maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Presence VNC (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59570)

kent_autistic 2010-11-24 18:29

Re: [Announce] Presence VNC

i installed presence vnc in the hopes that i will be able eo access my pc at our office from home. i tested this on my laptop and connected via wifi (while at home) and it ran smoothly. but when connecting to my pc at office while im at home it didnt connect then i realized ihave to connect to our office vpn. so i installed vpnc and stated to connect to our vpn server then it said that it is now connected. but when i am finally connecting using presence vnc, it wont connect at all, it asks for a password then says connection lost. im pretty sure i got the password right. i tried connecting presence vnc while im at the office and it worked. am i doing something wrong?

advise please! thanks!

chemist 2010-11-25 10:08

Here it doesn't even ask for the password... Server is a tightVNC...trying to connect from within the same network (subnet), before reading the previous post I just thought that the password handling is not implemented yet. Now I think this is a proper bug (at work and got no further time to file one).

kaos_king 2010-11-25 10:12

Hey guys, i think im missing something here.

I cant seem to get it to connect to my ubuntu 10.10 over lan nevermind wan.

Ive gone to System > Preferences > Remote Desktop and changed the settings there. It advises me that its only reachable over lan (i assume as ive not changed my router, but lan is all im after anyway). It says that my machine can be reached using 192.168.1.147.

Now from my n900 i can ping that IP, but when i type it into presence vnc it cant connect.

I've also got tightvncserver and vnc4server installed if i can use either of those to get the job done?

Any help on this would be massively appreciated. Got headache now as im sure its not a hard thing to do but i must be missing something. Cheers guys.

cpulvermacher 2010-11-25 11:33

Starting presencevnc from X Terminal will give you some more info about what's going wrong.

@kaos_king:
Ubuntu's remote desktop feature should work with Presence VNC (or at least it works here).

kaos_king 2010-11-25 11:40

Cheers cpulvermacher.

I ran it from xterm and its just saying "unable to connect to vnc server". I can vnc from the client to host on the same machine using 192.168.1.147 :1 but presence vnc just doesnt like that.

Can you tell me what you would type in to connect to if your ip was that above? Thanks

cpulvermacher 2010-11-25 11:56

@kaos_king:
I just entered the IP, though if it's really running on display 1, adding :1 should work in presence vnc..
I'd try different displays (i.e. :0 to :3) and the "Configure network automatically" (though I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to do)

chemist 2010-11-25 12:13

That is really bad practice. IP:Port is normal and not IP:Display.
I don't know about ubuntu's remote desktop but how about ssh port forwarding anyway? vnc traffic is not encrypted so a back-bound port via SSH is a good idea at least for WAN connections. Are you able to connect to localhost at your desktop? Or with another client from LAN?

cpulvermacher 2010-11-25 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemist (Post 882897)

IP:display with port = 5900+display seems to be the common notation with VNC clients/servers. You can also use IP:port as long as port is 100 or greater.

Rob1n 2010-11-25 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemist (Post 882897)

Depends what you're comparing to. For the X windowing system, IP:Display has been standard for many years to indicate a remote display.

Crashdamage 2010-11-25 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpulvermacher (Post 882886)
@kaos_king:
I just entered the IP, though if it's really running on display 1, adding :1 should work in presence vnc.

If specifying a display number as in:
192.168.1.147:1
doesn't work, try using the port number as in:
192.168.1.147:5900 (or 5935, 5950, whatever port you use)
I always use port numbers to connect and whether using WAN or LAN have never had a problem if I configured routing and VNC properly.

If you use a non-standard port (recommended) just be sure the routing is right and you setup VNC server to listen on that port rather than 5900.