PDA

View Full Version : Copy and Paste in Xterm? (aka middle button emulation)

cvmiller
2007-09-19, 19:29
Is there a way to do a middle button paste in osso-xterm (something that is standard in X)?

There are no keyboard shortcuts for copy and past in osso-xterm, so copying long paths take a bit of tapping.

What I would like to do is select the long path, and then middle click (to paste).

TIA,

Craig...

geneven
2007-09-19, 20:23
You mean besides picking Edit annd paste from the menu? Or maybe you could try Ctrl-V.

No there is not a simulated three-button mouse.

Copying is done with a very quick double tap where you want the copy to begin, then as you move you will see the marked area change, and after you have marked the area, select Edit from the menu nd copy it.

cvmiller
2007-09-20, 13:14
You mean besides picking Edit annd paste from the menu? Or maybe you could try Ctrl-V.

No there is not a simulated three-button mouse.

Copying is done with a very quick double tap where you want the copy to begin, then as you move you will see the marked area change, and after you have marked the area, select Edit from the menu nd copy it.

Thanks,

Yes, what I was looking for was button emulation in Maemo. I use a linux desktop at work, and the middle button paste has become very convenient.

I have tried using the menu to copy, and then ^V to paste, no work. It would appear that there are no keyboard shortcuts for copy and paste in osso-xterm :(

Craig...

johsua
2007-09-20, 14:13
I believe in the linux world - or Bash/Ash world at least - it's the emacs cntrl-y. I don't have my N800 handy otherwise I'd verify...

cvmiller
2007-09-20, 14:47
I believe in the linux world - or Bash/Ash world at least - it's the emacs cntrl-y. I don't have my N800 handy otherwise I'd verify...

Hmm, I am not familar with ^Y in bash (on the linux desktop), so I tried it, and it isn't doing anything for me. Also thought I would try the rest of the control chars in osso-xterm, nothing seems to paste.

Good thinking, though.

Craig...

TA-t3
2007-09-20, 15:06
^y ("yank") is one of the emacs controls normally supported by shells (including bash). Works fine on the desktop (e.g. write some text, move a bit left and ^k ("kill") it, then move around (or not) and ^y it back. It's still available for more yanking at the next line). Doesn't work with the N800 shell (ash), but it would possibly work if you install bash and switch to it first thing in osso-xterm.

cvmiller
2007-09-20, 17:54
^y ("yank") is one of the emacs controls normally supported by shells (including bash). Works fine on the desktop (e.g. write some text, move a bit left and ^k ("kill") it, then move around (or not) and ^y it back. It's still available for more yanking at the next line). Doesn't work with the N800 shell (ash), but it would possibly work if you install bash and switch to it first thing in osso-xterm.

I would like to install bash on the N800. Any idea where to find a .deb for bash?

I have also raised a bug/enhancement requesting keyboard shortcuts for osso-xterm (see bug 2032 https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2032

Thanks,

Craig...