maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Design (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32935)

Flandry 2010-01-07 22:14

Re: N900 alternative boot video (maemo.org one)

Leafpad is probably not going to be able to save the file because you need root privileges (unless you start it from the root shell, thanks for clarifying). I use nano, but that's not installed by default. The easiest way to do it is probably to edit the file and save it to MyDocs, and then copy it as root (from rootsh). Edit: Or to run Leafpad from rootshell. :)

And yes, that should work for playing them sequentially.

Saturn 2010-01-07 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 458249)
Leafpad is probably not going to be able to save the file because you need root privileges. I use nano, but that's not installed by default. The easiest way to do it is probably to edit the file and save it to MyDocs, and then copy it as root (from rootsh).

Just for info, leafpad works with root privilages too. If one gets root privileges and then start leafpad then the file will be edited/saved with root privilages. (all these of course need to be done from the xterm.)

Sorry for the maybe off-topic.

Great videos guys. thanks

Jnolcox 2010-01-07 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 458302)
Just for info, leafpad works with root privilages too. If one gets root privileges and then start leafpad then the file will be edited/saved with root privilages. (all these of course need to be done from the xterm.)

Sorry for the maybe off-topic.

Great videos guys. thanks

yes it does as you described, i guess i shouldnt assume everyone dives in the root pool, i almost always go root the second i open xTerm

Code:

sudo gainroot
cd /etc/hildon-welcome.d/
ls
leafpad default.conf

Jnolcox 2010-01-07 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flandry (Post 458249)

sadly it does not, nor does putting them in the same line seperated by a ","

It currently only plays the Grimar video when they are both listed, which is strange as it is actually second in alphabetical order, but if i just leave the maemo-bright.avi as the only one it will play that video...:confused:

im workin on it as we speak and i am also trying to figure out a way to make contact shortcuts on the desktop be number specific which is also a big headache...

Saturn 2010-01-08 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnolcox (Post 458394)
sadly it does not, nor does putting them in the same line seperated by a ","

It currently only plays the Grimar video when they are both listed, which is strange as it is actually second in alphabetical order, but if i just leave the maemo-bright.avi as the only one it will play that video...:confused:

im workin on it as we speak and i am also trying to figure out a way to make contact shortcuts on the desktop be number specific which is also a big headache...

I understood the explanation from Karolina's post that you can have several .conf files and they will be played alphabeticaly. Might be wrong though - never tried it.

hih

edit: I meant to say, try to create more than one conf files and place one video per file..

Jnolcox 2010-01-08 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn (Post 458493)
I understood the explanation from Karolina's post that you can have several .conf files and they will be played alphabeticaly. Might be wrong though - never tried it.

hih

edit: I meant to say, try to create more than one conf files and place one video per file..

will give it a shot
It worked, but will only play 2 videos.

Yorky 2010-01-08 02:09

Works perfectly for me, many thanks for such a great video and for sharing it with us!

southwalesboy 2010-01-08 02:53

wicked videos! just need to learn how to use them haha here goes..

GEONXT 2010-01-08 03:11

where do i find /usr/share/hinde... to add the avi file to relink it for boot

timperi 2010-01-08 05:24

If you have changed the video, you can save precious space on the rootfs by moving the video to /opt and just making a link to it.

Here's how i did it with the fly-video installed (as root on terminal):
Code:

cd /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/
mv maemo_flyby_xvid_lame_r3.avi /opt/
ln -s /opt/maemo_flyby_xvid_lame_r3.avi

and while you're at it remember to delete the Hands-v32-h264.avi :D