maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N9 / N950 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Tethering N9 to Nexus 7 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85688)

original_z 2012-08-06 15:44

Re: Tethering N9 to Nexus 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattaustin (Post 1243252)
I just got tethering working using Bluetooth between the N9 and Nexus 7. I prefer Bluetooth tethering when I don't need a super-fast connection as it goes easier on the battery.

I installed an app on the Nexus 7 from Google Play called "BlueVPN [DUN Client]". I then paired the devices, started BlueVPN, and set the Access Point (3G) name in the settings. I could then link to the N9 and use my 3G connection.

I've also read that this works more reliably when wi-fi is turned off on the Nexus 7.

I had some problems getting this to work initially, but got it now! thanks. Any advice on whether this should be used sparingly, or if it is safe to use for long periods of time? I have seen people say that wifi-hotspotting is bad for the battery.. what about this?

thanks again

colin.stephane 2012-08-06 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattaustin (Post 1243252)
I just got tethering working using Bluetooth between the N9 and Nexus 7. I prefer Bluetooth tethering when I don't need a super-fast connection as it goes easier on the battery.

I installed an app on the Nexus 7 from Google Play called "BlueVPN [DUN Client]". I then paired the devices, started BlueVPN, and set the Access Point (3G) name in the settings. I could then link to the N9 and use my 3G connection.

I've also read that this works more reliably when wi-fi is turned off on the Nexus 7.

Hi,

Can you be more verbose about the android part configuration, I have tested also BlueVPN on my ICS tablet but the connection always fail ...

A++

original_z 2012-08-07 15:48

when tethered via this method, I have no problem browsing the web, but I seem unable to get anything done in terms of download/install from the Play Store and the Gmail App seems to hang when trying to send or receive emails. Not sure why...

korpenkraxar 2012-08-07 21:57

The Amazon Kindle Keyboard ereader refuses to connect to ad-hoc networks.

It would be very nice if the N9 could be hacked to provide a WPA/WPA2 connection option, although I suspect that this requires digging around among kernel drivers and modules.

colin.stephane 2012-08-07 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by original_z (Post 1248739)
when tethered via this method, I have no problem browsing the web, but I seem unable to get anything done in terms of download/install from the Play Store and the Gmail App seems to hang when trying to send or receive emails. Not sure why...

Hi,

Can you be more verbose about the android part configuration, I have tested also BlueVPN on my ICS tablet but the connection always fail ...

A++

mohi2k7 2012-08-08 04:16

Is there a way to enable the WiFi hotspot on the n9 without it being in adhoc mode? Since the nexus 7 doesn't detect that mode of broadcasting... although Bluetooth internet connectivity is possible its less then idle not that I'm complaining....

rainisto 2012-08-08 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohi2k7 (Post 1248956)
Is there a way to enable the WiFi hotspot on the n9 without it being in adhoc mode? Since the nexus 7 doesn't detect that mode of broadcasting... although Bluetooth internet connectivity is possible its less then idle not that I'm complaining....

#2 message in this thread, already answered the question. Not yet, untill someone releases such an app.

skribzy 2012-08-08 10:09

Finally got round to getting this sorted today!

Work perfect, massive thanks to Mattaustiin for the solution.

FYI - how I got it to work...
- Turn wireless off on Nexus 7 (N7)
- Pair devices via Bluetooth
- Under 'settings' on BlueVPN (N7) select access point and enter the APN found in the N9 under settings> Internet Connection > Edit Networks > *your mobile internet network* (in my case its - general.t-mobile.uk)
- In BlueVPN select the paired N9 device (it will start to show its trying to connect)
- When the big 'power' style button comes up on BlueVPN you are connected!

Mountains of WIN!

Dockman 2012-08-09 22:16

It works! Mostly.
It's a bit fiddly to get going, but the biggest problem is that when it comes to download stuff from Google Play, it doesn't recognise that it's on a network! It won't download! Grumble.

larkw 2012-08-13 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by skribzy (Post 1249052)
Finally got round to getting this sorted today!

Work perfect, massive thanks to Mattaustiin for the solution.

FYI - how I got it to work...
- Turn wireless off on Nexus 7 (N7)
- Pair devices via Bluetooth
- Under 'settings' on BlueVPN (N7) select access point and enter the APN found in the N9 under settings> Internet Connection > Edit Networks > *your mobile internet network* (in my case its - general.t-mobile.uk)
- In BlueVPN select the paired N9 device (it will start to show its trying to connect)
- When the big 'power' style button comes up on BlueVPN you are connected!

Mountains of WIN!

How can you download BlueVPN from Google play store in the first place? I get "This app is incompatible with your Asus Nexus 7". Jelly Bean 4.1.1.