PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows if/when Jolla makes a second device?

robnas
2014-01-17, 12:08
I'm following Jolla's Sailfish (and MeeGo, and Maemo) for quite some time and I'm quite sure it's the best option available on the market for today and the future concerning mobiles OS's.

But: I want to use it as fast as possible, but I'm not really convinced about the quality of the hardware.
Why: because of the results (http://tweakers.net/reviews/3351/5/jolla-met-sailfish-os-nokias-erfgenaam-maakt-indruk-scherm-matig.html) of the screen, battery and performance. I'm sorry, the website is dutch, but the graphs are clear, as you can see on the link and the next page (in dutch: "volgende pagina").

So if that's the case, I'd rather wait for Sailfish to become downloadable for other devices (Nexus, maybe?) or when Jolla makes it next device. It would be a logical decision to make a device with hardware keyboard, as most of the Jolla users want. Yeah, I've seen the topic about the other half and keyboard, but at this moment I'm not convinced by the level of quality that will bring).

So, does anyone one if/when Jolla will bring it's second device, if this will be with the so much wanted keyboard (why haven't they made it in the first place? Most people REALLY want it)?

If that questions can't be answered, does anyone know when Sailfish become broadly available for other devices? In december there was quite some noise regarding Jolla and the last weeks it's awfully quiet...

caprico
2014-01-17, 12:44
Just a short answer - and not even the right one to your question ;-)

But:

-Battery life is great once you use a workaround for the NFC bug (and with great, I really mean great!)

-screen is much better than I thought. My girlfriend has a Galaxy S4 with full HD resultion (it's my best comparison to a better screen). At normal use (!) I don't really see a difference between that screen and the Jolla one. I was bothered about the qHD screen before I ordered the device, now when actually using the phone I don't care anymore - I don't even think of it.

-Viewing angles of the screen aren't the bests, but also not the worse (a regular user won't miss anything). I miss a the AMOLED screen of the Nokia N9 I used before - but also prefer some aspects of the LCD one.

-performance is suprisingly good (even in Android 3d games which I tested). Of course it's not high end and I also wished to have more RAM for example. But does the phone feel slow? No, not at all. Many used iPhones or Android devices out there might even feel slower, despite superiour hardware.

I wished you could just hold such a phone in your hands. That probably would give you another opinion about the device :-)

egnat69
2014-01-17, 14:54
i can only support capricos points and findings...

before the nfc bug was discovered, i had battery life comparable to my android-phone... a bit better probably... as i am typing this, my phone has been off the charger for approx. 9 hours.. i didn't get a lot to using it today, just played around in store and warehouse and did a quick restart of the aliendalvik via terminal to test the behaviour of a specific android app - i now have 84% battery left ... the best part is though: battery performance should get better with upcoming updates...

sceenwise i was a bit surprised.. i came from an qHD AMOLED display that offered pentile-matrix... even though there is the same resolution, the one on my jolla seems a lot more crisp and sharp - i never understood that resolution-madness anyway though...

i wouldn't count on a second device in the too near future... that's a lot of work and at the moment those people are dedicated to get the OS out of beta...

bockersjv
2014-01-17, 15:09
Agree with caprico too. The key thing I want to see is fixes and features added to the OS and then a port so I can get rid of Android on my Tablet.

I could not care less now for new hardware, what we have is more that adequate and once some more optimisation arrives it will only get better. Don't forget Jolla had very little time to optimise the current cpu as there was a very late change away from Siemens. This means there is plenty left in the tank before the HW becomes a major obstacle.

Also there is a chance that you will be able to run Sailfish on newer android devices in the near future.

Exciting stuff.

tissot
2014-01-17, 15:10
Screen quality is imo almost as horrible to review as a piece of HiFi gear. You have certain standards you can separate the products, like resolution, but everybody will perceive the screen quality differently in the end.

It's not competing against screens like Note 3 or Lumia 1520 almost stamp like screen.
Like repeated in quite a many source, it has among the best color production. Something I have always liked about iPhone screens. Though it is not as crisp as its competition.
http://wpsailors.com/2013/11/29/jollas-screen-color-reproduction-among-the-best-brightness-and-contrast-average/

As for the second device. I believe it was said on a interview that there's one device already planned, but can't be bothered to find the link. I believe it was in Finnish.

richardski
2014-01-17, 17:43
Any new devices should ensure there are no binary blobs or secret proprietary code to hide back doors in. Also one were the user can properly re-flash their own hardware with a factory or modified image.

Security and support of FOSS is far more crucial than any number of pixels or features.

Richard

uvatbc
2014-01-17, 22:06
Frankly the reason I want a second version of the hardware is to support worldwide GSM/HSDPA and LTE.

Everything else is just software and the other half.

robnas
2014-01-17, 22:19
The "issues" with the hardware are these:
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits for the rest. It's the least bright screen. The Nokia N9 was the one with 287 nits, so it's 24% less bright.
Contrast: 425:1. I would expect at least 700 or 800 here. The best ones having more than 1000:1 contrast.
Color-accuracy: 6 (lower is better) against 4.1 to 2.1 for other phones.

Battery: non-issue, solved with the "NFC-hack", as is mentioned in the review. Startup-time camera: 4.68 seconds against 3.6 to 1.51.
That's 1 second behind the second last and 3 seconds behind the first of the bunch.

I would have to rely on your experiences with the device. I'm sensitive for screen quality. Resolution is not that important to me, but contrast, brightness and color-accuracy are. I'd like to have a bit of a color-real screen, so it would match my calibrated displays at home.

I'm not sure. The numbers don't lie and the website tweakers.net is a very respected site in the netherlands. But I don't see the numbers relate to user-experiences (before and after the review).

When I have the chance, I will see if I could get my hands onto the device and judge myself. It doesn't have to be top-notch, but I expect some quality. If Sailfish will become available as a download, I could get it on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It could be possible it has better hardware compared to the Jolla. I already have the SGS3, the Jolla would cost me €400 (selling my SGS3 for €250 it would cost €250). What would you do in my situation?

Vipa
2014-01-18, 07:02
While I don't think the screen is bad or anything, I would suggest that you wait until you can test it in a store.

Compared to my LG TV, S-IPS and S-PVA display (connected to my PC) color accuracy is indeed quite poor.
E.g.: On the phone's screen I can barely see a difference between red and (red) orange-red while the difference is very obvious on my other screens.
But brightness isn't an issue imo. I'm able to read everything in bright daylight (haven't had a chance to test it in summer sun obviously ^^ edit: but so far it's better than with every phone before).
I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus before. Compared to that the screen's resolution is an issue for me because I can't read very very small texts on websites without zooming in. Or maybe the software isn't yet ready to accurately display small text? idk.

But for the moment I wouldn't go back to any other OS. The gestures are so much faster and more intuitive than home and back buttons etc. Phones with buttons, especially physical ones like the Note 3 / Iphones, suddenly feel awkward and outdated.
For a phone the headphone sound quality is good too, which is my main use of mobile phones.
So while I am certainly not amazed hardware-wise, the software is imo already miles ahead of iOS and Android (never had a Windows Phone, but it is slightly better than Windows 8.1 on a tablet, but only by a bit. I still like Win 8.1 - it's not as far off as the other two)

nodevel
2014-01-18, 09:28
The least bright screen? What?

I am constantly running my Jolla on the lowest brightness level and I still wish there were lower levels. Any higher option is just too bright!

shadowjk
2014-01-18, 10:12
The hardware is capable of lower brightness, but the UI doesn't permit it.

robnas
2014-01-18, 13:30
Good to hear this. I would almost think something in the review has gone bad, maybe I'll try to contact them.

Dave999
2014-01-18, 13:39
The jPhone ll must be announced before end of year if jolla planning to ever grow. If not they have to be tiny until the end of days.

go and buy the current jPhone to support them!

Alfdererste
2014-01-18, 17:53
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits[...]

I think some of those numbers are quite wrong.
This article tells something different:
http://wpsailors.com/2013/11/29/jollas-screen-color-reproduction-among-the-best-brightness-and-contrast-average/

I also have had a Galaxy S3 for one year before I get my Jolla.
And I can say the screen is much better than the S3 one.
Its brighter and has much better colors. The S3 screen looks a bit like a gray veil lies over the screen when compared directly.
On the other hand Black level are much better on S3 and there is a slightly better sharpness. But the resolution difference sounds much worse than it is. The display looks sharp and only desktop-versions of hompages with small fonts and without zooming are not as sharp as on the S3.

Kamera startup:
Those numbers are definitely wrong. Start the camera for the first time is as fast as on the S3(sometimes even better) and when camera runs in background its faster.
But there is another thing, if you go back to homescreen there is no delay on the Jolla phone, but on all Android devices an especially on the S3 there is a long delay.
So on Jolla you can switch much faster between the apps.

I have uploaded a video to show this:
http://youtu.be/EjBSkQ3xoHw

Alfdererste
2014-01-18, 18:20
Brightness:
218 against 287 to 588 nits[...]

I think some of those numbers are quite wrong.
This article tells something different:

I also have had a Galaxy S3 for one year before I get my Jolla.
And I can say the screen is much better than the S3 one.
Its brighter and has much better colors. The S3 screen looks a bit like a gray veil lies over the screen when compared directly.
On the other hand Black level are much better on S3 and there is a slightly better sharpness. But the resolution difference sounds much worse than it is. The display looks sharp and only desktop-versions of hompages with small fonts and without zooming are not as sharp as on the S3.

Kamera startup:
Those numbers are definitely wrong. Start the camera for the first time is as fast as on the S3(sometimes even better) and when camera runs in background its faster.
But there is another thing, if you go back to homescreen there is no delay on the Jolla phone, but on all Android devices an especially on the S3 there is a long delay.
So on Jolla you can switch much faster between the apps.

I have uploaded a video to show this:
http://youtu.be/EjBSkQ3xoHw

m4r0v3r
2014-01-18, 18:49
Who gives a damn about a new phone, I'd rather they polished Sailfish and got together with a few hardware manufactures, I feel like they have an ace up there sleeve.

XiliX
2014-01-18, 19:53
@robnas
the author of the article allready commented on it: he didnt have the device for long as he wanted to return it to the owner before christmas, and there have been quire a lot of bugfixes since then.

richardski
2014-01-19, 09:48
Sailfish needs to run in the real world to expose bugs and improve it. The more hardware platforms the better this process works.

Jolla needs to be planning jPhone2 and hopefully this time use chipset that supports FOSS and allows a reflash to factory default images by the hardware owner.

Richard

robnas
2014-01-19, 14:09
Who gives a damn about a new phone...
The ones who uses it, about 99% of the members here that are using Jolla?
.....duh????

As I said before: I think it would be good to contact the makers of the review to see if they want to do it over. The numbers don't represent the user experience, so it seems...

Dave999
2014-01-19, 16:06
Even if software or you don't need a new phone... that is a must. The market needs it. jPhone ll is a must even if jolla only tweaking the hardware a bit. A new spec a new device a new name. All of that trigger sales and attention, unfortunately also costs .

If jolla can convince anyone else to release a sailfish device . Fine. But if they fail they need to release jPhone ll. I hope we hear something about new devices and plans at MWC next month.

Great story that must start all over again :D
http://stezz.blogspot.se/2014/01/a-journey-of-year-more-or-less.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+Somethingmeaningful+(somethingM eaningful)

aegis
2014-01-19, 16:19
Sailfish needs to run in the real world to expose bugs and improve it. The more hardware platforms the better this process works.

On the other hand, the more hardware they support it on, the thinner the support is stretched. I'd rather they concentrated on getting their own hardware singing sweetly than fluffing some specs fetishist who won't buy a phone unless it's got a ridiculously high ppi or octo-core 3ghz CPUs

bockersjv
2014-01-20, 14:38
Once the OS is out of Beta I don't care. I would hate to see another device announced before this. I don't want a developement phone I want one that can handle the fully released OS with ease, and be capable of taking the latest updates and versions for at least 18 months

My typiccal phone life/uasge is 2 yrs so I have 22months still with my Jolla before I look to buy again.

If Jolla were to quickly announce a Jolla 2 alongside an OS revision that only runs on the later device and leave the early Jolla 1 adopters in a cul de sac I would be livid. (Wp7.8 anyone!)

m4r0v3r
2014-01-20, 15:20
The ones who uses it, about 99% of the members here that are using Jolla?
.....duh????

As I said before: I think it would be good to contact the makers of the review to see if they want to do it over. The numbers don't represent the user experience, so it seems...

a new phone was just released, there not a big company that can fire off phones at will like samsung

48GX
2014-01-20, 15:25
a new phone was just released, there not a big company that can fire off phones at will like samsung

and we still not have all the info of current new device ( i2c )

after 1 month of daily use...JOLLA is awesome!

regards.

m4r0v3r
2014-01-20, 15:27
I just don't think it's as easy for them to release a new phone as people think, since there not focusing on hardware as they've said, there all about the services, so thats why am all game for them teaming up with manufactures who have the money to create a new 1080p 16gig ram with an octacore processor, rather than having to shoulder that weight themselves.

vo-de
2014-01-20, 16:46
Jolla CEO interview - it is in finnish, but perhaps some on-line translator can help..

http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/19/jollan-lisaksi-joku-muukin-tekee-sailfish-puhelimen-ensi-vuonna-hyvin-todennakoisesti/

- they expect that some other manufacturer will release Sailfish phone in 2014 (in discussions with several possible partners)

- Will Jolla have new phone in 2014? "Probably - we have plans in place"

Dave999
2014-01-20, 16:55
Jolla CEO interview - it is in finnish, but perhaps some on-line translator can help..

http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/19/jollan-lisaksi-joku-muukin-tekee-sailfish-puhelimen-ensi-vuonna-hyvin-todennakoisesti/

- they expect that some other manufacturer will release Sailfish phone in 2014 (in discussions with several possible partners)

- Will Jolla have new phone in 2014? "Probably - we have plans in place"

That's what I said... Epic news. can't wait to get my hands on their next phone. Thank you jolla.

Name do the new phone? joll 2.0. I think we need a anticipation thread soon...

richardski
2014-01-21, 01:16
jPhone2:)

One alphabetical step up from Apple.

Richard

Dave999
2014-01-21, 10:55

One alphabetical step up from Apple.

Richard

That's one small alphabetical step for a man, but one giant leap for mankind.

Jolla, feel free to QUOTE me and neil(rip) in your next commercial for jPhone ll.

Jedibeeftrix
2014-01-21, 12:45
do you think jolla would be commited to keeping the same dimensions for the other half, so that they are interchangable between models?

if yes, how does this impact on maximum screen size for a putative jphone2?

there is a lot of bezel (still) to play with, so; 4.7", 5.0"...

shanttu
2014-01-21, 14:42
jphone2:)

Wish I could ignore all posts including that word.

Dave999
2014-01-21, 17:55
MWC 2014

http://wpsailors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/jolla_34.jpg

Jolla standing in the shadow of NTT docomo big area. Coincidence or do I just dream? ;)

Sailfish alliance back on track...

MisterMaster
2014-01-21, 18:46
No room for Tizen in Japan because of Sailfish. At least in dreams.

tadzik
2014-01-21, 18:53
For me, the reason to wait for a second phone is that it'll be sort of a proof that Jolla was succesful enough, and they're planning to continue this. Otherwise, it may as well end up like Maemo and MeeGo for all I know.

Also, hardware keyboard

richardski
2014-01-22, 08:40
The existing jPhone will give you the opportunity to experiment and learn so as to be fully up to speed when the new versions arrive.

It is not an expensive phone and is worth it just for the hackability alone that enables active participation in the many user communities:)

Richard

stefanmohl
2014-01-22, 14:19

I don't think Jolla should define itself as a "better copy" of iPhone, I think Jolla is strong enough to stand on its own!

Sorrow
2014-01-22, 15:53
Would love to get 4-4,3 inches phone from Asus. jPhone is not appealing for me after N9.

Though it's probly gon be ZTE, which jumps on ever OS - ff/tizen, already.

Daneel
2014-01-22, 16:08
People who use the term jPhone have abnormally small genitalia

Dave999
2014-01-22, 16:45
Would love to get 4-4,3 inch es phone from Asus. jPhone is not appealing for me after N9.

Though it's probly gon be ZTE, which jumps on ever OS - ff/tizen, already.

I doubt jolla looking at a 4 inch jphone at current state. It would actually be as likely as if they officially called it jPhone. But I think you shouldn't look at the screen size but rather the dimensions of the device. Why Asus? I take any vendor for support of jolla. But I would love to see levono join with sail...k900 is a beauty

I really hope we hear something at MWC. An external partner is likely to push top class devices since it's a business of scale.

Jolla’s Chief Technology Officer Stefano Mosconi posted...

"We will be in Barcelona again for MWC (want to meet us? Contact our press dept. ;) ) and besides eating tapas and drinking good wine and beer we will demo some of the cool new things we have been working on.

We will provide (the hacker) community with tools to hack on top of Jolla and Sailfish.
"

Dave999
2014-01-22, 19:41
https://together.jolla.com/question/17681/poll-the-other-half-option-8-contestant/

Vote and Lets hope jolla have something for US at mobile...

Daneel
2014-01-23, 09:32
Don't even bother.
http://i.imgur.com/wgzNOIz.jpg?1?5013

herpderp
2014-01-23, 09:54
Daneel, he didn't reply to you, just so you know - he might be a troll, but not childish like your comment.

Dave999
2014-01-24, 16:51
And tizen once again delayed. Oh well. Sticking to N9 for another year.

Why not a nexus aka jPhone ll... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MaVAMGv3tI4)

Daneel
2014-01-24, 18:49
Daneel, he didn't reply to you, just so you know - he might be a troll, but not childish like your comment.

My comment was as mature as possible, i even used words like genitalia and abnormally! Can't get any more mature then that.

salyavin
2014-01-25, 03:02
As far as a Nexus4 I'd sure consider it if I had more information on how to install sailfish on the device. Or even Nexus5 or Xperia would be nice.

I keep thinking about the Neo900 but I really can't deal with a resistive touch screen any more for daily use.

My preferred option would be to purchase a device from Jolla but they are selling a device I cannot use because of the modem which is why I am interested in their next device.

shmerl
2014-01-27, 05:26
I'm waiting if not for the second device, at least for the second revision of the first device, which has limited set of frequencies supported. Second revision should either have a better modem, or should have another set of frequencies (for North America for example).

TDSii
2014-01-27, 17:50
jolla should be a power phone for power user. it is a low end device with very low end specs with one of the worst phone displays in the market.

comparing it with my n900, it doesnt stand a chance. the build quality is comparable to mid range devices but i wont see my self paying more than $150 on it. Lujmia 920 is now $200 over ebay refurbished.

not to compare the two devices because 920 puts the jolla device to shame! but.. if you are a startup, we expect something alot better than the competition.

good luck

Dave999
2014-01-27, 18:02
jolla should be a power phone for power user. it is a low end device with very low end specs with one of the worst phone displays in the market.

comparing it with my n900, it doesnt stand a chance. the build quality is comparable to mid range devices but i wont see my self paying more than $150 on it. Lujmia 920 is now $200 over ebay refurbished.

not to compare the two devices because 920 puts the jolla device to shame! but.. if you are a startup, we expect something alot better than the competition.

good luck

Not sure what you are saying about...What is a power phone? :D

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f1/f16276544bab2b8771b894bde8b0e2e19b653a35fca3e2ea80 33fdc471d6229a.jpg

That's POWER!

Either way, I find it more strange that no other manufacturer try to join jolla. Sure, its gamble but the software is out and its working to some extent. Do all waiting for Ubuntu or tizen or do everyone with money thinking it's impossible to grow on the current market?

shmerl
2014-01-27, 18:27
Most manufacturers are too lazy and aren't interested in innovation. That's the reason.

Dave999
2014-01-27, 18:31
Most manufacturers are too lazy and aren't interested in innovation. That's the reason.

I don't believe you for a second. There is so much innovation out there...

shmerl
2014-01-27, 22:53
So much innovation in hardware may be. In software? You don't often see it being rapid when coming from manufacturers.

richardski
2014-01-28, 07:52
Would be great if Jolla's next phone used a chipset from a FOSS friendly manufacturer.

Richard

robnas
2014-01-29, 20:13
I know why most manufacturers don't try Jolla: they don't get enough opportunities to make money with it. As manufacturer you want to squeeze every penny out of your customers. Why don't Nexus and Apple include extendable sd-memory? "Oh yeah, we have a special offer if you buy the phone: a 20GB dropbox account for just $10 a year!"
Why did Apple come with a new connector? Because it can be pushed in upside down also (did we want that?). "With your new iPhone you get a discount on the new cable: just $20 instead of $30!!"

Right....
That's probably the problem with Jolla: manufacturers doesn't have the power to squeeze out their customers. Is that a bad thing? Well, consider this: do you want a multimillion-dollar company to decide to get as much information from you as they want? You will have the opportunity to don't let them: don't use their products.
Do you want a manufacturer to decide things for you or do you want to have the opportunities yourself?

Call me grumpy, but the way ethics are treated isn't something to close your eyes for...
If we do, we will accept things as normal. An example: I'm used to seeing advertisements when going to the movies. "Wait, what?" I pay for advertisements? That's just crazy, but it's generally accepted, it's not if I'd have an option. That system is "sick" (imho).

Think about it and share what you think with us...

maluka
2014-01-29, 20:35
I know why most manufacturers don't try Jolla: they don't get enough opportunities to make money with it. As manufacturer you want to squeeze every penny out of your customers. Why don't Nexus and Apple include extendable sd-memory? "Oh yeah, we have a special offer if you buy the phone: a 20GB dropbox account for just $10 a year!"
Why did Apple come with a new connector? Because it can be pushed in upside down also (did we want that?). "With your new iPhone you get a discount on the new cable: just $20 instead of $30!!"

Right....
That's probably the problem with Jolla: manufacturers doesn't have the power to squeeze out their customers. Is that a bad thing? Well, consider this: do you want a multimillion-dollar company to decide to get as much information from you as they want? You will have the opportunity to don't let them: don't use their products.
Do you want a manufacturer to decide things for you or do you want to have the opportunities yourself?

Call me grumpy, but the way ethics are treated isn't something to close your eyes for...
If we do, we will accept things as normal. An example: I'm used to seeing advertisements when going to the movies. "Wait, what?" I pay for advertisements? That's just crazy, but it's generally accepted, it's not if I'd have an option. That system is "sick" (imho).

Think about it and share what you think with us...

I think it has more to do with the restrictive Open Handset Alliance rules that prevent them from doing what Jolla does with Android.

Dave999
2014-01-30, 09:35
Mwc would be the perfect place to break the news that Jolla working on second jPhone. I would imagine that sales per day is very low now days at jStore.

I'm waiting for the news...

cvp
2014-01-30, 09:55
Mwc would be the perfect place to break the news that Jolla working on second jPhone. I would imagine that sales per day is very low now days at jStore.

I'm waiting for the news...

better is to spend more time for the software and not hardware. Hope there show us more like software and the other half extensions

Dave999
2014-01-30, 10:23
better is to spend more time for the software and not hardware. Hope there show us more like software and the other half extensions

While I agree with you. Software doesn't give any direct income for jolla. Without new hw it's like put all the money on red and then lose.

richardski
2014-02-02, 20:02
The phone is value for money and buying it gives you access to the common hardware platform to develop and evaluate software and firmware.

Not only that buying the Jolla company hardware keeps Jolla going. Hopefully Jolla will get the present Qualcomm blobs unlocked and failing that there is now enough time to plan a future model that is blob free and could be certified by the FSF as being FOSS compliant. That, post Snowden, is an important USP.

Richard

Dave999
2014-02-05, 21:20
It seems to me that jolla isn't working on a new phone so if we want a another jPhone 2014 an external partner must step in.

pagis
2014-02-06, 05:33
In my view at the moment the best hw that supports sailfishos is the jolla phone. Without sales of the current device, jolla will go bust and there should be certainly no second device.

do you consider the sailfish ports to n9 or nexus performing better than the jolla phone?

Akkumaru
2014-02-06, 06:02
I think we might see partners :)

Dave999
2014-02-06, 07:42
I think we might see partners :)

I think you are incorrect but I hope I'm wrong. Can't see anyone in EU or us jump on this ship. Might be someone in Asia...

Jolla Canonica, FFl and maybe Tizen should go together and release a device with all OS included to fight Android iOS and windows

Akkumaru
2014-02-06, 11:08
Huawei might enter :) They've been trying all OSes so far (That has been released ie FirefoxOS and not Tizen)

bockersjv
2014-02-14, 13:00
There is more news on this leaking on Twitter prior to MWC.

New device planned for 2015 and lots of other new stuff

shmerl
2014-02-14, 18:15
I hope that device from 2015 will have a universal modem so all this networks incompatibility silliness will become history forever. That's quite some wait though.

mscion
2014-02-14, 18:42
I hope that device from 2015 will have a universal modem so all this networks incompatibility silliness will become history forever. That's quite some wait though.

Yea... I live in US and went ahead and bought one regardless. I will not get it till the end of March. So now I kind of selfishly hope a new one does not come out till 2015... Serioulsly, I basically want to learn about it and in the process make the current phone as good as possible. I actually have no more expectations. I could say that buying the current phone will help guarantee that the next version is made... but didn't folks say that about the N9...

tissot
2014-02-14, 19:11
There is more news on this leaking on Twitter prior to MWC.

New device planned for 2015 and lots of other new stuff

Those are not really leaks. 2015 device was said by Jolla CEO couple of days ago, including the other stuff. Already featured here in talk.
he also revealed we will get OTH announcements in MWC.

Rauha
2014-02-14, 19:59
I wouldn't hold my breath for USA support.

Combo of

A). Network system and mobile economy rigged for subsidized devices
+
B.) The ground zero for software patents and patent litigation
+
C). American insistence to use non standard (/non-european) GSM frequencies

Equals pretty much dead zone for operation like Jolla.

Honestly, I don't see any point in them risking getting sued to high heaven & the hellish lows, with the only upside of selling small amount of devices to the most hardcore open source fanatics.

EDIT: My semi-uneducated guess would be that litigation case from just one major player (Apple, Google, Qualcom; etc.) would propably cost rougjly their current seed capital.

mscion
2014-02-14, 20:03
I wouldn't hold my breath for USA support.

Honestly, I don't see any point in them risking getting sued to high heaven & the hellish lows, with the only upside of selling small amount of devices to the most hardcore open source fanatics.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

ZogG
2014-02-14, 20:15
That's why they shouldn't go first model as public phone for end user, but should be stated as beta (if not even alpha) device.
And second one should go as the public one. That would avoid not kept promises, and it would be acceptable that they switched hw last minute(i know that not their fault, but we got hurt of it a lot too as customers), and more time to work on OS while devs can work on more native apps.

Dave999
2014-02-14, 22:08
2015 is way in to the blue. Jolla will be half bankruptcy before that and as it stands, no point in creating a countdown yet. Prepare for the worst expect ...

mscion
2014-02-14, 23:17

EDIT: My semi-uneducated guess would be that litigation case from just one major player (Apple, Google, Qualcom; etc.) would propably cost rougjly their current seed capital.

I was wondering. Several folks here have said that Jolla would not release their phone in US due to fear of litigation. So, I would like to ask. What feature(s) of the Jolla phone would Apple, Samsung, Google..pick your company, find they would have a good case for suing Jolla because it violated one of their patent rights. As a follow up. Why should these companies wait till Jolla tries to sell a phone in US? Why not sue now as these companies have a vested interest in Europe. Just askin'...

minimos
2014-02-15, 08:39
It doesn't matter what presumably patented feature Jolla has stepped on, that's just an excuse to bring the company into litigation. It may just be that they use - OMG! - roundish icons.
The problem is going through those litigations is expensive, and while all those companies you mentioned have plenty of money to burn (and a resident attorney dept. to feed), Jolla cannot afford any of that.
Europe is a relatively safer ground as such nonsensical litigation requests are not granted that easily.

hana
2014-02-15, 08:45
Well, Nokia patent department did manage to get HTC One mini blocked from the UK, although the ban was quite short-lived.

Dave999
2014-02-15, 09:01
No one will sue jolla until they steeling any % in market share. First you have to prove yourself. If they were a threat it would be easier to buy it and or convince the manufacture not to work with jolla.

juiceme
2014-02-15, 16:02
I agree with @Dave999 that as long as Jolla is not seen as a threat, Apple will not bother to start any litigation against it. Also, the patent/legal system is more sane in Eureope than in USA, you cannot win here just by throwing enough money in like you can in the states.

However, if Jolla enters USA markets, the next day it will be lawbombed by the fruit company for entering their home turf. It will not matter it probably costs more than they gain from it, they will do it just because they are mean and want to harm others.

mscion
2014-02-15, 16:47
Thanks for the input, although I'm still not sure what feature is worth suing over. I remember Samsung was sued by Apple because some of the Galaxy phones had a little bounce effect at the end of a scroll that Apple claimed ownership of. I think Samsung actually had to remove that effect (can't remember if this suit was in Europe). Anyways, give me a break! I guess it is the sorry state of things that these large companies have plenty of cash to throw at frivolous litigation if they are so inclined. So how about this situation. If Jolla sold a version of their phone such that it could get 4G/LTE in US but did not officailly support it in US like Nokia did not support the N9. Would this situation begin the wave of lawsuits?

shmerl
2014-02-16, 01:11
@Rauha: There is no such thing as standard GSM frequencies. All kind of regions use different ones, and European is nowhere a "standard".

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA

Only recent modems address this insanity properly by supporting literally all possible bands. Unfortunately Jolla didn't use one of those in their first device, because they come only in the latest SoCs.