectors are also an important thing that should be available right after the release so the screen does not get scratched in the meanwhile. Yet it appeared in the store just today (8months after the release).

There's no reason why they should oppose selling batteries -it's an additional income. What I'm getting from Stefano's answer is that they will eventually sell it, they just don't have enough stock to be able to both sell batteries yet having enough for warranty repairs.

no official statement?
obviously you dont know who Stefano is dude.

nodevel
2014-08-18, 16:28
no official statement?
obviously you dont know who Stefano is dude.

You mean

Co-founder @ Jolla; Home of my personal thoughts, not the ones of my company.

dude? :)

nieldk
2014-08-18, 16:28
here is the official statement "we are working on it" is that good enough?

Fellfrosch
2014-08-18, 16:45
I haven't wrote about that I feel cheated nor that I have lost my belief. There are a lot of ifs in my post. But what i actually can't understand is why it is so difficult to offer batteries and if there are good reasons, why they don't act more transparent and tell us. There even is no official statement that there will be spare batteries to order.

Fellfrosch
2014-08-18, 16:47
For me that is enough at the moment.:o

bill_klpd
2014-08-18, 17:38
What's going on with Jolla?? From time to time when I check this community I see more and more problems not from the product (the phone itself) but from the company...

I have put my beliefs in Jolla as it has something different to give to the phone industry, but all I see the last time is more and more problems..
I can't understand why, but some of them are unrespectable (like this one with the battery!)

Jolla is, in my opinion, not really well known (just like Samsung etc), especially here in Greece and with these actions is losing more and more customers and it's a pity!

I hope that they will change their mind soon, before it is too late...

nieldk
2014-08-18, 17:46
I would say, it is not individual people within the company. On an individual employee level people are being answered. But there is clearly a publicity issue from the company side.
I guess atm they are focusing really hard on releases and availability around the world, more than issues.
Yes, I hope this will change, and they will get enough ressources to work with the community

benny1967
2014-08-18, 19:06

Which, in my book, is the exact opposite of "They dont want to sell batteries". If I don't want to do something, I'd not be working on it.

benny1967
2014-08-18, 19:26

That's exactly what it says.

It shouldn't be so difficult to produce enough batteries.

Not difficult, but probably expensive. My guess is that Jolla can't just have 100 spare batteries produced for the few people who have asked for them so far. (I tried a quick search on TJC: Questions about spare batteries or other parts have less than 100 votes.)

They'll probably need to order a certain minimum number from their partners and are reluctant to do so before they can be sure those parts will be sold. Just my guess.

benny1967
2014-08-18, 19:29
I just don't get why people think Jolla has intentions to cheat them.

Drama! Drama! :)

(It might be the downside of a community model in which you can really chat with the people who actually run the company. Would it be so attractive to fight for attention if the person you're talking to is only a part-time customer service employee?)

nieldk
2014-08-18, 19:31
That's exactly what it says.

Not difficult, but probably expensive. My guess is that Jolla can't just have 100 spare batteries produced for the few people who have asked for them so far. (I tried a quick search on TJC: Questions about spare batteries or other parts have less than 100 votes.)

They'll probably need to order a certain minimum number from their partners and are reluctant to do so before they can be sure those parts will be sold. Just my guess.

well, thats contradictionary, if only ~100 people have asked, that would make it more affordable for them to have a few available, ofcourse with some delivery time

nieldk
2014-08-18, 19:31
Drama! Drama! :)

i dont think anyone expressed "cheating" in this matter.

benny1967
2014-08-18, 19:37
well, thats contradictionary, if only ~100 people have asked, that would make it more affordable for them to have a few available, ofcourse with some delivery time

What I'm saying is that they need to be produced before they can be made available to the end customer. And if there's a minimum batch of, say, 50.000 - why should Jolla even think of ordering them if they assume only 100 will be sold?

They have some spare batteries in the backyard, yes, but they cant give those away as long as there are customers who send devices in for warranty repairs.

(Nothing that I write here are facts I know. It's just the one explanation that immediately comes to my mind after reading these last pages. I'm making assumptions.)

nieldk
2014-08-18, 19:42
What I'm saying is that they need to be produced before they can be made available to the end customer. And if there's a minimum batch of, say, 50.000 - why should Jolla even think of ordering them if they assume only 100 will be sold?

They have some spare batteries in the backyard, yes, but they cant give those away as long as there are customers who send devices in for warranty repairs.

(Nothing that I write here are facts I know. It's just the one explanation that immediately comes to my mind after reading these last pages. I'm making assumptions.)

could be, and if Jolla would have expressed what Stefano (and JollaHQ) have said in twitter as response to me, I think most would have let it rest

jalyst
2014-08-18, 19:49
Scary indication of what sales may or may not be like if they're only getting ~100 requests for replacement/backup batteries...
Then again, prolly only tiny subset of owners actually use TJC, & of that subset, prolly only ~half of them have an interest/concern about battery (for now).

nieldk
2014-08-18, 19:51
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectification_(law)

Only after the court has been satisfied by evidence which leaves no 'fair and reasonable doubt' that the deed impeached does not embody the final intention of the parties. This evidence must make it clear that the alleged intention to which the plaintiff asks that the deed be made to conform, continued concurrently in the minds of all the parties down to the time of its execution; and the plaintiff must succeed in showing also the precise form in which the instrument will express this intention.

benny1967
2014-08-18, 19:59
Scary indication of what sales may or may not be like if they're only getting ~100 requests for replacement/backup batteries...

Never in my life with smartphones have I actually used replacement batteries. It's good to know a battery can be changed if I need to do it, but in the end I always replaced the phone before I used the spare battery I bought with it (in the early years).

I assume 99.99% of the consumers don't see any use for a replacement battery nowadays.

nieldk
2014-08-18, 20:03
Never in my life with smartphones have I actually used replacement batteries. It's good to know a battery can be changed if I need to do it, but in the end I always replaced the phone before I used the spare battery I bought with it (in the early years).

I assume 99.99% of the consumers don't see any use for a replacement battery nowadays.

I believe that is true, but personally, my battery capacity is dissolving much faster than those 99.9% of users, probably because I am using the device to the max.
So, that most users may never need a spare battery, should not equal not being able to find one.

jalyst
2014-08-18, 20:11

Yeah but I very much doubt that % is true for the sort of users buying the Jolla.
Not even sure of the definitiveness of the % itself; anyway we prolly digress too much.

aegis
2014-08-18, 20:44
Never in my life with smartphones have I actually used replacement batteries.

I had 3 in my N900 and regularly used to carry 2 with me because it barely got through half a day on 1 battery. How anyone could use that for a daily driver was beyond me. I also had a replacement for my E71 as after 2 years it wasn't lasting as well as it did. My C7 also needed a new battery after about 2 years.

My N9 probably needs a new internal battery as that lasts about 2/3rds what it used to. I carry a spare external battery just in case for that. I've a dead Lumia 800 that I might pull the battery from and swap.

My Jolla thankfully seems to have awesome battery life. I'd not be too concerned with going two days without charging. However, at some point the battery life will diminish and there's always edge cases where some buggy app decides to drain charge. And as I mentioned earlier, charging by pedalling a bicycle is my weird usage case where a spare battery would be handy especially if I've used GPS a lot that day.

zlatko
2014-08-18, 20:58
Then again, prolly only tiny subset of owners actually use TJC, & of that subset, prolly only ~half of them have an interest/concern about battery (for now).
TJC has only approx. 4500 users, so 100 is not small part. And these are only the people who actually expressed their need. Many others will do it(buy battery) if it was possible.

nodevel
2014-08-18, 21:15
TJC has only approx. 4500 users, so 100 is not small part. And these are only the people who actually expressed their need. Many others will do it(buy battery) if it was possible.

But you must also take into account that voting costs nothing, unlike buying a battery.
I've voted for that issue because I think it would be nice to have such possibility, but it doesn't mean I'd buy it right away (maybe in a year or so, if it's really necessary). I guess there are more people like me, so it doesn't reflect the real demand.

I also have 3-4 batteries for my N900 which I'd swap during the day, but Jolla lasts long enough, so I haven't had the need to buy a spare battery yet (the need might come later, but I'm sure it will be available by then).

For cycling and hiking, I have this external battery (http://crest.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EnergiToGo1.jpg), but I use it ~1x a year. It's an option, though.

@Nieldk: Here's (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1436143&postcount=30) the cheating reference. By the way, I respect your choice and I am very thankful for all your work on Jolla. I just think people should really calm down and not always expect the worst...

MartinK
2014-08-18, 23:03
There is one thing that kinda confuses me - does this mean that the Jolla has a custom made battery ?

I would kinda expect them to just use one of the off the shelf ones or those used by big smartphone manufactures, which should be easily & cheaply available from first or third party sources. It was like this for the N900 (it shared the same battery type with other Nokia phones) and I'm sure there are many other examples.

Or is there some really important specific reason why they would need to roll their own battery with all the possible drawbacks (limited availability, dependency on supplier/tooling, price(?)).

"We can make more money by using battery that is not compatible with anything else and can be bough only from us." <- Is the only thing I can come up with, but it does not sound very convincing, considering Jolla is still not selling replacement batteries 9 months from launch.

jalyst
2014-08-19, 05:03
I saw at least one 'Sailor' lurking in this thread about 9hrs ago, hopefully everything raised will be addressed soon.

nieldk
2014-08-19, 05:53
I saw at least one 'Sailor' lurking in this thread about 9hrs ago, hopefully everything raised will be addressed soon.

Have to say, also on my twitter this raised some attention. So, I do believe they will now listen.
Just sad, that it takes a storm like this

NokiaFanatic
2014-08-19, 09:00
It's a bit worrying for the long-term future of the device if spare batteries can't even be made available. Hopefully Jolla can make this kind of thing available because it would be ridiculous to have to send your device to them of an out of warranty repair if you know the issue is with the battery.

benny1967
2014-08-19, 09:32
Have to say, also on my twitter this raised some attention. So, I do believe they will now listen.
Just sad, that it takes a storm like this

In my opinion, the storm was uncalled for. And I cannot imagine them changing business plans because of three people being unkind on twitter. Either it already was on their schedule and we'll see it when it's ready - or not.

nieldk
2014-08-19, 09:38
In my opinion, the storm was uncalled for. And I cannot imagine them changing business plans because of three people being unkind on twitter. Either it already was on their schedule and we'll see it when it's ready - or not.

Not at all, as for the battery, my device battery capacity is heavily going down, and I will need one really soon.
Also, using my device as I do, I cant have it charged for a full day, which disables that I can use it as a main device.
Also, when the battery dies completely, you may not be able to charge it again, I had to purchase and external charger from China to charge the battery directly.
My concerns are vaild, and should be adressed, as for the storm. Maybe it is not necessary for the case of the battery, but it is helpful in showing Jolla that attention is requested.
They COULD help themself by responding BEFORE the storm.

benny1967
2014-08-19, 11:01
My concerns are vaild, and should be adressed, as for the storm. Maybe it is not necessary for the case of the battery, but it is helpful in showing Jolla that attention is requested.
They COULD help themself by responding BEFORE the storm.

Yes, the question as such is valid, was first asked in December 2013 and has been answered by Jolla representatives several times since then. From Dec. 2013 they had a very clear communication, saying that parts such as batteries will be available from the store as soon as they can provide them, but they don't know when that will be.

I'd rather have them work on the solutions than entertaining a bunch of people who never will be content, no matter what Jolla says or does. Haters gonna hate, right? (Following twitter, it's always the same three or four accounts who are destructive towards the community. I'd very much prefer Jolla's employees and managers not to waste their time on those.)

nieldk
2014-08-19, 11:04
Yes, the question as such is valid, was first asked in December 2013 and has been answered by Jolla representatives several times since then. From Dec. 2013 they had a very clear communication, saying that parts such as batteries will be available from the store as soon as they can provide them, but they don't know when that will be.

I'd rather have them work on the solutions than entertaining a bunch of people who never will be content, no matter what Jolla says or does. Haters gonna hate, right? (Following twitter, it's always the same three or four accounts who are destructive towards the community. I'd very much prefer Jolla's employees and managers not to waste their time on those.)

I could think you work at Jolla ;)

nieldk
2014-08-19, 11:06
I rest my case

fk_lx
2014-08-19, 11:10
Everything will be soon - Silica components open, spare batteries, paid apps in Jolla Store... what else was promised long time ago and still not available?

Kaacz
2014-08-19, 11:10

This is truth for usually ocean of near-of-**** today's smartphones.
But in case, when you have expensive special (unlike) phone and have not moneys for next expensive model .. or that not exist - only new battery is solution .. :)

fk_lx
2014-08-19, 11:12
If you want a spare battery - just buy another Jolla phone. That is the temporary solution for the problem currently not requiring sending the whole phone to Finland.

benny1967
2014-08-19, 11:47
I could think you work at Jolla ;)

At least part of your assumption is true: I work. I'm used to making decisions based on budgets, customer satisfaction, technical feasibility, employees available for the job etc. etc.

Business isn't about delivering everything to everybody in no time. Business is about budgets, priorities, cost, troubles with suppliers and distributors, legal issues and so on.

In my job, I set priorities that will make 2% of our customers leave our company... because I know that there is never enough money to keep 100% of them happy and I prefer keeping 98% rather than 2%. I have to deal with situations in which a vital system breaks down at the most crucial time of a sales campaign, trying to keep the business going with just anything available - including pen and paper for hundreds of thousands of orders.

I am used to things not working as they should, to missed timelines, promises not kept, and so forth. That's business. That's life. That's normal. Not being able to deal with it means, basically, not being able to deal with life as it is.

Maybe it's this experience that makes me stay calm when a software feature isn't implemented perfectly, when the other half of my dreams isn't available from the Jolla Store or when there's still no spare battery to buy. I just assume they do their best and that they have a sane list of priorities. In the meantime, I enjoy my Jolla phone which has been my main phone for months now. Because: None of the minor issues above makes it a bad phone or unusable, as some write.

As for the accounts on twitter I mentioned in a post above - I wonder what their daytime jobs are. I wonder if they have jobs at all... and how they'd react if I were one of their customers and use the same foul language and ad hominem attacks in public.

nieldk
2014-08-19, 12:11
At least part of your assumption is true: I work. I'm used to making decisions based on budgets, customer satisfaction, technical feasibility, employees available for the job etc. etc.

And your company is doing well ?

Business isn't about delivering everything to everybody in no time. Business is about budgets, priorities, cost, troubles with suppliers and distributors, legal issues and so on.

It is degfinately not about no communications, believe me, if any, tat will p... of your clients

In my job, I set priorities that will make 2% of our customers leave our company... because I know that there is never enough money to keep 100% of them happy and I prefer keeping 98% rather than 2%.

All business knows they will loose a certain amount, what is acceptable ? differs!, but no healthy business will like loosing clients

I have to deal with situations in which a vital system breaks down at the most crucial time of a sales campaign, trying to keep the business going with just anything available - including pen and paper for hundreds of thousands of orders.

[QUOTE]I am used to things not working as they should, to missed timelines, promises not kept, and so forth. That's business. That's life.

Unfortunately, true

That's normal. Not being able to deal with it means, basically, not being able to deal with life as it is.

Maybe it's this experience that makes me stay calm when a software feature isn't implemented perfectly, when the other half of my dreams isn't available from the Jolla Store or when there's still no spare battery to buy. I just assume they do their best and that they have a sane list of priorities. In the meantime, I enjoy my Jolla phone which has been my main phone for months now. Because: None of the minor issues above makes it a bad phone or unusable, as some write.

Decisions have consequences. Delibarete decisions have serious consequences

As for the accounts on twitter I mentioned in a post above - I wonder what their daytime jobs are. I wonder if they have jobs at all... and how they'd react if I were one of their customers and use the same foul language and ad hominem attacks in public.

Oh yes, I do, and I have to deal with much worse problems than these. Maybe thats why I have the energy to try to be 'unlike'

Kaacz
2014-08-19, 12:38
Maybe it's this experience that makes me stay calm when a software feature isn't implemented perfectly,

But your business experience? Each calm-wait have own end.
How long you stay calm and wait for implementing? One year? .. or two?!?
SORRY, business not wait for anything/anybody. "Do it in-time" or "go away"... Main is "in time". Before lost developers/users. And this is Jolla problem. After 8 months after launch have not solved many problems (APIs, libs, payapps, bugtracker, ..). We see only "We thinking about it".. Developers are sick and tired.

Other companies will send this company to mess heap in past. And this is sad and I do'nt want it !!
I do not like to watch how Jolla committing suicide.

PS: I was always wrote my critics as alarmed stimulus, not simply hate. Maybe after months my criticism is a little bigger.. :)

Sorry for my ugly "english" ..

benny1967
2014-08-19, 13:24
It is degfinately not about no communications, believe me, if any, tat will p... of your clients

There's few companies that communicate as much and openly as Jolla. I sometimes wonder if it isn't too much. (Like when they explained their database problem during the launch period; I wouldn't have done that.)

It's just that certain people fail to listen. (Or, maybe, just ignore what Jolla says because it's not what they want to hear.)
This battery-discussion is one perfect example. Jolla has been telling us what's going on for months; it's just that a few never accepted the message.

Or take for example the rant about the lack of support for paid apps in the store. It's months ago that Jolla said they'll try to make this work in the second half of 2014. Still, there's people complaining either that it's not yet implemented (H2 2014 has only just begun, 4 months to go) or that there's no information on this particular topic.

Communication is fine. It may be that you don't like what you hear, that's a different issue. But thats like blaming Apple for their communications when they tell me the iPhones's designed to install software from their store only and making a drama about it. That's not Apple's communications. It's the message. And if I don't like it, it's no use barking at them for months. I'd just quietly leave and enjoy a different product.

nodevel
2014-08-19, 14:49
But unfulfilled promises are wrong. For example things for PR hype on medial monster actions: Rovio AngryBirds, Younited client .. how many months? scared silence about this ... sad. With each PR action we got only new promises.. It's not good.. really..

Simply - it's time to fulfill old promises ..

Thank you for this fine example of "unfulfilled promises" blame.

Angry Birds and Younited were announced for MWC and it has been stated from the beginning that the target is H2 of 2014. People ask Younited on Twitter almost every week and they are answering since February that their target is the end of the Summer.

I would advice Jolla to give out less information, since people don't want to listen to information they already have.

nieldk
2014-08-19, 15:04

Angry Birds and Younited were announced for MWC and it has been stated from the beginning that the target is H2 of 2014. People ask Younited on Twitter almost every week and they are answering since February that their target is the end of the Summer.

I would advice Jolla to give out less information, since people don't want to listen to information they already have.

I give up LOL
since you ha e the information, please tell me

when approximately will spare battery be available
where can it be obtained from
what price range
shipping from
will it be available in all Jolla sales areas
will it be available in
shops
service centers
or, only as service repair

nieldk
2014-08-19, 15:05
not that i really care, Ive had enough of this BS

aegis
2014-08-19, 15:59
For cycling and hiking, I have this external battery (http://crest.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/EnergiToGo1.jpg), but I use it ~1x a year. It's an option, though.

I use one of these as well... http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyAcc-12000mAh-Portable-Capacity-Smartphone-Black/dp/B008YRG5JQ

4 USB ports so you can charge multiple devices, two are USB standard spec and two are Apple standard. It's great but will only last me a week without a power supply hence charging from the bike's pedal power.

Kaacz
2014-08-19, 16:07

Ok, then why I got from Younited person "when it's done" ?? LOL

Problem 1) On PR events Jolla say "Coming soon!" (do you know what it is "coming soon" ? it's not half year .. expect problem 2). :)
- and after event wrote in PR press (https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/9_MWC_F-SECURE_ANNOUNCEMENT_MWC2014_FINAL.PDF) "all Jolla smartphone users will soon have the opportunity to utilize younited by F-Secure, a trusted and secure cloud storage service." and "The younited cloud service for Jolla users will be made available soon."
WHERE IS DATE?? :):):)
Please never write "information they already have" in future if you have not evidence. Or write link to user-official page with this information. Thanks. :)

Problem 2) we all know (MS/Nokia is good example): announcing anything too early are very bad. Half people lost interest and second half is irritated. Simply people work in this way .. :)
Example: When MS/Nokia announce new phone before iPhone event .. and this new phone is released before Xmass ..
- in Xmass time half people have new iPhone a few months ..
- second half have new model of Samsung announced after iPhone.
Only few WP believers buy Lumia..

PS: I don' know things about R-AB, have not focus on it. In PR (https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/10_MWC_TOH_ANNOUNCEMENT_2014_FINAL.PDF) press is only "The final content is currently under development, and is targeted to be announced in detail during Q2/2014". Same nothing about release date. OK, Where is Jolla announce about it from Q2? We are in second half of Q3! :)

PS2: where is official "the target is H2 of 2014"? Or it is your blame? :)

PS3: you know, it's hard for me to make this debate in EN .. :)

szopin
2014-08-22, 19:46
Oh, and I too am angry with jolla, they should have soldered the batteries, seeing how they are aware of legal issues in sending those over by mail, would have been smarter to make the phone with unreplaceable battery, one customer more kept

jalyst
2014-08-23, 01:22
Oh, and I too am angry with jolla, they should have soldered the batteries, seeing how they are aware of legal issues in sending those over by mail, would have been smarter to make the phone with unreplaceable battery, one customer more kept

See earlier posts here, not the issue, if you are a co. it's possible to ship batteries, Jolla has now said they're working on a solution.

chemist
2014-08-24, 17:52
Thread split to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93610

EDIT: I tried to pull the relevant posts from the other thread back here but I might have missed some. Use the "Report This" button on the posts to make moderators aware of, please.

Morpog
2014-08-25, 13:38
Are they seeling spare batterys?
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/jolla-akku-22b50/321899382

mariusmssj
2014-08-25, 13:59
Are they seeling spare batterys?
http://www.huuto.net/kohteet/jolla-akku-22b50/321899382

hmm looks like a Jolla

Thoke
2014-08-25, 14:14
Yes, seems like some individual sold a Jolla battery in a Finnish online auction/second-hand store site, he stated there it came with his phone... Strange case, that.

EDIT: By the way, I searched for the extra battery TOH, and found out it already exists and works (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1415592&postcount=15), but it is a DIY-project if you want one for yourself.

jameson
2014-09-02, 17:12
There are lots of battery manufacturers in China that would be happy to build the battery for you provided you buy enough pieces (and I think many could come down to some hundreds) and provide full mechanical information. The cell is a standard one, they just need to add the top and bottom plastic caps and the small PCB with the protection devices and the contacts. The price for such a battery is probably about $3 per piece.

alfmar
2014-10-06, 22:12
Trumpeting "replaceable battery" without actually selling extra batteries, is... [erm... oops!]

When I broke the USB plug of the N900, I bought a second battery and an external charger. Wow, my life changed: I went out always with a fully charged battery. And a spare battery for those loong days out.

I did not (yet) vote anywhere for spare batteries, but I will be the first to buy one when Jolla store will sell it. I want the same "always going out fully charged" experience. :)

Maybe Jolla 2 will have replaceable battery, wireless charging, and no USB port.

bluefoot
2014-10-16, 21:05
There are lots of battery manufacturers in China that would be happy to build the battery for you provided you buy enough pieces (and I think many could come down to some hundreds) and provide full mechanical information. The cell is a standard one, they just need to add the top and bottom plastic caps and the small PCB with the protection devices and the contacts. The price for such a battery is probably about $3 per piece.

Probably slightly more than that, but the Jolla battery is indeed a very cheap Chinese one ... I just can't fathom why they haven't ordered additional units.

Only reason I can think of is that they initially ordered a limited run of the battery unit, which was and is only enough to cover production of the actual phone and a very limited number of warranty battery replacements, and that no more have been made.

Again, Jolla's total lack of communication or indication of what's going on is very disconcerting.

pagis
2014-10-16, 21:36
mugen.co is producing good quality replacement batteries for mobile phones, they should be able to come with a replacement battery for Jolla. the only question is the quantity.

bluefoot
2014-10-16, 21:50
mugen.co is producing good quality replacement batteries for mobile phones, they should be able to come with a replacement battery for Jolla. the only question is the quantity.

A Mugen battery would probably cost 2x as much as the dirt cheap one in the Jolla, if not considerably more than that. Unless Jolla paid them a considerable subsidy to produce one, the market would be too small for them to be interested anyway. Why they can't order a run of replacement batteries from their existing OEM is just ... weird.

vistaus
2014-10-16, 22:33
Mugen is not expensive. I once bought a 1400 Mah replacement battery for mre previous smartphone (HP Pre 3) for a dirt cheap price at their web store. When I now boot up my Pre 3 (it's been a while, but sometimes just for fun and nostalgic) the battery is still at about 98% health. We're now at about 2,5 years since I bought that battery and close to 2 years of daily driver usage (the past months I've mostly been using my Jolla phone) so the quality is very good, esp. for that dirt cheap price.
(They also sold a well-priced 3000 MAh version but I didn't want to make the phone any bulkier lol.)

So no, it might not be more expensive for the Jolla phone (esp. because their sales of Jolla replacement batteries will be just as much as for the Pre 3).

jameson
2014-11-07, 10:50
FYI, I am now running my Jolla on a modified Galaxy S3 battery. The cell has exactly the same size and nominal capacity. From the comparison, and being an electronics engineer who has designed lithium-polymer power supplies and also a battery seller on eBay, I can say that the original Jolla battery sucks big time. If anybody is interested in knowing what should be done to adapt an S3 battery to the Jolla, let me know and I will describe the process (which requires a good deal of manual skill).

minimos
2014-11-07, 13:11
I can say that the original Jolla battery sucks big time.
I'm not an expert with batteries, so I'm first of all interested in this statement. In what sense does Jolla battery 'suck' ?

Fellfrosch
2014-11-07, 13:24
@jamson
I think everybody who owns a Jolla is interested in knowledge to alter a Samsung S3 battery into a Jolla battery. :eek:
So please let us know!

santeira
2014-11-08, 19:47
@ jameson

the same for me, also interested in knowing how to adapt an s3 accu on my jolla. :confused:

would be great, if you let us know...

gd81n
2014-11-10, 02:39
If anybody is interested in knowing what should be done to adapt an S3 battery to the Jolla, let me know and I will describe the process (which requires a good deal of manual skill).

Definitely Interested.

richardski
2014-11-11, 20:03
The modification info would be a great help as Jolla is being rather slow in providing additional batteries.

strongm
2014-11-12, 11:36
The modification info would be a great help as Jolla is being rather slow in providing additional batteries.

One of the great understatements ...

bluefoot
2014-11-14, 21:33

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they're never going to be available.

Does anyone who has bought a Jolla recently have a production date later than April '14? Haven't heard of it ... I think these are the 'Last Ones', as opposed to First Ones ...

mrsellout
2014-12-02, 12:55
As a backup Kamen Dokov found that the battery (part # HB5N1H) for a Huawei Ascend G330 is compatible with the Jolla, if a little shorter (the gap could be packed cardboard), and with a smaller capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYdwET4mgY

http://reviewjolla.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/this-spare-battery-fits-into-jolla-phone.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Huawei-Ascend-Li-ion-1800mAh/dp/B00APK11OE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417469972&sr=1-1&keywords=hb5n1h
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-1800mAh-for-Huawei-Ascend-Y330-V330-C00-Y330-U01-G520s-/261580857037

szopin
2014-12-04, 13:55
@reviewjolla: Finally - A small batch of #Jolla spare #batteries coming to Jolla Shop http://t.co/8iVmJrWFZo

juiceme
2014-12-04, 15:54
@reviewjolla: Finally - A small batch of #Jolla spare #batteries coming to Jolla Shop http://t.co/8iVmJrWFZo

And here's the link to atricle on TJC (https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/?answer=68970#post-id-68970)

sada11
2014-12-08, 18:35
...finally :)

[Official announcement] Batteries available Tuesday 9th of December 2014 @ 12:00 UTC

source: https://together.jolla.com/question/69955/official-announcement-batteries-available-tuesday-9th-of-december-2014-1200-utc/

mrsellout
2014-12-09, 11:58
Just a quick reminder for those needing a spare battery:
http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-accessories.html

eekkelund
2014-12-09, 12:09
http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-jolla/jolla-official-battery.html
25€

aegis
2014-12-09, 12:23
Ouch. pricey even with the included shipping.

Bought anyhow. It'll extend my bike touring off-grid range significantly.

Casanunda
2014-12-09, 13:29
"out of stock" now.
wouldn't think the batch was THAT limited...
(placed my own order right on time, though)

NokiaFanatic
2014-12-09, 13:56
Yay! Didn't manage to get one yet though.

n900user259
2014-12-09, 16:04
Sjeez, how many did they have? Like 5 or less?
I couldn't get online due to work and now that I check in it's gone already?

And what's with the accessories anyway? They're all out of stock.

Dave999
2014-12-09, 18:46
WTF...out of stock!

Seriously... :mad:

Tigerroast
2014-12-09, 18:58
LMAO! That's a tease if I've ever seen one!

"Ladies and germs, after declaring user-replaceable batteries a feature while not supplying the batteries, we're proud to present, at long last...
SPARE BATTERIES! Albeit, they're a tad overpriced and in limited quantity."

*sells out immediately*

Lmao! Dat untapped market, yo!

juiceme
2014-12-09, 21:15
Was away whole day and just now remembered this and... out of stock :eek:

pichlo
2014-12-09, 23:08
At least my conscience is clean. I checked out the store at about 12:20 and batteries were still available, €25 apiece. I gave it a little thought and decided,

My Jolla does pretty well with its original battery;
So does my N900, with a battery it came with (I had it for at least 2 years and it was already used);
In the worst case, I am sure I can improvise something...
...much cheaper than €25 ;)

So, someone else got the battery that I could have bought. I accept thanks on postcards, cash, cheques or PayPal ;)

Jordi
2014-12-20, 20:52
I was not quick enough to buy a genuine Jolla battery so I tried with batteries of an old Nokia phone, ref. BL-5C (850 mAh). Not very convenient but it's working. I will keep this dirty hack in my bag, just in case.:)

The battery needs to be adjusted a little bit (need to cut a small part) and it's a little thicker than the Jolla one but nevertheless, the cover can be easily closed.

In red, the location of the plastic wedges I made to secure this small battery.

elastic
2015-01-07, 01:16
anyone tried this one:
http://reviewjolla.blogspot.de/2014/12/this-spare-battery-fits-into-jolla-phone.html

misterc
2015-01-18, 18:54
Anyway if that is really the case. They should tell us a fixed date when we can order spare batteries. It shouldn't be so difficult to produce enough batteries.

it's not only about "industrial" / manufacturing availability
they would have inventory with spare batteries and they can't afford that - thus keep it as minimal as possible

elastic
2015-01-18, 20:00
it's not only about "industrial" / manufacturing availability
they would have inventory with spare batteries and they can't afford that - thus keep it as minimal as possible

Mmh but would it be a problem to collect orders from cutomers for a few weeks, and then produce/order the batteries ?! Can't be that complicated ...

pichlo
2015-01-18, 20:29
They stock the phones. I am pretty sure that costs more.

mrsellout
2015-07-31, 21:27
Some users on TJC have discovered that the HTC Desire 310 battery is an exact match for the Jolla battery.

Images from this comment:

https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/?comment=103235#comment-103235

http://abload.de/img/20150731_004axrdu.jpghttp://abload.de/img/20150731_008qpqop.jpg

muto
2015-08-01, 02:38
so this battery can be charged in Jolla! Thats a great news because all previous batteried needed to be charged outside.

Kake41
2015-08-01, 07:25
Here's an another page to order the battery:
http://www.halvathinnat.com/3-8v-2450mah-rechargeable-li-polymer-battery-for-htc-desire-310.html?___store=english&___from_store=finnish

nieldk
2015-08-01, 07:57
Iam going to get it ffrom alibaba :) only 2$

Jordi
2015-08-01, 08:16
Great news!

And the comunity did it without any help of Jolla.

nieldk
2015-08-01, 08:19
Great news!

And the comunity did it without any help of Jolla.

Seems to be their motto, for better and worse

youmeego
2015-08-01, 09:16
Wow. Good to hear that. Start looking for alternative battery for Jolla tablet :)

minimos
2015-08-01, 12:12
Here's an another page to order the battery:
http://www.halvathinnat.com/3-8v-2450mah-rechargeable-li-polymer-battery-for-htc-desire-310.html?___store=english&___from_store=finnish

That smells a little of fake.
First of all it reports a bigger capacity than the other one (and the one used in Jolla's phone).
Second, if you check the picture on the back, the UR certificate reported (E309412) seems to be related to a few batteries quite different from the one in the picture.
Lastly, it costs even less then the one mentioned from the German e-shop.

javispedro
2015-08-06, 16:54
Trying the polarcell desire 310 one. Exact fit indeed.

[ 315.827742] [BAT]## SOC= 56( 56, 56),3932(3959),A=-239,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R01,W1B
[ 315.829116] [BAT] Internal R 237 mOhm, I1:263600uA I2:-250081uA V1:3851748uV V2:3973494uV
[ 374.475720] [BAT] 57( 57, 57.0, 58.0( 58.0) 0.0)v3981(3901)(-306,-306)t252,c -13693, 0(18390)r260,L3885,s10
[ 374.478681] [BAT]## SOC= 57( 57, 57),3990(3981),A=-306,T=252,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R01,W1B
[ 605.395482] [BAT] 58( 58, 58.0, 61.7( 59.8) 0.0)v3935(3933)( -9,-284)t254,c -31649, 0(18390)r268,L3885,s10
[ 605.398412] [BAT]## SOC= 58( 58, 58),3944(3935),A=-001,T=254,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R01,W1B
[ 605.399755] [BAT] Internal R 77 mOhm, I1:-306083uA I2:-9511uA V1:3980844uV V2:3957906uV

(Note: I am slow charging at max 500mA!)

So far so good.

With this and the hardware keyboard, Jolla is now the device that I always wanted... a pity it's been nearly two years since I bought it.

zenecho
2015-08-06, 20:29
Ive got a "genuine" HTC battery about £16 from ebay arrived today

3.8VDC
2000mAh - jolla battery 2100mAh
7.60Wh - jolla battery 7.98Wh
Max charging voltage 4.35V

perfect fit
seems to charge ok

explit
2015-08-07, 08:12

3.8VDC

perfect fit
seems to charge ok

The PolarCell Battery from eBay seems to be better.
I bought it for my Jolla and it has the same values as original Jolla Battery.
2100 mAh / 7.98Wh

zenecho
2015-08-07, 08:32
indeed though the HTC battery has a black case, which rests easier with my OCD <g> :D

pagis
2015-08-07, 10:12
Jolla will never "officially" admit, for obvious reasons, a battery from a third party manufacturer is suitable for their phone. It is not clear what Jolla can do in this situation.

nieldk
2015-08-07, 10:19
Jolla will never "officially" admit, for obvious reasons, a battery from a third party manufacturer is suitable for their phone. It is not clear what Jolla can do in this situation.

Sure it is

*** warranty void ***

sponka
2015-08-07, 10:43
Polarcell to the rescue, already using their battery in N900 :)

javispedro
2015-08-12, 01:17
Jolla will never "officially" admit, for obvious reasons, a battery from a third party manufacturer is suitable for their phone.

Not obvious at all to me.

mosen
2015-08-12, 09:26
Not obvious at all to me.

This sounded very definate to me and afaik is the last/latest official statement regarding 3rd party spares (https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/?answer=68970#post-id-68970).

From a legal standpoint i think they dodged "consumer claims" regarding not providing spares albeit advertising user replacable battery by having sold a limited batch back in december...

Now that we have our community hack, i suspect them to keep silent on it. Which is a bit of a "go" in Jollas case. Only they can not advertise it from a legal (certification??) standpoint.

Remember how they handeld the "leaked" update (i don't remember the version number thou)?
Someone discovered that by testing through version numbers and doing a version --dup we where able to update to an unreleased version. They kept quiet about it when other companies would have barked like a dog to the users to not install it.
Heck, they even started the "early update" program shortly after leading to the suspicion they channeled the demand.

Ok, the comparison to spare battery is not fully doable, but i think it is a good sign that we did not have an official discouraging tweet like "Please do not use htc 310 spares, your phone may still explode"...

aegis
2015-08-12, 13:47

3.8VDC

perfect fit
seems to charge ok

This battery on amazon isn't an original HTC battery but matches the Jolla specs...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2100mAh-Battery-D310w-Desire-D310f/dp/B00QR1J732

strongm
2015-08-12, 14:31
This sounded very definate to me and afaik is the last/latest official statement regarding 3rd party spares (https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/?answer=68970#post-id-68970)

I suspect that was mostly to avoid any fallout from batteries that were being physically modified to fit and work - potentially a hazard with the battery technology in use.

The HTC battery, on the other hand, requires no changes in order to work.

javispedro
2015-08-12, 14:45
This sounded very definate to me and afaik is the last/latest official statement regarding 3rd party spares (https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/?answer=68970#post-id-68970).

But what I'm suggesting is for Jolla to just say: "Ok, we have made some tests and the polarcell HTC Desire 310 is now an 'approved' battery".

Only they can not advertise it from a legal (certification??) standpoint.
This is the part that's not obvious. This polarcell battery is already being sold in germany of all places. Not a shady bazaar on red district but in plain sight on Amazon. There's a shitload of certification for packaged LiIon batteries and I'm going to assume that Polarcell already complies with them all. It's not obvious which issues would Jolla have.

Leinad
2015-08-12, 22:33
it seems, ebay just gives out vouchers, at at least i got one per email recently.
you get 10€, when you buy for at least for 20€, so i just ordered 2 polarcell batteries for about 25€.
that's a good deal, i guess

instead of paying 50€ for 1

mosen
2015-08-13, 19:41
This is the part that's not obvious. This polarcell battery is already being sold in germany of all places. Not a shady bazaar on red district but in plain sight on Amazon.

Jolla could well profit from announcing having found a spare battery supplier. It would have cost nothing but an official blog post and some testing as you correctly say. The fact they did not already do (since two weeks) tells me that some legal issues keep them from doing an obvious step from user perspective.

Could it be that Jolla is obliged to provide warranty for the whole bought package (Phone, Battery, Charger) and its combined use?
Publicly announcing compatiblity with another battery may take them into trouble if those fail, regardless the perfect build quality of e.g. polarcell. Maybe if their original battery fails in a Jolla Phone ( and hurts someone), they have a special insurence from the ODM?

Just wild guesses, but some legal stuff is the obstacle for sure.

rainisto
2015-08-13, 20:43
At least that golden desire 310 2450mAh battery sometimes refuses to charge if you reach 100% and then replug the charging cable ie. you need to reboot the device to get it charging again (which is quite a usability hit). And quite many desire 310 batteries are fakes or b-quality ripoffs. I haven't seen powercell one, so cannot comment if that one has similar problems or not (maybe it has better quality if your lucky).

Most likely Jolla as company will never endorse any other battery than the original one which has Jolla-label in it. Even if battery dimensions seems to match it still can have charging problems like above. And like always this is just my personal views and not representing any company.

mosen
2015-08-13, 21:16
I haven't seen powercell one
It is perfect build quality as always from Polarcell!
Been using a polarcell in n900 since ages and now also no problem in Jolla since Monday!

juiceme
2015-08-14, 12:05
Yay!

See what just dropped in my mailbox (http://www.swagman.org/juice/20150814_001.jpg)

Jordi
2015-08-14, 12:30
Yay!

See what just dropped in my mailbox (http://www.swagman.org/juice/20150814_001.jpg)

I received the same one one week ago: works without a hitch! :)

I suspect it's the same battery as the Jolla one, the electrical characteristics are the same and the ribs on the plastic parts are identical as well.

tathhu
2015-08-14, 16:03
What's the capacity% on those? I'd like to buy one but if it's closer to 90 than 100 i'll skip. :P Got now a official Jolla battery with 84,xx% capacity.

ThomasAH
2015-08-15, 10:04
For the people who own the Polarcell battery: I just noticed this news over at TJC (https://together.jolla.com/question/103530/csd-tool-assumes-there-are-no-batteries-with-capacity-higher-than-original/?answer=104703#post-id-104703). Someone ran some (prelimenary) tests which suggest that charging the battery with the Jolla phone will overcharge it:

In the worst case, Jolla might charge it until the safety circuit on the battery refuses more, leaving Polarcell slightly overcharged, maybe to about 103% - but to be sure on this, Jolla battery curve needed, that or confirmation that the kernel chart is actually the original battery curve, values not fixed by any other chips/sensors on the phone

... and from another comment:

Until we know more, the best way to avoid negative effect on the battery lifespan is to not charge Polarcell batteries over 97% (checked by value on the lock screen on the phone). Safety circuit preventing dangerous overcharge should work, but even slight overcharge will reduce the lifespan of battery by few months.

I don't know if this is true (since I don't have a Polarcell battery myself), but I'd say it's something to be careful with none the less. Can anyone owning a Polarcell confirm this happens?

javispedro
2015-08-16, 21:47
Can anyone owning a Polarcell confirm this happens?

I'm about to confirm this. For some reason it has "increased" the design voltage from 4.35v to 4.41v and it's still increasing.

Note however the Jolla already indicates 100% at 4.35v.

Will update with the complete log once it stops charging.

At 4.36v already and it's still charging, but now has reduced the design voltage to 4.37v, so I believe it will stop soon.

[BAT] 95( 95, 95.0, 93.9( 93.9) 0.0)v4290(4239)(-218,-212)t253,c -191210, 0(18910)r231,L4142,s10
[ 1539.060185] [BAT]## SOC= 95( 95, 95),4294(4290),A=-195,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1539.061528] [BAT] Internal R 176 mOhm, I1:-99540uA I2:-218022uA V1:4274034uV V2:4294914uV
[ 1641.038394] [BAT]vddmax = 4410 mV
[ 1841.835952] [BAT]## SOC= 95( 95, 95),4303(4299),A=-212,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1870.376865] [BAT] 96( 96, 96.0, 95.0( 95.0) 0.0)v4300(4252)(-208,-208)t253,c -210150, 0(18910)r231,L4142,s10
[ 1870.379825] [BAT]## SOC= 96( 96, 96),4304(4300),A=-207,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2175.053501] [BAT]## SOC= 96( 96, 96),4312(4309),A=-198,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2211.763436] [BAT] 97( 97, 97.0, 95.9( 95.9) 0.0)v4310(4264)(-201,-198)t253,c -229337, 0(18910)r230,L4142,s10
[ 2211.766366] [BAT]## SOC= 97( 97, 97),4314(4310),A=-200,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2518.871783] [BAT]## SOC= 97( 97, 97),4324(4317),A=-228,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2553.122813] [BAT] 98( 98, 98.0, 96.9( 96.6) 0.0)v4313(4278)(-153,-201)t253,c -248032, 0(18910)r230,L4142,s10
[ 2553.125804] [BAT]## SOC= 98( 98, 98),4317(4313),A=-197,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2862.682801] [BAT]## SOC= 98( 98, 98),4329(4329),A=-197,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2904.522783] [BAT] 99( 99, 99.0, 97.4( 97.4) 0.0)v4330(4285)(-193,-193)t253,c -266726, 0(18910)r230,L4142,s10
[ 2904.525743] [BAT]## SOC= 99( 99, 99),4334(4330),A=-192,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3085.243460] [BAT]100(100, 99.5, 97.8( 97.8) 0.0)v4335(4290)(-193,-188)t253,c -276156, 0(18910)r230,L4142,s10
[ 3085.246360] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4339(4335),A=-178,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3387.859392] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4347(4342),A=-190,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3691.050144] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4353(4350),A=-139,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3994.259300] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4353(4359),A=-180,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 4297.446878] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4374(4367),A=-158,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4390(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 4600.616938] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4360(4361),A=-119,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 4793.101235] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Unknown (Real)
[ 4793.101266] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Unknown (AP)
[ 4793.105691] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4355(4361),A=-107,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F00,R08,W0B
[ 4793.109262] [BAT]## STATUS: Unknown -> Charging (Real)
[ 4793.109262] [BAT]## STATUS: Unknown -> Charging (AP)
[ 4793.113931] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4370(4361),A=-040,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W0B

End of charging! The maximum batter voltage was 4.37v, so a bit of overcharging indeed.

[ 4920.996367] eoc_worker: End of Charging
[ 4920.996672] [BAT]eoc_worker, EOC_WAKE_LOCK = 0, End of Charging
[ 4920.996764] [BAT]pm8921_bms_charging_end, eoc_reached
[ 4921.026246] [BAT]## cc_soc 100.7 -> 100.0 (EOC)
[ 4921.026338] [BAT]## CC_ADJUST ## ocv=4142->4344( 202) soc=84.9->101.7 (-356838/16.8=21240) cps=18918->18918 valid=0 t253 (EOC Bypass)
[ 4921.495894] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (Real)
[ 4921.495924] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (AP)
[ 4921.498641] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4370(4345),A=-001,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,1,F01,R08,W39
[ 4923.966365] [BAT]pm_chg_override_hot = 0
[ 4923.966427] [BAT]pm_chg_override_cold = 0
[ 5096.297328] [BAT]## STATUS: Full -> Charging (Real)
[ 5096.297359] [BAT]## STATUS: Full -> Charging (AP)
[ 5096.299678] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (Real)
[ 5096.299678] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (AP)
[ 5096.301479] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4341(4336),A=-001,T=253,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,1,F01,R08,W0

Now trying with the standard battery.

javispedro
2015-08-17, 00:00
Full log with the Jolla battery (from 86% until end of charge).

[ 89.414314] [BAT]## STATUS: Discharging -> Charging (Real)
[ 89.414375] [BAT]## STATUS: Discharging -> Charging (AP)
[ 89.417121] [BAT]## SOC= 85( 86, 86),4074(4089),A=0249,T=311,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W3B
[ 89.423470] [BAT]## SOC= 85( 86, 86),4187(4089),A=-243,T=310,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W3B
[ 89.428200] [BAT] Internal R 285 mOhm, I1:165628uA I2:-188094uA V1:4077594uV V2:4178460uV
[ 109.989287] [BAT]## SOC= 86( 86, 86),4193(4216),A=-225,T=309,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R01,W1B
[ 377.235495] [BAT] 87( 87, 87.0, 90.4( 90.3) 0.0)v4250(4199)(-235,-236)t308,c -10823, 0(18910)r218,L4157,s10
[ 377.238486] [BAT]## SOC= 87( 87, 87),4254(4250),A=-242,T=308,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 668.396245] [BAT] 88( 88, 88.0, 91.6( 91.6) 0.0)v4261(4213)(-222,-222)t307,c -29353, 0(18910)r218,L4157,s10
[ 668.399206] [BAT]## SOC= 88( 88, 88),4295(4261),A=-227,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 969.596215] [BAT] 89( 89, 89.0, 92.5( 92.5) 0.0)v4272(4223)(-223,-223)t306,c -48130, 0(18910)r218,L4157,s10
[ 969.599175] [BAT]## SOC= 89( 89, 89),4281(4272),A=-317,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1275.562276] [BAT]## SOC= 89( 89, 89),4283(4280),A=-204,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1280.876880] [BAT] 90( 90, 90.0, 93.4( 93.4) 0.0)v4277(4233)(-204,-204)t306,c -67071, 0(18910)r218,L4157,s10
[ 1280.879810] [BAT]## SOC= 90( 90, 90),4283(4277),A=-206,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4350(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1540.059117] [BAT]vddmax = 4420 mV
[ 1581.018281] [BAT]## SOC= 90( 90, 90),4291(4289),A=-168,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1602.156874] [BAT] 91( 91, 91.0, 94.6( 94.4) 0.0)v4297(4246)(-237,-218)t306,c -86175, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 1602.159804] [BAT]## SOC= 91( 91, 91),4293(4297),A=-237,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1902.503769] [BAT]## SOC= 91( 91, 91),4296(4300),A=-207,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 1933.476819] [BAT] 92( 92, 92.0, 95.3( 95.3) 0.0)v4300(4255)(-211,-208)t306,c -105362, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 1933.479780] [BAT]## SOC= 92( 92, 92),4303(4300),A=-207,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2555.019563] [BAT]## SOC= 93( 93, 93),4322(4315),A=-180,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2596.116923] [BAT] 94( 94, 94.0, 96.6( 96.6) 0.0)v4316(4273)(-201,-199)t306,c -142669, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 2596.119883] [BAT]## SOC= 94( 94, 94),4349(4316),A=-203,T=304,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2902.797222] [BAT]## SOC= 94( 94, 94),4328(4329),A=-174,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 2947.557698] [BAT] 95( 95, 95.0, 97.5( 97.5) 0.0)v4327(4284)(-197,-197)t306,c -161774, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 2947.560628] [BAT]## SOC= 95( 95, 95),4331(4327),A=-188,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3252.030153] [BAT]## SOC= 95( 95, 95),4338(4334),A=-189,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3298.958217] [BAT] 96( 96, 96.0, 98.4( 98.3) 0.0)v4337(4296)(-190,-192)t305,c -180632, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 3298.961147] [BAT]## SOC= 96( 96, 96),4341(4337),A=-190,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3600.428353] [BAT]## SOC= 96( 96, 96),4330(4345),A=-200,T=306,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3670.478223] [BAT] 97( 97, 97.0, 99.1( 99.0) 0.0)v4336(4305)(-143,-187)t305,c -199737, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 3670.481153] [BAT]## SOC= 97( 97, 97),4348(4336),A=-143,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3951.598229] [BAT]## CV Mode enter, soc=97.7, ibat=-186
[ 3974.278986] [BAT]## SOC= 97( 97, 97),4350(4355),A=-180,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 3991.758217] [BAT]## CV Mode leave, soc=97.7, ibat=-186, cc_soc=97.8->97.7
[ 4092.157606] [BAT]## CV Mode enter, soc=97.9, ibat=-180
[ 4277.479810] [BAT]## SOC= 97( 97, 97),4364(4360),A=-167,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4420(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R00,W1B
[ 4493.758949] [BAT] 98( 98, 99.0,100.6(100.6) 98.0)v4365(4327)(-175,-175)t305,c -240816, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 4493.761879] [BAT]## SOC= 98( 98, 98),4389(4365),A=-191,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4410(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 4794.012024] [BAT]## SOC= 98( 98, 98),4367(4360),A=-138,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 4865.238943] [BAT] 99( 99, 99.8,100.9(100.9) 99.0)v4360(4330)(-139,-139)t305,c -256395, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 4865.241903] [BAT]## SOC= 99( 99, 99),4365(4360),A=-137,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 5167.053623] [BAT]## SOC= 99( 99, 99),4366(4361),A=-121,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 5618.239584] [BAT]100(100,100.1,101.6(101.6)100.0)v4362(4339)(-105,-105)t305,c -281485, 0(18910)r216,L4157,s10
[ 5618.242514] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4366(4362),A=-105,T=305,On=1,0,(1),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,0,F07,R08,W1B
[ 5628.279535] [BAT]## CV Mode leave, soc=97.9, ibat=-180, cc_soc=100.1->100.0
[ 5760.059544] eoc_worker: End of Charging
[ 5760.059849] [BAT]eoc_worker, EOC_WAKE_LOCK = 0, End of Charging
[ 5760.059941] [BAT]pm8921_bms_charging_end, eoc_reached
[ 5760.088905] [BAT]## cc_soc 100.1 -> 100.0 (EOC)
[ 5760.088996] [BAT]## CC_ADJUST ## ocv=4157->4342( 185) soc=86.5->101.8 (-285503/15.3=18660) cps=18918->18892 valid=1 t306 (EOC)
[ 5760.558369] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (Real)
[ 5760.558430] [BAT]## STATUS: Charging -> Full (AP)
[ 5760.561268] [BAT]## SOC=100(100,100),4366(4342),A=0000,T=305,On=1,0,(1 ),USB 500(500),vd=4370(0,0),ib=1000,1,F01,R08,W39
[ 5763.029054] [BAT]pm_chg_override_hot = 0
[ 5763.029115] [BAT]pm_chg_override_cold = 0

Something is really fishy here. Notice the lack of "CV Mode" messages while using the Polarcell. Despite that the actual charging current seems to be the same during the charging period. The battery voltage at end of charge is also 4.37v, not that different from when using the Polarcell. And the maximum voltage at one point is 4.38, even greater than on Polarcell. So not sure if it's overcharging the Polarcell, overcharging the Jolla battery now that I've let it overcharge the Polarcell, doing nothing, or if this is completely normal :)

So cannot confirm anything. Maybe someone can make use of the data.

The benefit of replaceable batteries is that it's not a problem if I ruin one :)

peterleinchen
2015-08-18, 15:07
The Jolla has a user replacable battery?
Pretty un (https://together.jolla.com/question/103530/csd-tool-assumes-there-are-no-batteries-with-capacity-higher-than-original/?comment=105049#comment-105049)-helpful after not being able to deliver more than a handful of those ... :(

ThomasAH
2015-08-18, 17:53
According to a new comment, the observation of the battery overcharging might simply have been a misinterpretation/misobservation:

By later comment by @Giacomo Di Giacomo, this has nothing to do with actual overcharge, as the charging is stopped based on different factor (current)

and (part of) his comment:

All lithium batteries have the same voltages, plus or minus maybe one tenth of a volt. The battery real voltage ranges from about 3.6 V to about 4.4 V. Do not panic for one tenth of a volt of declared nominal voltage. That will only serve to declare a higher energy storage value.

So perhaps there was nothing to be worried about after all... Sorry for the (possible) false alarm guys :)

zenecho
2015-08-24, 12:16

3.8VDC

perfect fit
seems to charge ok

Some (NON-Scientific) feedback two weeks in:

What can I say? It all works without any problems. Did not want to totally flatten battery, so that side not tested. I swapped it out for original battery, no problems. Charging no problems. Usage no problems.

Does in fact seem to be a "genuine" HTC battery, keeps a great charge. As far as I'm concerned its a proper alternative replacement battery

Which one am I using now? not sure would have to look...

VERY VERY Happy <g> :D

hhbbap
2015-08-25, 21:38
Mad prices on ebay for HTC Desire 310 batteries:
£90.68 Polarcell from Germany
£71.14 from Ireland

But more moderate:
Genuine HTC Desire 310 2000mAh Battery - 35H00221-00M - BA S960
£17.95

Ordered myself one from akku-land.de, using the original link.
With this result:
"many thanks for your order. Enclosed you will find our order confirmation.
Unfortunately, we must inform you that the goods you require are currently not available.
Please let us know if you are still interested in a shipment in week number 44 . " :eek:

explit
2015-09-08, 22:54
Mad prices on ebay for HTC Desire 310 batteries:
£90.68 Polarcell from Germany
£71.14 from Ireland

But more moderate:
Genuine HTC Desire 310 2000mAh Battery - 35H00221-00M - BA S960
£17.95

Ordered myself one from akku-land.de, using the original link.

PolarCell costs 12,90 EUR on
eBay.de from wansee-electronic

ste-phan
2015-09-18, 18:32
PolarCell costs 12,90 EUR on
eBay.de from wansee-electronic

Just got one copy in from that shop.

Looks good, quite identical to the Jolla branded one.

It works correctly out of the box (it came charged at over 50%)

Temperature indicator seems to be hovering around 28 degrees. I've read somewhere that this battery is supposedly not providing temp feedback to the OS in a correct way,

If I loose my manhood due to an exploding Jolla in my pocket , I am not sure if I will dare to report to Jolla care or even here, so follow my example on own risk.. :D

EDIT: after a few days of usage, I just forgot this is not the original Jolla battery. Excellent value.

About temperatures: a refrigerator test has shown that indeed the temp reading seems to be incorrect (as in displaying a more or less fixed temperature value and not updating to match real temp).

billranton
2015-11-02, 11:27
Got my polarcell about a week ago. Seems pretty stable so far. I've removed my bus ticket battery padding and had no random reboots. I didn't see a bit jump in capacity at first. Upower was reporting 75% capacity on my 2 year old battery before I switched it, and the Polarcell started at 80%. It seems to have risen since then though, and it now says 86% of design capacity, 6.96806 Wh.

I can't objectively say it lasts longer, but it feels better.

Schturman
2015-11-11, 20:15
My small experience with PolarCell battery...
Preview:
In the last year I have had a many unexpected reboots... From update to update it was less or more..
Tried different tips like a paper, cleaning contacts, trick with pins... But it not really helped... And I still got reboots almost every day and 1-2 in the day in different conditions...

PolarCell battery:
First impression was that phone feels like a new... For now 4 days with the same usage and same conditions like before but without reboots :)
Really like this battery, think to buy additional one as spare if current one going to be my primary battery.

meemorph
2015-11-13, 15:39
Really like this battery...

me too, phone is stable again.

Japsi
2015-11-30, 07:44
Has anyone ordered spare parts for Jolla from following store?
http://www.maxbhi.com/jolla-jolla-spare-parts-and-accessories.html

They are selling also LCD and touch screen and I am wondering if touch screen would include also glass... Did ask it from Live Support but question was too difficult..

ste-phan
2015-11-30, 09:09
A couple of weeks ago, I have rented a car (Citroen). Coupled my Polar Cell Jolla to this USB outlet in the car.

After a while I touched the Jolla and it was much hotter than with my regular charger (mix of Nokia, Jolla, Blackberry left overs).

I suggest to beware of using "any charger" for reasons of thermal protection being suspected to be not totally adequate in the PolarCell case.

TomJac
2015-12-02, 18:59
I have to get an extra battery as well ...
It seems I can now barely can just make it through the day with my battery :-/ I hope Jolla sells an official one but I guess that won't happen :? I could ask the Zendesk but then I would have to sent the phone i guess and don't want to wait that long :P

starghost
2015-12-02, 19:59
A few months ago my beloved Jolla-Phone started to reboot at random times. I was not sure what the reason was, first thought it is a software problem. Then I ordered a new Polarcell Accu from wannsee-electronic in germany (btw in my case a very friendly dealer offering a first class service) via ebay.
Since I use the new battery in my phone it is stable again. No reboots so far. :D
Some words about the capacity: original black jolla battery is now at 7132mWh when fully charged. Polarcell accu started with 7259mWh. After 5 discharge/charge cycles it is now up to 7613mWh. This is really a really nice performance so far.
Hope this post helps other people in need of a replacement battery.

javispedro
2015-12-03, 17:54
I've been using the Polarcell one for almost half a year now, with no side effects that I'm aware of, and definitely better performance than the stock battery (albeit the stock one is probably weared out by now).

vectis
2015-12-27, 11:35
Has anyone ordered spare parts for Jolla from following store?
http://www.maxbhi.com/jolla-jolla-spare-parts-and-accessories.html

They are selling also LCD and touch screen and I am wondering if touch screen would include also glass... Did ask it from Live Support but question was too difficult..

Info gleaned from their facebook page suggests that they do not ship outside of India.

Fuzzillogic
2016-10-31, 21:14
I got hold of an original HTC Desire 310 battery. It seems to work just fine, but when I ran the speaker test in the CSD app, it produced a sound for about 0,5s, and then silence. Reboot, power cycle, nothing mattered, not a single beep was produced by the speaker. I really though the speaker was now broken.

Well, you've guessed it, swapping the battery for the original Jolla, and voila, the speaker works perfectly again. Swapping again, with the HTC battery: no sound.

WHY? HOW?

No seriously, what can cause this? Even with a charger connected it doesn't work, so it doesn't seem to be a shortage of available power. (The battery isn't new)

chilango
2016-11-30, 17:43
Seems that German Company now made a spare battery for Jolla 1
Check it out
http://www.jubatec.net/akkus/handyakkus/jolla/akku-fuer-jolla-smartphone-jp-1301/a-1102/

German quality with 36 month garanty

elastic
2016-11-30, 18:43
Check it out
http://www.jubatec.net/akkus/handyakkus/jolla/akku-fuer-jolla-smartphone-jp-1301/a-1102/

As my polarcell started to loose power I ordered one of these - fits perfect the label says for Jolla 1 and HTC Desire - and on the battery is printed made in China - it looks exactly like the polarcell one so I would say that it's the same battery just with another label ...
But it works as expected ... the polarcell lasted one year before it lost power ... we'll see ...

atlochowski
2017-01-01, 20:26
Hi,
On Polish auction service Allegro it's possible to buy original battery (it looks like original) for Jolla JP-1301. It's cheap, it costs 5EUR.
http://allegro.pl/nowa-oryginalna-bateria-jolla-22b50-jp-1301-fv-gw-i6649316614.html
Seller has 47 batteries.

If someone need spare battery and need help (site is in Polish or need ship abroad) I can help with that.
I have to admit I don't know the seller so I can't guarantee it's original. One Polish guy have bought it and said it looks and work like original.
https://together.jolla.com/question/154396/jolla-one-battery-for-sale/

elastic
2017-01-02, 08:15
As my polarcell started to loose power I ordered one of these - fits perfect the label says for Jolla 1 and HTC Desire - and on the battery is printed made in China - it looks exactly like the polarcell one so I would say that it's the same battery just with another label ...
But it works as expected ... the polarcell lasted one year before it lost power ... we'll see ...

First update
After one month of use I'm still satisfied with this battery - the uptime is a bit longer as with the polarcell one (subjective) and no sudden reboots so far (but that has been the same when I replaced the one year old original with the Polarcell a year ago ... after 6 months the reboots reappeared first every few weeks and after 11 months nearly every second day)
Anyway - one battery per year seems still ok to me at this price level ...

atlochowski
2017-01-11, 18:40
Yesterday I received battery from auction I mentioned in post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1521291&postcount=164
I charged it, measure voltage and it looks like it's original one.

rob_kouw
2017-02-05, 16:49
Yesterday I received battery from auction I mentioned in post http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1521291&postcount=164
I charged it, measure voltage and it looks like it's original one.

atlochowski was kind enough to purchase one of these batteries for me, test it, and send it to me in The Netherlands. I thought a public Thank You! was the least I could do.

Thank You!
Rob

carmenluci
2017-08-01, 07:12
Hi,
On Polish auction service Allegro it's possible to buy original battery (it looks like original) for Jolla JP-1301. It's cheap, it costs 5EUR.
http://allegro.pl/nowa-oryginalna-bateria-jolla-22b50-jp-1301-fv-gw-i6649316614.html
Seller has 47 batteries.

If someone need spare battery and need help (site is in Polish or need ship abroad) I can help with that.
I have to admit I don't know the seller so I can't guarantee it's original. One Polish guy have bought it and said it looks and work like original.
https://together.jolla.com/question/154396/jolla-one-battery-for-sale/

But they don't send outside Poland, right?

insanelysexy
2017-09-10, 16:13
Hi guys,

I am using Gionee M2 battery for my intex Aqua fish. The only issue I am seeing is the inaccurate battery percentage. For instance, it will be correct at 60% and then suddenly shift to 16% with same voltage. If I remove the middle pin (do not connect the wire), the phone works with charge percent constantly at 50% and phone shwoing errors about no charging but it charges !!!

Does anyone know what is the last operating voltage for Aqua fish, like at what voltage it is supposed to be shutdown, so that I can a run a script on voltage and not connect middle pin ???

pichlo
2017-09-11, 05:11
Does anyone know what is the last operating voltage for Aqua fish, like at what voltage it is supposed to be shutdown, so that I can a run a script on voltage and not connect middle pin ???

No idea but...

If you are so keen on writing scripts, why don't you write another one. A cron job to log the current voltage every 5 minutes. Then you will know what the last voltage was before the log stopped.

sally_sally
2017-09-11, 08:59
But they don't send outside Poland, right?

I think they do send outside Poland. I actually think not just Poland but probably Europe as well.

insanelysexy
2017-09-12, 11:53
No idea but...

If you are so keen on writing scripts, why don't you write another one. A cron job to log the current voltage every 5 minutes. Then you will know what the last voltage was before the log stopped.

Good point.

For minimum voltage, i found it to be 3.4V written in file "voltage_min..". But I have seen it go down till 3.2V.

And Battery notification and shutdown seems to work on battery percentage than voltage. If I get 2% battery percent at 3.9v, it will still shutdown.

PS: The problem was due to loose connection between middle pins.

atlochowski
2017-09-12, 12:08
I think they do send outside Poland. I actually think not just Poland but probably Europe as well.

If not, I can help with that.

insanelysexy
2017-09-19, 15:48
Encountered a new problem.

Loose connections is one of the reasons for very frequently varying battery percentages and "recharge battery" notifications.

The other problem with the connected middle pins is : Charging.
I do not understand why, but it gets charged at 3.8V to 3.9V. And discharged at 3.5V. + sudden "voltage percent" drop to 2% at 3.6-3.7V itself. (Good part about drop, it charges at 2A)

As asked, I logged the battery level, when not connected. Under heavy load, it has dropeed till 3.0V and recovered back to 3.3-3.5V, (sometimes consistently on 3.3V). Plus, though it says "not charging", I have been able to charge it 4.1V (I had to keep track of it manually).

Is consistent battery usage at 3.3V bad for battery ?
Do all batteries drop to very low voltages under load ?
Is it bad to charge it to 4.2V? ( it takes about 1.5-2 hours extra after 4.0V)

PS: Could not log it, but I think phone shut off after touching 2.8-9V under heavy load.

carmenluci
2017-09-20, 06:25

I tried to buy it but they send me an email to ask me an address in Poland :(

sally_sally
2017-09-20, 09:23
I tried to buy it but they send me an email to ask me an address in Poland :(

Did you get a solution? Well if not, someone on the comment section seems to be ready to help...my faith in Humanity has been restored. Send him a message mate!

carmenluci
2017-09-20, 11:13
Did you get a solution? Well if not, someone on the comment section seems to be ready to help...my faith in Humanity has been restored. Send him a message mate!

Yes, I've already done, thank you for your interest!!

sally_sally
2017-09-25, 09:41
Yes, I've already done, thank you for your interest!!

Anytime mate. Glad that someone came through!

atlochowski
2017-09-25, 10:00
Tomorrow I will receive batteries for carmenluci and will send them to him.

carmenluci
2017-10-23, 16:03
Tomorrow I will receive batteries for carmenluci and will send them to him.
And I've received them last week ;)

mced
2018-02-13, 05:15
Another one here satisfied with Jubatec Jolla1 battery. Great performance.

Check it out

foufoutos
2018-11-27, 19:49
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PATONA-Battery-B0PA2100-Desire-JP-1301/dp/B01E76X3NI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543335657&sr=8-1&keywords=jolla+phone

Im ok with this ?

pichlo
2018-11-27, 23:21
Probably. I have been using a Desire 310 battery for years after my original Jolla battery puffed up and refused to hold charge. They are a 1:1 replacement.