maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nokia Dumping Lumia 800's (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87298)

ranbaxy 2012-10-09 11:09

Re: Nokia Dumping Lumia 800's

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1278335)

Out of stock :eek: :eek:

MINKIN2 2012-10-09 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranbaxy (Post 1278336)
Out of stock :eek: :eek:

Yeah, at those prices you're going to have to be quick.

I'll admit that the Lumia does become an attractive phone when under the £150 mark.

specc 2012-10-09 15:39

WP market share will explode :D

gerbick 2012-10-09 15:54

Too bad those prices have yet to fully extend to the US - 489.99 USD at Expansys.

Amazon has a few from retailers that aren't fulfilled by Amazon - that equates to "not trusted" for the most part.

NokiaFanatic 2012-10-09 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by specc (Post 1278433)
WP market share will explode :D

Nokia will also explode into bankruptcy. Selling a Lumia 800 for £149 (even before you strip out VAT, strip out retailer margin) and Nokia are taking a massive loss on Lumia devices.

Microsoft have enough cash to push WP in the long-term, but they will not be able to put out the fire which is burning Nokia to death.

specc 2012-10-09 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic (Post 1278444)
Nokia will also explode into bankruptcy. Selling a Lumia 800 for £149 (even before you strip out VAT, strip out retailer margin) and Nokia are taking a massive loss on Lumia devices.

Microsoft have enough cash to push WP in the long-term, but they will not be able to put out the fire which is burning Nokia to death.

Negative. This should have been done half a year ago. Nokia is dependent on the WP ecosystem to survive in the smartphone business. The short term profit from way too high priced Lumias (that didn't come anyway), is of no use to Nokia.

gerbick 2012-10-09 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by specc (Post 1278499)
Negative. This should have been done half a year ago. Nokia is dependent on the WP ecosystem to survive in the smartphone business. The short term profit from way too high priced Lumias (that didn't come anyway), is of no use to Nokia.

Are you being oblivious to how you cannot upgrade those phones and sooner than later Microsoft will also pull the rug from under those 7.5-7.8 phones too?

Seriously. Either you are the most daft person I've ever seen or the most successful astro-turfer I've ever seen.

Lumiaman 2012-10-09 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1278501)
Are you being oblivious to how you cannot upgrade those phones and sooner than later Microsoft will also pull the rug from under those 7.5-7.8 phones too?

Seriously. Either you are the most daft person I've ever seen or the most successful astro-turfer I've ever seen.

You will get limited upgrade. This happened with iPhone line up too. I have links 800 and its a great little phone that already received at least 3 updates. No reason to get disjointed over specc's cogent arguments

gerbick 2012-10-09 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1278510)
You will get limited upgrade. This happened with iPhone line up too. I have links 800 and its a great little phone that already received at least 3 updates. No reason to get disjointed over specc's cogent arguments

Actually, the upgrades for the iPhone 3GS have gone up to iOS 6. That's their 3 version upgrade policy, implicit or not. The "limited" nature of their updates were originally surrounding hardware that was introduced in later iterations of the phone.

But core upgrades happened regardless. 7.5 to 7.8 is not a full upgrade. It's only the start screen. Perhaps some tweaks to IE. For what it is worth, it's a half-*** update. The Lumia 800 enjoyed a full upgrade to 7.5 from 7.x (can't remember the exact number). And from there, it'll get the aforesaid half-*** update to 7.8 but never to 8.0.

That's horrible no matter however you wish to spin it.

switch-hitter 2012-10-09 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by specc (Post 1278499)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumiaman (Post 1278510)
No reason to get disjointed over specc's cogent arguments

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1iGMnJCW7E...1600/wanda.jpg
To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I've known sheep that could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs. But you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?