View Full Version : New N800 Reboot Reboot Reboot Arghh

Ossian
2007-09-18, 21:58
Hi!

I have to ask a dumb question I bought an N800 today on impulse after lusting after one for ages. Largely to act as a web tablet (which I had been using a PSP for and before that a Pocket PC which is now dead). It looks pretty good however...

I had some bother with getting the radio to work through the headphone socket and noise (like not earthed right) from the socket when not in use. Worse still the N800 reboots randomly, sometimes it reboots 4/5 times in a loop. Is my new N800 faulty? It is certainly annoying. I don't want to have to take it back but I'd much rather have a working one.

Thanks guys,
Ossian

PS- I have the latest OS build factory installed

Ossian
2007-09-21, 00:09
Ok I got a refund. Question should I buy another or do N800s just crash and reboot a lot. I'm feeling a little burnt and disappointed. But damn that screen is good.

Ossian

Milhouse
2007-09-21, 00:47
Mine is solid as a rock...

jweinel
2007-09-21, 12:08
Had mine since July with no reboot problems (and I have quite an assortment of apps that I installed). Also bought one and set it up for a relative. No problems whatsoever.

peterjb31
2007-09-21, 12:11
Normally rather stable. Didn't even have to reboot after dropping in floodwaters.

ysss
2007-09-21, 13:21
I'd also vouch for the stability. Sometimes I have to (manually) reboot it when I exit ScummVM unclean, without pressing the QUIT button because I can't rerun ScummVM again after that. But that doesn't affect other apps or the base OS.

fud
2007-10-07, 04:51
I got the same as you. I imported an N800 into Japan when I was there, the thing just _cant_ connect to any wireless network after about 3mins of being on, then it gos into all sorts of reboots. I tried all the updates - no difference, must be faulty h/w. Basically its a worthless POS now as without wireless its kinda useless. Im quite disapointed.

geneven
2007-10-07, 04:59
In both cases, I would reflash regardless. This is not typical.

krisse
2007-10-07, 08:27
Ok I got a refund. Question should I buy another or do N800s just crash and reboot a lot. I'm feeling a little burnt and disappointed. But damn that screen is good.

Ossian

Mine has worked fine for ages, never crashed or rebooted at all. This is one of the most stable portable devices I've ever used.

Try buying a new one, especially if you're in the USA as the price has just dropped to about $250-$299. You might want to try a different shop though, the store you used the first time might have a bad batch.

Generally, the only things that may cause crashes are poorly-written third party applications, but if you just want to use the tablet for the built-in software then this is irrelevant.