maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2007 / Maemo 3 / Bora (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   4GB+ SD Cards - list of working cards? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=3895)

vash 2007-04-13 00:10

Re: 4GB+ SD Cards - list of working cards?

Just recieved a 4gb ATP ProMax Class 6 SDHC card. Works fine with the sdhc kernel patch. Don't have a reader that'll work with it yet, so no definitive benchmarks - but the card feels quite speedy compared to my cheap OCZ SD card. Paid $82.11 CND (72.36 USD). Which is darn cheap compared to what local stores in Toronto are charging for the exact same card: $127.99 CND (112.81 USD) :mad:

Milhouse 2007-04-13 01:13

vash - if you get a chance, please post a benchmark (measuring the read performance) for your card in this* thread.

Unfortunately I don't have a reliable method to benchmark write performance (anyone got any suggestions?) It would be interesting to measure the real-world write-performance across class 2, 4 and 6 cards and even compare same class cards from different manufacturers, but ultimately I doubt we'll notice much difference in practice. Read-performance is likely to be the most important factor when purchasing a card (I'd definately avoid SanDisk as they don't seem to support a high-speed bus).

* The timings in the thread remain accurate even with the latest 3.2007.10-7 firmware and updated SDHC 3.2007.10-7 kernel ("kernel mk4")

profusion 2007-05-11 20:57

I just did the Kernel update and have my 4gig card working.

Specs:

4Gb ATP Pro MAX
SDHC Class 6

:)

vann5176 2007-05-16 19:52

I just wanted to say that I have problems with the 4Gb 150X Transcend card that everyone else seems to be reporting as working. The strange thing is that it would work sometimes in the external slot but then after waking it up or after a reboot, it would be gone again. It never worked in the internal slot. I tried it also with the SDHC kernel but it still didn't work. I replaced it with an PNY SDHC 4Gb ($45 at Circuit City right now, at least here in the midwest). The PNY card works perfectly.

fanoush 2007-05-16 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by vann5176 (Post 48744)
I just wanted to say that I have problems with the 4Gb 150X Transcend card that everyone else seems to be reporting as working. The strange thing is that it would work sometimes in the external slot but then after waking it up or after a reboot, it would be gone again. It never worked in the internal slot. I tried it also with the SDHC kernel but it still didn't work.

Yes, looks like N800 sd/mmc controller is a bit picky and maybe also cards differ piece from piece. I have same issue with Transcend 4GB MMCplus card. Mine doesn't work in N800 but the one Philip Langdale has, works fine with some specific workaround code in kernel. See http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=49 Luckily I have the 150x card too and this one works fine. This is mystery.

Milhouse 2007-05-16 22:02

Transcend SDHC cards appear flawless with the SDHC kernel (at least the Transcend cards I have - 2x 4GB and 2x 8GB - haven't shown any problems).

jpj 2007-05-16 22:08

Just another data point: Two Transcend TS4GSD150 cards here, never a problem with the stock N800 firmware or the SDHC patched kernel.

fluxam 2007-05-17 18:45

PNY P-SDHC4G4-RF3 working fine after kernel patch installed as per
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._to_a_computer
Main problem was I cannot find an underline key on my keyboard, so I renamed with tildes.
Transferring contents from the old Sandisk Ultra 2Gb to my PC took 45 minutes; it took 9 minutes to transfer those same files back to the new PNY SDHC card inserted to PC with Sandisk's SDDR-113 USB card reader/writer.
The stutter afflicting M4A music played from the slower card isn't
in evidence.

zorg 2007-05-17 19:14

I have once experienced a problem similar to what vann5176 reports, but only after disconnecting USB from another computer. The Transcend 150X 4GB was not recognized until I reset and the N800 would not "let go" of the USB until reset.

abject 2007-05-28 18:03

No problems with AData Class 6 8GB SDHCs (I have one in each slot) and the SDHC-patched kernel. Got 'em from Newegg. I'm using them FAT-formatted as they came, for the moment. I've had them for a couple of weeks.

Writes range from 4.9-5.6 MiB/sec (5.1-6.1 MB/sec) averaging 5.3 MiB/sec (5.6 MB/sec)

Tested reads using 2GB files with timing around a dd command like:

Code:

~$ dd if=/media/mmc1/test of=/dev/null bs=4096
These reads run 11.5-11.8 MiB/sec, averaging 11.7 MiB/sec (12.3 MB/sec).

The N800 sees 7,894,528 1024-byte blocks on these, as formatted from the factory. I can read and write all those blocks, with dd at least.

- ab