PDA

View Full Version : Claws Mail 3.0.0

colinleroy
2007-09-03, 15:20
Hi there,

Claws Mail 3.0.0 has been released this morning. You can upgrade it from the Application Manager, or install it by following instructions at http://www.claws-mail.org/maemo/ .

The changes are the following:

3rd September 2007 Claws Mail 3.0.0

CLAWS MAIL RELEASE NOTES
http://www.claws-mail.org

Claws Mail is a GTK+ based, user-friendly, lightweight, and fast
email client.

Notes for this release:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Claws Mail is now licensed under GPLv3 or later.

New in this release:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* added Tags feature
Tags are arbitrary labels that can be applied to messages. It is
possible to create, edit, remove Tags; apply them to mails;
filter on Tags or Tag presence; apply or unset Tags via Filtering
actions; reference Tags in reply Templates.

* Threads can now be sorted by most recent message
/View/Sort/By thread date

* Added "/View/Show or Hide/Column headers"

* Added 'watch thread' feature

* Enabled the running of folder Processing rules on demand

* Added options to stop/enable writing logs to disc, see Logging
page of preferences

* IMAP and News: Implement age-based caching: allow the specifying
of a threshold for the offline synchronisation feature, and whether
old cached bodies should be removed. Accessible from the Folder
Properties.

* IMAP: Made multiple copy, (in the same IMAP account), faster by
matching source/destination message UIDs.

* LDAP: Ability to edit all Person attributes

* Nicer layout of the message part icons

* Speed up and clean up rendering of larger msgs

* Use progress bar when sending messages

* Made mainwindow's /Help/Manual point to the remote copy if the
local copy doesn't exist

* Replaced some deprecated widgets

* Enabled changing the emphasis color used to highlight the
newsreader/x-mailer header value when it matches our preferred
mail agent, (hidden pref 'emphasis_color' added to clawsrc).

* tools/mew2claws-mail.pl
Added new script that imports a Mew address book

* tools/popfile-link.sh
Added a new script that will open selected messages in
POPFile control center, in order to change the message
status.

* Updated the manual

* Check that Dillo's installed when loading the Dillo Browser
plugin

* Maemo improvements:
o Automatically choose the correct application
to open parts
o Better way to notify of new mails
o Destroy messageview after trashing mail
o Simplified layout
o Better toolbars, removal of CTree headers
o Add a specific icon to go back to folder list
o Improvements to the Wizard, About and icon legend dialogues
o add an easy way to store data (mails and IMAP/NNTP caches)
on one of the SD cards, and protect against unmounts if
needed
o plug the online/offline system into maemo's interfaces to
have Claws automatically switch according to the system
status (on IT OS 2007)
o use HildonBanners to display status messages
o force layout to be Small screen
o put the progress bar in the toolbar

* Updated Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Catalan, Finnish, French,
German, Hungarian, Italian, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese and
Slovak translations.

* Bugfixes:
o bug 1224, 'The process of Replying to emails with large
attachments seems unreasonably long...'
o bug 1246, 'compose becomes increasingly slow replying to
complex emails'
o bug 1261, '[DE] coloring messages in overview keys are
not localised'
o bug 1267, 'printing mutliple messages opens one message-
dialog after the other'
o bug 1275, 'auto-saved draft messages not always being
removed'
o bug 1284, 'The html -> text converter ignores entities'
o bug 1286, 'Can't move a folder into a "Folders Only"
folder'
o bug 1287, 'Compile time problem on Solaris (nexenta
gnu/Solaris) utils.c'
o bug 1292, 'CM crashes on writing mail'
o bug 1290, 'Claws Mail crashes if too little memory when
rebuilding folder tree'
o bug 1293, 'LDAP address book not working'
o fix processing progressbar
o fix re-opening of all composing messages that were opened
when closing the previous instance
o fix toolbar prefs crash when no actions exist
o fix typos around long form expressions in the quote lexer.
o Quicksearch: Make search run on GDK_KP_Enter too
o fix missing timestamp update on MH source folder when
moving mails
o fix 'o' (Open) shortcut on MIME parts
o fix two vCard-related crashes
o fix threads use on BSDs
o copy all account preferences in account_clone() - some
were missing.
o fix 'List URLS'
o Fix format string vulnerability
o Fix all potential misuses of format-string functions
o Address Book: Contacts are now locale-aware sorted in the
address book
o use suitable defaults for outbox,
queue, drafts and trash folders
o fix loss of subfolders properties when renaming a folder
o fix Quicksearch's Sticky mode
o fix signature replacement when it's been wrapped
o fix cursor offset when quote contains UTF-8 chars
o fix coloring of pastes as quotation
o fix wizard crash when Mailbox dir already exists
o IMAP: fix timeout setting (requires libetpan 0.52)
o IMAP: better scanning (NOOP instead of CLOSE/SELECT)
o IMAP: fix unwanted creation of libetpan's stream dump file
o LDAP: fix possible crash on cache invalidation
o LDAP: fix port being reset to 636 on SSL
o LDAP: fix wrong "Connected successfully to server".
o Maemo: layout fixes
o Maemo: fix auto-completion
o Maemo: fix sticking statusbars
o Maemo: fix the strange "top_application" info at startup.
o Maemo: fix crash on first launch
o Maemo: don't opened selected folder when clicking on white
space
o Maemo: make Esc close messageviews
o Maemo: fix message scrolling to the end on opening
o Maemo: fix reopening same message
o Maemo: fix opening of mails from keypad in Sent folders
o Maemo: fix adjustments changes
o Refresh window when processing
o Windows: never pass NULL pointers for %s substitutions

For further details of the numbered bugs listed above consult
http://www.thewildbeast.co.uk/claws-mail/bugzilla/index.cgi

markku
2007-09-03, 19:34
The best email application on N800 and it's getting even better! I have used it since it was ported to N800, I hope that Claws is available after next firmware update (Chinook) because it's so good that I'm using it every day on my email at work.

sondjata
2007-09-03, 19:56
Is that toolbar at the bottom new? If it is, nice touch. If it isn't, nice touch.

scocrys
2007-09-03, 20:00
I just upgraded on os2006 and I get 'GTK_IS_LABEL (label) failed
Illegal instruction.

imrahil
2007-09-03, 21:18
Is that toolbar at the bottom new? If it is, nice touch. If it isn't, nice touch.

Hmm... Is it possible to move them to top of the screen?

atmandk
2007-09-04, 02:59
add an easy way to store data (mails and IMAP/NNTP caches)
on one of the SD cards, and protect against unmounts if
needed

Can you tell me how to do this? I would love to store my 15+mb of emails on the mmc, and make it the default storage directory, but I can't figure out how to. Thanks.

iball
2007-09-04, 03:25
I like this newer version a lot. Needs some more plug-ins ported over though.
Right now it's my main email client and RSS news reader.

delaroca
2007-09-04, 03:55
How can one relocate the main window toolbar back to the top of the screen -- where it used to be?

--Denis

P.S. And also disable the flashing status mesages when doing mail handling... they can't be read anyway and slow down the process by increasing GUI interface overhead.

atmandk
2007-09-04, 05:53
I figured out my question - just edit ~/.claws-mail/folderlist.xml

Khertan
2007-09-04, 07:54
So if i understand, now imap mail can be offline ... Great ...

I'll try it.

fredoll
2007-09-04, 10:16
A vast improvement !
It was very good it is now great !
Thanks a lot
Fred

PS : the only missing feature now : plug in to the system to get mail notification without on the left bar ...

TA-t3
2007-09-04, 10:47
It looks good. The feature I'm constantly missing though is 'Mark as read' - it would be a nice addition to 'Move' and 'Delete'.

EDIT: Actually it appears to set it as 'read' by clicking on that little envelope - is that right? I always try to open the message by clicking it but ends up double-clicking the title instead. In any case I still would like to see the 'mark as read' option along with the 'move' and 'delete' options in the menu.. they're related. In fact what I wish for is a more gmail-like approach.. where you can tick selected messages and apply an operation on them (e.g. mark-as-read, delete etc.). I'm getting so used to the gmail interface by now.. ;)

colinleroy
2007-09-04, 13:46
It looks good. The feature I'm constantly missing though is 'Mark as read' - it would be a nice addition to 'Move' and 'Delete'.

EDIT: Actually it appears to set it as 'read' by clicking on that little envelope - is that right? I always try to open the message by clicking it but ends up double-clicking the title instead. In any case I still would like to see the 'mark as read' option along with the 'move' and 'delete' options in the menu.. they're related.

It's in the "Mark" submenu :)

ysss
2007-09-04, 14:17
Very nice update.

Are the other layouts gone now? I like splitting the screen in two showing folder view and message view but I can't find any layout settings anymore.

maxilogan
2007-09-04, 14:44

Is there any way to select multiple messages, either to move them to trash or mark as read or whatever?

henningspruth
2007-09-04, 17:03
I just upgraded on os2006 and I get 'GTK_IS_LABEL (label)
failed
Illegal instruction.

Can somebody confirm if this happens with all N770's running OS2006?

I'd hate to break my installation.

jmk
2007-09-04, 17:28
Great work. Claws 3.0 is much much better than old one.

But i am still eagerly waiting for Modest. Default IT OS 2007 mail application is totally unusable.

iball
2007-09-04, 20:41
Is there any way to select multiple messages, either to move them to trash or mark as read or whatever?

I know, same question here. I've tried different ways but it seems there isn't an easy-to-see solution.

Mail filtering works great though.

alijames
2007-09-04, 21:05
Can somebody confirm if this happens with all N770's running OS2006?

I'd hate to break my installation.

I updated to it on mine today running OS2006, and all is perfect. The upgrade via application manager just worked, and now mail on the 770 is even better than on my Zaurus 3100.

Has anyone yet built a copy of the Windows version with IMAP support, as the port on http://www.gpg4win.org/ does not have it built in? If so, I might replace Thunderbird on all my machines...

Cheers,

Alistair

Saturn
2007-09-04, 22:23
I know, same question here. I've tried different ways but it seems there isn't an easy-to-see solution.

MMail filtering works great though.

Did you try the small button in the right top corner?
Works like holding the <ctrl>.

henningspruth
2007-09-04, 22:29
I updated to it on mine today running OS2006, and all is perfect. The upgrade via application manager just worked, and now mail on the 770 is even better than on my Zaurus 3100.

Has anyone yet built a copy of the Windows version with IMAP support, as the port on http://www.gpg4win.org/ does not have it built in? If so, I might replace Thunderbird on all my machines...

Cheers,

Alistair

OK, I tried it and it works fine on OS2006. Thanks!

atmandk
2007-09-05, 00:05
Did you try the small button in the right top corner?
Works like holding the <ctrl>.

Sweet! I always wondered what that was! Thanks.:D

thomasdawes
2007-09-05, 00:38
I've just installed it...
When it syncs, it seems to want to sync ALL the e-mail I have. Is there a way to tell it I only want the most recent 100 e-mails? I have old mail I just keep on the yahoo servers for the heck of it and don't need everything.

Thanks

colinleroy
2007-09-05, 07:41

Not yet. It may finally come, though, I've seen that the gpg4win guys submitted a big patch to libetpan (our IMAP library) to ease building on Windows, so I suppose it's in their todo list :) Once done, the most annoying missing thing on Windows will be SSL.

colinleroy
2007-09-05, 07:43
I've just installed it...
When it syncs, it seems to want to sync ALL the e-mail I have. Is there a way to tell it I only want the most recent 100 e-mails? I have old mail I just keep on the yahoo servers for the heck of it and don't need everything.

Thanks

In the folder properties, where you have [x] Synchronise for offline use, you can specify the maximum age of mails for which you want Claws to fetch bodies.

If you're speaking about headers, Claws fetches them all, they're needed to build the message list. But it'll only have to do that once.

colinleroy
2007-09-05, 07:45
I just upgraded on os2006 and I get 'GTK_IS_LABEL (label) failed
Illegal instruction.

Hmm, strange. Can you run claws-mail from the terminal with gdb ? Install gdb, then open xterm, type

gdb claws-mail
(gdb) run
and when it crashes:
(gdb) bt full

maxilogan
2007-09-05, 08:04
Sweet! I always wondered what that was! Thanks.:D

Same for me! Thanks a lot for the tip :)

TA-t3
2007-09-05, 09:54
Thanks Colin! It seems I'm blind to third-level submenues.. been working on PalmOS too long I guess! Seriously, I'm not sure why I have problems with the claws-mail interface, I'm constantly bewildered as to what to click and where to find it. I'm working on it though.

One more feature request (unless I've missed an existing one _again_): When writing or replying to an email osso-email has a way of collapsing the header part of the mail to get more real estate for the writing (as the kbd takes so much room) - could this be done in claws-mail too?

EDIT: A second one.. is there a way to get it to synch _only_ the inbox (sub)folder? I would like to reduce the data traffic as much as possible (because I often synch over GPRS), and I never read those other folders on the N800.. I filter out tons of stuff to move away to other folders on the server, so that only the inbox holds messages I would want to read on a mobile device.

colinleroy
2007-09-12, 09:33
One more feature request (unless I've missed an existing one _again_): When writing or replying to an email osso-email has a way of collapsing the header part of the mail to get more real estate for the writing (as the kbd takes so much room) - could this be done in claws-mail too?

Normally, when the body text gets the focus, it moves to the top of the window and the headers under, so that it's the part without focus that's hidden under the keyboard. Does that not work for you?

EDIT: A second one.. is there a way to get it to synch _only_ the inbox (sub)folder? I would like to reduce the data traffic as much as possible (because I often synch over GPRS), and I never read those other folders on the N800.. I filter out tons of stuff to move away to other folders on the server, so that only the inbox holds messages I would want to read on a mobile device.

You can enable/disable syncing of bodies in each folder (optionnaly including subfolders with the checkbox at the right) in their Properties; also, you can enable/disable "Scanning for new mail" in folders; that makes Claws never look at these folders unless you open them.

TA-t3
2007-09-12, 10:47
Thanks Colin,
The writing area behaves as you explain, the problem I had was in an earlier version (where I would get one or two lines of text visible).

For the second problem it seems to me that the way our imap server is set up (with subfolders) isn't ideal for claws-mail - if I understood correctly I can only turn off scanning for new mail for all or none (the way it's structured here is an INBOX where new mail arrives, and all other folders are subfolders of this one. I would like the scanning, but only for INBOX.. not its subfolders). I would have set up the imap server differently if it was up to me, I'll check if it's possible and if so talk to the sysadmin.

colinleroy
2007-09-12, 10:50
For the second problem it seems to me that the way our imap server is set up (with subfolders) isn't ideal for claws-mail - if I understood correctly I can only turn off scanning for new mail for all or none (the way it's structured here is an INBOX where new mail arrives, and all other folders are subfolders of this one. I would like the scanning, but only for INBOX.. not its subfolders). I would have set up the imap server differently if it was up to me, I'll check if it's possible and if so talk to the sysadmin.

Well, you can also disable scanning for INBOX and all its subfolders from INBOX's properties, then re-enable scanning for INBOX (but not its subfolders) :)

TA-t3
2007-09-12, 11:57
Well, you can also disable scanning for INBOX and all its subfolders from INBOX's properties, then re-enable scanning for INBOX (but not its subfolders) :)
Thanks, that worked! (although not entirely intuitive..;))

hobbes
2007-09-13, 00:12
I just installed the latest version on an N800 and configured it to use IMAP & SMTP via SSL (with the proper ports). Although I was able to send a message, when I try checking for email nothing happens. Even when I restart the application and immediately click to check mail on all accounts, nothing happens; I'm not even prompted for the password (which I left blank in the account settings).

Any pointers on what must user error appreciated.

TA-t3
2007-09-13, 10:11
Although I have no proper answer, I had similar problems at some occations, lastly when I upgraded to 3.0. I solved it by carefully comparing the (working) setup of osso-email with my claws-mail configuration, put in the same numbers (ports, authentication etc.), finally hit that 'rebuild-tree' or whatever c-m sometimes suggest, and voila - it worked again.

hobbes
2007-09-13, 13:46
Although I have no proper answer, I had similar problems at some occations, lastly when I upgraded to 3.0. I solved it by carefully comparing the (working) setup of osso-email with my claws-mail configuration, put in the same numbers (ports, authentication etc.), finally hit that 'rebuild-tree' or whatever c-m sometimes suggest, and voila - it worked again.

I have not used osso mail.

I looked for rebuild tree but could not find it. Any idea what/where it is?

Thx.

frasej
2007-09-13, 16:28
I've got a pop mail set up, but mail sent in html format seems to be rendering as text only. I've got the html plugin loaded. Is there something I'm missing?

sondjata
2007-09-13, 18:44
I've a problem here. I can get my mail from AOL fine. However I cannot sent mail. I get the following error:

Could not queue message for sending.

I can't even save the message.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the app.
I've removed the account. Restarted Claws and recreated the account. Still the same error.

Plenty of memory available. I tried searching the bug tracker but got 0 results matching that error.

HALP

sondjata
2007-09-13, 18:45
Oh yeah. I also have the same problem with HTML mail.

aulucni
2007-09-13, 18:58
Hi. I am trying to configure Claws mail so that it works with my Gmail account. After the configuration, I tried to send a message and got the following error:
"Required APOP timestamp not found in greeting".
Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

kitzj0
2007-09-13, 19:19
I think to view the HTML email, you need to touch the icon to the right of the text message. It takes a few seconds to load the email in HTML format.

frasej
2007-09-13, 19:22
I think to view the HTML email, you need to touch the icon to the right of the text message. It takes a few seconds to load the email in HTML format.

Right you are! I love it! :)
Anyway to make that the default view?

pdeboest
2007-09-26, 00:24
Is the LDAP functionality stripped out of the Maemo port? The documentation tells how to set it up, but the menu item to add an LDAP server seems to be missing. Or am I looking in the wrong place? Anybody used an LDAP server from the Maemo port?

sarahn
2007-09-29, 18:38
If you go to configuration/preferences for current account/receive and change the state of "Show Subscribed folders only" it will attempt to connect to the server. I think that once the IMAP folders show up it should look at them.

jrock2004
2007-10-18, 21:20
How is the mail notification work with the Nokai 770? Is it any good or is lame like osso-email?

claws
2007-10-21, 08:39
I've a problem here. I can get my mail from AOL fine. However I cannot sent mail. I get the following error:

Could not queue message for sending.

I can't even save the message.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the app.
I've removed the account. Restarted Claws and recreated the account. Still the same error.

Plenty of memory available. I tried searching the bug tracker but got 0 results matching that error.

HALP

I would guess that you haven't configured the correct Authentication and/or the correct ports. Got to the account preferences and see the Send page for Authentication settings and the Advanced page for the port settings.

claws
2007-10-21, 08:42
I just installed the latest version on an N800 and configured it to use IMAP & SMTP via SSL (with the proper ports). Although I was able to send a message, when I try checking for email nothing happens. Even when I restart the application and immediately click to check mail on all accounts, nothing happens; I'm not even prompted for the password (which I left blank in the account settings).

Any pointers on what must user error appreciated.

See '/Tools/Network Log', you will probably find your error here. (Probably incorrect settings)

claws
2007-10-21, 08:44
I have not used osso mail.

I looked for rebuild tree but could not find it. Any idea what/where it is?

Thx.

Hold the stylus on the top-level mailbox so that the context menu is shown, you will then find this entry in the menu.

claws
2007-10-21, 08:46
Hi. I am trying to configure Claws mail so that it works with my Gmail account. After the configuration, I tried to send a message and got the following error:
"Required APOP timestamp not found in greeting".
Any idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

I don't have a gmail account, but many Claws users do. Check your settings. See the Claws Mail FAQ, http://www.claws-mail.org/faq/index.php/Installation_and_Configuration#Does_Claws_Mail_wor k_with_Gmail_accounts.3F

claws
2007-10-21, 09:03
I've got a pop mail set up, but mail sent in html format seems to be rendering as text only. I've got the html plugin loaded. Is there something I'm missing?

You can use the option on the /Preferences/Message View/Text Options page, 'Render HTML-only messages using plugin if possible', but, as the text suggests, this only works for HTML-only messages, not messages that have plain and html parts.

claws
2007-10-21, 09:04
Is the LDAP functionality stripped out of the Maemo port? The documentation tells how to set it up, but the menu item to add an LDAP server seems to be missing. Or am I looking in the wrong place? Anybody used an LDAP server from the Maemo port?

No, libldap is not available on maemo, so Claws does not support LDAP on maemo.

claws
2007-10-21, 09:06
How is the mail notification work with the Nokai 770? Is it any good or is lame like osso-email?

I don't know how lame the osso-email notification is, as I've not used it. See the Preferences/Mail Handling/Receiving page for Claws notification options.

luca
2007-10-22, 17:45
I have many imap folders and that makes checking for new mail very slow. It seems that claws issues a status for every folder (this should be pretty fast) and if there are new messages it immediately selects the folder to get the headers. Would it be possible to just do a quick status to update the message count, and to delay the fetching of the headers only when the folder is actually selected by the user?

claws
2007-10-24, 11:56
luca, bring up the folder's context menu, select Properties. On the 'General' page you will find the option 'scan for new mail' - you want to turn this off for folders that you don't want included.

Here's a hint, if you want to turn this off for most of your folders, then select it from the properties of the root folder and use the 'apply to subfolders' checkbox. Then turn it on again for those individual folders that you actually want to be scanned

luca
2007-10-24, 12:26
but will it still do a STATUS and inform me of new mail? (btw, what I proposed is what thunderbird does, I want to know if I have new mail, only I don't want the select and header fetching until I manually enter the folder).

colinleroy
2007-11-06, 10:28
No, it won't.