maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   NeoFremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   FreeMaemo/NeoMaemo/Fremantle - New phone (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93252)

shawnjefferson 2014-05-29 03:41

Re: FreeMaemo/NeoMaemo/Fremantle - New phone

It's the combination of the hardware (n900) and the software (fremantle) for me.

Running android on the n900 doesn't do it, and I think running fremantle on anything else will be a let down as well (why not just run debian?)

kingoddball 2014-05-29 03:45

Mate. Agree: If we can get a decent phone with Debian onboard, get a hildon GUI then thats perfect.
It's not maemo exactly, it's a combination of Linux, brilliant GUI and community.

nokiabot 2014-05-29 03:48

Hildon dextop should be the answer

endsormeans 2014-05-29 04:03

+1 to that.

I do admit that farting around with the convertible tablet pc with keyboard and touchscreen and x11vnc'd to a NIT...it may not be palm sized and uber portable but ...it ain't too shabby either.
I have a whack of convertible tablet pc's to experiment with ...
Having it as a full pc distro would be interesting.
1- When I'm out in the studio one of my NIT's is there playing whatever while I work.
2- In the kitchen for recipes..music etc (if I don't have mah xbmc running on the 55" sony )
3- Shopping...ESP with my lady :D ...when she wants to go into a store.
4- Hiking, camping...road trips...list goes on
The only time I'm not using maemo would be when I turn on my pc...for doing illustration work, more business,,,,or coming here.
I wouldn't mind working on and staring at my computer more if it looked and felt more "maemo" and less "BLAH"

freemangordon 2014-05-29 06:05

Please, point me to one OMAP device that has open bootloader, upstream kernel support (at least partial), uSD card slot and FMTX and I promise you, I'll port Fremantle on it in some 3-6 months :D

Estel 2014-05-29 06:18

^This. Actually, the part about omap may be a key here... If I would be given a penny every time someone comes with "awesome, fresh and funky" idea of porting fremantle to another device (android one, most likely), I would be writing this flying to some hot midterra'nean island in my private jet.

Actually, one might mix all characters from talks like this one and use it like big garbage (salt) hash table. It would be a 100% improvement in usable results we're getting from such threads.

/Estel

Stskeeps 2014-05-29 06:22

Now imagine Fremantle on this thing: https://developer.qualcomm.com/mobil...805-mdp-tablet

Now that's something I'd use.

nokiabot 2014-05-29 06:47

Omg thats one heck of a slate :eek:

Android_808 2014-05-29 07:28

I'm probably going to face a backlash here, but how about looking at a zte open c. 1.2ghz dual core snapdragon. yes, I know its not an omap and it doesn't have a hw keyboard. Adreno gpu so we could use freedreno drivers if necessary. screen res is iirc the same as n900. ram is higher. if we got it working it would pave the way to support other snapdragon devices or using a snapdragon soc in a neo900 like project.

other reason is they're only £70 new direct from zte's ebay page.

jake42 2014-05-29 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1427168)
Please, point me to one OMAP device that has open bootloader, upstream kernel support (at least partial), uSD card slot and FMTX and I promise you, I'll port Fremantle on it in some 3-6 months :D

I guess you know about gta04. Just to be sure.
gta04-Features