maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Buy & Sell (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Laser-Cut Stand for N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43593)

geohsia 2010-02-17 04:54

Re: Laser-Cut Stand for N900

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 531378)
They both fit pretty tightly, which is going to make things tough for you.

As for the wood stand, It would have been easier to take them apart if they were still bare wood. The paint and the non-slip coating on the wood stand both conspire to seal the two halves together. If you push them together/pop them apart a few times, it should get easier each time.

The same goes for the acrylic. The important thing with the acrylic stand is to take it apart without applying pressure to the thin parts on the far sides of the back brace -- try to pull it apart straight up and down, because if the side piece flexes hard against the sides of the back brace, they will snap. But again, with every removal/insertion cycle, they will become easier and easier to take apart.

My opinion is that a bare wood or acrylic stand is the best option for travel. Both can be "broken in" so that they come apart easily. It reduces their overall stability, but does make for something very portable.

I figured out how to support the pieces as they push them apart. Once it starts moving they actually come apart pretty easily. The paint comes off on my sweaty hands though but no biggie. Now when I'm on those long flights I'll have the acrylic stand to hold up my phone while I watch movies / play games. Thanks!

j.s 2010-02-17 05:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 531378)
They both fit pretty tightly, which is going to make things tough for you.

Any hints on getting the wood stand completely together?

The acrylic was reasonably easy, but I can't get the wood one to slide the full distance.

speednut 2010-02-17 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 529657)
I've thought about it, but I'm not sure. What I imagine doing is finding a stand for some other phone that people are happy with, and then making a new top/holder piece for it.

Anyone have suggestions for such a base?

Fake, check out ProClip as they have mounting options for most car model types, but need your magic for the N900 mount bit. :D

fake 2010-02-17 05:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.s (Post 531442)
Any hints on getting the wood stand completely together?

The acrylic was reasonably easy, but I can't get the wood one to slide the full distance.

Yeah, I've been doing some testing/fitting of about a dozen wood and a dozen acrylic stands tonight due to one person getting a bad one (looks like I sent him a prototype part by mistake). It's really important to me that they are perfect.

The wood ones are definitely tough to get together. I've taken a few different approaches. The biggest thing is just to use more force. They will be very tight fitting. It may be helpful to press the brace bar against the sharp edge of a table, or even to use other parts from your stand to get things done.

I am really tired and about to go to bed, but I made a quick video. It just shows me assembling a wooden stand so you can see what I do and how much force I use. That video will be uploaded in 20 minutes from the time of this posting (right click/save as):

http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/wood_stand.MOV

fake 2010-02-17 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by speednut (Post 531467)
Fake, check out ProClip as they have mounting options for most car model types, but need your magic for the N900 mount bit. :D

Wow, that's almost perfect. I'll order one and see what can be done.

fake 2010-02-17 05:31

For people who purchased acrylic stands, I have made a second video showing what you should expect from your stand in terms of tightness, tolerances, and assembly.

http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/acrylic_stand.MOV

It will be finished uploading about 30 minutes from the time of this post.

Again, the wood stand video is:
http://danreetz.com/for_maemo/wood_stand.MOV

Tomorrow, I'll convert these into Youtube videos.

fake 2010-02-17 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by speednut (Post 531467)

Huh, looks like they already have an N900 holder!

Here's a link to an image of the holder.

spawwn 2010-02-17 07:50

I've ordered tree of these cuties... and I haven't even got the phone yet! Only 144 SEK. Now that's a good deal!

ZootHornRollo 2010-02-17 11:26

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Happy customer ;)

got my stands today. Was a bit concerned about fit at first but used the 'more force' method to get all parts to sit in the right places.

fake 2010-02-17 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo (Post 531897)
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Happy customer ;)

got my stands today. Was a bit concerned about fit at first but used the 'more force' method to get all parts to sit in the right places.

w00t! Thanks for confirmation that the "MORE FORCE!" method is what's needed. And thanks for your purchase.

Aztekker 2010-02-17 13:44

I just received my two acrylic stands. Very nice!!!

Oh, and my Nokia 5800 XM fits perfectly, too! :)

----- Aztekker

vinverth 2010-02-17 13:49

Got my stands today.sure does require some effort to put it the way it should be..but once there..they dont seem to get off..lol..and they sure are sturdy to give me a long run..and the no slip coating is quite a boon..i must add..works like a charm

Phonix 2010-02-17 13:53

Got my wooden stand today aswell, will also confirm that the "MORE FORCE" method is needed, this is a solid product, it even survives cats, well alteast for now.

Happy Customer!

ROne21 2010-02-17 14:33

Why would someone let a parrot claw an N900? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by skalogre (Post 525408)
So I received my two wooden stands today. Packed well enough that I had a devil of a time getting them out of the envelope and the wrapping :p . Now, I know others have been wondering this so I have proof that it works with the eBay rubberised hard cases. Behold:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7932/img1779y.th.jpg

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1481/img1788.th.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2507/img1787m.th.jpg

Not only that, but the stands are stable enough to allow my assistant to stand ON the N900 with the slider open (depends on the size of the psittacine employed - I would not try this with an Amazon or Macaw :D ). I wanted him to hold the stylus for his photograph but for some reason he just wouldn't.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3028/img1781.th.jpg

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6494/img1784t.th.jpg

Thank you, Fake. These are quite excellent and very fairly priced.

Palleman 2010-02-17 14:52

My stands arrived today. I guess that means Fake is not in Rio?

I used the MORE FORCE method on one of my acrylics, and it broke. It's fine by me, I'm never going to disassemble it again, so I just glued it together.

One of my wooden ones had two camera adapted sides. It's also fine by me, but I guess that the guy getting both my non-adapted sides might disagree.

Other than that: Fits perfectly both with keybord in and out. I bought an N810 the other day, to have as music player / shopping list manager in the kitchen, and they look so pretty standing next to each other!

ROne21 2010-02-17 14:52

I placed an order for one wood and one acrylic on Feb 10. When can I expect to receive them? I'm in Chicago. Thanks.

fake 2010-02-17 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 532263)
My stands arrived today. I guess that means Fake is not in Rio?

I used the MORE FORCE method on one of my acrylics, and it broke. It's fine by me, I'm never going to disassemble it again, so I just glued it together.

One of my wooden ones had two camera adapted sides. It's also fine by me, but I guess that the guy getting both my non-adapted sides might disagree.

Other than that: Fits perfectly both with keybord in and out. I bought an N810 the other day, to have as music player / shopping list manager in the kitchen, and they look so pretty standing next to each other!

That's not OK with me. You'll get a new acrylic back brace and a proper non-camera-cut side for your other stand in the mail this morning. Sorry about the SNAFU.

fake 2010-02-17 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROne21 (Post 532264)
I placed an order for one wood and one acrylic on Feb 10. When can I expect to receive them? I'm in Chicago. Thanks.

They should already be there. Give it one more day, then PM me and I'll see what I can do about tracking your order down.

Palleman 2010-02-17 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 532323)
That's not OK with me. You'll get a new acrylic back brace and a proper non-camera-cut side for your other stand in the mail this morning. Sorry about the SNAFU.

Hey, no need! Camera-cut sides works on both sides without any problems at all. In fact, if I were you I would make all sides camera-cut. It will make it easier for everybody, including all the people that inevitably will put the camera-cut side in the wrong place. And my glue is a good glue, so if my acrylic ever breaks again, it won't be in the same crack.

Use that shipping money to send a camera-cut side to the guy that got two non-camera-cut sides instead.

fake 2010-02-17 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 532354)
Hey, no need! Camera-cut sides works on both sides without any problems at all. In fact, if I were you I would make all sides camera-cut. It will make it easier for everybody, including all the people that inevitably will put the camera-cut side in the wrong place. And my glue is a good glue, so if my acrylic ever breaks again, it won't be in the same crack.

Use that shipping money to send a camera-cut side to the guy that got two non-camera-cut sides instead.

Thanks. Just let me know if you change your mind.

ewan 2010-02-17 17:01

I just want to add to the general acclamation of awesomeness in this thread by saying that I ordered a mixed home/office set last night, and at about the same time ordered something from Amazon. I've just had the dispatch mail for the stands - congratulations; you're more efficient than Amazon :-)

spooley 2010-02-17 22:38

Confirmation of another 2 x wooden set received in UK ... well packed, went together well (with a bit of pressure bearing down against a hard desktop surface) and the stands hold the N900 really well.

Thanks again for this terrific initiative, Daniel / fake ... I'm tempted to order an acrylic stand too now, for completeness. It'll look good on my pine bedside table!

Cheers, Simon,

fake 2010-02-17 23:38

Thanks, guys. Interesting to see that shipping to the UK seems to take about 9 days, sometimes less. That seems to hold for most orders in central Europe...

skalogre 2010-02-17 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROne21 (Post 532230)
Why would someone let a parrot claw an N900? :confused:

Uhm, because it is entertaining and showcases the stability of the stands? :p

But funny you should mention that; he actually tapped the reply button with his toe as you see in the photo. As it is a resistive screen, which means that beaks and claws work, he has tried tapping things on it screen before. I should show him how to open things on the N900, it should be entertaining.

P.s. between the rubberised case and the screen protector, my N900 is relatively psittacine-resistant ;)

fake 2010-02-17 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by skalogre (Post 533312)
Uhm, because it is entertaining and showcases the stability of the stands? :p

I thought it was not only totally hilarious, it was also something I would never have expected to see. Sometime, I might like to feature one of those images in my store... perhaps in exchange for something. :D

skalogre 2010-02-17 23:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 533317)
I thought it was not only totally hilarious, it was also something I would never have expected to see. Sometime, I might like to feature one of those images in my store... perhaps in exchange for something. :D

You should see what it is like when he is standing on the laptop trying to bite off the cursor as I move it around or trying to eat icons :p

moparman 2010-02-18 13:11

Got my acrylic stand today...Superfast delivery to sweden and very good quality...

1000 thx from Moparman :-)

fake 2010-02-18 15:21

Awesome !

NOTICE: There will be a 2-day delay in shipping orders with wood stands. on orders placed today or later.

If you order today, they will ship Friday or Saturday. The reason for this is that on my latest batch, the non-slip coating is taking unusually long to cure. If I pack them as-is, the coating will bond to the packing materials.

All orders placed up to 1 hour before this posting HAVE SHIPPED. W00t!.

FormerPalmUser 2010-02-18 18:16

1 Attachment(s)
hi Fake,

today I received both stands in Germany. They are great!
But when I assembled the acrylic one a small part of the middle part was broken (please see picture).
Could you provide me a replacement maybe, if I buy a third one? Otherwise I couldn't use it :((

Now I directly order a third one and let's have a look inside the letter :)?

Thanks
Dirk

fake 2010-02-18 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by FormerPalmUser (Post 534932)
hi Fake,

today I received both stands in Germany. They are great!
But when I assembled the acrylic one a small part of the middle part was broken (please see picture).
Could you provide me a replacement maybe, if I buy a third one? Otherwise I couldn't use it :((

Now I directly order a third one and let's have a look inside the letter :)?

Thanks
Dirk

Dirk, I will send you another back brace without an additional order.

If you decide you want to cancel the order you made today of 1 wood stand, just let me know. I will mail you a new back brace first thing tomorrow morning either way.

FormerPalmUser 2010-02-18 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 535096)
Dirk, I will send you another back brace without an additional order.

If you decide you want to cancel the order you made today of 1 wood stand, just let me know. I will mail you a new back brace first thing tomorrow morning either way.

Hi Fake,

thanks for your offer. I wouldn't cancel! A third stand is useful too ...

Palleman 2010-02-19 00:01

That's the exact same place where I broke mine. I fixed it with just a tiny bit transparent glue, making the crack almost invisible and the stand even stronger (but impossible to disassemble).

torsen 2010-02-19 00:08

Got mine, thanks very much :-)

fake 2010-02-19 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palleman (Post 535642)
That's the exact same place where I broke mine. I fixed it with just a tiny bit transparent glue, making the crack almost invisible and the stand even stronger (but impossible to disassemble).

Did you have the sense that the fit was just too tight, or was it that, plus applying a little too much force away from the center of the brace?

Tolerances do vary by a few thousandths of an inch on these things due to focus issues with the laser. To keep the acrylic ones tight I have to err on the side of tighter tolerances... if it's a recurring problem I may have to re-think that. In the meantime, I'm happy to help people having problems with initial assembly.

Palleman 2010-02-19 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by fake (Post 535671)
Did you have the sense that the fit was just too tight, or was it that, plus applying a little too much force away from the center of the brace?

The latter.

/P

Sp1ke 2010-02-19 01:12

Just ordered mine today. Great design concept. Can't wait to receive them.

Great job on making these Fake, much appreciated.:D

tomchiverton 2010-02-19 05:04

Got my two (one of each) today. Both *awesome*.

If you are not sure if you want one or not, get one :-)

moerderameise 2010-02-19 10:24

Hi Fake,

mine received today in switzerland. Thank you very much! They look great and will get a fix place on my desk ;)
btw they are really "hard" to assemble... I was affraid of braking them, but everything went good and now I'm happy. Thanks a lot again!

regards,
moerderameise

venkat_i22 2010-02-19 12:27

hi Fake

is it possible for you ship these acrylic safely to India i would like to get 2 of them.

fake 2010-02-19 13:16

Venkat,
I ship to anywhere in the world, and shipping is included in the price. Please see the store at

http://www.usethelaser.myshopify.com

Thanks for all the reports, everyone. It's good to know how long things take to mail, and it's even better to know you're happy with your stands!