PDA

View Full Version : N800/iPod touch comparison posted - Huge.

thoughtfix
2007-09-19, 20:33
It's a huge article. I was up til 6 AM working on it. I finally told the last video to render and went to bed. This morning I uploaded the last video, copy-edited the article, and finally posted it. (http://tabletblog.com/2007/09/ipod-touch-vs-nokia-n800-filling-other.html)

I think I answered everyone's questions in there at one point or another.

Can I have a nap now please?

Dman
2007-09-19, 21:18
Wow nice. Thanks.

Jejoma
2007-09-19, 21:20
Very nice article. Thankyou, you deserve your sleep!

thoughtfix
2007-09-19, 21:42
Thank you :)
Yes - I wussed out in the end...

dan67sf
2007-09-19, 21:48
A very nicely done non-biased side by side comparison of these 2 devices. I appreciate the effort you put into doing this.

Thanks Again
Dan

heavyt
2007-09-19, 21:49
Very informative article. It also seem you took great strives to remain non-bias. Damn Good article.

thoughtfix
2007-09-19, 22:06
Looks like one person was nice enough to digg it (http://digg.com/gadgets/iPod_touch_vs_Nokia_N800_Filling_the_Other_Pocket)

Rebski
2007-09-19, 22:35
Great work. I have been waiting on this. Two friends were about to buy N800’s after seeing mine but I suggested that they compare with the iPod Touch before committing themselves.

I have just mailed them your review and I have no doubt that Apple will get their money. All the argument elsewhere on the forum that the iPod Touch will not affect N800 market share is pure baloney.

The only caveat concerns the iPod screen aberration and I am sure that Apple will sort this out double quick.

ps good to see another Sisters of Mercy fan. As an homage to the band, maybe you should consider revamping your video blog to ‘Coffee and Dry Ice with thoughtfix’? Could be fun.

thoughtfix
2007-09-19, 22:41
Aaaahahaha. Few people would recognize the Sisters album art there. Glad someone did.

Again - The iPod touch will never replace my N800 simply because it doesn't allow me to get online without a hotspot - but I JUST LOVE the media features - especially with a rich desktop client to organize them.

timothyd4y
2007-09-19, 22:44
Thoughtfix,
Terrific write up of both devices. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. For me, the n800 is the only choice. It's tweakability and linux-ness are very important. A lot of us are the types who like to tinker, and the n800 is a geeks dream for that. The ipod touch, like many apple products will work perfecly, but what's the fun in that?
Thanks again, keep up the great work.
-timothyd4y

Noneus
2007-09-19, 22:46
Nice review. I guess the Ipod Touch is nice to use. But I would get bored with it after 2 weeks I guess. I just can't play with it like with the N800. (I don't mean playing games. :) )

flareup
2007-09-19, 23:31
great stuff man, very interesting and informative, and much appreciated!

the conclusion I draw from it is quite clear - that the 800 knocks spots off it in every way, bar the one almost everyone on here has spoken of since the release of the 770 - it's the software, stupid.

Apple have done a great job on a sexy, out-of-the-box functionality that makes their (lower res, lower spec) device outshine the second gen NIT.

The fact that I have to use mplayer, with its basic front-end that looks like something from 1994, to play virtually any vid on that lovely 800 quality really sums the whole thing up.

thoughtfix
2007-09-20, 00:34
flareup: You have a valid point and one I wanted to make apparent - The Nokia Internet Tablet has the hardware to outshine the iPod touch but requires better integration of video CODECs and a desktop client.

To be fair, you can't just download any video and play it on the iPod. You have to download it on your PC, import it into iTunes, prepare it for iPod playback, then sync it. Even so, iTunes makes it pretty easy to do so - especially compared to the N800.