PDA

View Full Version : Maru OS

Bundyo
2016-02-05, 12:49
Which I didn't yet run to check, but possibly is a Debian chroot over HDMI display on Android:

http://maruos.com/

javispedro
2016-02-05, 15:51
Hmpf. So.. now that I've abandoned the idea myself, everyone is starting to jump on the "mobile computing" bandwagon.

Curse you, world!

gerbick
2016-02-05, 16:56
This... makes me damn mad I donated my Nexus 5. Interesting project indeed...

endsormeans
2016-02-05, 17:21
Abso-smurf-ly brilliant.
Now that ain't a bad idea at all...
Pretty darn good one in fact...
Gonna have to looky loo some more into maru..

paolo_3_1415926
2016-02-05, 18:00
This is super cool. I will need to understand a bit better what is the state of the beta (is it really usable?), but as soon as this reaches some sort of stabiity and can be used as a daily driver, I am in.

javispedro
2016-02-05, 18:15
Note that this is basically just yet another Debian chroot, and a currently closed source one for what is worth..

Quite happy to see interest pouring back into this, but really unhappy about a single company capitalizing on it...

endsormeans
2016-02-05, 18:24
Ah...closed is it?
there is the rub.

If they did it..
I'm sure others will and make sure it is (available on more than just the nexus 5 and...) open on top of that.

paolo_3_1415926
2016-02-05, 18:28
Note that this is basically just yet another Debian chroot, and a currently closed source one for what is worth..

Quite happy to see interest pouring back into this, but really unhappy about a single company capitalizing on it...

Fair enough. Closedness is indeed a problem (how do you know it is not going to be open source? could not see anything in the minimal site they put up), and another concern is the decision of building on top of lollipop.

On the other hand, I am extremely excited about a easy to setup, supported mobile environment that doubles to a linux os. It is depressing to know that most people sit on enough computing power to satisfy all of their needs and use it just for playing candy crush...

mscion
2016-02-05, 19:09
Hi. I don't understand what is really new about this except for the packaging. For years I have been able to run Linux on Android on my phone and connect to monitor/tv via hdmi port. I had both android and Fedora or Ubuntu functionality at the same time. Although I should point out that I never got sound working on the Fedora or Ubuntu side. So, if sound works on this product, that would be nice! Am I missing something? Thanks!

Bundyo
2016-02-05, 21:44
This... makes me damn mad I donated my Nexus 5. Interesting project indeed...

I sold mine a week ago :)

beobachter
2016-02-06, 12:27
What a true innovation looks like with limited resources and imagination !!!

rcolistete
2016-02-06, 20:26
How MaruOS Turns Your Android Phone Into A Linux Desktop Computer
BY ADARSH VERMA ON FEBRUARY 6, 2016 (http://fossbytes.com/maruos-turns-your-android-phone-into-a-linux-desktop-computer/)

xanderx
2016-02-06, 23:09
How MaruOS Turns Your Android Phone Into A Linux Desktop Computer
BY ADARSH VERMA ON FEBRUARY 6, 2016 (http://fossbytes.com/maruos-turns-your-android-phone-into-a-linux-desktop-computer/)

I just imagined an ordinary layman scratching his head, asking "what is a linux desktop computer?"

beobachter
2016-02-19, 07:20
With Maru OS being recently opensourced, that would be just an amazing addition do SfOS ... anyone disagree? Combining Sailfish, sfdroid layer and Maru OS capabilities we'd have the ultimate tool in our pocket.

wicket
2016-02-19, 16:49
With Maru OS being recently opensourced, that would be just an amazing addition do SfOS ... anyone disagree? Combining Sailfish, sfdroid layer and Maru OS capabilities we'd have the ultimate tool in our pocket.

I disagree. It seems like overkill to run a chroot under sfdroid when you can run a chroot directly under Sailfish. We've all been doing this for years with EasyDebian on N900s and N9s. The only difference is the need for XWayland on Sailfish which javispedro already ported. I still fail to see what's so innovative about Maru OS other than a pretty website plus emphasis on HDMI-out. As far as I've been able to tell, it's all Debian under the bonnet so even the name Maru OS is a joke.

beobachter
2016-02-20, 08:44
I am not suggesting to run a chroot under sfdroid. I am saying having this opensourced with tremendous interest and possibly soon resources available, SfOS w all the above would be the mobile OS we have been wishing for since the Maemo 3. Sure EasyDebian on N900 was great, but kinda failed to translate to a broader success. I believe having SfOS able to be installed and hopefully seriously supported on a wide variety of until recently 4ndroidy hw opens for all of us the most amazing oportunities, which at times of N900 being the only HW we could only dream of.

The first note on true innovation was about how a single person identifies a need and takes on addressing it, not hesitating in open sourcing it, which is exactly what we need to move forward.

With all the hardware around it's finally time for Jolla to let go of the own hw and focus solely on the OS development and integration/support with the hw producers. The HW is out there, the serious interest as well ... should the new enlightened Nokia allow SfOS at least in the way Sony is trying, we'd have the most amazing slam dunk in mobile os space.

MikeHG
2016-05-03, 16:21
There's an interview with the author in Linux Luddites #76 at about the 1:22 mark. Not sure how much useful extra information there is there, but might be worth a listen if you're keeping an eye on the project.

https://linuxluddites.com/

BluesLee
2016-05-28, 21:57

+1

MaruOS is surprisingly fast. The idea to 'beam' and 'hold' the desktop using hdmi out on the fly while you just see your underlying mobile operating system is not bad and somehow different from what i have seen before.

MikeHG
2016-06-09, 12:27
Now available for public download, for the curious....

https://blog.maruos.com/2016/06/08/maru-v0-2-3-is-now-public/