PDA

View Full Version : Angry birds Stella launcher by Jolla, And Stella TOH

eekkelund
2014-10-17, 08:48
Jolla announced today:
http://jolla.com/stella
http://stella.angrybirds.com/
https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/38_JOLLA_STELLA_PRESS_RELEASE_OCT2014_FINAL.PDF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6otD_TT6hk

(I hope this is in right category)

juiceme
2014-10-17, 09:20
Jolla announced today:
http://jolla.com/stella
http://stella.angrybirds.com/
https://cdn.jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/38_JOLLA_STELLA_PRESS_RELEASE_OCT2014_FINAL.PDF
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6otD_TT6hk

(I hope this is in right category)

In the last link the device runing the launcher pretty much looks like the real thing, but it is still android under the hood, right?
So it still runs just Android apps, and misses the real niceties of SFOS?

I wonder what is the meaning of the launcher thingy, probably meant as an advertisement of SailfishOS to current Android users, but is it working well for that purpose?

And what about that Angry Birds theme, is there any chance of that becoming available as an ambience for Jolla?

ste-phan
2014-10-17, 09:33
the typical video with raspy voice nerd needing 3 minutes of nervous swiping to explain that this is an Angry Birds themed skimmed down version of the Sailfish Android launcher is somewhat a waste of precious Sailfish native Flappy Bird time to me. ;)

eekkelund
2014-10-17, 09:39
Yes it is android under the hood, it's only Sailfish launcher seen in video.
I would say that it is just marketting their OS. Android launcher app is good way to get visibility.
Yeah I would also like to know if Jolla phone is going to get something from deal with Rovio?

bockersjv
2014-10-17, 09:52
Jolla was going to get an Angry birds TOH and exclusive content, along with Sailfish version of the game. That was all announced in Feb but it has been awfully quiet since. The younited and and Finnish fashion brand, Maikia, also had tie ins, but none of these have yet hatched into anything for the Jolla phone. (and I am not including the younited android app announcement).

Press Release 21 Feb with more details due Q2/2014 (http://www.jollausers.com/2014/02/press-release-jolla-to-partner-with-rovios-angry-birds-and-makia-to-create-exclusive-brand-experiences-with-the-unique-the-other-half-smart-covers/). The brushweed has been blowing about since.

coderus
2014-10-17, 10:02
bet all to android angry birds game with angry birds toh, not sailfish one.

TMavica
2014-10-17, 10:30
anyone can share the ringtone and wallpaper?

caprico
2014-10-17, 10:41
Jolla was going to get an Angry birds TOH and exclusive content, along with Sailfish version of the game. That was all announced in Feb but it has been awfully quiet since. The younited and and Finnish fashion brand, Maikia, also had tie ins, but none of these have yet hatched into anything for the Jolla phone. (and I am not including the younited android app announcement).

Press Release 21 Feb with more details due Q2/2014 (http://www.jollausers.com/2014/02/press-release-jolla-to-partner-with-rovios-angry-birds-and-makia-to-create-exclusive-brand-experiences-with-the-unique-the-other-half-smart-covers/). The brushweed has been blowing about since.

I could ask Peter Vesterbacka back in February if we would get a native Sailfish app of Angry Birds. The answer back then was no, with the reason that available Android versions work well on the device. So the partnership has more promotional reasons (of which Jolla can benefit since there are a lot of Rovio fans out there), and has not the aim to publish a collection of native Sailfish apps.

It would be nice (even though I'm not an Angry Birds gamer) to turn that "Stella Launcher" into a Sailfish ambience - what shouldn't be to much work. The Angry Birds ambience shown at MWC was pretty much the same as that launcher (swipe left/right for exclusive Rovio content).

So that Rovio deal mostly benefits Jolla as a brand and not us users - which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

ste-phan
2014-10-17, 11:07
anyone can share the ringtone and wallpaper?

Hey TMavica , any role for Jolla in the heat of the fight for democracy and freedom TM? Don't let yourself be distracted by Angry birds.
How is firechat going on Jolla?

ste-phan
2014-10-17, 11:15
bet all to android angry birds game with angry birds toh, not sailfish one.

Sure, I 'd bet on it.

But if they postpone the release till Sailfish has buried Android its going to be a huge success in retro game circles anyway :D

TMavica
2014-10-17, 11:34
Hey TMavica , any role for Jolla in the heat of the fight for democracy and freedom TM? Don't let yourself be distracted by Angry birds.
How is firechat going on Jolla?

lol........

benny1967
2014-10-17, 11:50
I could ask Peter Vesterbacka back in February if we would get a native Sailfish app of Angry Birds. The answer back then was no, with the reason that available Android versions work well on the device.

This is a great example of how people misread "Jolla announced a partnership" as "Jolla promised us a native version of Angry Birds". (If you read the old press release, there was no talk of Angry Birds, the game, at all, only of ringtones, covers, background images, 'exclusive content' an co-branding.)

It was the same with Younited, btw. They never promised a native Sailfish application. The press release only states that "Jolla smartphone users will soon have the opportunity to utilize younited by F-Secure".

m4r0v3r
2014-10-17, 11:52
seems the android compatibility is hurting sailfish now

Morpog
2014-10-17, 12:50
No not the android compatibility is hurting. The users are. With their skyrocket high unrealistic anticipation in such a small startup.

bockersjv
2014-10-17, 12:58
This is a great example of how people misread "Jolla announced a partnership" as "Jolla promised us a native version of Angry Birds". (If you read the old press release, there was no talk of Angry Birds, the game, at all, only of ringtones, covers, background images, 'exclusive content' an co-branding.)

It was the same with Younited, btw. They never promised a native Sailfish application. The press release only states that "Jolla smartphone users will soon have the opportunity to utilize younited by F-Secure".
Well I asked both companies back in May when the sailfish apps were coming and they both said soon. So something has changed.

ste-phan
2014-10-17, 13:46
No not the android compatibility is hurting. The users are. With their skyrocket high unrealistic anticipation in such a small startup.

My only anticipation is that the small team loses no time to fix copy / paste, SIP, you name it... and move the Sailfish to a decent hardware platform be it recycled Samsung hardware or the Neo900, I don't care.

Instead they are creating themes based on a hyped game that has lost its steam a couple of years ago.

smoku
2014-10-17, 14:16
seems the android compatibility is hurting sailfish now

How exactly does it hurt?
If anything it helps adoption huuugely!

I (for one) would not buy Jolla Phone if it wasn't compatible with my banking (Android) application.
Having the ability to kill commute time with all the games I buy on Humble Bundle and stocked on Google Play store helps too.

This paranoia against this thin, stripped-down Alien Dalvik layer is just silly.

Hacker
2014-10-17, 14:21
In the last link the device runing the launcher pretty much looks like the real thing, but it is still android under the hood, right?
So it still runs just Android apps, and misses the real niceties of SFOS?

I wonder what is the meaning of the launcher thingy, probably meant as an advertisement of SailfishOS to current Android users, but is it working well for that purpose?

And what about that Angry Birds theme, is there any chance of that becoming available as an ambience for Jolla?

It's good to be back posting in this forum!

So, I was lucky enough to be price checking a Jolla Sailfish phone on Jolla.com a few hours ago when I saw this launcher linked there. I had to deal with a China app store site, but I managed to put this latest launcher on my HTC One, which before that, I was using the latest Jolla Launcher apk from XDA.

So, is this approach working to develop interest and improve the visibility of Jolla and Sailfish? Absolutely it is!

You guys may know, but there are a lot of people who are porting the Sailfish OS to various Android devices on XDA, but it's a difficult process. Not all devices are getting ports, and the lack of Dalvik licenses for ports means that only some people can use Sailfish OS ports as daily drivers due to app needs (though some are interested in developing native Sailfish apps). TL/DR it's much more of a pain than just downloading a Jolla Launcher apk.

The Jolla Launcher gives people a very nice taste of Sailfish while allowing them to keep their apps running on Android under the hood. I personally love it. Pulley menu, edge swipes, notifications on Sailfish lock screen, Sailfish icons, folders, etc. There's a lot there--especially in this very smooth latest version of the launcher.

Listen, there is no Sailfish phone built to run on T-Mobile's Houston network (doh!), so this launcher is like water to a man dying of thirst!

So I still have my N9 and N900, but my daily driver is currently the BlackBerry Z30. But the app situation facing BlackBerry and Sailfish (native app support vs Android compatibility) is the same. BlackBerry is taking a middle road by having Amazon.com take over consumer apps written in Android while BlackBerry's app store focuses on business apps in native BlackBerry code.

I'm not sure how it'll all pan out, but Jolla Launcher is putting smiles on a bunch of faces. And that's a pretty good start, if you ask me.

Morpog
2014-10-17, 15:22
My only anticipation is that the small team loses no time to fix copy / paste, SIP, you name it... and move the Sailfish to a decent hardware platform be it recycled Samsung hardware or the Neo900, I don't care.

Instead they are creating themes based on a hyped game that has lost its steam a couple of years ago.

Oh sure the Neo900, a decent hardware platform..... YEAH SURE

ste-phan
2014-10-17, 19:19
Oh sure the Neo900, a decent hardware platform..... YEAH SURE

Indeed, given the basis is N900 it only needs that 1GB of RAM confirmed to overrule the current Jolla HW platform on all area's.

I understood you were objecting against unreasonably high expectations. I am not demanding Jolla to run on iPhone 6, no, only a humble request for Sailfish to become one of the supported OS options Neo900.

It is no secret the current Jolla phone's are not even meant to be in same league and are more of a kind of "just good enough" placeholder hardware.

Anyway, please no more launchers, and half done OEM hardware, by this way Saiflish OS is never gonna spread all over the globe.

Somehow they need to offer the full OS support for the candybar type, HW keyboard type of device and a camera type.

Good luck...

bockersjv
2014-10-17, 19:30
Right, thought I would get the jolla experience on my tablet, but no as it does not work for tablets [sigh]

eekkelund
2014-10-18, 00:07
There seems also be coming Rovio Angry birds Stella TOH! Atleast it is sold in TaoBao webshop with Jolla phone.
http://t.co/XsSTMxpMhB

strongm
2014-10-18, 09:45
I believe we are beginning to see signs that Europe is no longer Jolla's primary market focus

juiceme
2014-10-18, 16:47
Right I would get the jolla experience on my tablet, but no as it dies not work for tablets [sigh]

Whaddya mean it doesn't run on tablets?
http://www.swagman.org/juice/20140929_002.jpg

smoku
2014-10-18, 20:51
I believe we are beginning to see signs that Europe is no longer Jolla's primary market focus

You didn't pay attention - it never was. ;-P

m4r0v3r
2014-10-19, 23:17

I (for one) would not buy Jolla Phone if it wasn't compatible with my banking (Android) application.
Having the ability to kill commute time with all the games I buy on Humble Bundle and stocked on Google Play store helps too.

This paranoia against this thin, stripped-down Alien Dalvik layer is just silly.

its not the paranoia, its the fact that one major application that would be expected to be native on Jolla came to Android.

And no I think the Android layer is great, makes life much easier when the browsers being a prick and won't play soundcloud, but in the long run partners will just think whats the point of porting it over, theres an android layer. Thats the only issue IMO.

Maybe people are right, maybe am expecting wayy too much from such a small start up and true be told am pretty happy with my Jolla atm.

The only thing it doesn't have is the magic of the N900, but who can blame Jolla for that lol

LouisDK
2014-10-20, 04:00

If a normal user picks up a Jolla he'll might find the Silicia UI very refreshing and interesting, however he might feel disappointed after installing a lot of Android apps and exploring inconsistency, apps crashing and a hungry battery after playing an Android game for ~15 min. battery level drops at least 10%. Even after an Android app is closed it continue to use RAM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-WBODo4Eno).

Furthermore do to the focus on marketing the Jolla phone as capable of running Android apps the new user might be greatly disappointed when he's not able to install any app from Google Play with a few clicks and some of his favorite apps are not functioning probably.

smoku
2014-10-20, 06:58
its the fact that one major application that would be expected to be native on Jolla came to Android.

Do you have any data to support that claim?

That was my thinking at the beginning, but then I talked with some of my friends developing mobile applications - freelancing and at few companies, showing them Jolla Phone.
They point of view is - if the market is enough they will go for the native app anyway, as they would be unsure running on emulated layer. Ie. they are developing completely different apps for the same purpose (said banking application) for Android, Windows, iPhone, Blackberry, not using any common layer.

If there is no market - they would not simply develop an app at all.

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. Having the experience that their apps have problems working even on some exotic (Samsung anyone) Android phones.

Ergo - Alien Dalvik makes close to no difference for software developers - if there is no ROI for native app, they will not develop a native app. Period.

We just need to wait until Jolla takes a significant part of the market, implement paid apps in the Store, allow more useful APIs in Store - and there will be native apps. :)

Android emulation layer is a factor in achieving that.

smoku
2014-10-20, 07:04
If a normal user picks up a Jolla he'll might find the Silicia UI very refreshing and interesting,

Really?!
My experience is 180deg different - normal users find Silica UI confusing. Even when I show them how to operate gestures they have problems.

As for Android Apps?
- Oh! You have Beat Hazard? Gimme! Any cool tunes?

disappointed when he's not able to install any app from Google Play with a few clicks and some of his favorite apps are not functioning probably.

Yet the community disses having Android apps in Jolla Store... right...

m4r0v3r
2014-10-20, 08:23
Do you have any data to support that claim?

That was my thinking at the beginning, but then I talked with some of my friends developing mobile applications - freelancing and at few companies, showing them Jolla Phone.
They point of view is - if the market is enough they will go for the native app anyway, as they would be unsure running on emulated layer. Ie. they are developing completely different apps for the same purpose (said banking application) for Android, Windows, iPhone, Blackberry, not using any common layer.

If there is no market - they would not simply develop an app at all.

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. Having the experience that their apps have problems working even on some exotic (Samsung anyone) Android phones.

Ergo - Alien Dalvik makes close to no difference for software developers - if there is no ROI for native app, they will not develop a native app. Period.

We just need to wait until Jolla takes a significant part of the market, implement paid apps in the Store, allow more useful APIs in Store - and there will be native apps. :)

unsure what you mean by data, but the YouUnited application was expected to be integrated as a plugin with maybe a host application to control it, but so far nothing, and while yes it still maybe possible for a native application no such luck so far. I suppose it may help if Jolla allowed paid apps

smoku
2014-10-20, 10:21
but the YouUnited application was expected to be integrated as a plugin

What do you mean by "was expected"?

strongm
2014-10-20, 11:08
unsure running on emulated layer ...

Having an emulation layer is the user choice and they were pretty surprised their apps worked so well on non-android phone. ...

Alien Dalvik is not an emulator. It is a Dalvik VM, just like the one that runs Android apps on Android phones.

m4r0v3r
2014-10-20, 21:08
What do you mean by "was expected"?

well from the release the community expected, ie WE a native effort.

juiceme
2014-10-21, 05:17
well from the release the community expected, ie WE a native effort.

Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?

Besides, it should not be that hard to implement by oneself, I'd imagine the specification is public or if not, there's the android implementation to study.

(disclaimer: I have to confess I have not looked at it since I don't need it; I am using my own cloud for my needs...)

ZogG
2014-10-21, 06:49
Expectations aside, I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?

Oh common, do not play advocates here, what next? We'll be told "but our fingers were crossed behind our back"? Surely partnership with certain companies that have mobile apps would mean at least native apps( btw we had angry birds even on n900). As well as it was mentioned that there would be TOHs with content. None of it come along yet.
You can't always tell that Jolla is so much better than android when all the store is full mostly of android apps and latest thing that was released is android launcher (like Nokia did btw). So if it quaks like a duck, looks like a duck and walks like a duck - it is android, I mean duck :)

Not first time things were promised and changed last minute or set to "right we did not tell you when or what"

strongm
2014-10-21, 07:12
I don't think that was ever stated either by Jolla or by F-Secure, right?

That's a somewhat disingenuous comment, isn't it?

It'd be a bit like Apple announcing a partnership with Rockstar Games to bring their games to the Mac, 6 months later finding out that this was going actually going to be delivered via Bootcamp. You can pretty much bet under those circumstances that Mac users (or at least those Mac users who are games players) would quite rightfully be somewhat disappointed, even if the original press release had not specifically stated that Rockstar would be producing native versions.

And can you imagine how the Jolla community would laugh at Ubuntu phone fans if something similar were to happen to them?

smoku
2014-10-21, 07:33
Not first time things were promised [...]

Did you notice how swiftly you went from "the community expected" to "things were promised"?

smoku
2014-10-21, 07:35
Alien Dalvik is not an emulator. It is a Dalvik VM, [...]

And what is a VM?

Let's see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
"In computing, a virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of [...]"

benny1967
2014-10-21, 09:38
Oh common, do not play advocates here, what next? We'll be told "but our fingers were crossed behind our back"? Surely partnership with certain companies that have mobile apps would mean at least native apps( btw we had angry birds even on n900). As well as it was mentioned that there would be TOHs with content.

It's close to malignant to say that "they must have meant what I understood". In fact, the press release for example for the Rovio partnership mentioned exactly what should be expected... and it did not mention a native port of Angry Birds.

(Which does not, of course, change the fact that the announced features weren't released, either.)

When you say "do not play advocates" it translates to "do not care what they said, let's talk about what I wished for".

ZogG
2014-10-21, 09:41
Did you notice how swiftly you went from "the community expected" to "things were promised"?

So basically shown TOHs with angry birds symbol is not a promise?
Sorry my bad ;)
Probably it's same as when I pre-ordered it was written LE jolla than it became LE TOH, which was said to be unique colour, than it was released publicly. The point here is they do make statements and then boom..
Same as open sourcing parts and etc.
Surely we can start checking every word and every punctuation. But I'll be sure we were promised to resolve Nokia mistakes and do it better, to be unlike.

All I see is PR with shiny promises that are not a statements, so they are just made for noise and nothing actually come of it :) reminds me of Apple's "think different" and all the promises and calling IBM big brother and where they are today? Jolla just made shortcut to save few years ;)

ZogG
2014-10-21, 09:42
It's close to malignant to say that "they must have meant what I understood". In fact, the press release for example for the Rovio partnership mentioned exactly what should be expected... and it did not mention a native port of Angry Birds.

(Which does not, of course, change the fact that the announced features weren't released, either.)

When you say "do not play advocates" it translates to "do not care what they said, let's talk about what I wished for".

I do not really want angry birds and do not care, I want native apps and support. And no, I do not mean "what I wish" I mean what is logical and benefit for community and not PR!
P.S. I do expect both angry birds and younite released, but I'm not talking about lack of angry birds but of released younite app being not native. Tell me what was promised there please ;)

strongm
2014-10-21, 09:55
And what is a VM?

Let's see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
"In computing, a virtual machine (VM) is an emulation of [...]"

So - what is Dalvik emulating, then? You probably want to read the entire article, rather than just the executive summary.

Dalvik is a process VM, just like the Java Virtual Machine, or the .Net framework, neither of which emulate anything at all (except in a very, very abstract sense)

bockersjv
2014-10-21, 10:23
Surely it is not difficult to understand why some of us are dissapointed with what has been inferred and what has not been delivered by Jolla?

A year on I did expect more. I was looking forward to smooth native apps and interesting TOHs from Jolla or the partners they had lined up. But other than some fantastic individual efforts there is been nothing from Jolla or any other company to drive sailfish app development or produce content TOHs. I think it is fair to say that at this point, given what had been achieved in the 10 months prior to launch, we all expected a little more.

To me, taking a subjective view, I worry at the current scenario. Partnerships coming to little and releases slipping has an ominous feel. I suppose the current target is launching in the East, maybe that will provide the numbers and money to allow further progress/investment.

P@t
2014-10-21, 11:17
I was indeed expecting more from those partnership and I still think that at the end, we will see something native from Younited and something more Jolla-specific from Angry Birds (not that I care too much)
BUT
that is again the same story: they do what they can and they try to address as much as possible concerns and issues, while they try to expand... all that with their 100 pair of hands.

If they are too slow for you, then what to say: be patient probably. I am quite confident that Jolla is probably too slow for lots of sailors too :P and they probably are late in the original schedule.

This is completely fine of course to complain and they definitely made some choices that do not fit with some people. But when you run a business, you have to decide: they try to find a balance between satisfying first/current consumers and attract new consumers.

With regards to having more native development, I think they try to attract xda-developpers, and all those currently in Android as a second-best or even because nothing could fit their needs (a lot being 'linux' people). So having some android connection is the way to talk to them, and let them try.

At the end, I do not think they promote Android apps but be realistic, there is still a long way before sailfishos can be independant from Android apps (of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).

pichlo
2014-10-21, 11:38
(of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).

At least one. I am typing this reply on it.

I seriously believe that the Android support was a bad move. It's one of those short-term wins that is a loss in the long-term. No one other than a handful of die-hard supporters is going to spend time developing native apps now. Why would they? To reach the 10000 potential users? When they can spend their time developing the same app for Android and reach the same 10000 but also 99990000 more?

I am afraid that for most customers, Jolla is nothing but yet another Android phone with a novel UI :(

smoku
2014-10-21, 11:56
So - what is Dalvik emulating, then?

Dalvik is emulating The JavaŽ Virtual Machine (http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/index.html).

strongm
2014-10-21, 13:23
Dalvik is emulating The JavaŽ Virtual Machine (http://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jvms/se7/html/index.html).

It isn't, you know (and I wasn't asking the question out of curiosity or ignorance)

juiceme
2014-10-21, 15:46
So basically shown TOHs with angry birds symbol is not a promise?
Sorry my bad ;)

Actually I DO agree with you here, however you took my words out of context.

If you read back What I said, it was;

Now where do I mention angry birds on my message....

To repeat; I am of the mind that Jolla should launch an Angry Birds TOH and a matching theme. Yes, and the quicker the better :D

juiceme
2014-10-21, 15:57
At the end, I do not think they promote Android apps but be realistic, there is still a long way before sailfishos can be independant from Android apps (of course, you can live without android support but how many Jolla do not have android support installed?).

Yep, here's one :D

I actually did download the android compability package, just to see what it looked like, but never even installed a single android application on it, just deleted the package from my system after looking at it.

It might be a strange idea to grasp to some people, but I am not an "app kind of guy", I tend to write the stuff I need on the spot, usually with standard set of unix tools.

m4r0v3r
2014-10-21, 16:52

Besides, it should not be that hard to implement by oneself, I'd imagine the specification is public or if not, there's the android implementation to study.

(disclaimer: I have to confess I have not looked at it since I don't need it; I am using my own cloud for my needs...)

But you would assume that wouldn't you?

If WhatsApp became a partner of Jolla you would assume a native client of WhatsApp that wasn't community driven and the community driven one would most likely cease to exist.

Since whats the point in a partnership with a company if they were not going to really do anything for your device (e.g something native)? I mean f-secure was clearly coming to android anyway (am assuming that there application is somewhat new) that it wouldn't of made a difference to us (the users) whether a partnership was forged or not. Well aside from wacky themes and novelty otherhalfs.

All this does is give f-secure more publicity with Jolla users.

ZogG
2014-10-21, 20:32
Actually I DO agree with you here, however you took my words out of context.

If you read back What I said, it was;

Now where do I mention angry birds on my message....

To repeat; I am of the mind that Jolla should launch an Angry Birds TOH and a matching theme. Yes, and the quicker the better :D

You said about what promises I was talking, so it was one of them ;) And i personally do not really want TOHs with themes and ringtones. I can get stickers and music from other resources, I expected more "hardware" TOHs. And if someone mention something about limited resources I will slap them as we can see that only 2 people on their on spare time and own resources can do more. Yes I mean all the LeToh and funkytohs and so on.

Btw i would like to point out that all people telling that Jolla is still here and they deliver and it's good, but it's only us expecting more are wrong in my point of view, because after all jolla is here and still exists because of people and not opposite. Because of those who support and spread the word, few devs who do code and surely all the pre-orders and fanboys( can't call someone otherwise who buys TOH just for theme for 30 euros with phone that has hw problems and "10+" native apps) . I think they actually need to pay back in some ways to people who still try to support them. But those relationships are only one way, which is the main problem. It's not only about UI or if it has FOSS core, otherwise we can use iPhone or even Android. It's about our involvement and cooperation. But as we asked still no bug tracker, no open road map, no open sourcing, no devs encouraging. All I see PR and those "shadow" statements with highlighting certain things but never making proper statement(e.g. Is "no native apps was promised and you can understand from cooperation anything", guess what, this way cooperation can me using users for own benefits only and PR each other)
They are not better than android in any FOSS way, except that android has communities that are more open and OS itself is more mature. If not java I would maybe ho android after all. On other hand there are windows and blackberry, though being closed source from the beginning they have more cooperation and "unlike"-ness, they try to squeeze into market with own benefits, they understand that after all user is ruling what is cool and what is not, they try to reach us. And please do kot talk about resources, I do understand the issues, but no one forced them or told them it would be easy, after all i'm end user and i pay not less that 400 euro for low spec phone with hw problems and no apps, so is it only my belief of them being what I want one day is all I get? If so it repeats history of maemo and we know where we'll get with it sadly, but with maemo being more open(ffs we can flash at least) community was able to make own updates and keep it alive, here we have dead end, though ironically mer and nemo actually were born here(oh and they did not want to even use TMO).
So again, yes there are news about Jolla, but what those news about? How users benefit from it? What we got from them up till now? More updates than N9? You compare updates by how many or quality and improvements? Do you consider that N9 was released more mature and that they told us to consider it as next step, but currently it is actually step backward( apps, features, UX, specs for price, even openess). I still do not get when people tell me "they already did a lot. The phone is awesome", I can tell that about any company or product. I even can say "they did nothing, phone is crappy" about any company or product, but facts after all are facts. It's being long way and waiting and as they said it would be different I still feel it as trick of "it's x from x+1 steps" like it was with maemo. Always thi"this time we make it right" and then they scratch everything and make same mistakes again. Not buying it anymore.

bockersjv
2014-10-22, 08:28
I agree with much of what ZogG says. I did not pre-order and the travel to Finland to collect my Jolla with the though that it may still be work in progress. I expected a far more mature product. A smart phone in fact.

I did expect, given the dev background, that it would pick up where the N9 left off. It would have a social feed screen and such like but with more up to date H/W and a few other goodies.

So yes i am disappointed. No social feed screen, but clearly a place holder for it, no sat nav solution, dysfunctional music player and terrible audio on video recordings and many other issues and missing functions.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into. I bought into a community idea where plans and intentions were shared and the views of customers heard and acted upon. I now see development slow to a crawl and still very limited Jolla native s/w. I am willing to pay for applications so why not provide me a method to pay and incentivise developers too?

Yes I know there are a limited number of sailors but that should not be an excuse, it was never stated up front that Jolla was restricted by this and given what had been achieved at launch (given the change of H/W chip) I expected similar progress post launch.

Sadly my Jolla sits in a drawer as it is just not smart enough for my usage needs at the moment.

benny1967
2014-10-22, 12:35
I agree with much of what ZogG says. I did not pre-order and the travel to Finland to collect my Jolla with the though that it may still be work in progress. I expected a far more mature product. [...]

So yes i am disappointed. No social feed screen, but clearly a place holder for it, no sat nav solution, dysfunctional music player and terrible audio on video recordings and many other issues and missing functions.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into.

[...]

Sadly my Jolla sits in a drawer as it is just not smart enough for my usage needs at the moment.

That's just sad for you - but you should move on and sell your Jolla if it's not for you. It will not change. No product in this world is made for everyone. Products have target groups and are tailored to their specific needs and expectations. It was a huge risk for all of us who pre-ordered to put our money into a product that we hadn't seen before, that we hardly knew anything about. Jolla and Sailfish were empty sheets and each of us drew his or her favorite phone onto these sheets in the most beautiful colors.

I was lucky, very lucky. My Jolla wasn't perfect from the beginning, but became my main phone after the March update and now exceeds my expectations by far. I'm proud to own it, happy to use it and very glad to see how things progress. It's much more useful to me than the N9 ever was. (Although I loved the N9, every aspect of it.)

You may have different usage patterns, other needs... and find out Jolla's not for you. That's the risk you took when you pre-ordered. It turned out bad in your case, good in mine. I just think it's not leading anywhere if you keep up the expectations you obviously had when you ordered. It's probably not that the Jolla phone is 'not mature enough' yet because it doesn't meet your expectations. It's just a different product, made for different people.

(OK, I admit that sometimes I explain to people I would never buy an iPhone because 'I'm the smartphone type of guy' and the iPhone 'isn't a samartphone yet'. So I do very much the same as you do. But I'm not serious about it. I know the iPhone makes certain people happy - and I'd suffer physical pain if I had to use it. It's just not my product, I'm not the target group. I would not wait for it to become what I want it to be via updates.)

P@t
2014-10-22, 15:04
I did expect, given the dev background, that it would pick up where the N9 left off. It would have a social feed screen and such like but with more up to date H/W and a few other goodies.

The excuse given is that Jolla is a small company and we will have to wait. Well that is not what I bought into.

Yes I know there are a limited number of sailors but that should not be an excuse, it was never stated up front that Jolla was restricted by this and given what had been achieved at launch (given the change of H/W chip) I expected similar progress post launch.

I think you made some errors when you pre-ordered:
- Jolla is not a N9 and was never intended to become a N9 with some updates
- Jolla is not Nokia
- Yes to have limited ressources means that Jolla is restricted. They have to make choices, to prioritize. Not sure how it cannot be the case?

At the end, Jolla became my main phone around March and never stopped to please me since then. I had never suffered from any nasty bugs so far : I was not expecting the phone to be working that well actually. That is why at first, I kept my N9 and waited a while before switching.
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed (like the browser misplaced click... or some connection problem but actually now quite rare) but I am as well so happy to see some aspects of the OS and of the community.

It is quite sad to see enthusiast people quite desperate about their Jolla phone because they were just expecting too much... (not sure what actually)

bockersjv
2014-10-27, 08:34
I think you made some errors when you pre-ordered:
- Jolla is not a N9 and was never intended to become a N9 with some updates
- Jolla is not Nokia
- Yes to have limited ressources means that Jolla is restricted. They have to make choices, to prioritize. Not sure how it cannot be the case?

At the end, Jolla became my main phone around March and never stopped to please me since then. I had never suffered from any nasty bugs so far : I was not expecting the phone to be working that well actually. That is why at first, I kept my N9 and waited a while before switching.
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed (like the browser misplaced click... or some connection problem but actually now quite rare) but I am as well so happy to see some aspects of the OS and of the community.

It is quite sad to see enthusiast people quite desperate about their Jolla phone because they were just expecting too much... (not sure what actually)

I was not expecting too much, just a phone that worked. I did not expect an N9 progression but expected to see aspects of the N9 MeeGo version working in Jolla i.e. the Social feeds screen, proper scrolling in screens, Turn by turn sat nav and a music player that works. Also a video recorder with acceptable sound would be good.

Jolla needs customers and needs to be a credible alternative rather than a hobbyist phone. I boarded early and knew there would be a bumpy ride, those bumps are continuing and i see no support from any partners for the Sailfish OS. I expected a lot more of that even without Jolla promises.

I have yet to see anyone else in the Uk with a Jolla or find a new user that is not completely baffled by the interface. It does make it a hard sell. I do however see people leaving the Jolla ship and very little contact from the company to the customers.

I do hope things change and will be keeping hold of my Jolla with the hope that it can become the smart phone I was sold.

smoku
2014-10-27, 11:01
Oh for sure, I would love to have some additional features (DLNA for instance, though it seems Jolla is working on something currently), some fine-tuning here & there, some bugs to be fixed [...]

There is one more aspect here...
When I'm not impressed with the state of things in SailfishOS/Jolla, nobody stops me from rolling my sleeves up, and coding my own solution. No jail to break out of, root just a click away, comprehensive documentation, familiar system...
And contrary to popular belief, there is a helpful community doing lots of experimentation, fine-tuning, tweaks etc. You just need to turn a deaf ear for malcontents made noise.

irulestar
2015-01-03, 18:21
Anx I Know what we likes from it is the swipe and ambaince :)
Just make it easy sir :D