PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Gibbon Preview

Aisu
2007-09-07, 00:36
Yo!

Just another little write-up I did. Current Ubuntu users might enjoy it, but everyone using Windows and Mac should definitely take a look. (It might just make you crave a little Linux-y goodness, too.) A few highlights on what I think will make this iteration awesome and quite a few screenshots of the Gutsy Gibbon.

http://geekpenguin.blogspot.com/2007/09/gutsy-gibbon-preview.html

HeebieJeebie
2007-09-07, 01:15
"No more mangling with the Beryl project". Amen, brother. It'll be nice to finally see a distro ship with the latest Compiz Fusion on by default instead of having to monkey around with third party repos and holding my breath. As to Beagle, is it pretty stable now? I haven't followed it's progress much, mainly due to the fact that it left a bad taste in my mouth when Fedora was mucking about with Beagle and Mono early on and it really did a number on my system a couple of times (the price you pay for obeying the curiosity that killed the feline, I suppose). So I left it alone, but always looked forward to it's maturity as I've grown accustomed to using Spotlight on the Mac desktop. I may just have to give Ubuntu a spin when this next point release hits the streets.

iball
2007-09-07, 01:34
Damn, and I just finished setting up 7.0.4 feisty with Scratchbox in VMware FUsion on my Macbook Pro.
It sounds more complicated than it really is.
Hmm...once gibbon goes gold I'll upgrade.
I would have to say that as a desktop OS Linux distribution that Ubuntu comes in second to OS X for me.
All my old X86 machines back east are running it just fine.
An Ubuntu box is running Asterisk for my dad's company as well.

Aisu
2007-09-07, 01:40
Yes, Beryl was a pain... But Beagle was amazing. I still have it running on my computers at home. It integrates so well with Ubuntu that it has become a vital tool for me and my horrible filing habits ^^ I really suggest you atleast run the live CD for a bit. I betcha you'll love it enough to (at the least) dual boot it :)

Iball, that is probably one of the coolest setups I've heard. Ubuntu on a Macbook Pro. I do happen to love Apple hardware, but, eh, the software has never been too well supported, or that encouraging for third-parties to develop for. I've tried to convince my family to let me put Ubuntu of their Macs, but, alas, to no avail ;)

cclein
2007-09-07, 01:44
I'm really impressed with Ubuntu as well. I'm curious did you notice the ability to install the Gibbon to an ISCSI target?

HeebieJeebie
2007-09-07, 01:47
I'm not really interested in dual booting (I've got a Win partition already eating precious disk space on my Macbook that I have to keep around for work :mad:) or running 'buntu in a VM, but I am interested in running it full on and was toying with getting myself a Dellbuntu (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) notebook. Would you happen to know anyone who's purchased one of these and if they are reliable and well supported?

iball
2007-09-07, 01:54
Actually, my Ubuntu is running as a virtual machine using VMware Fusion from an external Firewire-800 drive and it's just as fast as booting straight from it (gotta love dual core Macs!).
If I could get bloody Scratchbox running natively on the Macbook Pro then it sure would make life easier for me.
That's the great thing about the new Macs...you can easily run just about any other OS off it via virtualization all the while keeping well inside OS X with all of it's current "network safeguards" (no viruses, spyware, etc.).
Network problems at work? Load up Backtrack2.
Need access to IE7-only websites? Load up XP Pro.
Need Scratchbox environment to compile programs for the N800/N770? Load up Ubuntu.

Aisu
2007-09-07, 01:54
@cclein: Ubuntu does everything ;) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213545&highlight=iscsi

Hm, a Dellbuntu... I personally wouldn't buy one, because there's no fun in it. I don't want everything to work out of the box, I want to have to hack and slave through internet postings and thousands of lines of code to get one little piece of hardware working. That's why I used Linux before Ubuntu, I still love the old Slackware for a good challenge.

I don't know anyone who has purchased them. But, Canonical has the greatest support ever if you'd like to purchase it for a nominal fee. (just don't buy Dell's support, first, I wouldn't for a while anyway, until they really train a few people with *nix)

HeebieJeebie
2007-09-07, 02:11
Booting off FW disk is a great suggestion iball. Hadn't thought of it. Thanks!

Yeah, I have to admit that one of the main attractions for me is that I'm getting kind of lazy in my old age and I like the idea of all the hardware being supported out of the box. There was a time when I loved the challenge of troubleshooting and trying to get NICs and such working, but I just don't have the patience for it most of the time anymore. And one of the bugaboos that has prevented me from installing Linux on a notebook has been the nagging little unsupported hardware issues. But I do still have a bit of an adventurous side and would probably skip buying Canonical's support. What fun would it be having a tech rep answering every little softball question for me? ;) I do occasionally still enjoy the off-the-beaten-path atmosphere of discovering and sharing solutions in community forums. You often get answers to things you weren't even looking for there. Well, just something I was considering. I'm done rambling now. :p

Aisu
2007-09-07, 02:27
Damned right! *high fives* Adventure into the realm of computer's and the weird people in the forum's that are behind them ;)