maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   big news regarding Fremantle MCE (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91606)

pichlo 2015-04-18 11:25

Re: big news regarding Fremantle MCE

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1467599)
...day before tomorrow...

That sounds like the guy who was drowning and shouting for help but could not remember the word drowning so he shouted, "Help, last time swim!"

joerg_rw 2015-04-18 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1467599)
a weird problem here starting day before tomorrow i used fcam extensively at a party and i realised blink on capture not working as i enabled it then also when i slid the keyboard to rename a few files the backlight was gone i rebooted no effect later on when i put it to wall charger charging led didnt glow i fear doom started to dig with some commands it didnt lit used led pattern editor it did not worked but now at least it blinked for a milisec faintly
then i thought of plugging it without battrey to my surprise it blinked yellow i put in battrey with charger connected and everything fine now the same problem again and i repet the procedure everything ok again
what the hell is going on ?
stock mce
cssu thumb
kp 53
all repos on

fcam is known to have a nasty bug of writing to LP5523 indicator/kbd-backlight controller chip directly via I2C and causing massive messup at times to the chips. AFAIK this never got fixed and only can recover from it by removing battery and unplugging charger for several minutes until LP5523 and possibly other chips on same I2C bus too finally reset to a sane state

BR
jOERG

nokiabot 2015-04-18 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw (Post 1467618)
fcam is known to have a nasty bug of writing to LP5523 indicator/kbd-backlight controller chip directly via I2C and causing massive messup at times to the chips. AFAIK this never got fixed and only can recover from it by removing battery and unplugging charger for several minutes until LP5523 and possibly other chips on same I2C bus too finally reset to a sane state

BR
jOERG

that sounds scary
does it do hardware damage ?
if i dont enable the blink led feature would it be safe ? considering fcam is the one i use normally though it dosent do flash and i have taught myself weird workarounds for that

joerg_rw 2015-04-18 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1467626)
that sounds scary
does it do hardware damage ?

Not entirely impossible but pretty unlikely. I can't tell for sure since I never looked into fcam to investigate what exactly it does. In theory bogus noise on I2C bus *can* do hw damage.
Quote:

`man ic2detect`
WARNING
This program can confuse your I2C bus, cause data loss and worse!
for some chips "data loss" == damage. Also there's a known hw bug in N900 LP5523 circuitry that could result in CPU damage when enabling an illegal config of the chips, however unlikely it may be to do this by accident with noise on I2C.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1467626)
if i dont enable the blink led feature would it be safe ? considering fcam is the one i use normally though it dosent do flash and i have taught myself weird workarounds for that

IIRC disabling that indicator light (lower left besides the LCD display) blinking feature in fcam should fix the issue. Sorry again I can't tell for sure but it sounds plausible.

HTH
/j

nokiabot 2015-04-18 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw (Post 1467629)
Not entirely impossible but pretty unlikely. I can't tell for sure since I never looked into fcam to investigate what exactly it does. In theory bogus noise on I2C bus *can* do hw damage.
for some chips "data loss" == damage. Also there's a known hw bug in N900 LP5523 circuitry that could result in CPU damage when enabling an illegal config of the chips, however unlikely it may be to do this by accident with noise on I2C.

IIRC disabling that indicator light (lower left besides the LCD display) blinking feature in fcam should fix the issue. Sorry again I can't tell for sure but it sounds plausible.

HTH
/j

well i rather continue using fcam on bedside n900 then donn know what to use on my mains now as stock cam is nowhere near nor any other camera progs are fast and fluid like fcam :(
my workaround for flash was enable it before hand i.e use live focus or flashlite applet then take pictures and more recently launching lanterne in background as it has a nifty feature to use camera button full press to activate flash and amazingly the button works for both i.e i just hold the camera button for a sec and it takes picture and also lights up the flash ! though its low power flash
how pausible is this as a workaround to use flash on fcam

shawnjefferson 2015-04-19 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1467598)
oh wow ! but how ?

Somewhere in this thread are the binaries I'm running, and instructions on where to copy them. Keep in mind the copy and paste issue that some people had while copying the INI file stuff though (also in this thread).

I was thinking of attempting to do a merge request to the official MCE version, but FMGs comment that anything that changes the default behavior of the device is unlikely to be approved (and this does, it removes the keyboard fade out and just turns it off instead) sort of put me off from trying to figure out the process (I'm not a developer by trade so don't do much with git/svn at that level.)

joerg_rw 2015-04-19 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnjefferson (Post 1467784)
I was thinking of attempting to do a merge request to the official MCE version, but FMGs comment that anything that changes the default behavior of the device is unlikely to be approved (and this does, it removes the keyboard fade out and just turns it off instead) sort of put me off from trying to figure out the process

That's a pity, particularly since I guess that's an easy to fix issue. Simply implement a
Code:

for (( i=0; i<100; i++ )); do set-kbd-brigthness $i; sleep 0.01; done
(and I=100; i>=0; i--; for fade out.)
I'm pretty interested in this finally going CSSU-testing since I think it fixes some flaws in original MCE