PDA

View Full Version : Jolla OtherHalf OLED display / toholed

Pages : 1 [2]

Kabouik
2014-03-31, 18:05
I'm apparently the third one in the solar system to have an OLED screen on his Jolla. Feel marvelous too. :') Well maybe the fourth, depends if Kimmo has a numbered version. :o

Anyway, just want to stress that this prototype looks really great. I won't be ashamed at all to show my toholeded-phone to people not interested in smartphones or Jollas (those to which it would be difficult to explain). They likely won't notice it is handmade.

P.S.
Appreciated the sticker with quality control!

kimmoli
2014-03-31, 18:43
Random serial numbers, i did partially assembly 9 PCB's, and then when finalised i forgot to take sequential numbers ...

QC = Quick Check

Kabouik
2014-03-31, 18:49
Random serial numbers, i did partially assembly 9 PCB's, and then when finalised i forgot to take sequential numbers ...

QC = Quick Check

Well, then I'm first. http://forum-images.hardware.fr/icones/redface.gif Well anyway it doesn't matter, I just meant I'm happy to get my hands on a prototype and try it.

kimmoli
2014-03-31, 19:36
Did you get it working? Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment? How it looks/feels? Do you like or hate it? Was it worth of the money? Have already improvement suggestions? Is the display still in correct place? Did it fit the phone? Tried to remove it? Did you like the flyer? Was there Finnish stamps? Hate the derp?
http://www.wallsave.com/wallpapers/1920x1200/lotus-pond/349952/lotus-pond-curious-cat-hd-place-com-349952.jpg
I need to know

nieldk
2014-03-31, 19:50
Yes, Yes, Looks great/feels like a new device, I love it, No - it is woth more, Not yet - but will come, Yes, Yep, No! Qhy? hehe Yes very pleasent greeting, No stamps but a nascine print with Finnish ;) Was there Finnish stamps? I love all and very much that its black :)

Kabouik
2014-03-31, 22:09
Did you get it working?I installed the rpm when toholed was on, and there was light. Then I tried the proximity sensors a bit, it switched the screen off two times on two attempts, perfect behaviour. But after the third attempt, the screen wouldn't light back. I realized unlocking the phone made the oled turn back on. Notifications work too, but when I lock the phone again, the oled screens turns off again.

I got five reboots since I installed the rpm about 4 hours ago, following symptoms like sluggish performance and then Jolla frozen in lock state.

When the phone reboots, the oled lights again, but will be turned off when the main screen is locked (either by power button, swipe down, or patience).

Basically it sounds like a problem with the proximity sensor because:
- oled lights when main screen lights, which I guess is normal behavior regardless of toholed proximity sensor state;
- when on, putting my finger on the proximity sensor doesn't change anything, which I guess is expected because the main screen is on when I can do this test.

I've checked that no dust was stuck on it, and I think it is clean. Any command I can run to test the sensor?

Restarting the service did not help, reinstalling did not either.

Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment?
Yes!

How it looks/feels?
Already said that above, it's awesome. As Nieldk just said, it feels like a new device. The tactile feeling of the plastic is also better than expected, and so is print quality.

Do you like or hate it?
Stupid question.

Was it worth of the money?
Stupid question too.

Have already improvement suggestions?
Not yet, but will definitely follow the thread for a while.

Is the display still in correct place?
Sure it is!

Did it fit the phone? Tried to remove it?
Yes, yes but just to confirm I need nails.

Did you like the flyer?
Very much, nice addition to the package.

Was there Finnish stamps?
Oh crap I don't remember. I don't think so, I would have noticed.

Hate the derp?
Love the derp.

P.S.
Kimmoli, please let me know if you want me not to discuss here, publicly, the issues I have encountered, and I'll edit my message. I didn't know if I should, but as you just asked if we got the toholed working, here I am!

P.P.S.
Oh and for those waiting for their toholed: please note that the issues encountered might very much be caused by a conflict with something else on my Jolla, not toholed by itself, as Nieldk seems to have no issues so far. And for a prototype, I'm really happy with it. It's meant to solve issues, but from what I've seen before the bugs happened, it was already quite useable/useful.

Bundyo
2014-04-01, 04:15
On the contrary I don't get Kabouik issues - no reboots and no slow downs. However the proximity sensor doesn't wake up the oled every time as he said (though most times it works, sometimes with a bit of delay).

Did you get it working?
Yep, no problems there.

Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment?
Yes, seems no one sat on it :)

How it looks/feels?
Looks great, feels like plastic :D Could be a bit thinner or you could stash a wireless charger in there too :)

Do you like or hate it?
Like it!

Was it worth of the money?
Yup.

Have already improvement suggestions?
Yup.

Is the display still in correct place?
Yup. :) It looks kind of fragile to me, since I usually fetch the phone from my pocket with two fingers on both sides and they usually rest on that place when I pull it. Until now I mean :)

Did it fit the phone?
Like a glove.

Tried to remove it?
Immediately :)

Did you like the flyer?
Nice touch :)

Was there Finnish stamps?
Didn't notice one.

Hate the derp?
Not yet :)

juiceme
2014-04-01, 04:49
There's one minor question that's bothering me; Is it possible to get it in different colours? :eek:

I just love my PoppyRedFirstOne, and it is actually the only one I ever use, orange is just so beautiful on black.... and besids, it is the team colour of my floorball gang :D

kimmoli
2014-04-01, 05:08
Lots of text

URGENT

You need to disable TOHKBD daemon when using TOHOLED and way around too. These will fight about the I2C bus and other controls, and for sure may cause reboots and other malfunctions described by Kabouik.

systemctl stop tohkbd.service
systemctl disable tohkbd.service
systemctl enable toholed.service
systemctl start toholed.service

systemctl stop toholed.service
systemctl disable toholed.service
systemctl enable tohkbd.service
systemctl start tohkbd.service

And now i wish dirkvl would have put that EEPROM there, i did make some udevrules to start and stop daemons as needed based on EEPROM content. But maybe those can be done by NFC too.
(needs that TOH-switch-dimple on toh)

kimmoli
2014-04-01, 05:11
The proximity sensor interrupt does not wake the phone itself.
This is known limitation of current kernel. I hope this will fixed (at least method to select so) in upcoming updates.
The front proximity wakes the phone, so when you "pull it out from pocket" it most oftern wakes the phone, and oled proximity gets served too.

nieldk
2014-04-01, 06:10
Just to say, I have no issues described here, reboots etc.
Using i2c probe shows green at adresses 39, 3c and 50 here

andreas1
2014-04-01, 06:23
Can anyone who received the OOH post "high-res" picture(s) of it?
Much of appreciation if so.

xkkkx
2014-04-02, 20:07
Did you get it working? Did packing survive lightning-fast shipment? How it looks/feels? Do you like or hate it? Was it worth of the money? Have already improvement suggestions? Is the display still in correct place? Did it fit the phone? Tried to remove it? Did you like the flyer? Was there Finnish stamps? Hate the derp?

Yes, it works, it feels very decent, fits really nicely, I like it! No problems with the packing (no Finnish stamps), nor with the operation. It was worth the money. However, the next time without the derp please...

the original pic can be found here (http://t.co/KmeKCSt4ch)

dirkvl
2014-04-02, 20:26
the next time without the derp please...
[/URL]

you also have ordered a macbook without apple logo?

xkkkx
2014-04-02, 20:30
you also have ordered a macbook without apple logo?

No, I have no macbook :rolleyes: this is exactly the difference - to have at least the possibility to express wishes (which might even be taken into account in case of "custom" production as opposed to commercial mainstream production)

kimmoli
2014-04-02, 22:30
However, the next time without the derp please...

You will have it w/o derp... but you have to live with it for a while :)

Kabouik
2014-04-02, 23:56
All my issues were apparently caused by a conflict with the service from tohkbd, thanks a lot Kimmoli for prompt reaction and perfect solution. Works like a charm now.

Oh and I love the derp, will take it again for the final product anyway, but I think you were definitely right not to offer the choice at this prototype testing stage.

tiempjuuh
2014-04-03, 05:27
Now I read this all I can hardly wait for the second batch! :D

(Voted yes, but it could have a bottle opener too just because it was funny. Never realised it resulted in a lower place in the queue. :( )

tommo
2014-04-03, 07:02
Now I read this all I can hardly wait for the second batch! :D

(Voted yes, but it could have a bottle opener too just because it was funny. Never realised it resulted in a lower place in the queue. :( )

same here, but i was secretly hoping for a bottle opener :D

nieldk
2014-04-03, 07:26
same here, but i was secretly hoping for a bottle opener :D

At least this would make a great use of a somewhat otherwise useless device :P

kimmoli
2014-04-03, 11:19
Progress update --> http://t.co/cIgvKfYPd0

Now i can focus on the plastic part.

Kabouik
2014-04-05, 00:31
Can anyone who received the OOH post "high-res" picture(s) of it?
Much of appreciation if so.
Here are a few pics:

http://reho.st/http://i.imgur.com/MguaMQp.jpg
http://reho.st/http://i.imgur.com/jNKAjQ9.jpg
http://reho.st/http://i.imgur.com/PJs3pzC.jpg

Light is not good to appreciate the plastics on the pictures, but toholed is in my opinion very usable in everyday life without people looking at your weird phone. I don't hesitate to put it upside down on the table during meetings. The "non-smooth" appearance is actually smoother than expected, and the lines in the plastic are shallow and way less ugly in reality than I thought they would be when I saw pictures. Total thickness is in the acceptable range.

kimmoli
2014-04-06, 09:13
Newly added feature https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHJ-OD4h5Ow

Kabouik
2014-04-06, 18:00
Possible additional feature like this would be to display the number of unread notifications for each type, like in the Notification screen of Sailfish: 5 emails, 2 SMS, 4 IRC highlights, and so on.

It may perhaps require decreasing clock size, so that the numbers could be displayed above the corresponding icons. And perhaps that could be optional for people prefering large clock. The clock font could be changed for something wider (smaller in height, but still using 100% of the screen width).

For me, it would be very useful. I often have unread notifications, but I keep track in my mind of how many there were the last time I checked, so if toholed tells me I have 5 email notifications instead of 4 previously, I know there is something new at first glance.

kimmoli
2014-04-06, 18:15
Possible additional feature like this would be to display the number of unread notifications for each type, like in the Notification screen of Sailfish: 5 emails, 2 SMS, 4 IRC highlights, and so on.

I have been thinking about this too, but not implemented it due for the limited space on the display.

Easy: I can keep count on SMS and Calls, IRC provides this number already in the dbus signal.

Difficult: Email is atm the most problematic of them all (even to get the notification in first place) - but might be doable.

Tweetian is no-can-do without change in tweetian itself.

I was also considering to order icons in arrival-order, right one being the newest (instead of fixed location as they now have)
Assuming rarely having them all at same time (?) it could be done so that number is shown next to the icon when there is more than 1 of that type.

Have to think.

sombrer0
2014-04-06, 22:46
maybe change the icon to numbers when there are more than one unread? just important to keep the position of icons/numbers

Wonko
2014-04-07, 07:45
Difficult: Email is atm the most problematic of them all (even to get the notification in first place) - but might be doable.
Fwiw, in the following thread, in post #15, I wrote a short note about my findings with respect to that one:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92976&page=2

In a nutshell, this hack allows to receive notifications from dbus that are sent via the org.freedesktop.Notifications Notify method.

Otoh, this is a really dirty hack and I think it requires to eavesdrop (Actually, I didn't test without it due to lack of time.) on the session bus.
Right now, eavesdropping on the session bus is possible but I don't know if that may change in the future.

If you want to have a look at the code this is the *.cpp file:
https://github.com/ruedigergad/SkippingStones/blob/master/dbusofonoadapter.cpp

However, as said, this was done very much in a rush and thus the whole code is likely to be very crude and hackish.
Edit: I even re-used a pre-existing class that was intended for pretty much different purposes and thus the classname is also very much misleading.

kimmoli
2014-04-07, 08:07
Otoh, this is a really dirty hack and I think it requires to eavesdrop ...

Nothing beats dirty hacks...(except well documented) thanks, i will take a look at this. (quick look - seems doable)

Current implementation'ish : Everytime the clock is updated (and new email icon is not already active), i ask from notification system does messageserver5 have any existing messages. If it return non-empty array there is new email(s).
I also monitor signal sync_completed from asdaemon (exchange) and 5 sec after that check that array from notification system.

nieldk
2014-04-07, 08:31
Nothing beats dirty hacks...(except well documented) thanks, i will take a look at this. (quick look - seems doable)

Current implementation'ish : Everytime the clock is updated (and new email icon is not already active), i ask from notification system does messageserver5 have any existing messages. If it return non-empty array there is new email(s).
I also monitor signal sync_completed from asdaemon (exchange) and 5 sec after that check that array from notification system.

So far, no major issues. It seems that the TOHOLED is not fond of laying in the pocket for a longer period of time. The display will turn off, and a restart of phone is needed to enable it again. No reboots or other fails.

One suggestion. Like Twitter, is it possible to use Friends for notifications from FB ?
I would in the long-term like to see Twitter, FB and also Linkedin notifications. Perhaps is also possible to add number of notifications by rearranging the clock and icons? Might be that the date can find room also then ;)

Like this

+-------------+------------------+
| CLOCK | mail (#) |
| DATE | Twitter (#) |
| Charge | FB (#) |
| Batt | LI (#) |
+-------------+------------------+

kimmoli
2014-04-07, 09:08
So far, no major issues. It seems that the TOHOLED is not fond of laying in the pocket for a longer period of time. The display will turn off, and a restart of phone is needed to enable it again. No reboots or other fails.

First define "longer period" ?

Display should turn off when inserted to pocket, but it should wake up when proximity is cleared - does this work with "shorter periods" in your pocket?

Do you have leather pants? :cool: Noticed that the proximity sensor has difficulties to detect black leather...

Have you tried to systemctl restart toholed.service ?

Can you provide me some journals via email ?

nieldk
2014-04-07, 09:13
First define "longer period" ?

Display should turn off when inserted to pocket, but it should wake up when proximity is cleared - does this work with "shorter periods" in your pocket?

Do you have leather pants? :cool: Noticed that the proximity sensor has difficulties to detect black leather...

Have you tried to systemctl restart toholed.service ?

Can you provide me some journals via email ?

Well, the restart seems to not do it when this happens.
And by 'longer period', I mean hours. It works quite well under normal circumstances (eg not in pocket) - but staying in the pocket for hours - not up - makes it not reactivate the display.
Not a major issue at all, so dont prioritize it :)
Just me I think, being on planes for the last weeks almost constantly LOL

kimmoli
2014-04-07, 10:48
Well, the restart seems to not do it when this happens.

Next time, try following;
Remove toholed for 1 minute and reconnect

Not a major issue at all, so dont prioritize it :)

For me this is matter of life and death :eek:

I was thinking could this be caused by hardware connection break between toh and phone, which might get the proximity sensor to reset, and thus loose configuration (and it will not generate interrupt from proximity clear and therefore not wakeup the display), but restart should reconfigure it. Unless the display controller itself gets so messed up that it refuses to show anything.

Updated HW has better reset circuitry, and i have to make some detections to the daemon to see is the display and proximity/ALS sensor still in good mood.

(And repeating me - journal could be very helpful)

nieldk
2014-04-07, 11:05
Next time, try following;
Remove toholed for 1 minute and reconnect

For me this is matter of life and death :eek:

I was thinking could this be caused by hardware connection break between toh and phone, which might get the proximity sensor to reset, and thus loose configuration (and it will not generate interrupt from proximity clear and therefore not wakeup the display), but restart should reconfigure it. Unless the display controller itself gets so messed up that it refuses to show anything.

Updated HW has better reset circuitry, and i have to make some detections to the daemon to see is the display and proximity/ALS sensor still in good mood.

Sure, I will provide the journeyctl output next time it happens (didnt happen today so far) - at the moment the journey log is quite short as for toholed.

Apr 07 11:50:56 localhost toholed[1060]: Interrupt: Proximity cleared: ALS
Apr 07 11:51:01 localhost toholed[1060]: Time now: 11:51 Battery: 83%
Apr 07 11:51:29 localhost toholed[1060]: Interrupt: Proximity detect: ALS
Apr 07 11:51:29 localhost toholed[1060]: Interrupt: Proximity cleared: ALS
Apr 07 11:51:31 localhost toholed[1060]: Interrupt: Proximity detect: ALS

nieldk
2014-04-07, 18:14

Complete, verbose log mailed :)
Also, stopping and then starting the service does the trick. Didnt need to remove TOH

kimmoli
2014-04-07, 18:31
ok. thanks for the very verbose log... (just plain journal is enough...)

weird...

In the log you sent me there is no single proximity interrupt...
Even after the restart there is none.

Does the display blank when you place finger over the sensor on right side of the oled, and come back active when removing?
Note, it works better if phone is active, not so well when it sleeps.

I'll add some more diagnostics tomorrow evening.

nieldk
2014-04-07, 18:35
yes, proximity is working good

carmenluci
2014-04-29, 07:24
I like this TOH, it's very nice! How can I get one?

kimmoli
2014-04-30, 06:12
Any feedback from first-ones ? It has been akwardly silent ...

Bundyo
2014-04-30, 11:33
Mine has been working great, except the refresh rate :( Is there absolutely no way this to be fixed/avoided/worked around? :) Other than that, I had a bit of a release lately and will try to give more feedback during the next 6 holidays here (they start tomorrow).

One problem was a clash between toholed and tohkbd which resulted in a huge memory leak just after restart (in toholed) and Jolla dying in several minutes. Quick work with Terminal and managed to deinstall tohkbd to avoid it.

kimmoli
2014-04-30, 11:48
Mine has been working great, except the refresh rate :( Is there absolutely no way this to be fixed/avoided/worked around? :)
I haven't found anything that would improve it.
Possible to do this is redesign hardware to use 3.3V for the display logic, and extrernal I2C level converter - If the internal oscillator has some relation to supply voltage.

... during the next 6 holidays here (they start tomorrow).
happy holidays!

One problem was a clash between toholed and tohkbd which resulted in a huge memory leak just after restart (in toholed) and Jolla dying in several minutes. Quick work with Terminal and managed to deinstall tohkbd to avoid it.
Yep. I'm author of both softwares, and i have some plans to detect what is connected - it would be easier if dirkvl would have put eeprom on the tohkbd. Now seems that i have to make some detection to NFC side, and it seems that i have to store all TOH ID's in the daemons - which sux. Unless those TOH ID's are registered through Jolla, and i get some "name" through the store or something.

kimmoli
2014-05-12, 12:44
quick update: Testing shapeways "print-it anyway!" pilot...

sombrer0
2014-05-21, 05:15
So excited about this project being wrapped up. Any ETA?

kimmoli
2014-05-21, 06:08
Two print facilities under testing atm, shapeways should send 29th May - but they ship with some ultra-slow service.

So actually no ETA available...

Kabouik
2014-05-23, 23:54
Any feedback from first-ones ? It has been akwardly silent ...

Nothing to add really! Your toholed is still my everyday OH since I've received it. I have the keyboard too but it is more prototype-ish at the moment (I have a key that needs a fix, but the software is not as polished as the toholed's one). The toholed is not very bulky either, so it's on my Jolla permanently.

As already discussed, a way to view the number of each notification would be very nice, or even an application to chose what to display.

Nothing will make me remove the toholed from my Jolla yet, and the only candidates are: final toholed, toheink, tohkb2. :p

kimmoli
2014-05-27, 09:51
Ok, now i just need to wait to catch-up the future :)

Items we made in the future are now on their way to you!

This shipment includes the following items:
• 1 x Otherhalf 4-10 in Hot Pink Strong & Flexible Polished
• 1 x Otherhalf 4-10 in Black Strong & Flexible
• 1 x Otherhalf 4-10 in Royal Blue Strong & Flexible Polished

kimmoli
2014-06-02, 10:32
So they weren't printed so far in the future...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQ6ga_llnD0/U4xSgwI-56I/AAAAAAAAHLU/4wHVGlya1ds/w2210-h1246-no/20140602_002.jpg

dirkvl
2014-06-02, 10:42
So they weren't printed so far in the future...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQ6ga_llnD0/U4xSgwI-56I/AAAAAAAAHLU/4wHVGlya1ds/w2210-h1246-no/20140602_002.jpg

http://art.ngfiles.com/images/286000/286819_stealthynine_it-s-glorious.png

shinchim0
2014-06-06, 13:53
sorry for my silly question:

I know it is grey screen, but can it show as camera display ? (I mean use the TOHOLED screen display for selfie photo shoot with the 8 megapix main camera)

kimmoli
2014-06-06, 14:09
I know it is grey screen, but can it show as camera display ? (I mean use the TOHOLED screen display for selfie photo shoot with the 8 megapix main camera)

my problem is that i only know how to answer yes.

It is possible to send mono-bmp over dbus to the display already, so basically need to capture viewfinder, make some dithering and scaling, and convert to 2-color bmp of 8 kilopix...

this is what you might see from the display:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yXYlVgw6q7E/U5HK86gWjTI/AAAAAAAAHMc/UVD32c0x3p0/w93-h49-no/stubb.png

But shorter time to market is this: http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Autoilu---MP/Autotarvikkeet/Peilit/Peilikalvo-leikattava-33710/
(sorry in Finnish but ... )

Maybe dirkvl can help with custom selfie-mirror-TOH :)

egnat69
2014-06-17, 09:00
not a too bad idea tbh... but sales will only start to rise once kiddies buy jolla phones ... maybe jolla itself should bundle such a TOH with the phone and market as Jolla - Limited-Selfie-Edition :D

nieldk
2014-06-17, 09:26
my problem is that i only know how to answer yes.

It is possible to send mono-bmp over dbus to the display already, so basically need to capture viewfinder, make some dithering and scaling, and convert to 2-color bmp of 8 kilopix...

this is what you might see from the display:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yXYlVgw6q7E/U5HK86gWjTI/AAAAAAAAHMc/UVD32c0x3p0/w93-h49-no/stubb.png

But shorter time to market is this: http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Autoilu---MP/Autotarvikkeet/Peilit/Peilikalvo-leikattava-33710/
(sorry in Finnish but ... )

LOL at least the wife wouldnt be able to identify who is on the screen ;P

kimmoli
2014-06-18, 06:53
NEWS

Next week i'm having some summer (really, in Finland?) holiday, and time to start taking in details from you who want TOHOLED.

I have now done some "endurance" testing with the Shapeways printed parts, and at first they feeled like .. hmm... coarse, but the surface seems to get polished on daily use. Not the perfect solution, but accepted by QA team (read: me)

So, first-ones, prepare to receive some pm.

:p

kimmoli
2014-06-25, 08:41
"Invitations" to 40 people has been sent, so far i have heard only 50% of you.

juiceme
2014-06-25, 10:53

Might be they are on summer leave too...?

d0n_Egg1
2014-06-25, 11:39

are you going to wait until everyone has replied you? or do you produce like "first come first served"? (after your holiday of course) :)

kimmoli
2014-06-30, 23:33
ok, Fitbi - I can't PM you, but seems you can PM me.
Please send me email address etc. other contact means.

foobarbaz
2014-07-17, 23:16
Looks like I can neither send nor recieve PMs :-/

xgoan
2014-07-18, 07:51
I need this TOH!!! :)

fitbi
2014-07-21, 07:04
Same situation as foobarbaz, can't send nor recieve PMs...

I would really love to get my hands on one of your OLED TOH for my first one! :)

Rauha
2014-08-05, 13:41
Mine arrived today. Its absolutely great.

Kimmolle kiitoksia nin vaan maan perkeleesti!

xgoan
2014-08-08, 14:10
Just received mine, but... Where is the software?

kimmoli
2014-08-08, 14:17
> Just attach the toholed to phone, and it will install automaticallly.
>
> If you habe tohd disabled due the early battery drain issues, you need to re-enable it.

xgoan
2014-08-08, 14:19
[root@Jolla nemo]# systemctl status tohd.service
tohd.service - The Other Half Daemon (TOHD)
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tohd.service; disabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2014-08-08 16:16:57 CEST; 2min 16s ago
Main PID: 2727 (tohd)
CGroup: /system.slice/tohd.service
└─2727 /usr/sbin/tohd

Aug 08 16:16:57 Jolla systemd[1]: Started The Other Half Daemon (TOHD).
Aug 08 16:17:24 Jolla tohd[2727]: timeout; terminating discovery
Aug 08 16:18:28 Jolla systemd[1]: Started The Other Half Daemon (TOHD).
Aug 08 16:18:58 Jolla tohd[2727]: timeout; terminating discovery

kimmoli
2014-08-08, 14:23
hmm. insert to upper edge first, and finally the bottom right corner so the microswitch is pressed last.

does your standard jolla toh work?
do you hear the sound?
do you see tohid in about device page?

xgoan
2014-08-08, 14:26
No, any TOH plug does nothing and timeouts the daemon.

kimmoli
2014-08-08, 14:29
uh, duplicate.debugging :)

then first try to get the jolla toh working properly.
there was similar issues with one other, i'll check irc backlogs when i get back to home.

xgoan
2014-08-08, 14:30
uh, duplicate.debugging :)

then first try to get the jolla toh working properly.
there was similar issues with one other, i'll check irc backlogs when i get back to home.

Ok, thank you :)

kimmoli
2014-08-08, 15:59
those issues were fixed by rebooting and retrying.
propably NFC is not read properly.

trying to install toh like i described, bend it a little so that nfc id is close (pressed against) phone, and then snap the rest of it in place.

xgoan
2014-08-08, 16:16
nothing happens. I tried it a lot of times. The First One OH is not working :(

kimmoli
2014-08-08, 16:58
Can you check that the toh-event is given when you insert/remove toh

cat /proc/interrupts | grep toh

That number should increase

EyeVisions
2014-08-12, 16:28
Yohooo Yeaaahhh

Mine tohled received today! wouw it looks incredible! what a build quality!

Works like a charm :D

BIG THX Kimmo

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

eekkelund
2014-08-12, 18:26
Got mine on last friday!! I love the colour and its working better than i could ever think :)
Thanks a lot Kimmo! :3

haliava
2014-08-13, 07:29
Use it for three weeks now. It's great just as a cover with nice velvet look and touch feel - and that display just makes the phone a really unique piece.

Yes, thank you Kimmo.

Rauha
2014-08-13, 09:19
The quality of the plastic was a really pleasent suprise for me. Looks great and actually feels better on the hand than the official TOHs from Jolla.

EDIT: Altough it doesn't feel as good as my Lastu TOH.

TOHOLED + Lastu....hmmm.

kimmoli
2014-08-13, 12:47
TOHOLED + Lastu....hmmm.

You mean something like this ?

https://twitter.com/LiKimmo/status/494430065967783936/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtyRhjjIQAA9rz3.jpg:large

MacManus
2014-08-13, 17:36
I can't send you a message.
But - do you have any of the TOHOLED left?
I really like the idea and want to buy one.

kimmoli
2014-08-13, 17:37
TOHOLED is now sold out.

Stauy tuned for next version.

Tualatin
2014-08-18, 09:53
TOHOLED is now sold out.

Stauy tuned for next version.

Will it be soon??? :) Jolla came to Kazakhstan few weeks ago...

yabush
2014-08-18, 19:41
Can you check that the toh-event is given when you insert/remove toh

That number should increase

yes indeed.
I have the same problem too.

LAAK1
2014-09-19, 06:35
There seems to be an major increase in battery consumption using OHOLED, any other experience the same issue?

kimmoli
2014-09-19, 06:57
There seems to be an major increase in battery consumption using OHOLED, any other experience the same issue?

These are my results, if you notice something different there might be something wrong.

http://kimmoli.tumblr.com/post/93509391153/toholed-battery-consumption

rooster13
2014-09-19, 09:04

Haven't noticed any battery drain.

The only thing eating battery is the damn Android layer. Hate it, can't live without it...

kimmoli
2014-09-19, 09:27
http://talk.maemo.org/images/icons/icon4.gif And as important reminder, if you have TOHKBD, please stop and disable that service !

systemctl stop tohkbd
systemctl disable tohkbd

Not doing this will cause your phone to reboot randomly.

droll
2014-09-19, 14:31
feeling so jealous now of those who have this cover. arrgh. can't wait to get my hands on it...when when when :)

sorry, no pressure, kimmoli :)

gapintheclouds
2014-09-23, 10:38
Hi kimmoli,

This looks great. Sorry I missed the sale of these. I saw the review on jollausers.com. Looking forward to the next version.

Cheers,

gapintheclouds

gapintheclouds
2014-09-23, 11:25
I saw the review on the jollausers.com website. This is a great project :). I look forward to the next version.

Cheers.

kimmoli
2014-09-28, 15:18
UPDATE OUT Version 0.2.19

Changelog (currently implemented stuff)

Silent symbol (this is toggled every 30sec with charging symbol (if muted and charged at the same time) Not shown if battery at 100%
Notification of Instant messages (google, facebook etc.)
Notification of integrated twitter mentions (or something)
Notification of irssi-mqtt-push-notifications (https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Middleware/PushNotifications)
Improved new email notification
Display blinking when alarm or calendar reminder goes on
Network status 2G/3G/4G/wifi/Bluetooth (Shown only if no other notifications)
Reinitialisation in case of connection break (check done when phones own display goes active)
Option to disable oled when main display is active
Analog clock face
Improved dbus-drawing interface see here (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1441825&postcount=341)
Settings UI (separate application to select: Blink, Proximity, Auto brightness, Off when phone display on, Analog clock)

Planned todo, next version:

Bug fixies
Notification symbols/network symbols with analog clock face

rooster13
2014-09-28, 17:01
This is good news! Kiitos kimmoli.

kimmoli
2014-10-03, 11:15
Debugging TOH attach/detach issues:

ps -A | grep toh
systemctl | grep toh
dbus-monitor --system "path=/com/jolla/tohd"

After last command, detach and attach TOH, wait for output

kimmoli
2014-10-03, 19:01
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/XZf1tiaHBpC1x-RAyl4XGYF7cZXG-9R1ph4uTPJ6NwA=w1436-h800-no
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-69wA4A9NBeA/VC77BYk8oMI/AAAAAAAAH4g/kBPk-CIkcck/w455-h809-no/tohosettings.png

kimmoli
2014-10-04, 11:03
Toholed dbus-drawing interface in 0.3.0 version:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.kimmoli.toholed / com.kimmoli.toholed.draw

Following arguments are supported:

Lock to drawing mode: string:"lock" boolean:true/false string:"appname"
Lock is released every 30 sec, so you need to refresh lock.

Clear screen: string:"clear"

Invert display or change to normal: string:"invert" boolean:true/false

Draw single pixel at x,y: string:"pixel" int32:x int32:y {int32:color}
Note: color is optional: 0=black, 1=white, default is white.

Draw circle, center x,y with r radius: string:"circle" int32:x int32:y int32:r {int32:color}

Draw line from x0,y0 to x1,y1: string:"line" int32:x0 int32:y0 int32:x1 int32:y1 {int32:color}

OBSOLETE in 0.3.0 Draw bitmap to x0,y0: string:"bitmap" int32:x int32:y array:byte:0x42,0x4d,...

Draw time text with chars "1234567890:" and space to x,y: string:"time" int32:x int32:y string:"::1"

Draw numbers with small font to x,y: string:"smalltext" int32:x int32:y string:"123%"

Draw analog clock: string:"clock" int32:hours int32:minutes {boolean:clear}
clear can be used for non-flickering update of display

and last one: string:"derp"

Picture drawing interface :
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.kimmoli.toholed / com.kimmoli.toholed.drawPicture int32:x int32:y bytearray:data

This will accept picture, PNG, BMP, JPG as data payload.
Color pictures will be automatically reduced to 2-bits with rule qGray()>127.
Supports also transparent. Pixel is drawn only if qAlpha()>127

e.g. 2miich app uses this, it draws mono-png images and sends them over dbus.
see https://github.com/inzanity/2miich/blob/master/src/oledify.cpp
and https://github.com/inzanity/2miich/blob/master/qml/pages/ScoresPage.qml#L98
and https://github.com/inzanity/2miich/blob/master/qml/helpers/Toholed.qml

kimmoli
2014-10-09, 19:52
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE is out in harbour !!! Version 0.2.19

Uninstall old version --> Store -> My apps -> Toholed -> uninstall

Re-attach toholed, it asks to install -> (+) INSTALL

If your NFC is broken, and have installed manually, please email/PM me, so i provide links for RPM's (yes, two: daemon and settings-app)

kimmoli
2014-10-10, 13:03
Bug:

silent profile indicator may get triggered incorectly when changing ambiance or master ringer volume.

Affected version 0.2.19
Fix version 0.2.20

kimmoli
2014-10-10, 18:19
Bug:

Communi-IRC highlights just blink screen, no # symbol drawn.

Affected version 0.2.19
Fix version 0.2.20

kimmoli
2014-10-10, 19:52
Bug:

SMS notification on toholed even when message-stream is open. Annoying to get cleared.

Affects version: *
Fix version 0.2.21

Tsippaduida
2014-10-13, 10:09
Uninstall old version --> Store -> My apps -> Toholed -> uninstall

Re-attach toholed, it asks to install -> (+) INSTALL

Great. My Jolla notified me that there is an update to Toholed, but I was not able to install it. Jolla said something like "problem in store". So I came here at tmo, and presto! All is well.

Tsippaduida
2014-10-14, 11:17
I see also Bluetooth symbol, haven't noticed it before. Email notifications work better now. previously sometimes I did not see notification even though phone otherwise reported about new mail.

I kinda like the analog display, but that seems to be eating screen estate so that I lose some of the symbols (network, Bluetooth). I can live with this. I usually know when I have Bluetooth enabled but sometimes it might be useful to see whether it is connected or not.

Settings UI is a really nice touch. Toholed has matured so far that you can add just about anything and the only thing needing consideration is the usefulness of the new feature.

Screenshot-mode is a really nice idea! I was able to show of to my colleagues.

kimmoli
2014-10-14, 12:27
Analog clock with notifications and network symbols in next update.
also some other maybe not so usefull featureggs...

kimmoli
2014-10-22, 11:34
Version 0.3.0 available
get it from store, or from merobs repo

rooster13
2014-10-22, 12:03
Update smooth as hell!
Really nice update, Thank you, Kiitos!

Tsippaduida
2014-10-24, 08:17
Update to 0.30 went smoothly. I have now Uitukka on this Jolla, Toholed seems to be still working).

kimmoli
2014-10-24, 08:33
Updated the drawing interface;

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1441825&postcount=341

The picture upload method now supports PNG (and other formats), so adding toholed support to yout own app is now "easy".

tiempjuuh
2014-11-07, 20:23
My OH is getting somewhat dirty, so could you maybe upload the stl files so I can order a new OH backplate from shapeways? Is it easy to remove the electronics from the backplate?

kimmoli
2014-11-08, 10:09
You can order "No engravings" version in any color now from shapeways; http://shpws.me/xEsZ

(For some unknown reason shapeways did enable only black and polished white for other versions with text and/or derp - so i didn't put them for sale at all)

tiempjuuh
2014-11-08, 10:18
I'd actually prefer the version with engravings... :D

So how did you manage to print it in yellow if shapeways doesn't accept it?

kimmoli
2014-11-08, 10:36
They accept it for print by me, but not for sale in that shop.
I'll check is there anything i can do.

btw, changing the electronics to another printed part is "easy". But propably you need to have new thin doublesided tape.
I use 3M 468MP

Adhesive tape is on three places, on left and right edges of pcb,
and on the OLED display flex-cable end. 3 pieces of about ~3x10mm
Lower end of OLED is attached by few pegs.
There is additionally black thicker tape piece between ALS and IR led.

1. Pop the OLED up from the pegs, bend 3d print a little and press display in.
2. Pull OLED display slowly up - now you see where double-sided tape is, you can bend it "alot" against the flex cable (avoid 90 degrees)
2b. Double sided tape seems to give up when slowly applying force to it.
2c. That doiuble sided tape and piece of black tape (which is on OLED glass) may be left of printed part. No worries.
3. Now start lifting the PCB slowly, avoid bending the PCB too much, find alternative positions to lift it if it does bend too much.

Check that the black piece is between ALS and IR sensor

Replace the other double-sided tape pieces.

1. Place the PCB + OLED in the new print, PCB against top edge and OLED below pegs.
2. Do not press with force, just so far that you can check that IR led is aligned in middle of the larger hole. Adjust pcb position (propably against another edge)
3. Apply pressure to the double-sided tapes for few secs.

kimmoli
2014-11-08, 10:53
Had to re-upload the model...
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kimmoli

kimmoli
2014-11-08, 11:04
Ok,
Time to make 50 more TOHOLEDs.

I will go through TMO private message and twitter, and send personal invitation link.

Due my limited time, this will be as is. Unfortunately no additional features.

droll
2014-11-10, 01:47
awesome news!!

Quaddy
2014-11-12, 06:47
what was the price for toholed? - tnx

kimmoli
2014-12-08, 21:34
This batch almost complete.
Shipping hopefully on wednesday 10.12.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4XQMq3CIAEeTkD.jpg:large

Rauha
2014-12-09, 09:01
While updating I was getting error messages from the store. So I thought I'll try unsinstalling and then reinstalling from the store.

But now the phone doesn't seem to recognize my TOHOLED at all. I doesn't ask permission for install and the screen is dead. Any way to fix this?

kimmoli
2014-12-09, 09:12
something wrong with NFC detection?
dbus-monitor --system | grep TOHID
and attach toholed.

Kabouik
2014-12-09, 09:35
Same here: something wrong with NFC detection apparently as we discussed by email. Toholed works though, after the manual installation.

NFC is working with my The First One OH.

Sometimes toholed stops working and I suspect a bad contact somewhere, I can restart it easily by running systemctl restart harbour-toholed.service as root.

kimmoli
2014-12-09, 10:08
Please check also which revision you have, on top right corner inside toh,
if it says REV5 and you have problems, i can replace it for cost of stamps.

The EEPROM read algorithm will be improved in u10, which makes it easier to attach toholed. (now if the electrical contact is not good when microswitch is pressed, it will not start daemon)

Kabouik
2014-12-09, 10:12
Toholed V1.00, serial number 003, March 26th 2014. http://forum-images.hardware.fr/icones/redface.gif

By the way, do you have a rough ETA for the final design that you would ship at some point (no worries, just asking, I'm not impatient at all, my toholed already works).

kimmoli
2014-12-09, 11:36
Kabouik: As you have the really old prototype, PLA printed black, IIRC it does not have dimple to press microswitch. That's why it does not start automatically :p

Kabouik
2014-12-09, 13:13
Now that finally explains why I was very dubious when Dirk told me the material was the same for my toholed and my diptoh/tohkbd1. :)

The PLA material was good, smooth and strong (permanent) colour, though a bit prone to deformations when overheating.

Rauha
2014-12-09, 13:15
Problem solved. EDIT: it just strangly started working all of sudden. Don't know why.

Kaikkea mahdollista koitin ja mikään ei toiminut. Sitten avasin noin miljoonannen kerran kuoren tarkistaakseni tuon revikkanumeron, jonka mainitsit. Just silloin Jolla päätti puoliskon tunnistaa, asensi ohjelmat ja nyt kaikki pelittää ihan OK.

:)

kimmoli
2014-12-09, 14:32
Problem solved. EDIT: it just strangly started working all of sudden. Don't know why.

Software moves in mysterious ways

edgarx100
2014-12-12, 16:26
This batch almost complete.
Shipping hopefully on wednesday 10.12.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4XQMq3CIAEeTkD.jpg:large

Hi Kimmo!

I really want to buy one of your new TOHOLED-case. How do I order?

My PM-function doesn't work :(

/Edgarx100

kimmoli
2014-12-12, 18:50
For inquiries, send me email to https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DIsjoOBEcOU/VIs449vCb5I/AAAAAAAAH_Q/5RGUfOC80xQ/w157-h20-no/t.jpg

edgarx100
2014-12-13, 08:33
For inquiries, send me email to https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DIsjoOBEcOU/VIs449vCb5I/AAAAAAAAH_Q/5RGUfOC80xQ/w157-h20-no/t.jpg

Done!:)
Many thanks,Kimmoli

yaliang
2014-12-16, 02:43
how about the price ?

kimmoli
2015-01-22, 21:02
I'm in progress of refractoring toholed packaging as per request by Jolla.

It will combine everything in a single RPM package.

No actual functional changes, but i for those who use manually installed packages, i will post here an update after it passes Jolla QA.

asys3
2015-01-25, 09:38
For me it seems, that the 1.1.1.27 has an sideeffekt to the proxymity sensor.
I always have the settings 'Display off when active' and 'Proximity' checked.
So normal use case for me at night:
- put the jolla on the table with toholed on top
- put something on the proximity sensor to switch the oled off(to not lighten the room)

The day use case for me is of course the oled activated (during meetings for example).

Actually the proximity sensor doesn't work as reliable as before.

After systemctl restart harbour-toholed.service i switch the main display off.
Then i put my finger on the proximity sensor and off.

Before the sailfishos update i'm sure you could activate the oled by the proximity sensor like a switch.
Now sometimes i have longer response times than before until the point where it doesn't act anymore .

By restarting the service i can again use it for some times.
So generally i suppose the sensor is ok.

Anyone can state that behaviour or am i the only one having this problem ?

(journalctl - f out of the box reports nothing about the proximity sensor state)

kimmoli
2015-01-25, 10:19
For me it seems, that the 1.1.1.27 has an sideeffekt to the proxymity sensor.
I always have the settings 'Display off when active' and 'Proximity' checked.

The 'Display off when main active' needs some work, e.g. it will turn oled on, even when proximity is present when phone's own display goes off. And seen also that oled is on, even when phone's display is on.

Before the sailfishos update i'm sure you could activate the oled by the proximity sensor like a switch.
Now sometimes i have longer response times than before until the point where it doesn't act anymore .
This has always been sort of like this. The toholed proximity sensor does not wake up the phone, it should serve this when phone's own proximity is triggered (which wakes up the phone from sleep)

And it should also check the proximity every 30 sec.

(journalctl - f out of the box reports nothing about the proximity sensor state)

devel-su journalctl -f | grep toholed should show proximity state changes when hovering hand over it:

tammi 25 11:48:38 Jolla harbour-toholed[28808]: Interrupt: Proximity detect: ALS C0 8 C1 3 prox 1011
tammi 25 11:48:38 Jolla harbour-toholed[28808]: Interrupt: Proximity cleared: ALS C0 1 C1 0 prox 808
tammi 25 11:48:39 Jolla harbour-toholed[28808]: Interrupt: Proximity detect: ALS C0 0 C1 0 prox 1023
tammi 25 11:48:39 Jolla harbour-toholed[28808]: Interrupt: Proximity cleared: ALS C0 6 C1 2 prox 600
tammi 25 11:48:39 Jolla harbour-toholed[28808]: Interrupt: Proximity detect: ALS C0 6 C1 2 prox 1023

Now, one thing that can be, the proximity threshold is too close to the "ambient" value.
This can be checked by enabling ALS (disable 'Display off when active' for the test).
Run above journal command, and expose phone to different lights (with e.g. flashlight) keeping objects away from the sensor. Then following prints are shown, and prox value should remain about the same:
tammi 25 12:01:22 Jolla harbour-toholed[17903]: Interrupt: Auto brightness adjust: ALS C0 1508 C1 318 prox 583
tammi 25 12:01:24 Jolla harbour-toholed[17903]: Interrupt: Auto brightness adjust: ALS C0 36 C1 9 prox 583
tammi 25 12:01:24 Jolla harbour-toholed[17903]: Interrupt: Auto brightness adjust: ALS C0 1157 C1 241 prox 581
tammi 25 12:01:25 Jolla harbour-toholed[17903]: Interrupt: Auto brightness adjust: ALS C0 34 C1 9 prox 578

For my toholed, ambient proximity is kinda high, ~580 and close to the default threshold level of 650. (This is caused by the IR light reflecting already from the 3d-print)
maximum for this value is 1023.
(Most of the assemblies had ambient values < 200)

I have made factory calibrations for these, as it did depend on the color of the otherhalf, and also how accurately i managed to align pcb to the 3d print.
calibration value is stored in eeprom, and you should see it in journal, when restarting harbour-toholed.
My toholed has proximity threshold of 901
tammi 25 11:58:19 Jolla harbour-toholed[17903]: EEPROM parameter 0 value 901
if the value shown there is 0 or >1023, the default 650 is used.

Changing eeprom value can be done with i2ctool, i'll provide instructions if the proximity threshold value needs tuning.

But, typical cause for proximity not to react, is that phone is sleeping (or there is some lint/fluff in the small holes, gently pressurised air puff should take care of it)

asys3
2015-01-25, 20:30
Thanks for the fast response.
I can find the proximity log entries in the log now.
Actually the sensor works as expected - perhaps the phone had to many parallel tasks so the reaction if the sensor was delayed.
Actually no problem.
I'll continue observing it.
Hope I was wrong and it only was a temporary problem and has nothing todo with the update or whatever .
Thanks again for the help and background information !
Uwe

kimmoli
2015-01-25, 23:04
Prototype of Lastu-toholed
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8BxMB0CQAAX_vV.jpg:large

Say Thanks to this post if you like it. :)

pichlo
2015-01-26, 10:09
I like it very much. The price is totally acceptable and I would love to order one but I have this problem (https://together.jolla.com/question/78098/toh-not-detected/). Any hint on how to debug it? As mentioned there, neither lshal nor dmesg provided the answer, nor did cleaning the contacts as suggested here (https://together.jolla.com/question/73184/toh-not-installing-ambience/?answer=77811#post-id-77811).

juiceme
2015-01-26, 10:23
I like it very much. The price is totally acceptable and I would love to order one but I have this problem (https://together.jolla.com/question/78098/toh-not-detected/). Any hint on how to debug it? As mentioned there, neither lshal nor dmesg provided the answer, nor did cleaning the contacts as suggested here (https://together.jolla.com/question/73184/toh-not-installing-ambience/?answer=77811#post-id-77811).

Looks your NFC antenna is dead then. @coderus had the same problem and while we visited the Jolla HQ, the Care people swapped a new middle-cover in his device; hey presto, it started working :D

So. looks like a trip to Jolla Care, imho.

pichlo
2015-01-26, 10:30
Could it not be the microswitch that detects the OH closing? That's what I am trying to figure out by watching the messages, but there are too many.

kimmoli
2015-01-26, 10:34
Quick debugs...

check this before and after attaching a TOH:
The number of interrupts should increase (if not, the microswitch is broken)
This should say Active, running. If not TOHD daemon is not running.
devel-su systemctl status tohd
Then while attaching a TOH, keep this running, it should print something. If not, NFC is not detected.
dbus-monitor --system | grep -A 2 TOHID

pichlo
2015-01-26, 13:47
Thanks, kimmoli! That's exactly what I was after.
The results:

The interrupts were going up. Quite a lot when I was just fiddling with the switch with a screwdriver, only by one when I attached and detached a TOH.
The tod daemon is running and active. I killed it on Friday to see what happens and it restarted on its own so the uptime is since Friday but it is active.
Something happens when I run dbus-monitor but I am not sure what to make out of it. For completeness, I also ran it without grep and here is (a part of) the output:

signal sender=:1.7 -> dest=(null destination) serial=46 path=/com/jolla/tohd; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties; member=PropertiesChanged
string "com.jolla.tohd"
array [
dict entry(
string "Docked"
variant int32 1
)
]
array [
]
signal sender=:1.7 -> dest=(null destination) serial=47 path=/com/jolla/tohd; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties; member=PropertiesChanged
string "com.jolla.tohd"
array [
dict entry(
string "Ready"
variant int32 1
)
dict entry(
string "TOHID"
variant string ""
)
]
array [
]

Am I right to assume that TOHOLED does not need NFC anyway? I can live quite happily without swapping ambiences ;)

kimmoli
2015-01-26, 13:50
Seems that there is still something wrong with NFC antenna...

Am I right to assume that TOHOLED does not need NFC anyway? I can live quite happily without swapping ambiences ;)

TOHOLED needs NFC for installing the software automatically from Jolla server.
You can ofc manually install the package, and it will work as expected.

kimmoli
2015-01-28, 08:49
For manual updates, package can be downloaded from mer-obs:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.0-3.1.armv7hl.rpm

After installing this, you'll need to say ONLY FOR MANUAL UPDATES
and then remove and re-attach toholed.
systemctl --user restart ambienced
or as root
systemctl-user restart ambienced

kimmoli
2015-01-28, 14:39
HEP

Update is now released in store.

Problem is that package name changed (hopefully it is final now).

This why you need to uninstall toholed (from Store > My applications), then remove Toholed from the phone, and attach it again.
You should see popup for installing it. Click it.

----
Manual installation as per above instructions.

juiceme
2015-01-28, 16:09
Hmmh, just thinking;

I removed toholed, installed the cover and let system download the package from store.
However, now as I check it looks like not all packets are installed, however the OLED display works;

[root@Jolla nemo]#
[root@Jolla nemo]# zypper se toholed
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name | Summary | Type
--+-----------------------------+---------------------------+--------
i | harbour-ambience-toholed | The OtherHalf OLED | package
| harbour-toholed | The OtherHalf OLED daemon | package
| harbour-toholed-settings-ui | Toholed settings UI | package
[root@Jolla nemo]#

stampsmurf
2015-01-28, 18:40
where and how can i order one?

kimmoli
2015-01-28, 19:18
Hmmh, just thinking;
However, now as I check it looks like not all packets are installed,

i | harbour-ambience-toholed
| harbour-toholed
| harbour-toholed-settings-ui

This is just as it should be. New package harbour-ambience-toholed is named according to new rules, and this single package contains everything (it Obsoletes those two other packages)

:eek:-------------------------------------------------------:eek:

where and how can i order one?
Send me PM, or email toho at saunalahti fi
Will give you more details.
(If you don't hear from me, reply might be gone to trash or somewhere, as i reply from different address)

Kabouik
2015-01-29, 13:42
HEP

Update is now released in store.

Problem is that package name changed (hopefully it is final now).

This why you need to uninstall toholed (from Store > My applications), then remove Toholed from the phone, and attach it again.
You should see popup for installing it. Click it.

----
Manual installation as per above instructions.

I cannot find any "Toholed" in Store/My applications, though the toholed is actually working currently. I guess it still uses the package I installed manually for the toholed prototype. What is its exact name so that I can remove it manually with pkcon?

juiceme
2015-01-29, 13:47
just do "zypper se toholed" and you get list of all names having toholed as part of them...

kimmoli
2015-01-29, 13:47
I cannot find any "Toholed" in Store/My applications, though the toholed is actually working currently. I guess it still uses the package I installed manually for the toholed prototype. What is its exact name so that I can remove it manually with pkcon?
Yes, manually installed packages are not shown there.
the old packages are harbour-toholed and harbour-toholed-settings-ui

uninstall them first.

Then re-attach toholed (the new one) and if your NFC works, it should install it automatically.

New package name is harbour-ambience-toholed

kimmoli
2015-01-29, 13:48
just do "zypper se toholed" and you get list of all names having toholed as part of them...
or
pkcon search name toholed

Kabouik
2015-01-31, 03:12
Thanks! :)

kimmoli
2015-02-23, 22:51
0.4.3. released.
Download from store, or here manual install;: http://repo.merproject.org/obs//home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.3-7.1.armv7hl.rpm

Changes: https://build.merproject.org/package/view_file/home:kimmoli:tohs/toholed/_service:tar_git:harbour-ambience-toholed.changes?expand=1

ackelstroem
2015-02-24, 20:46
First of all, thank you for all the hard work! This has been an awesome project to follow. Here is a little feedback after a couple of weeks of usage.

Is there a reason why charging indicator and silent profile aren't shown at the same time? To save space when the bottom screen is filled with too many icons? This happens also when there is lots of extra space left. A charger plug icon could perhaps fit on top of the battery percentage to fully utilize the screen. ;)

Have you considered adding the alarm time next to the alarm icon, which would probably block most of the bottom screen icons, but could be handy when used as a bed side clock. Notifications could of course override this.

Sometimes also the notification icons are difficult to spot, to differentiate from the network, bluetooth etc. icons. What if when there are notification the bottom row would be moved to above the clock? This could even be animated since the display controller supports vertical scrolling, or would it be easier to just handle it straight from the daemon. Anyway, this would make it a lot easier to notice even from further away.

Do these sound difficult to implement or even inconvenient as concepts?

kimmoli
2015-02-24, 20:58
Thanks.

The icons have fixed locations, and there is no particular reason behind why what is where. it is just evolved like that. The charging/muted icons just felt convenient to have them like that. Muted has priority iirc. and then 100% has highest priority.
I planned to make icons to be dynamic, but it feels awkward after learning the positions of them. On analog clock, network state and notifications are shown at the same time, but muted/charging is identical.

Adding alarm time; i had thoughts about that but never got time to dig out where i could get them nicely. Propably could get them somewhere.

Making the display to change order when notifications active is possible.

nodevel
2015-03-05, 10:30
Here's a MWC video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP_YXJ-Cu4Q) of a wooden TOHOLED a I gotta say it looks really gorgeous!

Is the wooden one already available?

kimmoli
2015-04-17, 12:33
Small update on SW - Version 0.4.4

- [daemon] add . to small font
- [daemon] notifications according to category, add voicemail notification
- [daemon] show version on splash screen

Pushed soon to Q&A, so wait for update in few days.

For those who use manual install, download from this link:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs//home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.4-8.1.armv7hl.rpm

or use pkcon magics...

asys3
2015-04-19, 19:41
Thanks for the update! I just tried the first beta of whatsup of cepiperez.
Would be nice if we could the whatsup's notifications on toholed, too. Is this possible ?
Many thanks for toholed again - still my favourite and everyday toh!

kimmoli
2015-04-19, 19:45
Just tell me what notification category it uses for the notifications

Done here:
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1467806#post1467806

kimmoli
2015-04-20, 08:57

- [daemon] notification support for mitakuuluu and whatsup

Manual install available here:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs//home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.5-9.1.armv7hl.rpm

pichlo
2015-04-20, 13:07
Kimmo, how is the PCB attached to the plastic? Glue? Double-sided sticky tape? Magic?

I had the crazy idea of using the empty space in my new TOH to fit a Qi charging pad. I found one that is cheap as chips and fits almost perfectly, though I may need to remove one of the ribs. But my main problem is how and where to attach the power lines. Obviously I would prefer to attach them to your PCB as that already has the pogo pads but it sits in the plastic like a bum on the potty. How do I take it off without breaking anything?

kimmoli
2015-04-20, 13:29
Kimmo, how is the PCB attached to the plastic? Glue? Double-sided sticky tape? Magic?
Magical double-sided tape with glue on both sides ?

I had the crazy idea of using the empty space in my new TOH to fit a Qi charging pad.
Yep, crazy but not a new idea...
I found one that is cheap as chips and fits almost perfectly, though I may need to remove one of the ribs. But my main problem is how and where to attach the power lines. Obviously I would prefer to attach them to your PCB as that already has the pogo pads but it sits in the plastic like a bum on the potty. How do I take it off without breaking anything?

First, press the oled display from outside, slowly bend it (take care not breaking flex) to allow the double-sided tape to give up. There is small black sticker on the display, it might release before the sticky-tape (no worries)

Then use same carefull slowly tiring method to the PCB. There is 2 pieces of tape, one on both ends, and one bigger black double-sided tape between the IR led and sensor.

There is pad for charge input pogo, but unfortunately it is not connected to anywhere, just a pad - making connection there i leave to you :)
Ground is next to it, but it can be found around the pcb.

pichlo
2015-04-23, 09:36
Yep, crazy but not a new idea...

I never claimed the primacy :)

Thanks for the detailed description. Removing the PCB was a doddle, as was soldering the wire to the ground plane. The tricky part was doing the same for the charging pad. I eventually ended up cheating a bit, with a self-adhesive copper strip.

Here is the result:

It works fine, only a bit finicky. It is very sensitive to finding the right spot: just a few mm off and it stops charging.

But this is getting a bit OT, maybe I will find some time later to add more info in the wireless charging thread (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92059). This is just to say thanks Kimmo, you've been very helpful and instrumental in getting this done :)

kimmoli
2015-04-23, 09:52
Fits like a glove, i would say

kimmoli
2015-06-01, 11:11
-- sold out --

Kabouik
2015-06-01, 13:48
By the way, the addition of temperature display (with the Weather app) was a nice addition, thanks Kimmo.

pichlo
2015-06-01, 16:19
By the way, the addition of temperature display (with the Weather app) was a nice addition, thanks Kimmo.

Indeed. It had me fooled for a few days. Despite not having Sailfish Weather installed at all. I thought, wow, it can pick up data from other weather clients too! (I have MeeCast.) How cool is that?

...until I realized that it was displaying the same temperature all this time ;)

kimmoli
2015-06-03, 06:48
...until I realized that it was displaying the same temperature all this time ;)

Next update might have support for other services too

nodevel
2015-06-03, 06:54
Next update might have support for other services too

Sounds great! Could it be modular?

I made an app for this film festival (Karlovy Vary IFF) last year and having the functionality to show how much time to the next screening (+where the screening is, what movie it is...) on the TOHOLED would be incredible.

kimmoli
2015-06-03, 07:01
....having the functionality to show how much time to the next screening (+where the screening is, what movie it is...) on the TOHOLED would be incredible.

There is dbus api to show your stuff on the screen.

see here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1441825&postcount=341

preferred method is drawPicture, compose your own png with QPaint whatever and send it over. Remember to request/lock interface for your app.

nodevel
2015-06-12, 17:54
So I just received the TOHOLED yesterday and I am (like many others) amazed by its look and build quality.

There's only one problem: it doesn't show any notifications.

I have the software v0.3.0, I have "blink on notifications" on and it blinks when the alarm rings, but when an SMS/E-Mail/Twitter notification arrives, there is nothing on the TOHOLED.
The phone LED blinks, but the TOHOLED doesn't blink and doesn't show anything else than time, battery, silent mode and networks indicators.

Maybe it's a known issue, but I couldn't find it in this thread.

Other than that, I must really thank Kimmo for sending me such a great piece of hardware.

EDIT: Now I noticed it doesn't display the temperature either, even though I have the Weather app installed and working.

EDIT 2: Found v0.4.10 on OBS - will report later.

EDIT 3: Everything is working with 0.4.10. Thank you again.

heubergen
2015-06-13, 21:01
I've received my blue TOHOLED today and I want to thank you for this @kimmoli!

I've tested to draw a Picture via command line with this command:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.kimmoli.toholed / com.kimmoli.toholed.draw int32:x int32:y bytearray:data /home/nemo/Downloads/001.png

But unfortunately it doesn't work at all, I become the reply:
dbus-send: Unknown type "bytearray"

Do you know what I do wrong? I've try it with a normal png file that is 50x50.

Does I have to kill a service/process to prevent the toholed from update with the content from the app?

It would be also great if you could add the follow functions:
Show if play music with the official media app and which song I played right now.

I'm personally have unfortunately absolut no idea from coding :(

solbrit
2015-06-15, 13:14
Got mine today. Very nice looking, extremely good build quality, everything working fine. I am one happy camper. Thankyou Kimmo! :)

nodevel
2015-06-19, 10:00
So I am trying to play with TOHOLED, but I am stuck at the same problem as heubergen.

The call drawPicture fails with
dbus-send: Unknown type "bytearray"

By the way, what would be the perfect way to do countdown [0:02 / 0:13]? And drawing string probably requires turning them into bitmap first, right?

kimmoli
2015-06-19, 10:08
Here we go:

https://gist.github.com/kimmoli/aaf9112dc16885695ad6

heubergen
2015-06-19, 20:48
@kimmoli; thanks for sharing!

To send image successfully you have to install xxd which is a part of the vim-common package so you should do the follow command first:
pkcon install vim-common

kimmoli
2015-06-19, 20:56
Update 0.4.13 (for manual installers) (pushed in harbour QA, so next week for everyone)

http://repo.merproject.org/obs//home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.13-23.2.armv7hl.rpm

Note, if this link gives 404, there is propably newer release available

Changes 0.4.10 --> 0.4.13 :
- [daemon] add temperature to analog clock
- [daemon] reset proximity/als sensor in case it floods system with interrupts
- [daemon] added support of Meecast weather

solbrit
2015-07-05, 08:51
Is there a way to get TOHOLED to show Coderus' android notifications?

kimmoli
2015-07-06, 20:20
Is there a way to get TOHOLED to show Coderus' android notifications?

I don't use android apps so not using those notifications. Coderus can make PR about this feature?

solbrit
2015-07-07, 10:42
I don't know if it's possible the way I hoped. I think Coderus' app just adds sounds to incoming android notifications.

It's just an android notifications, nothing special from "Android notifications" app

Since people keep getting banned from whatsapp when using Whatsup I recently switched to android version (unfortunately I need whatsapp and can't risk getting banned) and miss getting notifications passed to TOHOLED, that's all ;)

kimmoli
2015-07-07, 10:53
... miss getting notifications passed to TOHOLED, that's all ;)

Get me output of

dbus-monitor interface=org.freedesktop.Notifications

when the notification(s) occur you want to get shown on TOHOLED and i'll add support.

solbrit
2015-07-07, 11:05
Get me output of

dbus-monitor interface=org.freedesktop.Notifications

when the notification(s) occur you want to get shown on TOHOLED and i'll add support.

PM sent...

kimmoli
2015-07-10, 10:18
TOHOLED 0.4.14:
- Android Whatsapp notifications

Update available in store, or for manual installation via following link:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs//home:/kimmoli:/tohs/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/harbour-ambience-toholed-0.4.14-24.1.armv7hl.rpm

If link does not work, there might already be a newer release

heubergen
2015-07-16, 15:59
Hi kimmoli

How I know, can @coderus display music information (and control the apps) via MPRIS2 interface.
Would it not be possible for you, to grab this information and display the in the TOHOLED?

kimmoli
2015-07-19, 04:23
Would it not be possible for you, to grab this information and display the in the TOHOLED?

everything is possible, impossible things just take little longer.

the TOHOLED fonts are currently limited to numbers and letters are used to show small icons, so showing e.g. track name would require lots of refractoring.

Toholed supports dbus api showing custom png image by external program, so making your own daemon to get mpris data and render png with information wanted, and sending it to toholed is also an option.

heubergen
2015-07-19, 19:04
everything is possible, impossible things just take little longer.

the TOHOLED fonts are currently limited to numbers and letters are used to show small icons, so showing e.g. track name would require lots of refractoring.

Toholed supports dbus api showing custom png image by external program, so making your own daemon to get mpris data and render png with information wanted, and sending it to toholed is also an option.

Would be great if anyone could do that, but I'm just not a developer :(

pichlo
2015-10-02, 10:35
Suggestion: Would it be possible to add a "restart daemon" menu option?

pichlo
2015-10-27, 11:39
I woke up this morning at 06:32 (as shown by the clock on the other side of the bed), but my TOHOLED clock showed 06:17. Also, the notification LED was blinking to indicate a new email but an envelope was not displayed on the OLED. Unlocking and locking the phone solved both issues. Wha' happa?

Also, "bump" on my above request to add "restart daemon" to the TOHOLED settings UI menu ;)

kimmoli
2015-11-01, 07:19
restart is done, not yet published...

carmenluci
2016-09-12, 20:52
My TOHOLED doesn't display email icon when I receive a new email since I've updated Sailfish to 2.0.2.51.
Anyone has same issue?

pichlo
2016-09-13, 05:34
Where did you get 2.0.2.5? ;)
I am on 2.0.2.51 and the email icon works for me as it should.

carmenluci
2016-09-13, 07:50
Where did you get 2.0.2.5? ;)
I am on 2.0.2.51 and the email icon works for me as it should.

Sorry, I wanted to say 2.0.2.51. Fixed ;)
Thanks for your answer, maybe my toholed is damaged :(

juiceme
2016-09-13, 09:59
Thanks for your answer, maybe my toholed is damaged :(

I think that is unlikely; as you well can see the whole dispaly is a dot matrix, there is absolutely no possibility that the HW could break in such a way that just the "email envelope" icon is missing :D

I think it is highly likely that for some reason in your device the DBUS message signalling for new mail received does not correctly get caught by the toholed driver.

Ask for help on freenode channel ##kimmoli-tohs

pichlo
2016-09-13, 10:06
It might be worth noting that the email icon in TOHOLED appears only for any new emails. It disappears once you open the Email app. If you have 4 accounts and 10 new emails spread across all 4, opening just one of them clears the icon, even though you still have unread emails in the other accounts.

Also, I have just performed some experiments and have indeed observed that the icon does not appear for every new email. It definitely appears sometimes but I have to experiment a bit more to find the pattern.

carmenluci
2016-09-13, 12:07
I think that is unlikely; as you well can see the whole dispaly is a dot matrix, there is absolutely no possibility that the HW could break in such a way that just the "email envelope" icon is missing :D

I think it is highly likely that for some reason in your device the DBUS message signalling for new mail received does not correctly get caught by the toholed driver.

Ask for help on freenode channel ##kimmoli-tohs

I think the same, it's not a HW problem. I will ask to kimmoli from freenode channel, thanks

carmenluci
2016-09-13, 12:28
It might be worth noting that the email icon in TOHOLED appears only for any new emails. It disappears once you open the Email app. If you have 4 accounts and 10 new emails spread across all 4, opening just one of them clears the icon, even though you still have unread emails in the other accounts.

Also, I have just performed some experiments and have indeed observed that the icon does not appear for every new email. It definitely appears sometimes but I have to experiment a bit more to find the pattern.

It is not my case, the email icon doesn't display and I didn't open Email app.

I've noticed that icon is displayed one or two seconds, and then it disappears

juiceme
2016-09-14, 11:48
I noticed you asked about it yesterday on ##kimmoli-tohs, only you were bit quick to leave the channel... Kimmo appeared online about 2 hours after you left. :)

carmenluci
2016-09-14, 12:12
I noticed you asked about it yesterday on ##kimmoli-tohs, only you were bit quick to leave the channel... Kimmo appeared online about 2 hours after you left. :)

Ok, my phone was off...thank you for the notice!!

pichlo
2016-10-03, 10:47
I have just performed some experiments and have indeed observed that the icon does not appear for every new email. It definitely appears sometimes but I have to experiment a bit more to find the pattern.

OK, more observations. The email icon does indeed not appear for every new email but guess what? The icon's appearance is consistent with the email notification LED. So the problem is definitely in the SFOS and its notification delivery mechanism, not in TOHOLED.

juiceme
2016-10-03, 13:39
OK, more observations. The email icon does indeed not appear for every new email but guess what? The icon's appearance is consistent with the email notification LED. So the problem is definitely in the SFOS and its notification delivery mechanism, not in TOHOLED.

So you mean, if the notification LED does not blink amber, then no mail icon appears on the TOH, right?

That makes sense if the trigger for both visualizations is the same mechanism. Now I only wonder when does your notification-LED not turn on, except when the UI is active during the incoming mail?
(as I understand that is a feature and not a bug?)

nthn
2016-10-03, 14:25
Even when the UI is active, as long as the events view or the notification itself isn't opened, you will/should still get a blinking LED when you turn the screen off.

pichlo
2016-10-03, 14:28
So you mean, if the notification LED does not blink amber, then no mail icon appears on the TOH, right?

Right.

I am 80% sure that the LED sometimes does not turn flashing amber even when the Mail UI is not active, but I am happy to test again.