PDA

View Full Version : New Raspberry Pi 2 released, Quad core ARM Cortex A7, 1gb RAM

MINKIN2
2015-02-02, 18:00
It's certainly a nice jump up in specs and it does open up the possibilities for even more distros!

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as*Microsoft Windows 10.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

I am a little peeved though, I upgraded to the Model B+ at Christmas, if only they had given us some prior warning of a new model ahead of release.

minimos
2015-02-02, 18:21
It's certainly a nice jump up in specs and it does open up the possibilities for even more distros!

It does it, indeed! https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support
:p

wicket
2015-02-02, 18:27
Great news that they are now using ARM v7 ISA. That means that real Debian can be used instead of Raspbian so hopefully we should see more packages focused on embedded Linux making their way back into mainline Debian. With an RPi 2 device tree, I'll be able to pop my N900 Debian SD card into it and use the same Debian installation with an HD display and a full keyboard and mouse. :)

kyllerbuzcut
2015-02-02, 20:48
Just ordered one of these beauties here in the UK. Anyone know of possibilities of actually hooking up the n900 innards onto the Pi2? (Got a broken usb on mine you see :( ) It would be great to see my old maemo 5 boot up on the Pi2 on my TV

AND perhaps even use the n900 keyboard and screen - selotape (ok not really selotape :p) it onto the Pi and use it as a "portable" computer with it all running off the battery, It would be like some mega weird tablet lol -Just an idea at the moment lol. But maybe a possible project I will make myself do.

nokiabot
2015-02-03, 04:37
widows for iot not regular windows to be clear

Kangal
2015-02-03, 10:23
Interesting.

Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???

nodevel
2015-02-03, 11:25
Oh, just three months after I bought the B+.

The question what to do with it has dozens of answers - I for one am using it as a multimedia center and couldn't be happier with it. The performance is fine on the B+, but in case I decide to go for the 2, does anyone know what is the difference in power consumption?
I measured that an always running (let's say playing video) B+ should cost around $6 per year with my power provider. I've read that this new model should consume more, though.

EDIT: Sorry pichlo, edited the post to add the consumption period just between you read and quoted it, so i's already in your quote ;)

pichlo
2015-02-03, 11:31
I measured that an always running (let's say playing video) B+ should cost around $6 per year with my power provider.

Per day? Week? Decade?

EDIT:
Blind me, did not notice your edit :)

EDIT 2:
Wow, is energy so pricey in CZ? Using Oblomow's figures below, I calculated that running 24/7 at full 2.43W power consumes about 21.3kWh per year. With my energy provider, that costs about £3.

Oblomow
2015-02-03, 11:37
The performance is fine on the B+, but in case I decide to go for the 2, does anyone know what is the difference in power consumption?

According to this (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Raspberry-Pi-2-4-Kerne-1-GByte-RAM-und-Windows-10-2534719.html) german article, power consumption is the same at idle (1.5W), slightly higher at full single-core-load ( 1.75W vs. 1.6W for the B+), and about 1W higher at full quad core load (2.43W). But keep in mind the new CPU is ~1.5x faster in single task benchmarks, so I'd guess for the same task their power consumption will be equal, or even slightly less for the 2, if you are overclocking your B+.

HtheB
2015-02-03, 12:00
Interesting.

Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???
Popcorntime? :rolleyes:

Jedibeeftrix
2015-02-03, 12:00
nice update, but shame they didn't go to ARM v8 since they decided to jump uarch from v6 anyway with this update.

nodevel
2015-02-03, 12:02
power consumption is the same at idle (1.5W), slightly higher at full single-core-load ( 1.75W vs. 1.6W for the B+), and about 1W higher at full quad core load (2.43W)
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. That's not too bad.

Wow, is energy so pricey in CZ? Using Oblomow's figures below, I calculated that running 24/7 at full 2.43W power consumes about 21.3kWh per year. With my energy provider, that costs about £3.

I was also quite surprised with the figures, but then I remembered that I made my calculations according to this post (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18043&p=182118) and its "worst case scenario" which predicted about 5W and therefore ~ 44kWh.

Electricity in CZ costs around 4.8CZK/kWh which is around €0.17/$0.2/£0.13 per kWH.

If it is just 2.4W or even 1.6W, it is still far less expensive.

juiceme
2015-02-03, 13:40
You have to take into account the convversion loss in your PSU so even if the device consumes 2.4w total probably comes up to 4...5 watts or so.

pagis
2015-02-03, 15:26
so the most important feature of Raspberry Pi 2 is the increased power consumption from 1.6W to 2.4W ... the fact that it provides double the RAM and a faster multiple core CPU is nothing!

sulu
2015-02-03, 15:57
I am a little peeved though, I upgraded to the Model B+ at Christmas, if only they had given us some prior warning of a new model ahead of release.Then hear this:
Don't buy the Pi 2, because the Pi 3 is going to be released "soon"!

Now the question isn't whether to buy or not, it is "what will I do with it once I have it" ???No, the real question is:
If you think you have a use for the Pi 2, why haven't you bought some other arm board yet?
The Pi 2 specs look a lot like a Cubieboard 2 or a Cubietruck. Granted, these are more expensive, but the Pi 2 is also quite late on the market.
So unless you have serious funding problems the niche the Pi 2 could fill should already be filled.

so the most important feature of Raspberry Pi 2 is the increased power consumption from 1.6W to 2.4W ... the fact that it provides double the RAM and a faster multiple core CPU is nothing!Right! The point is to bring your fuel oil bill down. The CPU cycles are just a side effect.
It's basically the Heatball principle:
http://heatball.de/en/

pichlo
2015-02-03, 17:14
So unless you have serious funding problems the niche the Pi 2 could fill should already be filled.

That depends. Sure, if you have a burning need to do a certain task and are looking for a product to do the task, then you are absolutely spot on.

On the other hand, here is a cheap toy. And - yey! - it can actually do stuff! Why don't I buy one and play with it? There. A niche filled :)

It's basically the Heatball principle:

I love it. 95% efficiency. But I would say that's way too wasteful. A good heatball should give at least 98% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb#Efficacy.2C_efficiency.2C_ and_environmental_impact).

BTW, this sentence took me three reads until I got it. What a difference a missing comma makes: "The input energy that a heatball consumes is the effort, its heat is the benefit while light portion is the loss." (Missing comma after benefit.)

Oblomow
2015-02-03, 17:39
No, the real question is:
If you think you have a use for the Pi 2, why haven't you bought some other arm board yet?
The Pi 2 specs look a lot like a Cubieboard 2 or a Cubietruck. Granted, these are more expensive, but the Pi 2 is also quite late on the market.

The Pi has, however, some advantages over the Cubies and most other ARM boards:

MUCH better community support (I've got a Cubietruck, the hardware is much more complete/promising - but try to get a recent kernel for it...or drivers for the CedarX multimedia unit...)
Most parts of the hardware are well documented now (Broadcom has openened up quite a bit...)
Camera interface, infrared camera available (and RAW support)
Free Mathematica package (probably more useful now with the quadcore and 1Gb RAM)
Lots of extensions available

Especially because of it's community, it's still the most fun ARM board for meat the moment, despite its disadvantages:

no WiFi/Bluetooth on board
no SATA
no real-time-clock
no battery interface
GPU a bit dated

BTW, I love that sentence:

During its use as a heater, HEATBALLS have an unavoidable emission of light in the visible spectrum. This light is harmless and cannot be used as a reason for reclamation. :D

FlashInTheNight86
2015-02-06, 20:35
Was considering buying a Model A... dunno what for - fun, maybe? - but with 2's specs, no way I'm doing this. Still, the major problem is - what the hell to use it for? =\

HtheB
2015-02-06, 20:44
Was considering buying a Model A... dunno what for - fun, maybe? - but with 2's specs, no way I'm doing this. Still, the major problem is - what the hell to use it for? =\

XBMC?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
- No It's not!

pichlo
2015-02-06, 20:50
XBMC?

NAS?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
- No It's not!

Amen! Can that silly limit be removed? Pretty please?

mrsellout
2015-02-06, 20:55
NAS?

Amen! Can that silly limit be removed? Pretty please?
No :p

HtheB
2015-02-06, 21:20
. . .

taixzo
2015-02-06, 21:37
So, obvious question: When will we see a SailfishOS port to the Pi 2?

ejcrashed
2015-02-06, 21:38
I have one of the first batch of RPi Bs and boy, sure have i had fun with it.

RPi 2 seems like a good improvement, but i think i'll buy an Odroid C1 soon, less dated HW, realtime clock and integrated DAC make it more attractive lo me.

minimos
2015-02-07, 13:21
Model A or rather nowadays A+ is still better if you want to design something low power (e.g. running on batteries) as it doesn't have the ethernet chip (which wastes a lot of power even if the RPi is not connected to anywhere)

FlashInTheNight86
2015-04-20, 23:45
My Raspberry Pi 2 got delivered today. I am trying to make it work via RCA using Nokia CA-75U cable, without any success as of yet. HDMI works OK, I commented force HDMI in boot config. Did anyone else try using N900 TV cable for Raspberry Pi?

taixzo
2015-04-21, 04:14
So, obvious question: When will we see a SailfishOS port to the Pi 2?

I can now answer my own question (https://sailpi.wordpress.com/glacier/).

saponga
2015-06-15, 13:07
What a cute project... (https://learn.adafruit.com/mini-raspberry-pi-handheld-notebook-palmtop/overview) Maybe one could add a GPRS modem on it !!! :D

Copernicus
2015-06-15, 13:16
What a cute project... (https://learn.adafruit.com/mini-raspberry-pi-handheld-notebook-palmtop/overview)

Wow! I really need to keep up with this stuff; people are creating real hand-held computing devices again! :)

Maybe one could add a GPRS modem on it !!! :D

Gah! Absolutely not. The instant that cell hardware makes it into a design, that design begins to rot from within. Best to keep your serious computing devices separate from your cellular reception devices...