maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] modRana: a flexible GPS navigation system (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58861)

zombiepig 2010-08-10 04:45

Re: [Announce] modRana: a flexible GPS navigation system

Where does modrana source it's poi's from? Is it from an online source, or is there a way of loading them offline? I can never see any poi's in my area.

Reeby 2010-08-10 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 781095)
About black screen: I haven't seen it; it might be caused by permissions problem; could you post a screenshot?

Cheers,
I do get to the first stage - enabling the tracklog. Then it displays on the map. But when I want to change the color - black screen (nothing really to make a screenshot of - just a black area where the map is supposed to be) I guess, had it been permission I wouldn't have gotten to the track initiation at all, would I?
But anyway, could you give me a full cmd wording to get permission?

Wikiwide 2010-08-10 05:45

Quick reply.
Turned logging on, returned to the map. OK.
Went to logging, change colour->green, and it showed map, not black screen.

>a full cmd wording to get permission?
chmod 0777 /opt/modrana

If permission is denied, gain root first, and then try again.
Like:
sudo gainroot
chmod 0777 /opt/modrana

Try running ./modrana.py from directory /opt/modrana/ in X Terminal. The application should write down the errors into X Terminal.

MartinK 2010-08-11 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by extendedping (Post 781098)
thanks for the app. I had never used a gps before in my life (pretty sad, I'm 44) and modrana got my wife and I out of a lost situation over the weekend.

Nice to know that modRana is being useful. :)

Quote:

any time frame for talking directions?

This + POI rework are what I currently plan to do next. So it should be available quite soon. :)

Quote:

I see it defaulted to something called mapnik and OSM in my .modrana_tiles folder and they take up 50 and 42 mb respectivly. should I be downloading other stuff or is this good, what I have.
:)

These layers are provided by the OpenStreatMap project and are IMO quite usable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiepig (Post 781099)
Where does modrana source it's poi's from? Is it from an online source, or is there a way of loading them offline? I can never see any poi's in my area.

ModRana currently uses Google Locate as a POI source, and more POI (and routing) providers are planned.
You can test this by typing something like this to the search field in Google Maps:
Code:

pizza near 60.205556, 24.655556
This searches for pizza near Nokia headquarters. :) The POI search in modRana works like this, you select the a keyword by pressing one of the buttons + current coordinates are used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeby (Post 781124)
Cheers,
I do get to the first stage - enabling the tracklog. Then it displays on the map. But when I want to change the color - black screen

Do you mean displaying a saved tracklog or enabling track logging ?
(I found a bug causing a empty/black screen in the track logging menu, will be fixed in the next build)

Reeby 2010-08-11 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 782977)
Do you mean displaying a saved tracklog or enabling track logging ?
(I found a bug causing a empty/black screen in the track logging menu, will be fixed in the next build)

I do manage to start a track. It displays on the screen but every time I go back to the track menu I get a black screen.
Wikiwide suggested it was permission prob....haven't tried it thou((

MartinK 2010-08-12 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeby (Post 783016)
I do manage to start a track. It displays on the screen but every time I go back to the track menu I get a black screen.
Wikiwide suggested it was permission prob....haven't tried it thou((

I've just send V0.13-2 to the autobuilder, the package should be in the repositories shortly and should fix the black screen after entering log menu (if it is caused by the same issue I fixed).

Also, it is now possible to set where to search for POI -> near view/near current position and more options (near an address/tracklog start/end, etc.) are planned. :)

extendedping 2010-08-12 01:07

thank you for the simple answers. once voice navigation is in place this app will be right up with easy debian as the top 2 reasons I am keeping the device.

Reeby 2010-08-12 04:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 783660)
I've just send V0.13-2 to the autobuilder, the package should be in the repositories shortly and should fix the black screen after entering log menu (if it is caused by the same issue I fixed).

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 783660)
Also, it is now possible to set where to search for POI -> near view/near current position and more options (near an address/tracklog start/end, etc.) are planned. :)

That'd be cool! Also (sorry, haven't been checking the tickets lately) I've noticed that of all GPS aps I have on my device the only one that allows me to easily save my current position as a POI is.....Sygic. I mean - just one click and you're at the input menu to enter, say a "Treasure chest location" ))) But seriously - just one-click action to pinpoint your position would be nice, wouldn't it?

zombiepig 2010-08-12 06:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 782977)
ModRana currently uses Google Locate as a POI source, and more POI (and routing) providers are planned.
You can test this by typing something like this to the search field in Google Maps:
Code:

pizza near 60.205556, 24.655556
This searches for pizza near Nokia headquarters. :) The POI search in modRana works like this, you select the a keyword by pressing one of the buttons + current coordinates are used.

Searching in google maps for "pizza near -37.83582, 144.88190" works, but I don't get these results in modrana. Is there a debug mode I can enable to get a log or something?

extendedping 2010-08-12 19:29

search for beer instead.