PDA

View Full Version : "Next phone to be made together with partners"

bluefoot
2014-12-12, 19:06
From the Finnish Arvopaperi article yesterday - here (http://www.arvopaperi.fi/uutisarkisto/jolla+hakee+uutta+rahaa+kasvuun+edessa+liiketoimin nan+skaalaaminen/a1035958). Translation is google translate.

Also, the next phone is made together with partners. It will also be on sale at some point Jolla name, but the main thing is to make a reference model, which helps device manufacturers to design quickly your product.

Myös seuraava puhelin tehdään yhdessä kumppanien kanssa. Se tulee jossain vaiheessa myyntiin myös Jollan nimellä, mutta pääasia on tehdä referenssimalli, joka auttaa laitevalmistajia suunnittelemaan nopeasti oman tuotteen.

If they're actually moving forward with a partner, or partners, all I can say is thank **** for that! It ought to result in a much better device and will hopefully involve much less cost being incurred by Jolla. Really hope it's high quality Chinese OEMs.

Dave999
2014-12-12, 19:10
Great ****ing News!

http://i.imgur.com/jUdBKTS.gif

does that mean 3G incoming to tablet?

bluefoot
2014-12-12, 19:21
Article was discussing Asia (China more specifically) and potential there. Intel is their tablet partner. Phone focused Chinese OEMs / e-commerce platforms don't have much to do with Intel tables.

Dave999
2014-12-12, 19:25
Bad ****ing news!

http://www.sheawong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/The-office-NOOOOOOOOO-gif.gif

bluefoot
2014-12-12, 19:29
Most mid-high end Chinese smartphones have both worldwide GSM & 3G compatibility out of the box, and with increasing frequency LTE too. If the device isn't offered to the US by Jolla, I'm sure you could import it from China.

ste-phan
2014-12-12, 22:14
Article was discussing Asia (China more specifically) and potential there. Intel is their tablet partner. Phone focused Chinese OEMs / e-commerce platforms don't have much to do with Intel tables.

You mean the same Intel that succesfully performed these delaying Maemo 6 manoeuvrings in order to serve Nokia as ready to eat meal to its true partner, Microsoft? Please, noooo.. :rolleyes:

"Intel and Nokia just announced a new project called MeeGo. MeeGo is supposed to be the result of merging Maemo and Moblin, bringing together the best pieces of those (already quite similar platforms). Interestingly this means that Intel will be sponsoring a mobile Linux distro which will run on ARM."

bluefoot
2014-12-12, 23:11
You mean the same Intel that succesfully performed these delaying Maemo 6 manoeuvrings in order to serve Nokia as ready to eat meal to its true partner, Microsoft? Please, noooo.. :rolleyes:

"Intel and Nokia just announced a new project called MeeGo. MeeGo is supposed to be the result of merging Maemo and Moblin, bringing together the best pieces of those (already quite similar platforms). Interestingly this means that Intel will be sponsoring a mobile Linux distro which will run on ARM."

I don't think that was in any way Intel's plan. Microsoft ending up with the carcass of the Nokia handset business and a giant portfolio of patents, at a time when MS were already very clearly courting ARM, was absolutely the last thing Intel would have wanted. There haven't been any Intel Lumias and there won't be.

Anyway, no matter how big the 'incentives' and 'marketing' money offered by Intel, there's no way Intel will be an attractive prospect for mobile phones. Without telephony, they can bribe their way into tablets, but even for small players like Jolla, in phones they have no useful solution.

Phones won't be Intel. What's interesting is what the initial "reference platform" SoC that they talk about will be. Easy option would probably be Qualcomm, but they'd be going against the trend. If they want to make the biggest splash in mid to high end Chinese handsets going forward, they'd probably be best off going with Mediatek. Almost all the top Chinese OEMs have some Mediatek handsets in all price categories. Some are beginning to diminish or deprecate Qualcomm offerings now. RockChip are making some inroads, and several OEMs are making their own SoCs (ZTE, Huawei, Lenovo). Even Samsung may look to move into the high end aggressively with lots of 20nm and 14nm FINFET capacity coming online next year.

salyavin
2014-12-13, 01:17
Does that article imply they already, right now have a partner or partners signed or are they still in discussion and have no manufacturer lined up at all yet? I recall they've been wanting partners since the beginning but not sure they have any secured yet.

bluefoot
2014-12-13, 02:33
Does that article imply they already, right now have a partner or partners signed or are they still in discussion and have no manufacturer lined up at all yet? I recall they've been wanting partners since the beginning but not sure they have any secured yet.

The tone used (and I later asked a Finnish friend to confirm accuracy) would indeed imply that they are moving forward with partners, and talking about a device appearing later / at some point with Jolla branding would suggest that they've reached an agreement under those terms. Previously all talk about hardware partners has been figurative, or almost pleading.

salyavin
2014-12-13, 04:36
Oh if that's so this could indeed be quite good news for the future of Jolla.

Kangal
2014-12-14, 03:16
MediaTek + Oppo + FlymeOS.... roll all that into Jolla I say.

Oppo makes great hardware.
MediaTek makes great internal chips.
FlymeOS makes great design/user experience.
Jolla can make a mobile linux distro.
...together all four companies have enough dough to spend.

Dave999
2014-12-14, 07:41
MediaTek + Oppo + FlymeOS.... roll all that into Jolla I say.

Oppo makes great hardware.
MediaTek makes great internal chips.
FlymeOS makes great design/user experience.
Jolla can make a mobile linux distro.
...together all four companies have enough dough to spend.

FLYME os going with Ubuntu so they don't need another Rookieos right now. Oppo would be great since it seems there was some strange decisions with cayanmod so bring in sail would be great.

Also partners could bring 3g to tablet so if they find a smart partner. 3g is a done deal and JPad will have an edge over all budget tablets.

hhbbap
2014-12-14, 11:22
Related to Vsenn's:"Modular Smartphone Wants to Offer Ubuntu, SailfishOS" ?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/12/modular-smartphone-ara-rival-ubuntu-touch
:cool::cool:

Kangal
2014-12-14, 11:28
Honestly what's the point of 3G in a tablet?
Tablets are the future of computing sure, but most desktops/laptops/hybrids/tablets don't have that feature.

Besides if you're gonna go that route you might as well add telephony and 4G. And if you're at that cross path you might as well make a smart/superphone.

Its more meaningful for Jolla to break out of this community and more into mainstream like CyanogenMOD, OnePlus, or Oppo.

As long you have something good to offer and the framework for handling distribution and services... there's not much that can go wrong. So it would be better for Jolla to improve the product than add 3G for such a small niche.

Dave999
2014-12-14, 11:37
Honestly what's the point of 3G in a tablet?
Tablets are the future of computing sure, but most desktops/laptops/hybrids/tablets don't have that feature.

But then you can easily connect this to laptop. Surface Pro rocks :D Just the wrong OS.
http://images.store.orange.com/b/huawei-e3276-usb-modem-4g-lte-fdd-dl150mbps-ul50mbps-category-4-usb-dongle-250417.jpg

Besides if you're gonna go that route you might as well add telephony and 4G. And if you're at that cross path you might as well make a smart/superphone.

Correct but that takes even more effort, But I would love that in all my tablets...but one step at the time. first 3G...

Its more meaningful for Jolla to break out of this community and more into mainstream like CyanogenMOD, OnePlus, or Oppo.

As long you have something good to offer and the framework for handling distribution and services... there's not much that can go wrong. So it would be better for Jolla to improve the product than add 3G for such a small niche.

Why not do both...as long as they don't have partners that decides to follow the main road. I'm sure they look for any partner they can get.

Meanwhile they should do something unexpected and give its customers some cool useful like 3G. or why not an full usb and driver so we can plug in out usb modems :D

Kangal
2014-12-14, 14:08
But then you can easily connect this to laptop. Surface Pro rocks :D Just the wrong OS.
http://images.store.orange.com/b/huawei-e3276-usb-modem-4g-lte-fdd-dl150mbps-ul50mbps-category-4-usb-dongle-250417.jpg

Correct but that takes even more effort, But I would love that in all my tablets...but one step at the time. first 3G...

Why not do both...as long as they don't have partners that decides to follow the main road. I'm sure they look for any partner they can get.

Meanwhile they should do something unexpected and give its customers some cool useful like 3G. or why not an full usb and driver so we can plug in out usb modems :D

You know I was pondering the same thing.
The hardest part about offering 4G/3G/telephony featureset is the fact that you have to go through several layers of hoops in terms of the industry ie to get approval.

Why not do the software part, and leave an internal usb slot open?
Have a "third party" option so that the community users can plug it in and download some files from the repo. Something that the niche of the niche would be interested in.

Sort of like having those emulator consoles which provide everything except the ROMs. I know its like a legal loophole, but it wouldn't require as much time, money, staff if this 3G means was taken, contrast to the approval process.

I rather see a well rounded device shipped on time, rather than something that is rushed and way overdue. You know I've got a point.

Dave999
2014-12-21, 19:19
Anyone know what partners? I hope is not DNA & Co but hardware partners.