View Full Version : A website for Internet Tablet newbies

krisse
2007-09-12, 08:48
There's a relative of mine who isn't really that great with computers, he would call me up regularly for help with this or that. Over the years I suggested all kinds of things, for example switching from Windows PCs to Macintoshes, but nothing seemed to work. Desktop computers in general seemed to be the problem, they were a bit too complicated for his needs (basically he just used the web, email and skype).

On a hunch, I suggested that he should get an N800 with a Bluetooth keyboard. I set it up for him, and he took it home. Astonishingly, it worked. The "tech support" calls (mostly) stopped coming, this was a device he could cope with. He even started listening to internet radio, something he never did on desktop machines even when I showed him how.

This really opened my eyes. Before this I'd seen Nokia's internet tablets as mainly for hardcore technology fans, but here was a case of a technophobe finding it easier to use an internet tablet than a mainstream PC.

Anyhow, because of this I decided to set up a site with easy-to-understand tutorials on how to use internet tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/contents-page.html

The videos are meant to accompany the text, the text goes into more detail about each topic but the video hopefully helps to make things clearer.

If anyone has any suggestions for particular topics I should cover on this site, please let me know by replying to this thread or by sending me a Private Message on this forum.

I'd also appreciate any corrections of mistakes in the tutorials, these can be hard to spot when you're writing them yourself.

benny1967
2007-09-12, 09:31
Great idea!

I have to admit I'm still reluctant about advising non-GNU/Linux-geeks to buy a N800. BUT: That's because of the way I use it. I do things that need xterm and root access, I use applications that are marked as "highly experimental" by the developers, and I like to push my tablet to its limits.

Thinking of it again, a friend of mine uses his N800 without any trouble. He does call me every now and then because he has problems on his desktop PC or laptop (WinXP both). All of these problems are caused by the "too many factors involved" phenomenon (firewall, some exotic device driver, orphaned registry entries...). None of these are involved on his N800. He uses the device "as is", with only one additional application installed.

So maybe its execatly what some of us see as restrictions what makes the device so easy to handle for beginners.

SD69
2007-09-12, 10:12
Very nice. Thank you for doing this, and for writing instructions that are simple, step-by-step and aimed at beginners.

You asked for suggestions - I would suggest a tutorial for intermediate users about how to install apps, how repositories work, etc. Many users are accustomed to just opening an .exe file on a Windows PC.

MichaelBav
2007-09-12, 13:36
Great idea for an on line tutorial. I got my N800 last week and am still learning. Not sure whether this is the right form for questions, but you seem to be a N800 evangelist, a couple of quick questions, I am unable to make a direct link to my gmail account - any clues? Is it possible to pre-set a zoom option on the web browser instead of resetting it every time - how do I enable Java applications and what is the browser version. Thank you in anticipation of your help.

TA-t3
2007-09-12, 13:49
Browser version: Start a new browser window, enter about:about as URL. (This works for the standard Opera browser at least). Mine shows 8.5 build 2.0.43
Java: No java for the N800 (yet), unfortunately.

screener
2007-09-12, 14:56
that is wonderful so now we can all learn our way around doing stuff that needs some one to help you with like boot from MMC, phonelink and more . . .

Thanks Man

KingofJames
2007-09-12, 15:47
This is an outstanding idea. I'm a newbie to the N 800, but not so new to computing. Just purchased 3 weeks ago. I think that the first thing any newbie does is try to get all of the cool apps to see what the gadget can do. At least that is my approach. Then move on to learning to develop. I would like to learn how to install: xgalaxian, red pill mode, kagu, canola, and dvd conversion. This is just for starters. I'm going to bookmark your site right now!

sidofren
2007-09-12, 16:50
Check out the wiki up there it should help you find different topics you can explore.

Would you know how to switch back to Opera, currently using Firefox? Thx

SD69
2007-09-12, 18:05
Check out the wiki up there it should help you find different topics you can explore.

Unfortunately, this site's wiki is a bit out of date/unorganized. Most of it was written for earlier firmware on the 770, and isn't applicable to the current firmware on the 800. The wiki doesn't sort it out, so sometimes a topic addresses an earlier issue that has been resolved, and this is not apparent.

Karel Jansens
2007-09-12, 18:12
Maybe you could put up a list of topics that need to be covered, so that people who'd like to help can choose one (or more), do a writeup and present it to you for approval.

I for one would like to offer my (however limited) services, but it's hard to think up topics that might be of interest for new users.

Texrat
2007-09-12, 19:07
I think a "tablets for dummies" site is looong overdue. Nice work!

nosam
2007-09-12, 19:20
Very nice. Thank you for doing this, and for writing instructions that are simple, step-by-step and aimed at beginners.

You asked for suggestions - I would suggest a tutorial for intermediate users about how to install apps, how repositories work, etc. Many users are accustomed to just opening an .exe file on a Windows PC.

I just added this (how to install apps, how repositories work, etc.) in the wiki of www.internettablettalk.com. I agree it was badly needed somewhere. Its for 770 but could me for both. check it out.

krisse
2007-09-13, 08:36
I wasn't expecting so many enthusiastic replies! Thank you for the support, this makes it much easier to put the work in on the site. :)

By the way, I've just added a new tutorial which is all about using a Bluetooth keyboard with the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-installing-and-using.html

On the subject of collaborations, I wanted to stick to the video/text format and keep the same look-and-feel throughout for the sake of clarity, so that once people understand one tutorial from my site, they can easily understand another.

However, if other people want to write tutorials or do videos (or both) I'm totally open to linking to those from the Tablet School site, as long as the tutorials are easy enough for a beginner to understand. This is what I did on the post about "Even a three year old can do it", which linked to a video showing a small child using the N800's sketch application.

It's surprisingly hard to make a tutorial for absolute beginners though. For example when using the internet radio feature my relative didn't know that the triangle pointing to the right means "play" and the square means "stop". We might laugh at that kind of ignorance, but really there's no obvious reason why a square should mean "stop" outside the context of a CD player or cassette deck, and ordinary radios don't have stop or play buttons. I'm not saying absolutely everything needs to be explained in intricate detail, but if it can quickly and easily be explained it ought to be (for example by saying "click on play (the triangle)" instead of just "click on play"). This is why I wanted to do videos to accompany the text, because videos can't be misinterpreted as easily as text instructions can.

One thing I would need some direct help on is the 770. I intend to get one if the site proves popular, but for the moment I just have the N800. If someone out there with a 770 wants to help with the site, I'd appreciate it if they could check which of the tutorials work on the 770 and which don't. If a tutorial works with the 770, I can label it for the 770 and N800.

bengati
2007-09-13, 11:35
I would like if it's possible,somebody to enable 770 to connect to wifi over PPPoE connection so i don't have to spend $50 or more on wifi router:)

jortiz
2007-09-13, 22:38
how about a step-by-step video enableing bluetooth pan on the n800?

basco
2007-09-14, 18:30
that is wonderful so now we can all learn our way around doing stuff that needs some one to help you with like boot from MMC, phonelink and more . . .

Thanks Man

Yea, like phonelink. You almost have to be a developer to get that going. I still working on installing it and getting it working. All the instructions I seen are sketchy.

tso
2007-09-15, 01:00
interesting to read this.

the original post makes me think of my theory that most people dont want a pc. they want a typewriter, calculator, mail and web device.

thats why its sad the foleo got cancelled. well there is s ill the eeepc. but interesting that a n800 and keyboard worked out. makes me wonder about those samsungs with foldable keyboards and what people would make of those with a hildon or similar ui.

hmm, maybe we will find out ones the mid's start shipping from multiple makers.akers.

ImDisaster
2007-09-15, 01:05
Great to see someone helping newbies.

I sat through your first tutorial. Overall, nicely paced.

However, the music was more annoying than soothing...not good for a newbie that is already a bit on edge using a new technology device. I'd much rather hear a voice walking me through.

Keep up the good work.

Nunim
2007-09-15, 02:28
I've made a couple of tutorials with very easy instructions (and pictures for every step) on my blog at http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/

ImDisaster
2007-09-15, 13:58
I've made a couple of tutorials with very easy instructions (and pictures for every step) on my blog at http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/

Nice. I checked out the YouTube/UKTUBE instructions...nicely written. Question: You mention a problem with Maemo repositories and a solution..."It seems that there is a fix out now, simply change the distribution from Mistral to Gregale for repository.maemo.org" How does one choose Gregale instead of Mistral? Perhaps another instruction page is in order. ;-)

krisse
2007-09-15, 19:19
Great to see someone helping newbies.

I sat through your first tutorial. Overall, nicely paced.

However, the music was more annoying than soothing...not good for a newbie that is already a bit on edge using a new technology device. I'd much rather hear a voice walking me through.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much for the comments!

The music... I think this is a damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. :-)

Originally I didn't want to have any sound at all, I like minimalist videos, and my previous videos for other websites I work on are mostly silent. However, I got complaints about this making the vids seem rather creepy and clinical. People told me to put anything in, as long as it made a noise.

The voice idea came up, but one thing I heard from quite a few foreign language users who watched my previous videos was how much they appreciated me NOT having a spoken commentary. By sticking to text captions it made it very very easy for them to follow my english, they could pause and read everything slowly, even run difficult phrases through a translator site. Of course I could read the captions out but I find that very annoying when other people do it (especially lecturers who put a slide up on a screen which they read aloud in full as if the audience was illiterate).

Incidentally, my choice of music is largely dictated by what YouTube has in its official "replace soundtrack" library which fits the video length. I try to choose stuff that's as cheerful and non-threatening as possible, but there's not always that much choice when videos are more than 5 minutes long.

Obviously some people will like the music and some will hate it, but at least everyone has the option of turning it off! :-)

interesting to read this.

the original post makes me think of my theory that most people dont want a pc. they want a typewriter, calculator, mail and web device.

Yes, I totally agree, I think most people with PCs now want something like a television set that they can just switch on and use.

PCs are so cheap now, there are so many reasons for non-tech people to use them, and often they're forced to use them for work purposes. This kind of mass market audience doesn't want to spend time constantly fixing, patching and learning their PC any more than you or I would want to spend time learning the intricacies of how a dishwasher or air conditioner works.

I think also the portable and low power consumption aspect does help, if you can leave the tablet switched on and just pick it up to surf at a moments notice like picking up a book. One thing my technophobic relative loves doing is viewing news headlines on a phone because he can check them without having to go through any start-up procedures. This is part of the reason I guessed he would get on well with the N800.

Tablet PCs have previously had a history of commercial failure, but they tended to combine a casual form factor with a non-casual UI (such as a full version of Windows or something similarly complicated). Perhaps devices like the N800 have the right combination of pick-up-and-use hardware and a simple internet-centric UI.

tso
2007-09-15, 19:32
and that is why its sad that the foleo was canned.

it ticked all the boxes.

the eeepc is similar when one use the tabbed launcher.

and didnt someone talk about running hildon on a laptop not to long ago?

and recently i have been dreaming of a N800 compatible foldable keyboard that one attach to the device, kinda like see with the samsung 9000 series of devices. when folded up it would protect the screen of the N800. and would (unlike on the samsung's) be detatchable, similar to how you can remove the cover of the 770.

or maybe just make the attachment point do a 180, so that one can have the keyboard folded on the back of the N800 if one just want to access the screen on the go.

krisse
2007-09-17, 20:40
I've added the seventh tutorial to the Internet Tablet School site, this time it's about how to connect the N800 to the internet through a mobile phone:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-connecting-to-internet.html

I've tried to cover the whole process from start to finish, including options for connecting manually and automatically, and how to connect multiple phones to the same N800.

krisse
2007-09-22, 13:23
Right, here comes tutorial number eight, a guide to the N800's built-in drawing application Sketch:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-using-sketch-to-draw.html

More experienced users may be wondering why I'm bothering with this tutorial as Sketch is a relatively easy program to use. There are three reasons:

-The relative I mentioned in the first post of this thread was absolutely fascinated by Sketch when I showed it to him. I think Sketch is a great way of getting newbies acquainted with the tablet and its interface (the menus at the top, the buttons at the bottom, the dialogue boxes, the ability of one app to exchange data with another etc).

-Many non-tablet people I've shown Sketch to have been enchanted by it, the screen is so bright and with such a high resolution that you can come up with some pretty impressive drawings if you're talented and willing to put the work in. It's also far more intuitive to draw with a stylus than with a mouse.

-Even people who know about Sketch sometimes don't appreciate the concept of drawing something for attachment to email, for sending wherever you are. Personally I think Sketch is one of the handiest features of the N800, it lets you send actual hand-drawn images on the move, which can be very useful for work or education, and it's quite fun to send someone a sketch instead of just sending a purely text-based mail. When I was younger I had a lot of penpals, and half of the letters were taken up with silly sketches next to the text.

tso
2007-09-22, 21:10
hell, isnt there people in the umpc community that talk about inking? as in doing stuff like writing on images and similar to explain what stuff is, using the pen/stylus?

krisse
2007-09-22, 22:49
hell, isnt there people in the umpc community that talk about inking? as in doing stuff like writing on images and similar to explain what stuff is, using the pen/stylus?

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make?

slider
2007-09-23, 00:12
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make?

me either. s/he is just trying to position him/herself as an "authority." :mad:

Keep up the good work!

krisse
2007-09-24, 01:17
Another tutorial for your enjoyment: how to use Google Maps on the N800 to find places, plan car journeys... and take a look round Area 51:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-using-google-maps-to-find.html

I realise there are installable navigation apps on internet tablets, but the beauty of Google Maps is you don't have to install anything, you just type three words and two dots into the browser address bar: maps.google.com

It also works really well on the tablet, the screen is easily good enough to cope with the detailed satellite photos and the browser is fast enough to render them very quickly. For me sites like Google Maps sum up the main strength of the Internet Tablet, it lets you access very advanced and very useful web-based applications without you having to install or set up anything.

It's also incredibly handy to have a free worldwide roadmap and route-planner at your fingertips when you're on the road. It might load a bit slower if you're using a mobile, but it's much faster than trying to plan a route yourself with a conventional paper map (assuming you even have one for the area you're travelling in).

krisse
2007-09-25, 18:05
I've put up another tutorial on the Internet Tablet School:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-how-to-set-up-and-use-gmail.html

It shows you how to use Gmail both on the web and through the N800's own email application.

I did this one because when I looked through the Tablet School's access logs there were many many people who had searched for info on how to set up Gmail on their tablets. Hopefully this will tell them what they need to know.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.

slider
2007-09-25, 18:49
It shows you how to use Gmail both on the web and through the N800's own email application.

another solid demonstration. careful, you could become highly sought after! ;)

is there a way to manage the mail notification flicker (turn it off)?

keep it up.

krisse
2007-09-25, 19:05
Thank you slider, nice comments make it all worthwhile... :)

is there a way to manage the mail notification flicker (turn it off)?

It only flickers a couple of times, then stays solid.

krisse
2007-09-27, 23:54
Another tutorial, this time inspired by the BBC thread elsewhere in this forum:

Nokia N800: Listening to internet radio stations, including the BBC

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-listening-to-internet-radio.html

Apologies for the lack of sound on the video, it's due to a technical hitch with YouTube which I hope will get fixed very soon.

As always, comments, corrections and general feedback is very welcome.

krisse
2007-10-04, 16:47
After a short break, more tutorials. First off is a guide to memory cards on the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-which-memory-cards-to-use.html

Corrections and feedback are always welcome! :)

This is another tutorial inspired by the site's access logs, quite a few people were searching Google for "n800 which memory card" or terms similar to that.

krisse
2007-10-05, 11:33
Right, it's taken a while but here's a newbie's guide to finding and installing software on the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-finding-and-installing-new.html

Feedback, comments, corrections etc etc all very very welcome. Please do say if you spot any mistakes as this is a very complicated topic.

I know there are lots of great apps which aren't catalogue-based, but as far as I can tell their installation is a bit too complicated for novices, due to compatibility and dependency issues.

krisse
2007-10-07, 21:59
Short and sweet tutorial this time, how to change the desktop wallpaper:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-how-to-customise-desktop.html

This is another one of those topics where people were searching for it, so I've done it.

krisse
2007-10-09, 01:28
Another photo-oriented tutorial, this time about how to transfer photos and videos from your phone onto your tablet so you can view and store them:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-using-it-as-photo-and-video.html

The N800's screen is so much better than most phones', it makes the N800 a perfect photo'n'vids album. It's also much easier to see if a photo has come out properly on the N800's screen than on a phone screen.

krisse
2007-10-13, 21:54
Very special tutorial this time, it's been filmed and devised by Thoughtfix of TabletBlog.com. It tells you how to export your RSS feed subscriptions from Google Reader to the N800's built-in RSS reader.

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-how-to-import-your-google.html

I wrote the text to make it clear what RSS feeds etc are, but all of the content (including the video and the tip to disconnect the N800 before importing) were all supplied by Thoughtfix.

Any corrections and comments very welcome.

krisse
2007-10-17, 02:23
Another new tutorial, this time a very in-depth look at the Handwriting Recognition feature. I started out thinking this feature was really awful, but the more I've gotten to know how it works the more I appreciate it.

If you set it up correctly, handwriting recognition lets you input text very quickly and in a very flexible way.

Anyhow, here's everything you need to know about using handwriting on the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-how-to-set-up-and-use.html

Any mistakes or comments, let me know.

ferjant
2007-10-23, 04:14
what a coincidence. i was browsing youtube for videos on N800 tutorials and i found this website. then i was just browsing this forum and its been here forever. you guys are awesome, im a ***** when it comes to Linux so im pretty much clueless.

Bigga
2007-10-24, 14:37
Yeah I've got to say though I'm not totally new to Linux. Sites like this one and yours make it a lot easier to delve in!

krisse
2007-10-28, 20:59
Thanks for the kind words! :)

The Internet Tablet School is taking a short break until mid-November, but then we'll be back doing regular tutorials. Everything is explained on the site:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/internet-tablet-school-is-on-pause.html

The existing tutorials will all still be accessible, but we're waiting for the new tablet operating system before doing any new tutorials.

Jobester
2007-10-29, 01:05
I love your site, consider an FAQ so people can find the harder to find tutorials and maybe one about copy/paste?

Edit: And right-click too, but I'll assume that's already covered under internet radio

sja68
2007-10-29, 14:55
Krisse, Thank you for all the tutorials. My N800 should arrive this week and I can't wait to learn how to use it. I have one question. What does a new user need to do first with the N800. Are there things you need to download or software that needs to be installed. I am not familar with the operating system at all and I am feeling a little anxious about how it all works.

Once again thank you for all your hard work for us newbies.

Kathy

krisse
2007-10-29, 17:26
Krisse, Thank you for all the tutorials. My N800 should arrive this week and I can't wait to learn how to use it. I have one question. What does a new user need to do first with the N800. Are there things you need to download or software that needs to be installed. I am not familar with the operating system at all and I am feeling a little anxious about how it all works.

Once again thank you for all your hard work for us newbies.

Kathy

Right, the first thing to do is... don't worry! The N800 is one of the easiest devices to use and requires very little technical knowledge.

When you first get the N800, you have to put the battery in the compartment, then charge the tablet for the first time. It will tell you when it's full on the screen.

You then have to set it up to connect to the internet, either through a wifi network (home networks usually use wifi) or through your mobile phone. There's a "new connection" icon in the top row which lets you pick from any nearby wifi connections, and you then enter the access code for that network to connect. You only have to enter an access code once, it remembers it for future use.

Once you've got the N800 charged and the connection set up... that's it, it should work straight away. Just click on the globe, open a new browser window and you're on the web.

If you want to install extra applications you can do it by the following method (but this is totally optional, you don't really need any other apps to use the tablet):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-finding-and-installing-new.html

Even if you never install extra apps, the one thing you really should do at some point is to update the tablet's firmware (although for some reason Nokia calls this "updating the software"). In a couple of weeks time it will be especially important as there will be a brand new version of the tablet operating system called ITOS 2008, which will introduce a much better browser and (apparently) an easier interface too, along with other improvements. ITOS 2008 is fully compatible with the N800.

If you have access to a Windows PC you can upgrade your N800 to the latest firmware by using the Tablet Update Wizard, which you can find here:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010

The wizard will give you full instructions on how to do the update. Make sure you do actually follow them, and don't fiddle with the cable during the update. Make sure the tablet has a full charge and that the cables are firmly connected before you start.

I love your site, consider an FAQ so people can find the harder to find tutorials and maybe one about copy/paste?

I hope the categories at the side of the page let people know where to find stuff, and they can also search using the search box at the top.

As for new tutorials, I'm waiting to see how the new OS 2008 works first, as it may work differently to the current OS 2007.

sja68
2007-11-06, 22:59
Kriss, will you be doing a tutorial on claw-mail? I have tried to set this up and can't get anywhere with it. Could really use some help.

Thanks for all you do for us Newbies.

Kathy

davabran
2007-11-08, 02:53
I think I can run my n800 pretty good when it finally gets here this weekend lol. Thanks for the tuts they are helpful. Reading how to's are nothing compared to visually seeing it performed.

krisse
2007-11-09, 11:34
Kriss, will you be doing a tutorial on claw-mail? I have tried to set this up and can't get anywhere with it. Could really use some help.

Thanks for all you do for us Newbies.

Kathy

I'll take a look at that, I know it's a popular application. I can't promise anything though as the new tutorials will all cover OS 2008 (the new operating system for N800 and N810 tablets), and I don't know which apps are available for it yet.

Thanks for the tuts they are helpful. Reading how to's are nothing compared to visually seeing it performed.

Thanks, that's exactly why I try to do a video for every tutorial. The idea is that the video and text work together, the video shows you generally what you're meant to do and the text gives you all the extra details that you might need. It also shows that the tutorial instructions do actually work, because I wouldn't be able to video it otherwise.

To get the most out of the tutorials it's well worth watching the video first, then reading through the text when you try doing whatever it is on your own tablet.

L0cutus
2007-11-20, 06:54
Also a good tutorial on how to backup all things is welcome :)

iontruo2
2007-11-23, 16:36
Another new tutorial, this time a very in-depth look at the Handwriting Recognition feature. I started out thinking this feature was really awful, but the more I've gotten to know how it works the more I appreciate it.

If you set it up correctly, handwriting recognition lets you input text very quickly and in a very flexible way.

Anyhow, here's everything you need to know about using handwriting on the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/10/nokia-n800-how-to-set-up-and-use.html

Any mistakes or comments, let me know.

Thanks very much!! I applaud your efforts!
I am very curious to persist with pen input. Qwerty is just too inefficient. Short of a 'Fitaly' or other style virtual keypad, I am going to give handwriting input a good try to keep the ol motor skills still working. :o

Keep up the great work, this newbie is most grateful.

krisse
2007-11-24, 08:11
Thanks very much!! I applaud your efforts!
I am very curious to persist with pen input. Qwerty is just too inefficient. Short of a 'Fitaly' or other style virtual keypad, I am going to give handwriting input a good try to keep the ol motor skills still working. :o

Keep up the great work, this newbie is most grateful.

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as useful!

On the handwriting, one mistake I made a lot was waiting for the previous letter to appear before writing the next letter. In fact you can carry on writing even if the tablet is still thinking about the previous letter, and if you do this your writing speed becomes much higher.

Another thing to do is have the patience to correct its mistakes the first few hours you use it. Once you do this, the number of mistakes drops dramatically. I think most of the bad press that handwriting recognition gets is because most users can't be bothered to correct mistakes. If they did, the mistakes would mostly stop coming.

mctablet
2007-11-26, 01:39
Thank you Krisse,
You have helped me and I am sure many others, I look forward for more to come.

mikeob
2007-11-27, 15:57
My N800 just arrived yesterday. Previously I had a Dell X51 PDA. This looks quite nice. Thanks to Krisse for the tutorials as there sure wasn't a lot of info with the "manual." Just have to play with it I guess.

krisse
2007-11-28, 01:59
Thanks mctablet and mikeob!

Mikeob, there is actually a built-in help system in the N800 with fairly detailed instructions, but it's a bit hidden. Within any particular application, click on the menu in the top left corner (on the desktop this is labelled "Home"), then select Tools, then select Help.

You can also read the entire built-in manual by going to the application menu (the two white squares), then Utilities, then PDF Reader, then the PDF Reader menu, then Document, then Open. Select the N800's Documents folder, and you'll see PDF versions of all the manuals in different languages. The english language manuals are right at the bottom.

mikeob
2007-11-28, 15:06
Thanks Krisse. I found the PDF file yesterday while messing around with it. Learn by doing. One thing I don't like about the mail program is that I have several accounts and when sending and receiving I never know which account is active. Any recommendations? Thanks

krisse
2007-11-28, 20:49
Thanks Krisse. I found the PDF file yesterday while messing around with it. Learn by doing. One thing I don't like about the mail program is that I have several accounts and when sending and receiving I never know which account is active. Any recommendations? Thanks

I don't personally use the built-in mail app, I tend to prefer webmail as it doesn't require any setting up. However, I've heard that a lot of people like to use the Claws mail application:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/claws-mail/

(just go to this page on your N800's browser and click on "install")

mikeob
2007-11-29, 04:17
I don't personally use the built-in mail app, I tend to prefer webmail as it doesn't require any setting up. However, I've heard that a lot of people like to use the Claws mail application:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/claws-mail/

(just go to this page on your N800's browser and click on "install")

Thanks! Loaded it any trying it out

TheGogmagog
2007-12-01, 15:07
I have a dumb question while you are on the subject. ls Google calender, mail and messaging the way to go or is there a better service for someone without any online accounts? How many accounts do you need?

A tutorial for the setup might be nice, in-spite of your preference to not use them.

*edit, I got an old MSN acct to work with Pidgin. I see hotmail won't work outside of the browser, but I can live with that. I suppose until I get friends urging me to join a certain message client there isn't a reason to create an account. I'm also using Garnet VM for calender syncing until that comes along in Maemo. If there is a 'match made in heaven' client I'd still be willing to drop MSN.

krisse
2007-12-10, 13:04
I have a dumb question while you are on the subject. ls Google calender, mail and messaging the way to go or is there a better service for someone without any online accounts? How many accounts do you need?

I'm not sure what you mean by "online accounts".

All email and messaging services rely on people having accounts with some sort of online service.

A tutorial for the setup might be nice, in-spite of your preference to not use them.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean.

I've already done an extensive tutorial on setting up the built-in mail program with Gmail/Google Mail:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-how-to-set-up-and-use-gmail.html

mrogers
2007-12-11, 04:12
Been reading this post and many others here. Like your site Krisse, and have watched/read several of the blogs.

Ordered my N800 from Dell last week, so I am hoping to get it in the next week. Really hoping the final OS2008 comes out, so I can install that, and eagerly await more great information from your site on the OS2008 and N800.

One thing that I would like to see if it would be any help to others. Do any bluetooth headsets work for Skype, and if so, could you do a tutorial if you have one lying around ;-)

Great work, keep it up.

Mike.

TheGogmagog
2007-12-11, 17:28
I'm not sure what you mean by "online accounts".

All email and messaging services rely on people having accounts with some sort of online service.Thanks for the link, that was mostly what I was asking for, accounts that work well with the built in software.
Google GMail, Google Talk, and Google Calendar seem to be the answer. I am currently using MSN, I might leave that as my spam mail and join the Google world. http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/

n810man913
2007-12-11, 19:51
Krisse all I can say is WOW! I am floored by the amount of effort and hard work you have put forth to helping newbies like me... I am new to linux and the N810 and have always been pretty computer savvy but your program you have created is giving me reason to keep this device. Hedge, and Dick, and a few others have been helping me and I will continue staying plugged in to this community and your school... all I can say is THANK YOU!!! :)

Brian

n810man913
2007-12-12, 20:23
Hey guys by the way do all of these tutorials apply to my N810 or do I have to wait specifically til the new tutorials for the N810 come out? I'm too anxious to wait LOL :D

krisse
2007-12-19, 11:25
n810man913, the short answer is: all the new upcoming tutorials will apply equally to the N800 and N810 because the N800 upgraded with the new OS 2008 works exactly like the N810 (though the N800 doesn't have GPS or a built-in physical keyboard).

I've only just got OS 2008 myself, so it's going to take a couple of days for any new tutorials (and then there's Christmas next week so that'll be another delay) but after that's sorted out expect the Internet Tablet School to be fully back in action for both N800 and N810 owners.

Anyone who owns an N800 can upgrade to OS 2008 for free, so I'm assuming that all my readers will do so as it's a significant improvement on the older operating system.

The long answer is that the old tutorials currently on the site may or may not work on the N810, because they were done for OS 2007, which is the older operating system which the N800 used to use. It's very very similar to OS 2008, so the current tutorials may well work for OS 2008 as well, but I can't guarantee it.

One thing that I would like to see if it would be any help to others. Do any bluetooth headsets work for Skype, and if so, could you do a tutorial if you have one lying around ;-)

As far as I know bluetooth headsets didn't work on OS 2007. I don't know about OS 2008 though, will let you know.

gemniii42
2007-12-19, 12:08
<snip>
As far as I know bluetooth headsets didn't work on OS 2007. I don't know about OS 2008 though, will let you know.
Is this Skype specific?
Cuz' I love my Kyocera stereo BT headsets with my 810.

ryanoctober
2007-12-19, 18:02
Hi im trying to install python for my n800 but it keeps failing download. Can u help?

Lagunatic
2007-12-23, 02:20
Thanks for the resources. I'm looking into the N810 and will probably get one in the next month or so. Just wanted to wait til Xmas was out of the way. I'm here to gain some knowledge about the 810 and see what we can all do together to make our devices more fun. Nice to meet you all. -Lagunatic

sfelman
2007-12-28, 00:12
just want to thank everyone at internet tablet for providing a great resource for the N800/810

violent ken
2007-12-30, 01:44
very helpful for newbs like me. this makes my n800 easier to learn and use
thanks

sct
2008-01-02, 15:04
Thanks Krisse, really great page!

krisse
2008-01-15, 11:02
Just to let you know, the tutorials have started appearing again. The first new tutorial is about the Internet Tablet Video Converter:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-convert-transfer.html

I've also added a contents page so it's easier to browse the tutorials:

The contents is a bit empty at the moment because I'm only adding links to tutorials which have been updated to take account of OS 2008 and the N810.

krisse
2008-01-17, 22:04
Right, this is a pretty long article but I think it's important enough to warrant it:

The Internet Tablet School's complete guide to updating the N800's firmware, and how to upgrade to OS 2008 (http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/nokia-n800-how-to-update-n800s-firmware.html)

As always, please let me know if there are any errors.

euchreprof
2008-01-19, 09:39
I think a "tablets for dummies" site is looong overdue. Nice work!

Didn't I ban you from posting in the newbie form about a year ago? Did you think I would forget and go away that easily?

krisse
2008-01-23, 11:20
I've added a tutorial on using Bluetooth headsets (as the N800 and N810 are now officially compatible with them):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-set-up-and-use.html

and there are more updated versions of older tutorials now on the contents page (updated to take account of the N810 and the OS 2008 update for the N800):

krisse
2008-02-03, 17:25
The N800 and N810 have a decent alarm clock, but it seems to be a bit hidden from view and I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it recently.

I've done a tutorial not only highlighting how you access it but how you can set multiple and repeating alarms, and how to customise the alarm sound:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-use-alarm-clock.html

krisse
2008-02-04, 01:01
Another mini-tutorial, this time about how to find and use the built-in help system on the N800 and N810:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-use-built-in.html

It's amazing how many people never notice the tutorials provided with the actual tablet, practically every feature and application has one. I think it's because people often miss the menu at the top.

ssmith
2008-02-04, 01:54
Thanks for all the work you do on the Internet Tablet School, krisse. I've been reading it since I got my N800, and learned quite a bit from your tutorials.

krisse
2008-02-05, 03:31
Another couple of new things on the Internet Tablet School...

First, the firmware update tutorial has now been altered so it covers the N810 as well as the N800 (and it includes an N810 video too, so it's now the first tutorial with two videos):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/01/nokia-n800-how-to-update-n800s-firmware.html

Second, I've done a video and tutorial on watching YouTube videos through the N800 and N810 web browser:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-watching-youtube-videos.html

Thanks for all the work you do on the Internet Tablet School, krisse. I've been reading it since I got my N800, and learned quite a bit from your tutorials.

Thanks very much ssmith!

It's nice to know people appreciate the site, makes it all worthwhile.

jolouis
2008-02-06, 21:18
Not sure if you're looking for ideas but connecting USB devices to the N800 seems to be a fairly popular topic and thanks to OS 2008 and some recent developments on the adapter side of things it's easy enough now to be "newbie experience level capable" ;-)

Just a though... great work on the rest of the site though, I'm going to send a link to my Dad so he can learn to get the most out of his N800.

Thanks!
-Rob

krisse
2008-02-07, 05:09
New tutorial, this time on how to maximise your tablet's battery life:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-save-battery.html

Not sure if you're looking for ideas but connecting USB devices to the N800 seems to be a fairly popular topic and thanks to OS 2008 and some recent developments on the adapter side of things it's easy enough now to be "newbie experience level capable" ;-)

Yes, a lot of people have asked about this!

I'm still not sure if this is easy to do "out of the box" though, so I don't know how suitable it is for my particular site. As I understand it you need a rather unusual adapter for it to work, and you need to install a patch on the tablet too?

It's also probably not something that most people would want to do with a pocket-sized device, though obviously a significant minority do.

Just a though... great work on the rest of the site though, I'm going to send a link to my Dad so he can learn to get the most out of his N800.

Yes, please do, this is exactly what the Internet Tablet School is for! Let me know if there's anything he has trouble with.

Tell him to click on the index page on the side of the screen if he ever gets lost, as it's got a list of all the up-to-date tutorials.

superstar
2008-02-07, 05:58
Krisse, your tutorials have helped me a lot, thanks!

jolouis
2008-02-07, 16:37
I'm still not sure if this is easy to do "out of the box" though, so I don't know how suitable it is for my particular site. As I understand it you need a rather unusual adapter for it to work, and you need to install a patch on the tablet too?

Actually it's extremely easy now; As long as you have OS 2008 installed (N810 this is the only option, N800 obviously you need to make sure you've got it installed) all you need is one of
these (http://www.electronicproductonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1781) for the N800. I understand for the N810 that a similar adapter/dongle should be available shortly. All you have to do is plug it in, plug in your USB device, and the tablet will recognize it (see the list of supported devices in the wiki entry (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_USB_Host_mode_on_the_N800_u sing_OS_2008)).

The biggest draw for USB seems to be thumb drives and USB keyboards; both of which I think would have a significant following among new commers rather than just "niche" groups...

Anyways, thanks again for the excellent site!

-Rob

krisse
2008-02-07, 21:04
Rob, thanks for that info. I think what put me off was a recent blog entry on maemo.org which claimed you had to modify the cable yourself, or buy a female/female adaptor and install software, but apparently that isn't required.

EDIT: Aha, you make these modified dongles yourself! Do you think other places will start making them too, or is your shop the only source at the moment?

edski
2008-02-08, 04:53
Krisse,
Your clear, concise tutorials with video are clearly the product of hard work and your love of these devices. After watching several of your vids and seeing the simple beauty of the GUI with the variety of cool software available due to the efforts of many, I finally decided to go ahead and order a Nokia N800 ! (currently, onsale.com has a good price...)

Thank you for helping me discover just the perfect little portable device that will do everything I want it to (and more). Nokia should sign you up as an NIT Ambassador ;)

krisse
2008-02-08, 07:08
Edski, thank you! :)

I do these tutorials precisely because I do think it's a powerful and very easy to use device once you know how to get started, so I'm helping people get started.

To give Nokia their credit, they have loaned me an N800 totally free and gave me an 80% discount on buying an N810, so they have helped the site as well.

jolouis
2008-02-08, 23:53
Rob, thanks for that info. I think what put me off was a recent blog entry on maemo.org which claimed you had to modify the cable yourself, or buy a female/female adaptor and install software, but apparently that isn't required.

EDIT: Aha, you make these modified dongles yourself! Do you think other places will start making them too, or is your shop the only source at the moment?

There's been a thread for a while by various users in the N800 section of the forums talking about how to make some different versions of the cable/adapter; I started by making one for myself, found a fairly easy way to do it, and posted it up. There were several responses from some of the less technical people (my favourite was "easy to do is relative to your skill with a soldering iron!") wishing they could just buy one somewhere and be done with it, so I did some checking and decided to just keep doing the same thing I'd done for myself and offer them up for other people to purchase. At the moment as far as I know I'm the first person to do this, but I mean there's certainly nothing saying that I'm the only one who ever can or will ;) Once I get the initial batches sorted out (I knew there would be some desire for these, but the demand has been overwhelming!) I'm working on establishing some reseller prices as well so that others can help keep the shipping costs down in other areas.

The goal and motivation of the whole thing is to make it easy for everyone to be able to enjoy the full USB functionality of the tablets, not just the more adventurous among us.

Thanks!
-Rob

krisse
2008-02-09, 03:19
That's really great Rob, I wish you the best of luck with the venture!

Just out of interest, is it possible that Nokia might simply alter the next firmware so that the normal adaptors work without modification? Or are they unlikely to do that for technical reasons?

krisse
2008-02-11, 02:30
Another tutorial, this time on how to connect the N800 or N810 to the internet using a wi-fi connection:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-connect-your.html

As always, please please please DO say if you spot any mistakes, it's always helpful to hear feedback on these tutorials.

krisse
2008-02-12, 03:04
Okay, this tutorial is for Star Trek fans, or anyone who just wants a completely new theme for their N800 or N810. It tells you how to turn your tablet into one of those "PADD" computers that they carried round the ship, but unlike the props this will actually work:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-turn-your.html

krisse
2008-02-18, 12:26
I've added a video of the LCARS theme in action, if anyone's curious to know what it looks like in various applications:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-turn-your.html

krisse
2008-02-21, 07:46
Another tutorial added to the Internet Tablet School, this time explaining how to use the RSS Feed Reader, and why it's such a useful application:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-use-rss-feed.html

krisse
2008-02-24, 15:21
I've now updated the tutorial on how to connect your tablet to the internet through a mobile phone:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2007/09/nokia-n800-connecting-to-internet.html

There's a new video and the text has been completely updated to take account of the changes in the latest tablet operating system, OS 2008.

It's basically much easier now to make the tablet to use your phone, the process is more streamlined because the pairing process automatically starts the phone network operator wizard.

krisse
2008-02-25, 12:06
Brief but important, this tutorial covers how to use the File Manager application on the N800 and N810:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/02/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-use-file-manager.html

valia
2008-02-26, 22:34
These tutorials are great! I started watching the video tutorials (and subbed to them) as soon as I ordered my n800, and I'm still waiting for its arrival! That way, at least I'll have a foundational basis of its workings, despite the fact that I know NOTHING about Linux. I did, however, manage to teach myself how to use the computer/internet at a very young age. So, with a little help from the tutorials, I should be able to manage :)

krisse
2008-02-29, 12:34
Thanks Valia!

You really don't need to know Linux at all to use these tablets, unless you want to do some really advanced stuff.

Don't forget to read the text tutorials that accompany the videos too, there's a lot of stuff in the text that doesn't fit in YouTube's 10 minute video limit. :)

krisse
2008-02-29, 19:26
Another updated tutorial, this shows you how to find and install applications and games on the N800 and N810:

valia
2008-03-01, 02:51
Ya, I figured that out once I got mine and started using it. It's pretty easy to navigate through the programs. The only thing that's slightly annoying is when I'm trying to play Blocks and I hit the wrong button which pauses the game, lol.

krisse
2008-03-02, 19:17
Yeah, blocks is a bit tricky for me to get used to anyway as it uses the tablet screen sideways. :)

krisse
2008-03-02, 23:01
Another new tutorial, this time on word processing on the N800 and N810:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/nokia-n800-n810-word-processing-with.html

I've just covered Notes and Google Documents because those are the two that are easiest to access, they don't even require any installation.

Scarflash
2008-03-03, 00:21
thx, i've been meaning to explore the art of writing.

scumgrief
2008-03-03, 02:15
Krisse,

Your tutorials are outrageously awesome and precise. I like your style :)

Scum

PS jealous about your good deals on IT's..... Im broke, but technolust for real nice devices always exists.

krisse
2008-03-03, 10:15
Krisse,

Your tutorials are outrageously awesome and precise. I like your style :)

Scum

I like your name! :)

PS jealous about your good deals on IT's..... Im broke, but technolust for real nice devices always exists.

If you're willing to write about tablets and you've got a record of blogging/posting on the internet, Nokia are actually pretty willing to loan tablets for free. They don't even mind if you criticise the tablets, as long as you write about them in an interesting way.

Betty Woo
2008-03-05, 03:40
Aaaaahhh - I just visited the Internet Tablet School. Such good videos. Very informative.

They're so much easier to follow than reading instructions and are especially valuable when a forum thread goes on for pages of alternative instructions and tangents and people having problems and wording that sometimes makes it hard to search the site.

Question: aside from my wild, grouchy panic attack about not being able to read the New York Times, how do you decide on the subject of the next video(s)?

I'm just really curious :)

krisse
2008-03-06, 12:31
Another new tutorial, this time some hints and tips on using the browser:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/nokia-n800-n810-hints-and-tips-for.html

Hi Betty,

Yeah, I did the instructions and videos partly because so many support forums have lots of good info but it's so difficult to find. If you ask a question that's been asked before, people often just reply "why don't you search the forums?", but that's not always easy to do if you don't know the correct keywords to find the relevant thread.

By the way, the NY Times thing was very interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I never realised just how awful that fit width option was. I've made sure to mention it in today's browser tutorial.

On choosing topics, at the beginning the topics were mostly random, but over the past month or two I've been working my way through a list of subjects that I think beginners would find interesting. I've almost finished the list, and I'm planning to then start covering useful tablet applications, and also websites which suit being viewed on the tablet (for example origami websites are great on the tablet because you can see the instructions/videos in front of you while you're folding the origami paper).

krisse
2008-03-11, 11:33
Not a tutorial, but a bit of news about the Tablet School site. I've written a short book which is designed to accompany the site which tries to explain technical terms in plain english, and also includes some articles about the tablets in general.

If you appreciate the site, please consider buying a copy:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/internet-tablet-school-companion.html

There are no tutorials in the book because they get out of date so quickly, I've tried to include more timeless information in the book instead.

I should add that the book is meant more for beginners than experts, just like the Tablet School site.

krisse
2008-03-15, 18:23
I've updated the tutorial on using the web browser, as lots of people pointed out that the green "go to" button could be used as a refresh button. I've also added details on how to highlight text on web pages, as there was an interesting thread about it on this forum:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/nokia-n800-n810-hints-and-tips-for.html

Learning
2008-03-16, 22:24
Does the KDE operating system work on a Nokia n800?

GeneralAntilles
2008-03-16, 23:05

KDE isn't an "operating system", and there's a forum for it over here. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)

krisse
2008-03-17, 00:57

Yes, pretty much. As GeneralAntilles pointed out, there's an entire forum dedicated to running it on the tablets.

KDE isn't an "operating system", and there's a forum for it over here. (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)

I know it's technically incorrect, but in practice I think it's okay for end users to call KDE an OS.

From a user's point of view KDE is an OS in effect: you can only use KDE apps in a KDE environment, which is pretty much like only using Windows apps on a Windows PC. Also, KDE replaces the familiar Hildon interface with something totally different, very much like Ubuntu replaces the Windows interface on a PC. I realise the technical process is different, but that's mostly behind-the-scenes stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see any practical reason to distinguish between "environments" and "platforms" and OSes, unless you're a developer or other kind of advanced user.

Learning
2008-03-17, 01:00
Thanks for the help!

tso
2008-03-17, 03:14
From a user's point of view KDE is an OS in effect: you can only use KDE apps in a KDE environment

only things needed to run kde apps are the base kde libs and QT.

krisse
2008-03-17, 08:39
only things needed to run kde apps are the base kde libs and QT.

The end user wouldn't see that though. All they would see is that installing KDE lets them run KDE apps.

I'm trying to concentrate on practical differences, not technical ones.

krisse
2008-03-17, 09:50
Another tutorial, this time covering how to use Skype for free and cheap phone calls on the tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-install-and-use.html

krisse
2008-03-21, 18:43
The tutorial this time is about the application Xournal. It doesn't cover every feature as there are so many, but has some general hints and tips to get you started, and tells you how to install and remove it:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/nokia-n800-n810-take-notes-and-doodle.html

krisse
2008-03-30, 20:19
The Internet Tablet School is taking a break for a couple of weeks so there won't be any new tutorials for that period, but the archives will of course be fully accessible.

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/03/internet-tablet-school-taking-break.html

krisse
2008-04-18, 15:23
Another new tutorial, this time on how to make video calls with the tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/04/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-use-tablets-to.html

I've just done it for Google Talk because this is very easy if you already have a Google account (which a lot of people do, Gmail accounts are the same thing as Google accounts).

krisse
2008-04-22, 23:26
An extremely short tutorial this time, but possibly quite useful if you don't know how the tablet "night light" is controlled:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/04/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-switch-tablets.html

krisse
2008-04-24, 18:11
Here's an in-depth tutorial on how to use Last.fm with your tablet, both through the browser and through Canola (and yes, I do mention Vagalume too):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/04/nokia-n800-n810-using-lastfm-to-make.html

If you don't know what Last.fm is, try it out, it's really addictive. It's basically a sort of personalised internet radio station where you choose a theme for the tracks to be based around, and it plays music related to that theme. You can skip tracks you don't want to hear, ban tracks you never want to hear, and it's all free and legal.

The easiest way to try it is just to go to the www.last.fm website, register a username and click on "Listen". The player works in the website, both on the tablet browser and on a PC browser.

krisse
2008-04-30, 23:50
Another short and sweet one, this tutorial explains how to unzip .zip files on the Nokia tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/05/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-unzip-files.html

GeneralAntilles
2008-05-01, 00:07
Would just like to throw in a few "Thanks!" to krisse for all the hard work he's put into the Tablet School. Writing these guides isn't at all easy work (especially with those excellent video demonstrations) and I know he's helped a lot of people learn to use their devices.

Thanks, krisse!

Make sure you send in an application for the next discount program if Nokia runs another one. ;)

krisse
2008-05-01, 07:40
Thanks General! I'm very flattered!

Hopefully once people have read a few tutorials they'll be brave enough to try some of the advanced topics on this forum and elsewhere. There's SO much good info on here, but you need a certain amount of knowledge to understand it, which is hopefully provided by the ITS.

As it says on the site, sales of the ITS Companion book help keep the site going, so if any beginners want to show their appreciation for the site they might consider buying the book. (Anyone can buy the book of course, but I suspect beginners will get the most out of it!)

The link to the book is below in my signature.

krisse
2008-05-09, 13:02
Yet another tutorial, this time showing how to connect a standard computer keyboard to the N800 or N810:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/05/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-connect-ordinary.html

joepagiii
2008-05-10, 18:03
instead of going thru and thanking you on each post id like to give one for all of them

krisse
2008-05-10, 19:41
instead of going thru and thanking you on each post id like to give one for all of them

Well, just give one at random then, that'll be enough. :-)

Or if you want to go really over the top, try buying the book:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2178569

krisse
2008-05-14, 21:05
Another USB tutorial, this time on how to connect flash drives:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/05/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-connect-usb.html

jolouis
2008-05-16, 12:53
Hi Krisse,

Great work with the latest batch of USB-related tutorials... It's nice to see that people are slowly realizing the potential of USB on these devices! I was a bit surprised to see though that nowhere was there any mention of the community-derived USB OTG adapter (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15705) for the N800, as it really is by far the easiest way to go for USB connectivity, especially from a Newbie point of view. Not saying that you should tote it as the way to go or anything, but I would have thought it would be a good idea to at least mention that it exists and is a possibility for N800 users as there has been overwhelming feedback saying what a great idea it is for newbies... (lol well 25 pages of forum posts and several hundred of the blummen things sold in the last 2 months).

Also I don't know how far you're planning on getting with your "USB" series, but another very popular one with people I've spoken to is Wired Networking (http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Wired_Networking_using_USB_ host_mode_and_OS_2008) (and with the OTG adapter my Dad can do this... he doesn't even know how to turn Bluetooth on, so it's definately Newbie capable!)

Thanks again for all your excellent work!!
-Rob

krisse
2008-05-16, 15:06
Rob,

I hadn't forgotten the excellent and easier-to-use OTG adaptor. You are absolutely right that it is a much easier way to attach USB accessories than the method in the tutorials. You just plug it and it works, which is as simple as it can get.

I did agonise over whether to go with that or the F-F/software option, and in the end I went for the latter. It was partly because F-F adaptors are so easy to find, partly because the F-F method works with the N810 too, but partly also because I was worried some people who don't read the article properly might try to use an unmodified version of the OTG adaptor (because some adaptors look like the OTG but aren't).

However, what I thought I'd do is get one or two more USB tutorials (I'm going to try an externally-powered HDD next, and then if I can get it to work your suggestion of networking too) and then do a special tutorial dedicated to the OTG adaptor, along with links to this article in the other USB articles, and instructions on where people can get the adaptor. I want to make it clear to users that they can only use the modified adaptor, not adaptors that look the same but are unmodified.

-krisse

joepagiii
2008-05-16, 15:15
i got an external hdd running...one of the 2 cable types....used my battery pack to power it and the n800 to read it...also worked with an ipod in disk mode used its own battery...thought i was on to something...my lifedrive only shows the internal 32 gig not the external 2 gig....i know this is like one of my earlier posts but well im very pleased with the otg.adapter all of the items can be used together on the road which i thought was very cool indeed

oski2302
2008-05-19, 16:21
Maybe you could put up a list of topics that need to be covered, so that people who'd like to help can choose one (or more), do a writeup and present it to you for approval.

I for one would like to offer my (however limited) services, but it's hard to think up topics that might be of interest for new users.

Thank you to all the help you offer to newbies like me, I own a N800 and love it. My questions: I read somewhere that with a 8GB card you could make a partition to store applets or programs, sometimes I have the feeling that the internal memory is too small; is it possible, or desirable also? I´d like to use the memo recorder to send my speech to my brother, he´s editing some texts for me, I have changed the rec format to wav, but he can´t open it, any solutions?

Thank in advance for any help

Oscar

wilspin
2008-05-19, 21:22
Hello your web page is great exactly what I needed I only have one problem. I have a hotmail account instead of a gmail account and all my contacts and friends also have hotmail, how can i set up my internet tablet (n800) so that I use my hotmail account instead of a gmail account. Also a Newbie!

krisse
2008-05-20, 05:27
Hello your web page is great exactly what I needed I only have one problem. I have a hotmail account instead of a gmail account and all my contacts and friends also have hotmail, how can i set up my internet tablet (n800) so that I use my hotmail account instead of a gmail account. Also a Newbie!

I'm actually holding off doing the email tutorials until the new version of the tablet operating system appears, because apparently it has a new kind of e-mail application.

Basically though, you have two choices for email:

-Use the web browser to look at your Hotmail account through the Hotmail website. This is very easy to do because it works just like it does on your PC. There's no setup required.

OR

-Set up the tablet's built-in email app so that it works with your Hotmail account. What you have to do is look at Hotmail's support pages for setting up a "POP" or "IMAP" account, and use those instructions along with the tablet e-mail app's account setup wizard.

krisse
2008-05-23, 06:08
Incidentally, in case anyone missed it, I've posted an explanation of how to fix your tablet web browser's Flash if it's stopped working. It's very very very very very easy to do once you know how, takes about two seconds:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/05/nokia-n800-n810-has-your-tablet-web.html

See? Easy.

GeneralAntilles
2008-05-23, 06:59
Incidentally, in case anyone missed it, I've posted an explanation of how to fix your tablet web browser's Flash if it's stopped working. It's very very very very very easy to do once you know how, takes about two seconds:

Thanks for changing the Flash auto-shut-off explanation, krisse, it's dead-on perfect and readable now.

krisse
2008-05-23, 15:13
Thanks for changing the Flash auto-shut-off explanation, krisse, it's dead-on perfect and readable now.

Thanks to you for nagging me into changing it! ;)

krisse
2008-05-31, 09:14
You may remember a while ago I offered people the chance to support the Internet Tablet School site by buying a book written for tablet newbies:

http://www.lulu.com/content/2178569

Well, I've added a second option for people who aren't necessarily newbies, or for those who want to make a slightly smaller contribution towards the site. It's... the Internet Tablet School Badge:

http://www.cafepress.com/tabletschool.271178559

For those of you familiar with Cafepress, don't worry, I'm not going to start selling thongs or beer mugs or anything like that, the badge is the only item in the site's shop. It's $2 plus $1 postage within the United States (where the bulk of my visitors come from).

Or you could buy both of course...

krisse
2008-06-01, 22:13
It took a while, but here's the tutorial on attaching a hard disk to your tablet:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/06/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-attach-hdd-aka.html

It's very similar to the tutorial on attaching a flash drive, but there are some important differences and they deserve separate tutorials.

krisse
2008-06-16, 15:14
As promised long ago to jolouis, here's an article on an alternative method for attaching USB accessories to the N800 (it doesn't work for the N810 though):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/06/alternative-way-to-use-usb-accessories.html

krisse
2008-07-13, 11:20
It's been a while, but here's a brand new tutorial on how to use e-mail on the tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/07/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-set-up-and-use-e.html

It covers both webmail and the built-in e-mail app, with a particular focus on Gmail as so many people have asked about it.

krisse
2008-07-17, 19:49
Another tablet tutorial, this time on a rather unusual topic:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/07/nokia-n800-n810-how-to-crochet-lovely.html

You'll note the complete "source code" is included, and this may be regarded as a piece of free crochetwear.

krisse
2008-07-22, 14:12
No video this time either, but it is more directly tablet related. I've basically explained how to very very easily install a calendar on the tablets. It takes about three clicks, with no need for typing or adding of repositories either:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/07/nokia-n810-n800-how-to-add-calendar-and.html

I haven't mentioned pimlico because AFAIK that's still in alpha on the tablets and it's not very easy to install either.

krisse
2008-07-24, 17:23
Another mini-tutorial, this time on how to use the tablets with Fon routers:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/07/nokia-n810-n800-how-to-use-tablets-with.html

Credit for the method in the article goes to Benson, and I've linked to the relevant ITT thread at the beginning of the tutorial.

krisse
2008-07-29, 12:49
Another non-video tutorial (yes, I know, there will be another video one soon though). This is a guide for people who have literally just got their tablet and are wondering what to do next:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/2008/07/nokia-n810-n800-first-steps-with-your.html

It also links quite heavily to the other guides on the ITS, so this is also a sort of intro to the site. I've put it at the top of the index page as a "Start here!" link.

Andyjenk
2008-08-10, 09:29
I've found Internet Tablet School to be invaluable. Thank you. May I make the following request as a relative newbie?
As N800/N810 users we are pretty much spoiled with Application Manager, but for some interesting applications you need to know about root, tarballs patches etc. A step-by-step guide showing how to use these would be appreciated (or pointers as to where to look!)

Thanks again,

Andy

ELRobin
2008-09-11, 23:54
Hi,

On your tablet school site....All references and tutorials are made about the N8 range... do I just follow them, even for the N770 range?

Thanks very much.

leegal01
2008-12-30, 21:44
I am a newbie and need o ask.. How can I get internet coverage when away from my network. most others I find are locked and I have had no luck with the telco companies with advice except for a very expensive mobile phone with connection.

I also want to download google gears to my tablet for use off line. Is it compatible and which version do I download? linux? I tried this and it didn't work.. Please help