maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Ubuntu (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Meizu Pro 5 with Ubuntu coming soon? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96405)

handaxe 2016-02-17 20:18

Re: Meizu Pro 5 with Ubuntu coming soon?

Hang on. I am catching up on things and it seems OMG-Ubuntu may have jumped the gun on the Mx5 Pro and convergence. Questions have been asked and info amended. Will add here later....

Later: It will have an usb-c connector and whether that can provide MHL depends on other hard-ware. And the phone likely will not have that. Bah, humbug!!!

impeham 2016-02-22 00:10

This finally looks like a possible alternative to the N900. i couldn't find any really opened device to work with until now and the N900's performance & memory are really beginning to be a problem for me...

as i understand it can fully run as root - no user per app thing - is that true?

any advantages for maemo compared to this version of ubuntu?

salyavin 2016-02-22 03:08

modem specs? What bands?

salyavin 2016-02-22 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by impeham (Post 1499375)
any advantages for maemo compared to this version of ubuntu?

Maemo can multitask for one. Maemo also has more applications for it.

salyavin 2016-02-22 03:53

See Is it possible to use Python with the Ubuntu SDK? I don't think that the current status is different:

pyqt might not be the best choice in terms of licensing commercial applications

And taken from the ubuntu-phone mailing list archive:

While PyOtherSide may work, it's not a supported language or platform for the Ubuntu SDK, so we can't guarantee that it will always work or work properly. I would encourage you to use Javascript instead of at all possible.

Bundyo 2016-02-22 05:27

Since Ubuntu also uses libhybris, the device will be a viable port for Sailfish. The onle problem for me are the 5.7" :)

marmistrz 2016-02-22 07:36

How is it with multitasking on Ubuntu Touch?

Dave999 2016-02-22 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1499399)
How is it with multitasking on Ubuntu Touch?

Not that good. Not like jolla. But I think Samsung got the best multitasksolution right now even I know that many wont agree :D multiwindow and splitscreen is more important than true multitasking for the simple reason that the user can execute several tasks in parallel.

marmistrz 2016-02-22 07:57

something concrete? will ubuntu touch kill an inactive app as Android does and as N900/desktop not?

impeham 2016-02-22 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by salyavin (Post 1499388)
Maemo can multitask for one. Maemo also has more applications for it.

can you explain? i couldn't find a source of info about this. does it use the annoying "application freeze" for saving battery of background applications like in android?

shouldn't it behave like in the desktop ubuntu?