PDA

View Full Version : 770 Screen quality?

Kuju
2006-01-05, 13:12
Hi,

I finally got my 770 yesteday. Only one month waiting time... :confused:

I have a little bit mixed feelings about the device. Generally it works just fine, WLAN connections (at least in unsecured networks) are working well, browser is rather good and fast enought, full screen feature is quite impressive, most of web sites fit into the screen as they are.

The real annoyance is the screen, it has this "rainbow" effect as discussed on this forum previously. The bigged and truly irritating feature is that the right side of the display is dark. When browsing web pages with white ot light backgroud this is clearly visible. Have anyone else noticed this kind of flaw?

I've now leaved the device to local service center. They didn't know what to do with it and sent it to main domestic service center. Now I have to wait again a couple of weeks. Let's see what happens... my hopes are not high...

Kuju

meshsmooth
2006-01-05, 13:54
a certen amount of dimming from one side is the nature of the screen. stuff needs to be made and compromises are made in that process. the rainbow cristle like effect, mostly visible on white screens is also the nature of the screen and probably thanks to the touch screen membrane. People complain about the limitations of the device. I accept it. I didn't pay stupid amounts of money for it. It works as it is advertised to and there is so much potential in its open source designe.

I guess i look on it like i look apon my Toyota echo (AKA Yaris) not the best car in the world but in its class the best, and smartest thing i could have done with the money to solve the problem at hand.
so i guess i like my car and my nokia 770. I is Geek.

Invader J
2006-01-05, 14:03
Actually I started a thread mentioning the dark right side of the LCD... now that I've gotten used to it, it doesn't bug me as much. The 'rainbow' effect I think is just a side effect of the touch-sensitive layer on top of the LCD; after using a Samsung A800 phone for about a year, that doesn't bug me in the least. That phone has this super-thick clear plastic covering the LCD giving it a "rainbow oil spill" effect!

Hedgecore
2006-01-05, 14:44
I remember that thread ;) I bet there's a component they had to fit under there which affects the lighting somewhat. Can anyone xray the 770 like they did with the PSP revealing that one button that was off center?

Mike Cane
2006-01-05, 15:11
I don't have the rainbow effect at all. But I do notice that when the 770 is charging, if I look at it from a certain angle while its lying down, I see this strange prismatic "blob" in the center of the white screen. That's the only time I see it.

Mine has stagelighting on the right side too. It doesn't affect my ability to see anything on that side of the screen, however. This sort of thing is old hat from Palm days. I'm sure some lucky people out there have no stagelighting at all.

Knowing Nokia, the 3rd iteration will most likely have OLED.

astroglide
2006-01-05, 16:44
i noticed the darkness on the right edge immediately when i turned on the unit, but as a matter of usability i didn't really notice or care once actual applications were open. the rainbow thing with web sites that have a lot of WHITEspace is a bit unnerving late at night though.

bhima
2006-01-05, 17:10
I believe that there are two different issues here:

"Newton's Rings" is caused by two pieces of plastic that are close together, with a very small gap. This optical effect is caused by interference of the light as it reflects through different paths. Google can give you a great explanation of it.

The other issues is the quality of the white. I think the 770's white is not very good. It almost looks like each pixel is a _slightly_ different color or something. I suspect it's an artifact of the very high resolution of the display - when the new PowerBooks with high res displays shipped, there were many complaints about various kinds of visual artifacts.

When displaying non-white, I'm quite pleased with the display quality. I think the display is beautiful. However, when there's a lot of white on screen, it just doesn't look that good. I'm willing to accept that, given how wonderful the display is otherwise.

One other interesting thing I've noticed is that the display has a strong metallic shimmer when it's in strong, direct sunlight. This shimmer is usually the complement, I believe, of the color being displayed. I've seen the display look like parts of it were shimmering, brushed copper in some lighting conditions.

dreaming
2006-01-07, 02:11
Maybe we need iTt to change background to minimize all this, since we all spend so much time here :)

Supergeek
2006-01-13, 15:53
I am really noticing the rainbow/sparkly/grainy screen attributes as well.

I had a Zaurus 6000L with a vga CG Silicon screen, and it was absolutely gorgeous, and it included a touch screen as well. The 770 screen is OK, but if someone offered me an upgrade to the Zaurus 6000L screen for $50, I'd take it. It's absolutely stunning, seriously.

However, the Zaurus is just too damned big to carry around, and I intend my 770 to be mostly for ebooks, white on black, so I will minimize the "oily effect" or whatever you want to call it.

Hedgecore
2006-01-13, 19:40
I get the sparkly effect. I wonder if the screen doesn't have a thin coating of some kinda phosphorescent material to be so bright. The sparkling could be outside light sources interacting with it.

On pure white screens if you look close, some pixels appear to be tinged slightly red or yellow or blue. This could just be said rainbow effect.

I wonder if Palms got grilled this hard :P I think the 770's great, it's got problems and I'm making no excuses, but since being on a C64 when I was 3, I don't expect several million transistors sitting in my hand to work right 100% of the time.

gristle
2006-01-13, 21:50
I got a Lifedrive soon after they were released. The uneven lighting on the bottom of the screen where the backlight is was so bad I returned it as faulty and got a full refund. Pleased I returned it or else no 770 for me. The light ripple on the 770 is small compared to the Lifedrive. I wonder if it is consistent across other peoples 770s?