PDA

View Full Version : Found a Jolla phone in a UK 2nd hand shop! Should I buy? (got some questions)

MINKIN2
2014-07-19, 14:40
Sorry, been out of the Jolla news loop for a while so please forgive me if I ask questions that have been answered elsewhere...

As the TT says, there is a Jolla phone in a local uk shop for sale, priced at £300. I have been in to ask if I can fondle it and they obliged :)

They also said they would give £70 in trade for my 64gb N9, which makes the deal a little sweeter. Does this seem fair?

Also, GPS Mapping is fairly high on my list of needs in a phone, how are the Jolla maps and what is the browser experience like?

Having a large number of apps is not a big thing for me but the ACL is a bonus, what is the compatibility rate like on the Jolla?

Thanks

marxian
2014-07-19, 14:55
It's available new from Amazon for £273: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jolla-Sim-Free-Smartphone-16GB-White/dp/B00HJA7A3Y. :)

MINKIN2
2014-07-19, 15:05
That is tempting, did not know amazon were selling them now. :)

Still, the idea of walking out of a shop with the device for £230 today has me swaying right now, haha.

sixwheeledbeast
2014-07-19, 15:21
That is tempting, did not know amazon were selling them now. :)

Still, the idea of walking out of a shop with the device for £230 today has me swaying right now, haha.

Hang on you can keep both devices for £273...

Depends if you want to keep your N9

pichlo
2014-07-19, 16:00
I would go for the Amazon one. They offer delivery by Monday and I also think your N9 is worth more than £70.

EDIT: Tell them about the Amazon offer and ask for a price drop. £200-220 without the trade in sounds about appropriate.

marxian
2014-07-19, 16:42

Well, that's exactly what these trade-in shops rely on. It's how they make their money. They buy from desperate sellers and sell to impatient buyers. The sensible option is to sell the N9 privately and buy a new device from Tax Dodgers Plc.

Makeclick
2014-07-19, 20:17
For navigation you can use Google maps, Navfree or Sygic ;). Navfree is nice. you can use it offline when you load free maps.

MSameer
2014-07-19, 21:08
So a 2nd hand Jolla for 230 and you lose your N9 or a new jolla for 273 and you keep your N9? I'd go for the 2nd unless you cannot really afford to pay 43 GBP.

Rauha
2014-07-19, 21:08
Also, GPS Mapping is fairly high on my list of needs in a phone, how are the Jolla maps and what is the browser experience like?
The built in mapping propably isn't good enough for you. I'm sort of opposite, GPS needs are very light and the built in stuff is good enough.for me.

But you could go with Android options for GPS.

Having a large number of apps is not a big thing for me but the ACL is a bonus, what is the compatibility rate like on the Jolla?

My own subjective experience has been pretty good. Pretty much everything that I've tried works. The last update even brought the indiidual multitasking window for each active Android app (huge improvment!).

Oh and the UI isn't as great as in the Maemo/Meego predecessors, but its still the best UI in the market at the moment (IMHO).

Overall, its pretty hard to say if I would recommend buying a Jolla or not. If you like supporting having alternatives in the mobile market, or have the usual TMO 'openness' bias, then I would get one. But if you just want a smartphone with lost of apps and good value... then there's about zillion Android phones out there with truckloads of both more.