PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 PDA Software - quite satisfied with it!

RyanPatrick
2006-01-07, 17:43
I realized that I posted a response to someone's thread about the lack of PDA functionality on the Nokia 770, and that I just found the site DejaDesktop that released PDA software (calendar/contact manager) with sync to desktop Outlooks, but then realized that it was in a sub-thread that might never be seen!

Well, I'm satisfied with the software - if you're looking for PDA software, check out Dejadesktop.com.

RP.

Invader J
2006-01-07, 20:58
Erf, the thing I don't like is the monthly fees! $10/month? I'd rather pay a straight $30-$40 dollars for good PIM software and be done with it... =( I understand the fee is for the sync aspect, but I'd rather avoid the monthly fee and just sync manually via USB or BT. That's $120/year!

djinn
2006-01-07, 21:05
Erf, the thing I don't like is the monthly fees! $10/month? I'd rather pay a straight $30-$40 dollars for good PIM software and be done with it... =( I understand the fee is for the sync aspect, but I'd rather avoid the monthly fee and just sync manually via USB or BT. That's $120/year!
Agreed. That costs way too much for a functionality that most people don't really need (remote sync'ing). Why can't they offer local sync for a one-time fee instead? Sabesh.

Mike Cane
2006-01-07, 21:50
Don't forget that it is beta. They are probably working to get the remote bit working properly before tackling local.

I d/led it but haven't loaded it yet.

michaelalanjones
2006-01-07, 22:11
I thought about this today - you could do a macro in Outlook that would assemble the spreadsheet pictured below, (and attached). Then it could copy the spreadsheet to the Shared Bluetooth folder, (which the 770 can see on your PC). Then just open it in Gnumeric.

Alternatively, you could make Outlook email the spreadsheet to you, on a secondary email address, and open the email to see your schedule.

Just something to think about. For fun.

philmcneal
2006-01-09, 23:25
monthly fee to help you remember the daily tasks in life? What's the world coming to.

Invader J
2006-01-10, 08:11
Oh, heh - might just be for the beta period, but the software is free - it's the wireless syncing that is $10/month.

Installed the software just now, and it's alright... doesn't adhere to the 770's Maemo distro though. For instance, adding a contact opens a new window, but clicking on the standard close X closes the ENTIRE app - there's a separate coded close box button in the app, on the lower toolbar. Weak!

Crisis
2006-01-10, 15:38
Is there any way to get it to wake up the device without the program running to remind you of something?

That's the one "killer app" I miss from my Palm based device, I use it a lot to set reminders for certain things.

Mike Cane
2006-01-10, 16:30
@ desktop:

I set a Reminder for yesterday. But I can't remember if I had the device in Suspend or Off when it was supposed to go off. Will try another test today -- when I know I have the 770 in Suspend (or even On!).