maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ask the Council! History thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41451)

SD69 2011-08-14 15:30

Re: Ask the Council!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 1068160)
Before we start proposing things blindly it would be useful to know what we are talking about. Could we ask Nemein to provide a breakdown of resources utilised per service (current as well as trends), ideally also broken down by platform? I mean things like what is the peak bandwidth requirements of repository.maemo.org, how much filesystem space it uses, how many CPU cycles the autobuilders eat and so on.

Sure, but the proposals will be at a higher, structural, level than your question suggests - should maemo.org organize itself or should it die? Also, so much is in flux at the moment that these things will be different some time from now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lma (Post 1068160)
Also, we really need to get a clear answer on how long the Nokia repositories will stay alive and what happens after that (eg can we have a licence to mirror them elsewhere?), because without that content we're dead and there's no point discussing anything else.

Agreed, but before we can get a license, we need to exist as some sort of legal entity. Personally, I think that Nokia would be relieved for this to happen so that it is not ever in the uncomfortable position of cutting off the repos.

Jaffa 2011-08-14 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1069667)
i just realized that Harmattan support is de facto here on TMO

I see far more activity related to Harmattan on forum.meego.com in the Handset forum than here on TMO. But that could just be because of the volume of the rest of the forum.

Quote:

the download section for handsets (on meego.com) seems pretty outdated (and not providing any repositories?); where will those be hosted, when N9s go on sales?
apps.formeego.org. It was going to be apps.meego.com, but now that's not happening. Same people. Same software. New name.

gerbick 2011-08-14 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaffa (Post 1069819)
I see far more activity related to Harmattan on forum.meego.com in the Handset forum than here on TMO. But that could just be because of the volume of the rest of the forum.

I still don't know what to post there. Initially, it was to be what TMO was for Maemo.

But then the guys from there, namely Quim came down and stated that forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?

misterc 2011-08-14 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1069855)
I still don't know what to post there. Initially, it was to be what TMO was for Maemo.

But then the guys from there, namely Quim came down and stated that forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?

did U try to run MeeGo on a N900?
1.2 CE certainly got a nice look & feel (much better then 1.1) but it still seems very skippy, to say the least :o
(no offence to the developers)

well, as i lost my NITDroid multiboot menu, i may actually try to install 1.2 CE again & see if / how it works when i remove encryption from my wi-fi
realized that meanwhile i don't use wi-fi for anything but the N900s & i can use the primary on 2G/3G :D :cool:

stay tuned for a dumb user's opinion ;) :eek:

EDIT: oooups, maybe on a different thread :p :confused:

Jaffa 2011-08-14 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1069855)
forum.meego.com was for developers mostly. So that limits conversation.

Has that changed?

Difficult to say. Certainly random speculation and off-topicness isn't as prevalent as it is/was/ever has been on TMO. But it's definitely picked up since people started getting N950s and MeeGo Harmattan was announced.

Estel 2011-08-15 02:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1069739)
Sure, but the proposals will be at a higher, structural, level than your question suggests - should maemo.org organize itself or should it die? Also, so much is in flux at the moment that these things will be different some time from now.

In mood for rhetorical questions, eh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1069739)
Agreed, but before we can get a license, we need to exist as some sort of legal entity. Personally, I think that Nokia would be relieved for this to happen so that it is not ever in the uncomfortable position of cutting off the repos.

OK, but anyone from the Council asked about that *directly*? If not, can (and if yes, when) someone ask about it?

I generally understand your point, but it would be much better to *know* things, that *assuming* what Nokia may do if we do what we may do if...

Texrat 2011-08-15 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1069337)
are you saying that combating noise with noise is a grown up behaviour?

No. But I am saying you consistently jump to bizarre conclusions about my posts.

jedi 2011-08-15 07:43

Bump.

Please can I have an answer, or at least some feedback. The silence is deafening.

This is a serious question. If I'm being out of line asking it, please tell me. If this is the wrong place, please tell me. etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi (Post 1067305)
I'd like to ask a question to the council:

Why is Epitaph being allowed to promote his 'app' here on TMO, considering that he's clearly breaking the terms of the GPL?

Just one example (of many): Contained in the 'app' is the Bash binary. The GPL states that if you are going to redistribute GPL code, you must make the source of your app available.

He was hosting the app on Sourceforge, but it was removed from there - possibly due to me reporting it.

He has repeatedly refused to make the source available.

I'd like to know why maemo.org allows his thread and his signature here? By not taking any action, they appear to be condoning it.

I'm personally interested in this as it seems to go against FOSS principles, and as someone who has contributed time and effort to the open-souce world it makes me angry he gets away with it.

Thanks for listening.

misterc 2011-08-15 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070020)
No. But I am saying you consistently jump to bizarre conclusions about my posts.

i'm not jumping to conclusions, i'm asking for clarification.
the whole post is made up of one question, isn't it?

maybe a diff too with the war mongers?
they would have jumped on your posted & started proclaiming that you actually said that bla bla bla was a grown up behaviour.

hope you can appreciate the difference...

Helmuth 2011-08-15 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi (Post 1070081)
Please can I have an answer, or at least some feedback. The silence is deafening.

At least the big announcement thread was closed by texrat. Thanks! But what about removing the link (with a warning) from the first post and merge the whole thing with this two similar advertising threads: Number 2, Number 3

Edit: Mh, and in my opinion his signature is still dangerous.

abill_uk 2011-08-15 12:53

Quote:

Bump.

This is a serious question. If I'm being out of line asking it, please tell me. If this is the wrong place, please tell me. etc.

Why is it you talk to them very respectfully and more than one time too i might add and you STILL GET NO ANSWER !.

What is with this almighty gracious council that cannot answer a valid question but can answer a stupid one about the noise on TMO?. :confused:

SD69 2011-08-15 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1070018)
In mood for rhetorical questions, eh?

Actually, that's not a rhetorical question, although it is a direct one. There are prominent members of the community who see maemo.org as obsolete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1070018)
OK, but anyone from the Council asked about that *directly*? If not, can (and if yes, when) someone ask about it?

I generally understand your point, but it would be much better to *know* things, that *assuming* what Nokia may do if we do what we may do if...

I don't recall, but I doubt it. The meetings logs are available.

abill_uk 2011-08-15 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1070232)
Actually, that's not a rhetorical question, although it is a direct one. There are prominent members of the community who see maemo.org as obsolete.

Says it all really. :confused:

misterc 2011-08-15 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070020)

like this, for example...
Quote:

Originally Posted by vi_ (Post 1070345)
Yeah bravo maemo forum champ misJERK.

[...]

see what i mean?

EDIT: Texrat,

maybe you could also start a "moderator thread" where ppl can talk to the moderators, instead of passing thru the council thread?

ysss 2011-08-15 16:31

Use the 'report post' button. If they're interested to chat with us then they'll do so in relevant threads or pm.

abill_uk 2011-08-15 16:36

Probably best to ignore bad posts and just get on with it because mods just complain anyhow when you report a post it seems :confused:
even to the point of quitting over it.

It is a no win situation on here with the council and moderators.

I think we should have an announcement as to where Maemo.org is going very soon..... i hope !.

Texrat 2011-08-15 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070422)
like this, for example...

see what i mean?

EDIT: Texrat,

maybe you could also start a "moderator thread" where ppl can talk to the moderators, instead of passing thru the council thread?

There is no connection between your original post, my reply, and what you just posted.

But to the point of vi__'s insult, feel free to report the post. One of the super moderators can assign an infraction point.

As for your suggestion, I like it. It would be nice to get input from other moderators...

Texrat 2011-08-15 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by abill_uk (Post 1070437)
Probably best to ignore bad posts and just get on with it because mods just complain anyhow when you report a post it seems :confused:
even to the point of quitting over it.

It is a no win situation on here with the council and moderators.

I think we should have an announcement as to where Maemo.org is going very soon..... i hope !.

If you don't like the moderation here you are always free to take up roost at any other forum more to your liking.

Estel 2011-08-15 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD69 (Post 1070232)

I don't recall, but I doubt it. The meetings logs are available.

Ok, but considering theoretical option of "dying" is little counter-effective for me. Actually, we don't need to do anything, if we want to die, it just happen, when You stop drinking/eating etc (or paying bills for hosting server, in this case). you know what I mean - if someone things maemo.org is obsolete, and don't feel like contributing anymore, it's ok - they don't have to. But I don't think why other people, still interested in project, should discuss this as an option.

As for directly asking about Nokia repos - you've answered first half of my question, Thank You for that. But, what about second part of my question - "can someone (and if yes, when) ask *directly* about it"?

// Edit

Also, i second question, why the hell are we damned to deal with abil_nonsense. Not so long ago, he was warned by chemist, that another off-topic post will get him "this time" permanently banned. From that point, he was doing it 32432432 times, including insults, fud on purpose etc. I would really like to know why supermoderators are so "selective" on their banning actions.

If this is wrong thread to ask this question, tell me. If You won't answer me, please tell me why. I think we at least *deserve* and answer why one bad guy (orange_box) can be banned, and another can't.

Texrat 2011-08-15 17:52

Quote:

Bump.

I have been unable to get an authoritative answer on this. I closed the one thread where I could.

Estel 2011-08-15 17:57

I feel Your answer may be also related to my "edit" question from last post. Can You tell us (The Community, if i recall correctly ;) ) who wasn't willing to give You authoritative answer, i.e. whom to blame?

daperl 2011-08-15 18:08

misternamecaller crying because someone called him a name. Priceless.

jedi 2011-08-15 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070511)
I have been unable to get an authoritative answer on this. I closed the one thread where I could.

Well, thanks for responding. But how come you couldn't get an authoriitative answer? Are key members not responding? Is there uncertanty of the illegalities?

Should I take my question to Nokia as they're the registered owners of the maemo.org?

Texrat 2011-08-15 18:15

There's been a lot of talk lately about moderation here, so let me share my personal moderation philosophy (note that I am only a minor moderator here with limited powers over a few sections).

I believe in moderators interacting with the community, and inserting warning posts in heated threads before taking more drastic action. Some moderators here may disagree with the interaction part but that's fine: again, this is my personal approach.

I believe willful trolling and spamming are greater threats to a community than insulting posts. I usually don't worry about a single insult-- I look for patterns of behavior. If someone shows themselves to be an obvious sociopath, or any other deliberately disruptive force, I don't feel like cutting them much slack. Members who are normally positive and slip up as typical humans do will see more tolerance. That's not favoritism, it's reason.

I don't respond well to whining. Not in posts, not in emails, not in PMs. I get enough from my kids. I expect members to be more mature... and most are by far. A few could use a thicker skin.

I believe in forgiveness for offenders sincere about doing better. I have little tolerance for persistent troublemakers, and none for those without remorse.

Every moderator here has their own approach, but the admin (Reggie|rsuplido) has the ultimate say. His philosophy seems similar to mine only much more "hands off".

As maemo.org winds down (and that's inevitable, just a matter of when) the anxiety level has increased here. So has the ratio of trolling to contributing posts. IMO we shouldn't be sweating the occasional off-topic or flaming posts as much as we should the patterns of behavior that serve mainly to disrupt the community and render this forum toxic.

But again, I'm just a minor moderator.

Texrat 2011-08-15 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedi (Post 1070524)
Well. thanks for responding. But how come you couldn't get an authoriitative answer? Are key members not responding? Is there uncertanty of the illegalities?

Should I take my question to Nokia as they're the registered owners of the maemo.org?

I don't know why I can't get more engagement on your issue. I raised it, which is really all I'm empowered to do other than close, move or delete threads/posts.

You can try escalating to Nokia, but I predict even less success there.

I do apologize, because I believe you have a legitimate gripe, but again my powers are limited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1070515)
I feel Your answer may be also related to my "edit" question from last post. Can You tell us (The Community, if i recall correctly ;) ) who wasn't willing to give You authoritative answer, i.e. whom to blame?

Ultimately, the admin (rsuplido) is the authority.

misterc 2011-08-15 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070533)
[...]
I believe in forgiveness for offenders sincere about doing better. [...]

could you explain me how sincere this post could possibly be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperl (Post 1070523)

except sincerely trying to start a fight, of course...

Texrat 2011-08-15 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070564)
could you explain me how sincere this post could possibly be?

I don't understand the question.

misterc 2011-08-15 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070567)
I don't understand the question.

you posted

Quote:

[...]
I believe in forgiveness for offenders sincere about doing better. [...]

daperl posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by daperl (Post 1070523)

what, sincerely, do you think daperl was trying to do with that post?
better?

Texrat 2011-08-15 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070585)
what, sincerely, do you think daperl was trying to do with that post?
better?

I think he was trying to get a reaction out of you. So what does that have to do with anything I posted?

I truly cannot follow your train of thought.

gerbick 2011-08-15 19:30

Has the meetings with Nokia indicated how long we have for this forum as well as how long until a solution going forward will take to be created?

timoph 2011-08-15 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1070611)
Has the meetings with Nokia indicated how long we have for this forum as well as how long until a solution going forward will take to be created?

IIRC it was stated somewhere that the bills are going to be paid until end of 2012. So that gives us some time to figure out how to proceed. That in mind, IMO it's not the council's task to figure out the solution, It's a task for the whole community.

SD69 2011-08-15 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1070510)
Ok, but considering theoretical option of "dying" is little counter-effective for me. Actually, we don't need to do anything, if we want to die, it just happen, when You stop drinking/eating etc (or paying bills for hosting server, in this case). you know what I mean - if someone things maemo.org is obsolete, and don't feel like contributing anymore, it's ok - they don't have to. But I don't think why other people, still interested in project, should discuss this as an option.

Well yes, I see your point, but there are people who think maemo is dead and that the winding down of maemo.org when Nokia funding ends should be one of the options presented to the community. I don't personally agree with that position at this time, but I think the fair thing to do is to allow it to be presented and voted on.

Plus, I do think that there is a down side to doing nothing and leaving maemo.org unorganized so that it decays with the passage of time. It's not a binary decision for most people and they just tend to gradually spend less time here. Then we have a moderator who doesn't moderate, a project without a maintainer, etc., a silent community or administrative leader. It will hurt the community psyche.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1070510)
As for directly asking about Nokia repos - you've answered first half of my question, Thank You for that. But, what about second part of my question - "can someone (and if yes, when) ask *directly* about it"?

It's a good question, but I don't know when it might be asked just because there is so much else going on right now.

misterc 2011-08-15 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070588)
I think he was trying to get a reaction out of you

and what sort of reaction would that be? a better reaction?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070588)
. So what does that have to do with anything I posted?
I truly cannot follow your train of thought.

i'm just trying to understand whether you would happen to consider daperl's posts a contribution to a better thread?

Texrat 2011-08-15 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070663)
and what sort of reaction would that be? a better reaction?

i'm just trying to understand whether you would happen to consider daperl's posts a contribution to a better thread?

I'm not second-guessing daperl further. He can answer for himself (herself?).

And no of course I don't consider his post to be "a contribution to a better thread". Same goes for most of the posts here lately IMO. What an odd question though.

I think it really is time for an "ask the moderators" thread though. Anything to get THIS one back on topic and off the petty stuff.

misterc 2011-08-15 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070688)
I'm not second-guessing daperl further. He can answer for himself (herself?).

me starts popping the corn ¦-)

Quote:

And no of course I don't consider his post to be "a contribution to a better thread". Same goes for most of the posts here lately IMO.

maybe you are mixing up trying openly to start a fight and being off topic?
not quite the same "bad thread" methinks.

Quote:

What an odd question though.

I think it really is time for an "ask the moderators" thread though. Anything to get THIS one back on topic and off the petty stuff.

petty stuff?
your pet (is it?) tries to start a flame war & it is... petty stuff!
abill_uk doesn't get banned and both the council and the moderators are... cutting too much slack.

maybe you have a case figure of an
Quote:

[...]obvious sociopath[...]

here, for once.
but of course, if it is your pet...

Texrat 2011-08-15 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070724)
but of course, if it is your pet...

I suggest you scroll back and read my lengthy post about moderation.

misterc 2011-08-15 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070730)
I suggest you scroll back and read my lengthy post about moderation.

the one i took the quote from?
afraid i read it, thank you.

Texrat 2011-08-15 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070733)
the one i took the quote from?
afraid i read it, thank you.

We seem to be having some sort of communications impasse, and I don't know the way around it. If you wish to continue via email, you have my address... but I feel the axle-wrapping has gone on long enough here. No reason everyone else should have to wade through our exchange.

misterc 2011-08-15 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 1070746)
We seem to be having some sort of communications impasse, and I don't know the way around it. If you wish to continue via email, you have my address... but I feel the axle-wrapping has gone on long enough here. No reason everyone else should have to wade through our exchange.

i'm afraid it isn't quite that simple...
why don't you ask yourself sincerly how it comes that one of the 1st developer to have received a N950, certainly not based on any favouritism, i'm the 1st to concede, is making that kind of posts in the 1st place?

i understand that whipping it under the carpet may seem the decent thing to do, but maybe the community if not the council should pounder this?

EDIT: and maybe the moderators (@ large) & Reggie too?

Texrat 2011-08-15 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterc (Post 1070756)
i'm afraid it isn't quite that simple...

Actually it IS that simple: let's get this thread back on topic or I change my mind about heavy-handed moderation.

Call it what you like, but my patience is wearing thin. And of course anyone disagreeing with my decisions is as free to report me as they are anyone else.