PDA

View Full Version : Magazine for Linux newbs

heckler770
2006-01-07, 07:49
I don't know if this interests anyone here, but I found it helpful- I'm new to Linux. The latest issue of the magazine "Linux Format" seems to be geared towards Linux newbies like me :p . It includes multiple install discs of Suse Linux "distro" (see, I'm learning :D ), a pull-out with a glossary and flowchart of the directories (I found this very useful) and, so far, some very informative articles on install, and software- I'm only about 1/3 through it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

By the way, anyone have a preference between Suse and Fedora? I have Fedora installed on my learning PC. Is Suse worth switching to? Or is that like comparing a Granny Smith apple to a Red Delicious? Also, would you recommend any books good for learning the basics? Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

vjones777
2008-10-04, 13:19
+1 Great magazine.

It gives a lot of info on what Useful s/w is out there, comparisons of free s/w, tutorials and news. It's done in a really friendly way. It's not just for begginers either - a lot of experienced linux guys in the office like to read it as its very practical.
Check it out at lxf back issues (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=NewArchives) you can view older mags (>6mths I think) online. Subscribers also get access to current issues as well as the printed mag with dvd.

Not affiliated - just a happy reader.

timberwolf
2008-10-05, 20:05
Perhaps a Debian based distro would be a more useful for eventually delving into your Nokia internet tablet in the future? (Assuming that's why you posted on ITT?)

geneven
2008-10-05, 21:13
I would prefer Suse myself if I had to choose between the two distros; Suse seems more user-friendly to me. But something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint might be even better for newbies.

jjchambers
2008-10-05, 21:42
I don't know if this interests anyone here, but I found it helpful- I'm new to Linux. The latest issue of the magazine "Linux Format" seems to be geared towards Linux newbies like me :p . It includes multiple install discs of Suse Linux "distro" (see, I'm learning :D ), a pull-out with a glossary and flowchart of the directories (I found this very useful) and, so far, some very informative articles on install, and software- I'm only about 1/3 through it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

By the way, anyone have a preference between Suse and Fedora? I have Fedora installed on my learning PC. Is Suse worth switching to? Or is that like comparing a Granny Smith apple to a Red Delicious? Also, would you recommend any books good for learning the basics? Thanks for any input.

Cheers!

I'm also looking for some good books if anyone has any suggestions.

J

Benson
2008-10-06, 03:23
Now that you mention it, I remember picking up a few issues of Linux Format back when... probably is a pretty good newb resource.
By the way, anyone have a preference between Suse and Fedora? I have Fedora installed on my learning PC. Is Suse worth switching to? Or is that like comparing a Granny Smith apple to a Red Delicious?
Ummm... it's like comparing a wormy Granny Smith to a rotten Red Delicious?
Slackware's like an orchard-ripened Jonamac. :D
Debian doesn't look all that bad, and although imho Ubuntu is worse than Debian, it's still better than SuxSE or Red A-hat. (Which, to answer your query, I'd put about equal, though it's been a while since I mucked with either of them)

(Of course, as a more experienced geek, it's my solemn duty to take all the distro-wars a bit too seriously, so while my praise is sincere, my disses might be just a little exaggerated...)