PDA

View Full Version : I am saying good-bye to this community

Gavin
2014-10-25, 12:46
I wasnt sure where to post this.

I was so sad that I couldnt buy a Jolla device because it wouldnt really work in the united states.

I own both a N9 and N900. Those were the only smartphones I ever owned.

Now I am moving on to andriod. Wish me luck :0

Dave999
2014-10-25, 12:53

I was so sad that I couldnt buy a Jolla device because it wouldnt really work in the united states.

Goodbye :D

Donate your phones?

LouisDK
2014-10-25, 15:02

Goodbye and good luck.

However if I was in your situation I would move to Blackberry :)

Zero Six
2014-10-25, 15:05
I wasn't sure about this, but I think you'll be back :p

supergaban
2014-10-25, 15:31
I wasn't sure about this, but I think you'll be back :p

Lol it happened to me :D

irulestar
2014-10-25, 16:52
Lol it happened to me
Supergaban orang indonesia!?
Am I Wrong!? :) lol

salyavin
2014-10-25, 16:53
I'm in a smiliar place I also only ever owned N900 and N9 for phones (and N810 used like a SIP phone before that and Zaurus SL line before that). My wife uses android phones and it's not for me I think. I am hoping for an announcement from Jolla next month and failing that traction on Ubuntu phone (Meizu etc.) or less likely a fully functional Sailfish port to a Nexus or something (camera, bluetooth, calls, data, GPS). Blackberry has a more pleasing interface than android but it's not "hackable" enough.

jellyroll
2014-10-25, 16:53
welcome back!

irulestar
2014-10-25, 16:56
Lol it happened to me
You Have Jolla Phone!?
Where do you get it from!?
I cant found it from anywhere in indonesia both on Brunei Darusalam ....

ELProfeMcK
2014-10-25, 16:59

As a N900 and N9 user/owner I understand you, I live in the U.S too... Unfortunately :'(. I feel like one day Im moving to Europe, U.S sucks on technology, its all about apple and samsumg -_- like com'on I want Real technology, a Jolla!!!

panjgoori
2014-10-25, 17:03
Goodbye and good luck.

However if I was in your situation I would move to Blackberry :)

i did the same and im enjoying alot my BB Z10. beside my N900 is still lying beside my Z10 and i still sometime use it as my main phone when i want to try a new leak.

Gavin
2014-10-26, 01:12
I was strongly considering the blackberry z10 when it first came out.The OS reminded me me of meego. But i heard it had some software issues. So i decided not to buy it. I have been following the ubuntu touch scene but it doesnt seem like its going anywhere currently. (correct me if i am wrong) Not sure what happened to tizen.

If i don't change my mind I am buying the sony xperia z3 compact. I have it pre-ordered. Idk at this point I really want to try some new. I can always unlock the bootloader on the z3 when I get bored and try out some custom roms.

Hacker
2014-10-26, 06:28
I am in the US, still have my N9 and N900, but I have some of the same issues as the OP. I'd love a Jolla phone, but the US compatibility is just not there very much. Right now, the option of porting Sailfish OS onto an Android phone seems closest to being available to someone like me.

I went the BlackBerry route for the time being, getting both a Z10 (~$200 USD) and a Z30 (~$345 USD). I'd highly recommend either phone, but if you can afford the Z30, get that because the higher specs make for a smoother experience. The BB10 OS has come a long way and version 10.3 and 10.3.1 are now available as leaks for the techies on Crackberry.com and will be official starting next month over the air.

I hope that there is more information about Jolla2 phone and that it has 4G LTE compatibility with T-Mobile USA.

irulestar
2014-10-26, 09:01
I am in the US, still have my N9 and N900, but I have some of the same issues as the OP. I'd love a Jolla phone, but the US compatibility is just not there very much. Right now, the option of porting Sailfish OS onto an Android phone seems closest to being available to someone like me.

I went the BlackBerry route for the time being, getting both a Z10 (~$200 USD) and a Z30 (~$345 USD). I'd highly recommend either phone, but if you can afford the Z30, get that because the higher specs make for a smoother experience. The BB10 OS has come a long way and version 10.3 and 10.3.1 are now available as leaks for the techies on Crackberry.com and will be official starting next month over the air.

I hope that there is more information about Jolla2 phone and that it has 4G LTE compatibility with T-Mobile USA.
Can BB10/30 use theme!?

vistaus
2014-10-26, 10:47
The BB Z30 is indeed a pretty good device! My mum has a BB Z30 and she loves it :)

@irulestar: Kinda. There's an unofficial way to that, but not as comprehensive as, say, Android.

supergaban
2014-10-26, 14:54
Supergaban orang indonesia!?
Am I Wrong!? :) lol

yes i'm. surabaya exactly ;)

malfunctioning
2014-10-26, 15:27
Wrong forum.

abyzthomas
2014-10-26, 16:41
I am in the US, still have my N9 and N900, but I have some of the same issues as the OP. I'd love a Jolla phone, but the US compatibility is just not there very much.

Call me crazy!!

I live in US and have a 2G phone as my daily driver. I have wifi at home and wifi at work. I don't do a lot of browsing. I am constantly using my 2G phone all day for Calls, few Email accounts, SMS, Whatsapp, Owncloud News, Stock, Camera, Music, etc. My 2G phone is serving me well for what I need on weekdays.

I have a Z10, that I switch when I travel or on weekends if I have to be away from PC for too long.

I love my 2G phone. Went through hell to acquire it. So I am keeping it. Blackberry is close, but not quite as good as Sailfish.

I am interested in the OnePlus One phone if Sailfish OS gets ported over to it, but I don't think I can live with anything else at this time.

Edit: Forgot to mention. My kids play a ton of Android games on it. Even with couple hours of game playing, battery lasts 20+ hours most days. I can't say that about Z10. I use Waze most of the time and it works great on 2G (Tmobile).

irulestar
2014-10-26, 17:05
Wrong forum.
Sorry. Just want to know where did he got Jolla .. :D

irulestar
2014-10-26, 17:06
yes i'm. surabaya exactly
Oh. Good. So you have Jolla phone!?

vistaus
2014-10-26, 19:05
@abyz: Yeah, Z10 battery is not so good. My mum has the Z30 and she also plays a couple of Android games on it (aside from using the Hub and social media all the time) and is connected to 4G and WiFi. Battery lasts (esp. with the latest 10.3.1) at least 1 day, sometimes 1,5 days.

smoku
2014-10-26, 19:08

I'm just curious - Why wouldn't Jolla Phone work in USA?

You really do not have any 3G/LTE networks there?

malfunctioning
2014-10-26, 19:17
Sorry. Just want to know where did he got Jolla .. :D

No, I meant I posted in the wrong forum. :)

pichlo
2014-10-26, 19:19

This has been discussed to the death on TMO. In short, the Jolla modem does not support the 3G/4G frequencies used over there.

vistaus
2014-10-26, 19:40
Yup. The closest you come to using the Jolla phone in the USA if you really want 4G is to move to Canada...

Hacker
2014-10-26, 19:42
Can BB10/30 use theme!?

There are plenty of BlackBerry apps that can change the home screen wallpaper, lock screen wallpaper, color scheme, notification light behavior, etc. And I've heard that some Android apps also work to change the device's appearance, but I don't use Android for that, so I can't say from personal experience.

I prefer the look and flow of SailfishOS to BB10, so I would love a Sailfish theme for BB 10, but I haven't found any.

salyavin
2014-10-27, 01:36
I got a Jolla from a person who developed one thing on Sailfish used it heavily for a while then moved to the US and didn't tolerate 2G.
You can get a Jolla from ebay, many people in India are willing to ship worldwide.

kapu2
2014-10-27, 05:31

was that a serious question.

ste-phan
2014-10-27, 07:49

2G is just one of many compromises one needs to make to get around with Jolla without pushing the proliferation of the market dominance by major mobile operating systems.

-you can surf on 2G reasonably well; I used it a lot on N900 to save energy. Mostly I would only switch to 3G if I would want to setup an access point for a couple of laptops or Skype / SIP call.

I could make a point that those Skype and SIP are also not too well implemented by Jolla, so I would need LTE / 3G less, sadly but true.

Carry my OLD N900 as mobile 3G access point would be my solution in the USA. @ OP: You have the tools and I did not read the lines where you would sell the N900.

But then again, I think buying SIM cards should be like buying cigarettes/chewing gum, name your flavor, pay, consume. Contracts are tiresome.

LTE: nice feature but data limits don't allow to enjoy, don't know about USA.

-for navigation you can now download offline maps with Nokia Maps for Android

-the beautiful native IRC client on Jolla works pretty well on low bandwith

And with the current 100 Euro rebate on Jolla, I think you get just what you pay for: a beautiful alternative OS, however without 3G / LTE.

It all becomes easier when not using Android is your moral choice. If there was no Jolla I would also be inclined to try the Blackberry. If Canadian government doesn't order full plug into those after recent shootings, that is :rolleyes:

anyway, advice to OP is to sell or give away the Nokia's or be ready to say hello to this community soon :D

pichlo
2014-10-27, 09:21
I think buying SIM cards should be like buying cigarettes/chewing gum, name your flavor, pay, consume.

Except that you don't need to tell all your friends, family and business contacts what flavour of cigarettes/chewing gums you are using this month. SIM cards come with numbers attached.

And with the current 100 Euro rebate on Jolla, I think you get just what you pay for: a beautiful alternative OS, however without 3G / LTE.

Excellent. So those of us living in Europe get the same with 3G and LTE as an extra free bonus. A bargain! ;)

vistaus
2014-10-27, 10:38
Well, even 2G is not very reliable here in The Netherlands on my Jolla phone (at least on my carrier T-Mobile, I've heard better things from Dutch Jolla users on other carriers). Other than that, I'm happy with my Jolla phone. Even 4G works very nicely. It's just that T-Mobile kinda ***** in providing enough 3G/4G coverage even though I'm living in a big city that keeps on growing so sometimes I have to rely on 2G and it's not so good on the Jolla phone because I have to be very lucky to be able to even place a call on 2G which works fine on 3G and 4G.

smoku
2014-10-27, 11:13
This has been discussed to the death on TMO. In short, the Jolla modem does not support the 3G/4G frequencies used over there.

Crap... It didn't cross my mind, that anyone could just roll 3G/LTE standard changing just this "minor" detail...
Well... Who to forbid the rich?

ste-phan
2014-10-27, 12:24
Except that you don't need to tell all your friends, family and business contacts what flavour of cigarettes/chewing gums you are using this month. SIM cards come with numbers attached.

Sure, but I was thinking about putting that extra SIM in the N900 to use as WIFI access point for which the number is not so important, preferably something prepaid.

OP has an N900 and N9 with 3G/3.5G but I suppose his main SIM will be in the Jolla but the other devices could serve as access point.

Not the most elegant solution but I can't help that 's the way things are if you decide not to follow the mainstream solution.

2000: look how small my mobile phone :cool:

2014: see me dragging around 3 devices, one with keyboard, one with camera, and the other one with the OS that should have been running on the other two. :(

Zero Six
2014-10-27, 12:42
Oh. Good. So you have Jolla phone!?

I think you mistook it.
As what I saw, supergaban once leave this community (using android or ios or something not related with TMO) and then back again for some reasons.

As far I know, Jolla did not come to Indonesia yet, it's still not known whether it will come to Indonesia.
Only India and Hongkong are places in Asia where you can get Jolla.

Demati
2014-10-27, 14:13
Has anyone here tried using Sailfish on the Nexus 5?

I've been running it a couple of months now and I love it! Right now I have it installed with multirom so I can dual boot both CM11 and Sailfish.

There are only two things lacking in Sailfish on the Nexus 5: 1. The camera does not work 2. GPS (supposedly) works but there is no navigation software that I can use to test it. Otherwise I have bluetooth, 4G and all of the other goodies. I use it as a daily driver and swap over to Android any time I need NAV or the camera.

To all the US guys on this forum, this is seriously working great and will give you an almost fully functioning Sailfish experience.

n900user259
2014-10-27, 14:20
Has anyone here tried using Sailfish on the Nexus 5?

I've been running it a couple of months now and I love it! Right now I have it installed with multirom so I can dual boot both CM11 and Sailfish.

There are only two things lacking in Sailfish on the Nexus 5: 1. The camera does not work 2. GPS (supposedly) works but there is no navigation software that I can use to test it. Otherwise I have bluetooth, 4G and all of the other goodies. I use it as a daily driver and swap over to Android any time I need NAV or the camera.

To all the US guys on this forum, this is seriously working great and will give you an almost fully functioning Sailfish experience.

Have you tried the following navigation software to test the GPS?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93948&highlight=nokia+maps

Regards, n900user259

ste-phan
2014-10-27, 14:39
2000: look how small my mobile phone

2014: see me dragging around 3 devices, one with keyboard, one with camera, and the other one with the OS that should have been running on the other two.

2015:

What about a Jolla + Talkase other half (as 3G / LTE part via BT)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nanosmart/talkase-the-must-have-accessory-for-a-mobile-lifes

Talkase is designed in conjunction with a patented iPhone (Jolla?) case that snaps on easily to your existing smartphone. The case not only provides protection for your existing phone, but it also conveniently stores your Talkase phone, plus it doubles as storage and is capable of storing your credit cards.

Demati
2014-10-27, 14:40
Have you tried the following navigation software to test the GPS?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93948&highlight=nokia+maps

Regards, n900user259

I would love to try it in Sailfish but there is no Android runtime environment when I am booted to Sailfish. I have tried it on my CM11 installation, however.

I guess I can add the lack of Android support as a negative to Sailfish on the Nexus 5 (though it isn't much of a negative to me :-P ).

mscion
2014-10-27, 15:03
I would love to try it in Sailfish but there is no Android runtime environment when I am booted to Sailfish. I have tried it on my CM11 installation, however.

I guess I can add the lack of Android support as a negative to Sailfish on the Nexus 5 (though it isn't much of a negative to me :-P ).

It's ironic you can run many android apps on Jolla phone but can't run them on Sailfish ported to Android device. Anyways, No Android apps and no camera is a no go for me. I have a Jolla phone and live in the Washington DC area. I acutally like it and would have used it more but having 2G only is too painful. I just can't win....

Demati
2014-10-27, 15:59
It's ironic you can run many android apps on Jolla phone but can't run them on Sailfish ported to Android device. Anyways, No Android apps and no camera is a no go for me. I have a Jolla phone and live in the Washington DC area. I acutally like it and would have used it more but having 2G only is too painful. I just can't win....

I can understand that. It all comes down to how you use your phone. I am not really an app guy. I have maybe one or two apps that I need and Sailfish pretty much covers everything but navigation and camera. The dual boot option via multirom has been pretty great and it takes less than a minute to switch between them.

salyavin
2014-10-27, 16:22
mscion there's no alien dalvik support (android apps) as that is proprietary software that must be purchased, it is not something that can be included in Jolla's download. Jolla did not write it, they purchase it. Myriad Group is the writer of the android compatability software (alien dalvik).

I like to use navaigation and camera regularly myself. Camera more than navigation. Would be quite annoying hey wait a minute while I reboot my phone into an OS I don't care for so I can take a picture.

I'm sure some day they will get the camera and such working and I'll be able to look in that direction. If there really is a 2015 Jolla perhaps they will have a modem that can at least get 3G over here. I did just recently pick up a used Jolla from a European supporter who developed one item for it but gave up when he moved to the US and couldn't tolerate 2g so another developer down.

A decade or so ago I had a "utility belt", I much prefer the moden smartphone letting me carry just one device.

ajalkane
2014-10-27, 23:11
I have been following the ubuntu touch scene but it doesnt seem like its going anywhere currently.

The first Ubuntu Touch device is coming during this year from BQ.