PDA

View Full Version : Nethack

joq100
2006-01-03, 17:10
Has anybody been able to get Nethack working? When I start it, the device just restarts after a few seconds after killing the connection.
I'm on the latest OS by the way.

Thanks.

cAPSLOCK
2006-01-04, 09:24
I am pretty sure something about the latest OS hoses Nethack, yes. Same thing here, and at least one other person has reported the same.

I did email the developer of the port to let him know and he responded he would look into it, though he said the program should not crash the 770.

With the fair amount of crashing I am seeing I wouldn't be surprised if it is OS related.

I sure miss my Nethack ;)

But the better response from the 770 in general is worth both it's lack and the occasional spontaneous reboot...

cAPS

funkapus
2006-01-04, 09:43
not strictly on topic, but how do you load savegames?

Maxxy
2006-01-04, 17:15
Yeah, Nethack ran fine on my 770 until I applied the latest update, I get the same crash now :(
Hope he fixes it, its a sweet game.

cAPSLOCK
2006-01-04, 22:54
not strictly on topic, but how do you load savegames?
By typing in the name of the player when the game starts.

Once a player is killed, there is no more save file. Game over.

Of corse if you are a mild cheater like me you have a backup/restore shell script waiting in the home/user directory ... :)

cAPS

kbellve
2006-01-11, 17:42
bummer..just tried to play nethack and it just rebooted my 770...

But, it is a fast way to reboot :-)

thedarksavant
2006-01-14, 07:30
Same here. My 770 is brand new, so I never even got to play :(

cAPSLOCK
2006-01-14, 08:40
I miss my little barbarian Valkirie...

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!

OK... I will now drink a calming potion of patience. ;)

Chainsaw76
2006-01-15, 13:25
Anyone tried compiling under the newly released maemo 1.1? did it/would it make any difference?

I did, although I am NOT a linux C guru, I know just enough to mess everything up royaly. I got an error on the compile (after about 5 minutes)

cc -O -I../include -c ../win/tty/wintty.c
cc -O -I../include `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags` `pkg-config hildon-libs --cflags` `pkg-config libosso --cflags` `pkg-config dbus-1 --cflags` -c ../win/gtk2/g2bind.c
cc -O -I../include `pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags` `pkg-config hildon-libs --cflags` `pkg-config libosso --cflags` `pkg-config dbus-1 --cflags` -c ../win/gtk2/g2main.c
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkx.h:33,
from /usr/include/hildon-lgpl/hildon-widgets/hildon-appview.h:34,
from /usr/include/hildon-lgpl/hildon-widgets/hildon-app.h:29,
from ../win/gtk2/g2main.c:24:
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h:82: error: conflicting types for `wchar_t'
/scratchbox/compilers/i686-linux-gcc-3.3_3.3.4-glibc-2.3.2.ds1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-linux/3.3.4/include/stddef.h:325: error: previous declaration of `wchar_t'
make[3]: *** [g2main.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/targets/SDK_PC/usr/src/nethack_osso/nethack-3.4.3/src'
make[2]: *** [nethack] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/targets/SDK_PC/usr/src/nethack_osso/nethack-3.4.3'
make[1]: *** [nethack-3.4.3/src/nethack] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/targets/SDK_PC/usr/src/nethack_osso'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

Ideas? Would it even mater if I did get it compiled?

-Jason

Josep Torra
2006-02-13, 16:37
Hi ppl,

I uploaded new nethack packages on my blog http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/ . It runs ok with last firmware and has some inteface customization acording my preferences.

Sorry if my english is not good as I would like.

Chainsaw76
2006-02-13, 17:07
Nice work Josep.

Issues:
If I choose an occupation, a race, a gender, but leave alignment on random (even if there is only one alignment available), the ok button isn't activated. If I click the random button then everything is randomized, even the stuff I selected.

I'd like to see the OK button highlighted as soon as an occupation is selected, with it randomizing anything I haven't specified.

In full screen mode, I'd like a small margin on the left.. the text is butted right against the edge of the screen.

Other than that AWESOME.. I'm on my way to certain death as we speak..
-Jason

Josep Torra
2006-02-16, 11:21
Hi ppl,

I uploaded new nethack packages on my blog http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/ .
The issue "In full screen mode, I'd like a small margin on the left.. " corrected
I'll try work on player selection dialog this weekend.

Chainsaw76
2006-02-16, 13:17
I had a case earlier this week, where NH wouldn't start. It would crash as soon as you hit ok on a player name.

The solution was to go into the ~/.nethack (i think thats right) directory and delete all the lock files. After that it fired right up.

Again, Excelent work. I've been a rougue/nethack addict since ~1986 and went to college with a friend of one of the original Rogue creators.

-Jason

cAPSLOCK
2006-02-20, 00:39
Oh glorious day!

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!!

Josep Torra
2006-02-20, 22:51
Hi ppl,

I added a new build today.

Improvements are:

- Left margin
- Randomized gender and alignment
- Cast spell icon on toolbar

Good luck in the dungeons

acdczip
2006-06-04, 05:07
Install and play with nethack a little today.

After several starts the game crashes.

I did a little bit of tracing and figured out nethack is generating *lock.0 file every time it closes. After it gets to dlock.0 the game crashes at player select. If you delete these files the game will start but you won't be able to load your save games.

What do these files do anyway?
Does anybody else have this problem?
And does anybody have a solution for it?

nosam
2007-12-08, 00:50
Hi, I have a 770 and am looking forward to getting nethack running. My first try I had the same bug that others had - it install and then when u run it, nothing happens. People have explained how to fix this (thanks chainsaw), but I thought I would also post what I found on the developer's own blog. This info is VERY buried in the comments to an early post, so I am putting it here so it's easier to access by anyone who needs it:

[Thank you very much to Josep for making nethack posssible on out ITs. Hope its okay to post this info from your blog]

"Anonymous said...
I have been having problems with the 2006 nethack. It would install fine but when i go to run it nothing happens. I've tried reinstalling it and the 2006 OS but it still doesn't work. I might go back to the 2005 OS if it doesn't start working for me. I can't stand playing on the computer, it's so much easier on the 770.

24/7/06 01:25
Jep said...
I'm using IT2006 and nethack with no problems.
The game is a bit slow on start.
You can try remove user/.nethackdir it will be created again when you run the game the first time.

With xterm do:
/ $ cd
~ $ rm -rf .nethackdir

Before removing the nethack directroy you can backup your current game with file manager, go to documents/games/nethack dir and copy the compressed file located there.

24/7/06 15:57
Anonymous said...
thank's a lot, it worked