maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New GizmoProject VoIP available (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=6401)

brendan 2007-05-19 17:18

Re: New GizmoProject VoIP available

skype also encrypts the VoIP traffic end-to-end

Faz 2007-05-20 16:49

Anyone else getting having problems connecting after upgrade?

Login Error
Connection lost. Please try again.

Reboot hasn't helped either :(

mwiktowy 2007-05-20 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpp (Post 49138)
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Gizmo is much more standards-based and interoperable (its secondary, plain-vanilla SIP account is one of its strong points). Skype has a closed and proprietary protocol, based on some sort of P2P scheme, which has it banned from many corporate networks for security reasons.

You are absolutely correct. Gizmo uses SIP which you can connect to with any SIP client/phone you want to. I use the Gizmo service with my Ekiga client all the time.

Also, Gizmo allows you to connect from their SIP service to any other that freely peers with them (Free World Dialup for example) to form a cohesive global network as opposed to the "walled garden" mentality of Skype.

Gizmo is more of a pay as you go service. About $0.02 a minute for most of the world. However, if someone you know is on Gizmo and has their landline/mobile phone in their profile, calls to those phones are free ... for as long as you are active Gizmo users.

So if you do a lot of calling to people you don't know Skype might be better for you. If you call a few people frequently, get them on Gizmo and you can reach them anywhere (land or internet) for free and pay for the occasional minutes you use elsewhere and don't pay for any you haven't used.

You get a free call-in land-line number in area code 775 (or pay for one in the area code of your choice).

You get free voicemail that will email you the phone message.

If you need encryption (something you don't get on a normal land-line or mobile phone), there are third party apps that will encrypt SIP connections transparently.

There is no video in the Gizmo client but I believe that you can use clients like Ekiga with the Gizmo service to do video. I don't have a webcam to try it so I don't know for sure.

However, in then end, there is nothing stopping you for just using both Gizmo and Skype and use them where they are most appropriate. Unlike your regualr phone, you can have as many VoIP providers as you want. Both you can download and use for free to other Internet callers. Both give you a trial credit to use with a landline for a few minutes to test call quality.

mwiktowy 2007-05-20 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faz (Post 49219)
Anyone else getting having problems connecting after upgrade?

Login Error
Connection lost. Please try again.

Reboot hasn't helped either :(

Mine worked fine after upgrading it. Try removing it altogether, rebooting (a full reboot ... not a reboot with the charger plugged in) and then reinstalling it from scratch. Like with any upgrade, old cruft could linger and cause you grief if the upgrade scripts were not written perfectly.

sungrove 2007-05-21 03:45

One difference between Skype and Gizmo in my experience has been call quality to land lines. When I am calling someone on business, I use my computerless CIT400 Skype phone because the call quality is much more dependable. I like most of the way Gizmo works on my n800 except the unreliable call quality. (obviously a key factor) When the call quality on my Gizmo-n800 does work it is pretty fun because you can just set it in front of you on the table and use the built in speakers and microphone without echo problems. I'm going to be very interested to see if Skype will out perform Gizmo in the call quality department on the n800. On the other hand, reading the Linux section of the Skype forums has not been very encouraging. VOIP seems to really depend on which device is being used. We'll just have to see how well the Skype-n800 combination works out.
Neil
Seattle

luketoh 2007-05-22 01:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by fldude99 (Post 49122)
Right-really cheap and the market penetration. Not so sure about functionality-I know that both work real good on a PC and gizmo is fine on the N800-we'll see about skpee on the N800 if it ever is available. I've heard skype works fine on S60 phones using fring however

http://www.fring.com/

We should write in to ask Fring to make a version for the N770/N800. What do you guys think?

Nik1 2007-05-24 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 49136)
Guys, i have a question. According to Gizmo's website we should be abe to add MSN users as contacs, but i can't quite figure it out. Has anyone figured it out?

"FREE call's to any Gizmo Project, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk, or Windows Live user" Thats what it states on their homepage, anyone able to do this?

dcarter 2007-05-24 02:02

it still doesn't let me press 1 to recieve an incoming call though.

...lame.

dcarter

rheve 2007-05-24 06:56

I tried to connect to my Jabber account and to add MSN contacts (my server has a gateway), no success so far

pdafan 2007-05-24 21:33

I also had trouble connecting with the new version. After that, I downgraded to the previous version and that didn't work either! I haven't tried it since last week. If anyone has a solution, please post.:(